Closed A Sailors Life For Me!

Kavala and Riaris attempt to teach themselves how to sail.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

A Sailors Life For Me!

Postby Kavala on January 21st, 2013, 6:27 pm

The 40th of Winter, 512 AV

Kavala was glad the weather was mild, even though it was winter. When she met the man at the port docks down below the waterfall, he'd eyed her skeptically and had taken her gold anyhow. The man rented boats. He rented lots of boats. He had big boats, small boats, and sometimes things in between. He didn't ask her skill level. He didn't care. All he wanted was her coin and that was by and large good enough for him.

The sailboat wasn't expensive. And she had it for the whole day and as many days after as she wanted. Kavala had packed a large backpack full of supplies, both emergency and food. Foremost on her mind was that she'd stopped by the Shipwrights and had looked in on how they were doing on her Catamaran and had found the hull partially put together. It was sitting upside down on large pilings and men were cutting timber and fitting them together with something called a shiplap style, adding adhesive that was water proof. They swore to her it would be strong, ride well in the water, and be just what she'd asked for.

Riaris hadn't been there. The Konti was very disappointed when she'd finally worked up the nerve to ask one of the workers where the violet Akalak might have been. A day off, had been the reply, and she'd nodded, unsurprised that her timing had been so terrible as to miss seeing him. Kavala had tried very hard to not bother him. Their time together had been very special to her and she didn't want to be the clingy lurking sort that caused a man to dodge out of sight when he saw her coming or otherwise made excuses. She knew if something was to come of their first meeting and the events that had transpired, it would happen naturally and not with her chasing the man like she had nothing at all better to do.

The co-worker of Riaris' had seen her large pack and asked her if she was going to take a trip. The Konti had grinned, shook her head and told him no not really but she was prepared for the worst. "I'm off to rent a sail boat, and I've a book on how to sail. The weather is supposed to be good for the next few days so I thought I'd take my chances and begin to teach myself to sail." She added, tapping the backpack.

"This is just in case I get lost, hurt, or otherwise. The healer in me likes to be prepared." She added, giving the men a smile. They inquired as to if she was a healer then, and she nodded and lost a few precious minutes looking at a few cuts and bruises and one rather nasty gash that had happened that morning. Kavala didn't mind. It was something that was often asked of her when people found out she was marked. So after a bell at the shipyard she was off to the market for some additional foodstuffs, then to the port, rented her boat, and was then busy stowing gear on board.

She pulled out the copy of the book on sailing, and the man who rented her the boat rolled his eyes having lingered near by to watch her. He carefully then took the time to show her how to run the sail up the mast, then how to gently tack out into the harbor. Kavala nodded, listening to his basic basic instructions carefully, then reviewed what he sand and compared it to the book she had. Once the man was confident she wouldn't destroy his boat taking it out into the harbor, he left her alone. Kavala was almost sorry to see him go. And while she could swim and that was no issue, she just didnt' want to fail at sailing, not after ordering her own ship. And she wasn't going to fail. The healer pushed the negative thoughts aside. The Konti knew she could do it, but she just dreaded trying it alone.

Kavala almost wished she'd invited someone, anyone, maybe a Sanctuary person or maybe even the shipwright she knew to join her. Discovering something together was far better than discovering something alone.

"Okay
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

A Sailors Life For Me!

Postby Riaris Dovukalis on January 21st, 2013, 11:08 pm

It was his day off from work as well as from guard duty with the Kuvay'Nas , but Riaris was still just as busy. The Akalak had spent some of his time in the Kendoka Sasaran sparing with a few others, some Akalak and others of a different race. Once he had finished his workout, he took a break to cool off and have a bite to eat. After a bell, he made his way to Gideon's Glory arena for a different type of work out. He stepped inside and removed his coat and left it to be hung. He headed inside, finding a free bench and setting himself up for a workout. There were other Akalak standing around the area. Some just finishing as well as starting their workout, and others who were spotting them.

Riaris wasn't worried that he didn't have a spotter, there were plenty of men standing around who were close enough to step in if he needed the help. There was also the fact that he preferred to workout alone. The was a balance to it all, and having time to himself as well as with others played a key part in how he worked out and to what degree. When he worked out with another, whether it was in the dojo or the arena, it was normally set at their pace. However when he worked out alone, he could go beyond and push his limits as far as his physical being would allow. With the area clear, he took a moment to stretch and reawaken his muscles from the ware they obtained in the dojo and readied himself.

Riaris kneeled in front of the bar, the combined weight of 200 lbs was leveled out between the iron. He reached out wrapping his fingers around the bar and took a deep breath, before lifting it over his head and to rest on his shoulders. He adjusted his legs, being sure that while they were bent, that they remained shoulder length apart. He took another breath, his eyes focused, looking far past the people, and even the stone structure that surrounded them. When he was ready, Riaris stood up slowly, keeping his back arched, head forward and hands holding the bar in place.

Once he was standing back to his full height, he breathed out again, and lowered himself back into a squatting position. Again he stood keeping the bar over his shoulders and his legs apart as he stood back to his full height, then lowered into another squat. The Akalak continued this routine until he reached 50 and stopped to rest. Once he was ready to go again, he would lay back on the bench and bench press the same weight amount for 50 more pushes, before stopping and moving on to the rope.

It was a good workout, and once he was finished he headed home to bath and relax his mind and body, as well as to find more food to eat. It was a steady pace for him, and while most of his day was busy he'd always found time to unwind and cool off. Riaris left his home a few bells later and headed to the shipyard. It was his day off and he didn't owe any time in. But there was something he wanted to check on. The men had been hard at work on Kavala's Catamaran. The Konti hadn't intrusted him alone with the building of the boat, but he wanted to oversee the construction himself. After all, Kavala wasn't just any customer, and he figured that he owed her that much.

It had come as a surprise to him with he arrived to learn that the woman had already been in the shipyard for that very same reason. The men seemed pleased to speak of her, and openly spoke of their admiration of her beauty. Most of them hadn't a clue that Riaris had left the shipyard with that very same woman only days ago, and spent bells in her company. He hadn't told them, and he wouldn't for a time. The growing relationship, friendship or whatever one might call it was between Kavala and himself. He also learned that she had been carrying a large pack and going off to rent a boat.

He recalled having a conversation with her about sailing, and was impressed that the woman was taking her plans seriously. After inspecting what was built of her boat, he exchanged a few words with the crew before heading off. Riaris made his way to the waterfall and found the port docks. He was just about to find and ask the boat renter about where she was when he spotted them together. He could only smile as he watched her, finding it hard to imagine the little woman manning the craft all by herself, but on this day at least she wouldn't have to. Riaris moved to the edge of the port hoping to catch her before she started off into the waters. "What are the odds that we are both taking lessons on this day at this very time."
Last edited by Riaris Dovukalis on February 3rd, 2013, 11:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The more you try to silence me, the more I'm gaining ground.
Riaris Dovukalis
Prediction?......Pain

Words: 299930
Joined roleplay: November 25th, 2012, 6:39 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (2)

A Sailors Life For Me!

Postby Kavala on January 25th, 2013, 10:20 pm

Kavala glanced around at the sound of the familiar voice and smiled brightly. "Astronomical. Hello Riaris, Recoomas..." She said with a smile, glancing at the rental boat man and then back at Riaris. "Unless say one dropped by the shipyards perhaps looking for a chance to run into someone and left word where she'd be all morning hoping if he happened by his employers he'd hear of her endeavors and would perchance join in the reverie." She said, laughing slightly. Kavala never talked like that but she was nervous seeing him again. "I'm glad you came. I packed enough supplies for two in case I did run into you. I know you said you wanted to learn to sail after working on all the boats day in and day out." She added, looking around and moving things so that she could easily make room for him on the small craft.

"I've a book on sailing. A quick explanation on how to tack out into the harbor and an assurance the day is going to be good enough weather wise for a beginner. Also, the Harbor Master said no big ships were scheduled in so its a good time not to get run over." She admitted laughing.

She took a moment to study him as he climbed on board and the boat owner left. He was as she remembered, though in the light of the day he seemed even larger than he had been in the Coils Club. There was room for three people, sure, but it was a stretch and the rental man would not be going anyhow. He waved to the couple and Kavala nodded her thanks. "You missed a lecture on parts, but I wanted to go over them anyhow." She said, taking a moment to smile at him as he got settled. What she really wanted to do was rise to her feet, slip her arms around him and offer him a hug and a kiss. If he made any such move, she'd gladly reciprocate, but she didn't want to push him with displays of affection before their relationship had clear boundaries or lack thereof. In many ways they were strangers and she wasn't sure the affection was welcome. Maybe after today, after doing something together that wasn't what they'd done in the club, it would be more appropriate.

Kavala flipped open her book, noted for a moment that it was going to get wet if anything splashed them and a light shield against salt water might be in order, and carefully read off the parts. As she read them off, she touched them, running her hands over the items and referencing the diagram to make sure she was right. It was the best way she learned - hands on - and in many respects it was the way she'd learned the man that just joined her. That merited a light laugh to herself, and she glanced at him as the wind picked up slightly, causing the Jib sail to ruffle slightly.

"You ready for this? I have my obligations taken care of for hours today so I don't have to be back before tonight. The boat is rented for as long as we want it in the next few days too." She added, looking pleased. Then she held the book for him and let him go over the parts as well, knowing it was something he probably already was familiar with working as a shipwright.
diagram :

As he did so, she concentrated slightly and in essence warmed up her djed, oozing it outward in an almost vapor form over the book. She encased the book in a shield, spreading out the magic across it and nonchalantly dipping a finger into the salt water and adding a drop to the magic to add the tasking of blocking such things from touching the pages of the book. It should do well enough out on the sea with froth and foam and blown waves to stay dry as they used it.

"Are you ready to take it out? There's a lot of terms to use and a lot of language to learn, but there's clear instructions on how to sail outward, to get away from a dock." She added.
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

A Sailors Life For Me!

Postby Riaris Dovukalis on January 27th, 2013, 8:27 pm

Riaris smiled at the woman, she was still as proper and formal as the day they first met. It was refreshing to know a woman who had respect for the Akalak out of liking instead of fear. Her tone was lighter and more friendly, which told Riaris that she was happy to see him. It was a good thing as he had gone out of his way to find her again, it would have tasted sour if she hadn't wanted his company. "I suppose if..someone went to such lengths than those odds might not be so surprising." He joined her laughter and glanced down at the supplies as she spoke of them. "You've made preparations....were you so sure that I would come?" It took him a moment to wipe the smile from his face, she had set him up well. Laid the grounds for their meeting then pulled him in. "Well played Kavala." he thought to himself.

He turned a glare towards the boat owner and made his way aboard the vessel. The boat rocked slightly, though it wasn't unexpected. Riaris had been aboard boats in the past, but actually steering one himself would be a new adventure. Once he was on the boat, he stood tall, choosing not to sit and instead watch his companion from where she sat. The woman looked as lovely as the first time that he saw her, and although he would never admit it, he thought often of the time they had spent together. It had only been days past, and for a time there was a lingering feeling, and he could still taste her and feel her body against his own.

"I know the basic parts to most vessels, but I haven't as of yet put them into use." Working in the shipyard he had many opportunities to learn about the different types of boats and ships and what parts went to what vessel. Still he allowed her to go over them with him, and listened as she checked everything off. He glanced up towards her then, cocking a brow mischievously as she mentioned having the boat for the full day.

"Well then, let's sail out and see where the winds take us. Perhaps we will stumble upon an island of ripe fruits? Or maybe not..I'd rather not sink on my first try at sailing. It's better to take it slow....we have the day after all."

Riaris moved to Kavala's side and sat next to her so that they could both look over the book at the same time. The Akalak gently slipped his arm around her and pulling her closer so that they could stare a bit of warmth between them. To anyone looking, it might appear that he was helping the tiny woman to understand the instructions in the book, when that couldn't be further from the truth. Riaris found himself reading over the instructions a second time, and mentally applying the knowledge in his mind, anything to make the attempt easier.

"I think that we can handle it. It couldn't be too hard I'm sure, and if it is..we simply won't admit it." he chuckled as he looked to her and taking in her striking blue eyes. "I had hoped to see you again soon, and to spend more time with you. Our last parting left something of a...yearning..but I'm glad that you decided to do this."
Last edited by Riaris Dovukalis on February 3rd, 2013, 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Riaris Dovukalis
Prediction?......Pain

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Featured Thread (2)

A Sailors Life For Me!

Postby Kavala on February 3rd, 2013, 3:52 am

Kavala smiled at Riaris and didn't say anything as he spoke, then eventually joined her. When he slipped his arm around her he felt her tense up for a moment then shiver slightly. She flushed, cracking her smooth and polished professional exterior and he could tell almost immediately that he had a decided effect on her. When he turned and met her gaze, his face friendly and relaxed, she relaxed too. Her body was traitorous, remembering his touch instantly and doing so in an insistent way that distracted Kavala enormously with its immediate heat.

Kavala started to open her mouth to say something to him, to thank him for coming or to respond to his words... but instead she simply leaned into him, lifted her head, and kissed him. It wasn't a light lingering touch of sweetness. Instead it was an aggressive taste that spoke volumes in terms of agreeing with his words. Yearning was a good term. She closed her eyes, hugged him to her briefly to deepen the kiss, then released him. She blinked, shocked at herself, and then smiled a moment.

"I don't know if its a good thing or bad thing I couldn't stop thinking about you after we parted ways. Ten days... seemed like forever. Thank you for coming. I really mean it that I'm glad we could spend some time together."
Kavala said. She brushed his cheek with her thumb and leaned in for another kiss. The Konti left no bones about what she meant, nor did she seem afraid of intimacy with Riaris.

But they were here to sail. If they mastered the art a bit while the weather was nice and the harbor was empty, then there was time enough later for more getting to know each other time. Kavala had already gotten careful instructions on how to tie off the sailboat and how to beach it safely since its hull was fairly shallow for its type of craft. There were dozens of beaches up and down the coast.

"Okay.. sailing. We need to understand about the basic points of sail... according to this book. Then we can do a checklist and get under way."
She said softly, flipping to the page and showing him the diagram. "Evidently the left side of the boat is called the port side. The right the starboard." Kavala confirmed then showed him the diagram.

"The points of sail are important because we can't move the boat unless we know where the wind is. The wind needs to be at our back and we need to keep the boat's sails in certain directions. Look here... all sail boats are governed by the same principle. Evidently it’s impossible to head directly into the wind. So you have to get around that factor by the way you sail counter to it." She said, showing him the diagram.

"The sailing positions, otherwise known as the points of sail, depict to the angle between a sailboat's heading and the direction of the wind. There are three basic positions:

• beating (wind is from ahead)
  • reaching (wind is from the side)
  • running (wind is from behind)

She ran her finger down the page, carefully reading the common. She spoke aloud. "When sailing on a beat, the boat is as close to the eye of the wind as possible, about 45 degrees. This is the optimal place. The mainsail is pulled in, with the boom slightly over the transom or back of the boat. If the boat is pointed too close or high to the wind, the forward part of the sail will luff and flutter, causing a loss in speed. Progress when sailing windward is done by tacking, or zig-zagging and changing the direction of the boat from one side of the wind to the other. The boat is close-hauled on the port tack when the wind is coming from the left, and is close-hauled on the starboard tack when the wind is coming from the right. Optimal sailing means the wind is always at ones back. But in life and in sailing, one cannot always control the wind." Oh boy, it sounded horribly complicated. Kavala kept reading...

"The boat is on a reach when the wind is blowing across the boat or abeam, at a 90 degree angle. If sailing on a reach, one is sailing at an angle between close-hauled and running. The sail is out at about 45 degrees, making it one of the most pleasant yet ineffective ways to sail. When running, which is also called sailing before the wind, the wind is blowing from behind or astern, and the sail is out at 90 degrees to the hull of the boat. "
Kavala said, glancing at Riaris to see if he followed her logic. Then she looked down and found two more interesting things.

"There are also two intermediate points of sailing, as shown by the diagram. These are:

• close reach which is between a beat and a reach
  • broad reach which is between a reach and a run."

As she continued reading, it started coming into view. "If you understand how the wind effects the sails and how moving the boat into one position or another will effect the direction you move, sailing will become easier. Getting to know the points of sail is critical in becoming a good sailor. Once a person is familiar with the points of sail, one will always know how to trim their sails, and arrive at their destination safely." She glanced at Riaris. It was all making sense now.

She said pushing the book aside. Kavala stretched a moment, then flipped the page, picking the book back up. "Okay... lets see... first things first." She said, reading on down to the basics.

"It says we need to check everything carefully. There are two types of rigging... standing - when we are not sailing - and running - when we are sailing. All the standing rigging, the ropes that support the mast and everything that secures them like the cotter pins need to be in place and none of the lines tangled." Kavala said, getting up to do just that. She thoroughly inspected the lines, making sure nothing was knotted or tangled. Then she went back to the book to see what else was on the agenda before they got started.

"Okay, now we need to check the lines that raise and lower the sails. This is the running rigging, I think. They control the sails..." Kavala checked the diagram and found out the sails were called the halyards and sheets. "We need to make sure that the sails are separated, not wrapped around each other or fouled on anything else, and that they all have a figure-eight knot on the end so they cannot pull all the through the sheaves and left to flap."
She added. Kavala waited this time, letting Riaris check this portion.

"Next it says we need to pull all lines out of their cleats and off their winches. There should be nothing binding any line and they should roll off and on the wenches cleanly." She nodded, doing as the book said and giving a nod to indicate that part was up to par.

"Finally, we need to watch out for the boom; it's just swinging around at this point. It should be swinging free, unfettered at this point. If its not make sure it is so, and then we're getting ready to sail. Check the tiller, make sure its motion is free and its properly attached. When all this is done, we're ready to set sail... erh.. hoist the sails!" Kavala said, grinning at Riaris as she did the last of the checks.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

A Sailors Life For Me!

Postby Riaris Dovukalis on February 5th, 2013, 9:05 pm

It shouldn't have come to him as a surprise at this point, after all Kavala hadn't been the least bit shy in the past. But it did surprise him a little and the fiery kiss that she planted on his lips warmed him from the icy touch of the winter's embrace. Riaris easily, willingly leaned into it, and wrapped his arms around her tiny waist as he pulled her tightly against him so that he could fully enjoy the taste of her moist lips. But for Riaris the kiss didn't last nearly long enough and broke away just as his hands started to move about her slender figure.

Riaris smiled at her, his gaze first lingering on her kissable lips, before finally lifting to find her eyes. He listened to her confession and offered her a chuckle in return. "Had I known you were missing me..I could have come by the Sanctuary at any time." He stared into her eyes as she touched his cheek with her thumb and lifted his own to brush across her lips. He was sure that she understood him, and that he would be there for her when she needed him..for anything.

As they sat, Riaris moved to cuddle Kavala and wrapped his arms around her and glanced at the book from above as she went over the list. This time wasn't as much to appear that he was helping her to understand anything, he just wanted to be sure that she was warm enough. Kavala was as tasty as the sweetest of fruits, and like with anything delectable, the Akalak simply couldn't keep his hands off her. He leaned down a bit, gently planting a kiss about her neck here and there, mostly to drive away any remaining nervousness she might have, but also in a teasing manner.

But the time for public affection was over and his companion was ready to set sail. He released her as she stood to do the first off the check list. He checked the book himself for a bit, just to make sure that he was getting it all without losing his way from the first talk through. The Akalak stood up and moved to the sails and inspected them to make sure that they were separated as they should be. A thought crossed his mind as he continued to check the sails, and he wondered why the boat renter didn't give lessons as well. It would surly gain him more business that way.

It was a wonder, although if the man had offered to stick around and teach them, Riaris would have quickly run him off. This day was his and hers..as was the boat. Riaris helped Kavala with the next part, making sure that the lines were out of their cleats then letting out and retie the boom. He paused for a moment, seeing a possible collision with said object and turning to Kavala. "It's best to be careful here, watch your head."

Once that was done, he glanced up towards the indicator on the mass to check the wind's direction. Riaris could only guest at this point, and he hoped that his guest was right, or it would be a short trip. Then it was on to the next step, securing the mainsail and jib to their shackles on the boom and bow of the boat. "We're almost set to go." He added as he searched for a tick and found the outhaul line at the back of the mainsail and pulled it tightly into the cleat.

Riaris moved to check the book again then proceeded to raise the mainsail, followed by cleating the halyard with the jib and raising the front sail. Once that was done and both sails were free, he turned the boat 45 degrees as explained in Kavala's book. He gave another glance towards the Konti as he moved to trim the jib sheets on either side of the boat, and turn it away from the pushing winds. "Ah..here we go."
Riaris Dovukalis
Prediction?......Pain

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Featured Thread (2)

A Sailors Life For Me!

Postby Kavala on February 7th, 2013, 9:15 pm

As she watched him work, following what he was doing with what was listed in her book, Kavala smiled. Her face softened and she realized that for the first time in a long time she was having a good time. He was affectionate, attentive, and for a big man when he moved about the boat it was with a warriors grace that she sat back and appreciated. When he often passed close in the small confines of the sailboat, not being able to help herself, she'd often reach out and touch him as he trimmed the sails and played out line keeping his eyes on the telltails dangling off the mainsail.

With his taste on her lips and his warmth slowly cooling her side, she moved to the tiller as he handled the sails. She watched him adjust the sails for the wind, following the instructions closely they had at their disposal. She leaned on the long wooden bar, gently steering the ship into the wind and gave a little cheer of joy when the sails caught the wind and the boat picked up speed dancing across the bay.

"We're doing it! We're sailing!" She called out, watching the Akalak duck the boom and make a few more adjustments on the lines. The wind was not strong, but it was perfectly steady which gave Kavala a chance to work on handling the boat, zigzagging across the bay for the wind was blowing directly into port. The return trip would be easy with the wind at their backs, but getting out into the bay itself was a bit more challenging since they had to sail against the wind. The water was choppy too, but then again Plunge Pool Bay always was, especially closer to the falls. So while they picked up speed the boat rocked in a way that made Kavala laugh and cling to the tiller as she headed them out into the main body of the bay.

"Do you feel the water beneath us? The weight of it? I feel so small!" She called shouting slightly because the wind was stealing her words away. It was blowing his scent to her at angles and she smiled at it, tipping her head back and enjoying the cold winter sun and the wind that was causing them to bounce across the waves as they close-hauled, about forty five degrees, into the wind. For all its small size, the boat was fast and soon they were out in the middle of the bay. There were other boaters out there, but nothing big and no one close to them.

"Lets turn!" Kavala said, warning the big Akalak warrior. "When I give the word, I'll turn the boat, and you pull the jib sheet out of its cleat and let it swing the same way the boat is turning across the bow! That should give us a smooth turn." Kavala said, pointing to the sheet was was talking about. "The boom will swing with the main so watch it! It says the mainsail will come across so don't forget to duck it as it sets on the other side!" She called, laughing as she got ready, leaning forward and gripping the tiller.... "Now!" She cried.

Things with Riaris were exciting. She felt alive calling directions and manning the tiller. She could tell immediately they made a good team. And as they came around in a smooth circle, the boat hardly loosing speed and the sails filling with the wind now at their back. She tied the tiller off and stood up and cheered again, crossing to him and hugging him while still gripping the side of the boat as it danced. She pressed herself against him, hungry for him, and stole another kiss, acting more familiar with him than she perhaps had a right to be. She laughed as the boom flared out, catching its ropes and standing firm. The boat was just big enough that both of them standing on the same side didn't cause it to be unstable, but if there were more than one of them they might have issues. She hoped, sooner or later, they'd be able to find a quiet spot to spend some time alone, away from public eyes and get to know each other better.

"Want to trade now? You steer and call directions and I mess with the sails?" They'd only came a short way, circling the bay, the whole big ocean out there beckoning to them.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

A Sailors Life For Me!

Postby Riaris Dovukalis on February 10th, 2013, 10:40 pm

Riaris gave a hearty chuckle as Kavala joyfully called out to him. She was really enjoying herself and he was as well. He had never sailed before, even though he worked on boats, but never dared to take one out. The Akalak had often wondered what it was like to sail on the open sea and now he knew. He finally understood the excitement and impatiences of the people who wanted to get back out on the seas faster than their boats could be repaired. He understood it all now, and with Kavala at his side, he could sail the seas to the very end of the map and beyond their natural lands.

He watched Kavala work, while keeping at eye on the sails, and making sure that nothing happened. He had no way of knowing what to expect but with billowing sails a novice couldn't be too careful. Riaris moved slowly about the boat, trying to steady his balance so that he didn't topple over the side of the boat as he moved to check the equipment on the other side. The winds were calm, no hard gust forcing them to go faster than they were ready to, or stopping them in place to where they sat idle on the waters. Still there was a unique feeling, as if they were gliding on the air.

"Under the circumstances I can see why you would feel that way. Perhaps next time we should get a bigger boat." He joked, but there was meaning to his words as well. The boat was big enough to hold them both, but Riaris would have preferred a larger craft that didn't seem to fragile on the waters. Of course there wasn't a boat or ship that could tame the sea, but having a sturdier, bigger boat would have been more to his liking. It was a fun ride, however and the sight of the winds blowing through Kavala's long blonde hair brought a smile to his face. Then she wanted to turn the boat and take them in a different direction.

"Alright, I'm ready when you are!" He called back, forcing his voice to boom over the roar of the winds. He didn't know if she had any plans for where they were going and if so she hadn't shared them with him. For him, it was just a fun ride and having a destination wasn't all that important. They had the entire sea to explore.

"Go for it!" He yelled back once again, and moved to his right and pulled the jib sheet out of its cleat to allow it to swing across the bow in the same direction that the boat turned. He ducked quickly waiting for the swing to cross over his head, all the while trying to keep his large form crouched in the corner. It was a smooth turn, very smooth which gave the Akalak a bit of pride from their teamwork. He stood up and gladly took Kavala into his massive arms again. With her body pressed against his, they kissed and he gripped her thighs firmly as he lifted her from the floor and into his arms.

There was an intense aura about her, something that made him want to forget social boundaries and allow the animal-like urges to free themselves and devour her right there. She laughed suddenly about something he apparently missed and so he kissed her instead. Her lips were a tasteful delight and something that was just as fresh and moist with each kiss. He continued to hold her in his arms, finding her body as light as a feather and as warm as he remembered.

"Mess with the sails you say?" He joked hinting at her choice of words. "Well try not to mess with them too much, they'll do their job."
Riaris Dovukalis
Prediction?......Pain

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Featured Thread (2)

A Sailors Life For Me!

Postby Kavala on February 21st, 2013, 7:36 pm

She was having fun, for all that she felt a little awkward on top of the water rather than in it. The Konti was graceful usually, her unarmed combat having helped her a great deal in that department, but on the boat there were ribs to step around, gear not to get tangled in, and sails all around. There was a lot of opportunity to stumble, fumble handholds, and get tossed as the boat bounced on a wave. But it was so much fun. Even with the cold wind and Syna giving off almost no heat, Kavala was enjoying herself fully.

Riaris had the boat set in a pattern that would carry them out to sea in a fairly straight line, and while she wanted to change directions and mess with the sails a bit, getting a feel for the boat, he waylaid her in his usual manner - picking her up - and kissed her soundly in response to her own flirting. He held her tight as if she weighed nothing at all, and she wrapped her legs around him so he didn't have to hold her so tight to secure her.

She started to laugh again, the joy within her at being out on the sea hard to repress, until she caught sight of his expression which was a mixture of intense male Akalak and savage primal need. Her smile died a moment and she leaned forward kissing him as well, cautious and soothing all at once. She ran her hands down his head and wrapped her arms around his neck. Kavala then smiled, almost shyly, and then kissed his forehead gently.

They'd met less than ten days ago. Within a bell of meeting they were in a private club tearing at each other's clothing out in the open without a care who witnessed their union. Two bells later they were in a private place and had spent all evening loving each other's bodies. He was a virtual stranger to her but it scared her how deeply physically attracted she was to him. Kavala wanted to get to know him, to learn who he was, to meet his other half, and to slow things down... but Akalaks never did anything slowly or subtly. They were masters at controlling their environment and there was no hope of doing anything in a human manner when no humans were involved.

Instead she smiled at him after the initial surprise at his expression and reached her hand up to trace his lips. "I've missed you terribly. I have no idea what's happening between the two of us, but I feel it too.... what I see in your face. I don't even know how to talk about it. But I see what I feel reflected in your eyes, Riaris. And I feel like I can't get enough of you... not now, not ever. It scares me a little. My people don't do things this way. There are talks and dowry's and gifts of horses and cows and sheep before there are gifts of bodies. But that ship has sailed..." She grinned slightly at her phrasing. "I have no living father to talk too. My brother is not Ankal. I no longer wear the bracelet that makes me Riverfall's property. There is no permission needed but my own, and I give it to you freely until something happens and I revoke it." She had thought a lot of things about herself that Riaris had completely and utterly changed her mind on.

After Cugacon she thought she'd be broken - her mind shattered like he'd shattered her body. She thought being held like this would never hold any appeal to her ever again. Every Akalak she'd ever been involved in had revolved around the damn bracelet on her wrist that gave them rights to her body without her consent or desire. Every time one had led her into privacy she'd followed not out of a yearning for it, but because her debt weighed heavily on her mind. It was something she'd probably never be able to explain to Riaris even if he cared to know. And she wondered, suddenly, if it would have been different for her... if all the scars she carried would not have existed... if he'd been the one to remove her silver bracelet and forge her one of gold. Would Tasival now have a father? Would he have married her and freed her from her status instead of taking pleasure and walking away leaving her half dead?

Did Riaris even realize how much hurt and pain she carried inside?

Kavala needed this - this sailing, this laughter, this fun. She needed this man to make her forget about scars she had no desire to hold onto. But the more she held onto him the more she realized she didn't need to have it easy. All that she had was earned, not given, and her life and the past was a forger of who she was now. If he'd been first, or even the one who had pulled her from that wagon cage, she'd have been weaker for it. And she vowed silently, as she stared into his eyes saying nothing for the longest time, that he'd never see that side of her - that broken hopeless shattered woman that had wanted nothing more than a quick death.

And so as he stared at her, his primal emotions flickering across his face briefly, Kavala lost her laughter and leaned quietly to him. She kissed him once more, but then she started to speak. "Be sure this is what you want, Riaris... and Recoomas. Be absolutely sure. Because I am not nor will I ever be someone who isn't in it for the long run. I am not a fling or a piece of ass to tap when the urge strikes you. I'm the best I've ever been right now, and I will be better tomorrow than I am today... I promise you this. And if we keep getting together, you're going to fill my belly with another child. It is inevitable. And I'll have no more fatherless son's roaming around. I want you like I've never wanted anyone else in my whole life. But it comes with a price. Do you understand?" She asked, her alto voice dropping a few octaves into a more silky smooth whisper.

"We've had our fun as strangers. But from here on out it needs to be something more. I'll slide all this clothing off and you can have all of me once more, but I want all of you in return. I... I can't even think straight around you it seems. I need to touch you, taste you, even have all of you before I can even focus with you around. I have no idea what to ... even think of that or do about it. It's insanity. But it is what it is."
She said, relaxing against him, feeling more comfortable suddenly having said what she said. It might be laying too much on him, but she needed to do it. He needed to know. And she hoped he understood. Because she wanted more than anything for him to nod, agree to everything, and simply touch her forever.

And as if Zulrav laughed at the Konti's serious tone and sought to snap her out if it, the winds died a moment, shifted, and the mast boom swung around and slapped Riaris soundly in the side hard enough to bruise, just above where Kavala's legs wrapped around him. Even tied off it had enough free play to swing distractedly and make it dangerous for him to keep holding her up, cradling her against him.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

A Sailors Life For Me!

Postby Riaris Dovukalis on February 24th, 2013, 11:33 pm

The boat sailed at a steady pace and headed out into the sea. From the distance that they had covered, if one looked back they could tell by the amount of the city that appeared so small to explain just how far out they were. But Riaris didn't look back, his gaze was fixed on the woman in his arms. She smiled and laughed and he could only do the same. But secretly, and he would never tell her this, Riaris was a bit nervous at how easily she made him laugh.

Riaris kissed her, and she in turned kissed him back. They kissed a lot in fact, and to anyone else it would probably appear that they knew each other well and had been intimate for a long time. No one would have guessed they'd only just met days ago and couldn't get enough of the other. Although normal relationships did have a way of starting off hot and exciting only to settle down to boring later on. But he wasn't concerned that he would have that problem with her.

He held the woman close to his chest, wanting to have her as close as possible and not caring about holding her up without help.She was as light as weather and with a smirk upon his lips he started to bounce her a bit in his arms just for fun. Then he stopped as she spoke to him about her feelings for him and what was growing between them. "I agree, there are some things that are a mystery, but some things don't need to be spoken either..not completely. I can never get enough of you Kavala, of that much I am sure, nor would I want too. We've had a time...you and I, and this is only the beginning."

She asked if he was sure if this was what he wanted. Could there had been an easier question? Being an Akalak he knew of the measures they wen through in order to find a woman and make a child. But this was more than some honor bound duty, or attempt to repopulate his race. Kavala was his and he was hers for as long as they wanted it to be so. There was a chance at love, a bond, a family and everything that came with it. For better or worse he excepted this and saw no reason he shouldn't.

"There is nothing that I want more Kavala, and to have you, a child, a family, is more than any man could wish for. I accept your price if you can accept me for what I am, and who I am." He smiled at her again, finding it cute how even when she was being serious, her voice tickled his ears and her words sounded sweet and gentle.

She spoke of undressing and allowing him to have her at once and Riaris nodded his head. It wasn't a surprise really, as he had her once before in public and then bells later in her private room. She couldn't get enough of him and he wanted her just as much. Already he could feel the blood in his body working it's way in a rush to tense up and bulk his muscles for what he assumed to be a wild ride. "It will be more, so much more and as I have met your family I would like for you to meet my own. They are good people and will welcome you as if you were one of us." He chuckled at the mention of the insanity of it all and kissed her again.

"Madness, but if it wasn't for this maddening passion that I would feel the urges to do such things with you and in public places no less." Riaris was getting in a better mood now, one more jovial then the serious tone that Kavala had created, that was until the boom swung around a smacked him firmly. The Akalak grunted, stifling the sharp nodding in his side as he glanced over his shoulder. A tick later, and as he could already feel the rushed boiling inside cooling and settling back into place, Riaris turned back to face her. "I suppose we should tend to the boat.."

Riaris Dovukalis
Prediction?......Pain

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Featured Thread (2)

Next