Words of the Resident LARP Goddess

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Fallon on January 21st, 2015, 2:23 pm

Splatter images:

So, I got asked about how to make splatter images. Whilst I gave a rough tutorial in a PM (see running speed tutorial below), I felt it didn't really explain and thus - figured - that perhaps having a vlog of sorts would actually help do the job. So, on came the desk top recorder and out came the mic. So people know, this is for GIMP, not Photoshop or any other software out there - though you may be able to transfer some techniques across. I waffle (a lot) as always but hopefully the point get's across to those who are curious about it. Also, thanks again for Aliara Cantrell not only for her patience in getting her template but also being cool with me using her as my demonstration.

The final piece can be found in my Coffee Break codes for those who are curious. ;)

Running speed tutorial:
  1. Make a new file with the canvas the size you want - clear the background.
  2. Make a "Splatter" layer. Pick a splatter colour - I normally pick black or white for ease. Make sure it's clear.
  3. Put in your background image as a new layer. Do the same again for your foreground image.
  4. Cut out what is wanted of the foreground picture, clean edges off and get in position on background. Then, do a select all of it and do a fill layer of it beneath. Back on the actual foreground image, select screen - this will help you determine where the foreground image
  5. Select the background image, select screen again, then select the splatter layer. Pick your splatter brush, and start splattering away! It should, in theory, produce the background image on top of the splatter automatically.
Hope that answers the curious.

Also, something I noticed. Fallon is two years old today. How time flies.

-Fallon
FALLON
Fallon | Coffee Codes | Skill Images

Fallon is a Master of Intimidation, "At this level, a Master intimidator often unconsciously intimidates their target unless the intimidator monitors their stance, tone, and actions to prevent this. Master intimidators will nearly always have a reputation that precedes them unless they have taken special care to prevent it."
Fallon
The Red Wolf

Words: 2242110
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2013, 4:24 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Fallon on January 22nd, 2015, 6:25 pm

Coding WIP

I broke. I'm letting you guys and gals see what the latest bit of WIP CS I'm working on - still very raw and not yet had everything yet done with. It will (hopefully and eventually) be Fallon's new CS template. Here's to it looking right!

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Writing area width is presently 490px wide.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

Date 1 year: Stuff happens. Now let's say I'm wordy, what then happens to the other, second dot?

Date 2 Year: wordy wordy word

Date 3 Year: wordy wordy word

Date 4 Year: wordy wordy word Another point another time

Date 5 Year: wordy wordy word Maybe should be wider?
FALLON

Fallon is a Master of Intimidation, "At this level, a Master intimidator often unconsciously intimidates their target unless the intimidator monitors their stance, tone, and actions to prevent this. Master intimidators will nearly always have a reputation that precedes them unless they have taken special care to prevent it."
Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Fallon on February 11th, 2015, 5:52 pm

The Big Vlog:

Did I tell you it was big? Anyway, thanks everyone for the questions (I've put them below). As to what I meant when I was on about "those ruins" I was suggesting the Nyvanni - they just seem like a bundle of fun potential.

• Vanessa Lawson: Why did Fallon start the Scars?
  • Perplexity: Where do you see her going now that the Scars are disbanded?
  • Perplexity: Who has been most influential in Fallon's life so far?
  • Perplexity: Who would you say has the potential to make the biggest impact on Fallon's future?
  • Perplexity: Tuna or salmon?
  • Perplexity: Do you like potatos?
  • Perplexity: Custard or ice cream?
  • Kreig Messer: What color makes Fallon shudder?
  • Kreig Messer: ...if a woodchuck could chuck wood, would a wood chuck chuck wood?
  • Perplexity: How does it make you feel to have had Fallon for 2 years?
  • Perplexity: What's an impossible goal that you can see Fallon chasing?
  • Perplexity: If you knew then what you know now, would you have made Fallon differently?
  • Perplexity: What has Fallon taken away from her experiences in Sunbearth?
  • Perplexity & Treachery: What are Fallon's plans for Zeltiva? Is she going to blow it up?
  • Treachery: Is your hair as soft as it looks?
  • Treachery: How would Fallon react if she meet that journeyman again only to discover he had gotten lost and needed more directions?
  • Caelum: I'd love for you to give like a three sentence bio of a past life. his race/gender/profession. And/or -- Explain/demonstrate Zyd's idea of rain dancing.
  • Irriari: What types of threads do you hate to write and/or have the most difficult time writing? Why?
  • Chat Demand: Do the R- Snap, as named after Rayage: Well... you'd start at the top, do the curve & snap, go down the first leg and snap, back up & snap, down and snap, then a quick double snap as you take it back to the start.
FALLON

Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Fallon on February 20th, 2015, 7:53 am

That time of year

Yep! You guessed it, I'm off LARPing again this weekend. Going to kill some monsters, talk politics, shout in the name of a god, tell same god off and partake in general foolery of the wet and cold kind - showers cometh all weekend. I've had my keen for this event for a few months now - it's the first event after the long winter season, and as some of already know, there's a new costume this event too - though how cold/wet proof it is I'll find out soon enough. I've been told to give pictures as always - so watch this space for more. In the meanwhile however I'll just throw this teaser costume design up and let your imaginations do the rest. :P

However, me being away until (essentially) Monday means that I won't be on Mizahar as much! So those who I owe responses too or those who are waiting for me to answer/plot/do things with - I'll try and get back to you ASAP sometime next week.

Happy Writings,

-Fallon
FALLON

Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Fallon on May 5th, 2015, 8:45 pm

On Break

I'm going to say this as simply as possible - I'm going on break for a week from Mizahar 6th to the 13th of May. I can hardly think straight outside of generating plot ideas and posting is like the equivalent of drawing blood from a stone - a long, arduous and increasingly difficult process. I also have assignments and end of University things to worry about. As they have my priority even if I do find myself loathing them I'm going to hopefully be able to focus on them a bit more clearly with one less thing to contend with. While I'll be about to answer PM's, I'll be refraining from posting or appearing in chat during this period.

So, see you guys soon!

-Fallon
FALLON

Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Markus Andres on May 6th, 2015, 10:58 pm

Don't worry... I will use this time to respond to our thread and then poke you for a response... No doubt I will have fun with this!
Markus Andres
The OTK

Words: 1104443
Joined roleplay: September 14th, 2010, 7:43 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

Postby Balian Martell on May 7th, 2015, 1:06 pm

Your Costume design looks amazing! and your avatar looks pretty Bad A.

Well Good Luck with your end of University Stuff!
To hunt, you need to know your prey just as well as you know yourself
a
Balians Wilderness Journal
Balian Martell
The young hunter

Words: 113544
Joined roleplay: November 12th, 2013, 2:35 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Fallon on May 13th, 2015, 7:17 am

Mission Success!

Well, sort of mission. I guess. Kind of. Not really. Mission of education - woo?

So anyway, I am back after my week away of general doing and being busy. While I'm not exactly up to date with posts I have however managed to achieve the completing of university work and now only have to worry about exam revision (excellent), finished a LARP faction and God write up for my main group (praise be to Dragon worshipping Vikings), voted for the government over here (because elections), had a geology debate to attend and begun grinding away at solos that are way over due on finishing - cue mass post release. To finalise the week away, I got called forward for a job interview and while there always is the possibility that nothing will come of it there is a satisfying feeling that one managed to get through - mixed with an absolute terror I have to go forward before a panel.

Another thing I am going to consider is the starting of a routine of some form, or writing habits. Going to have to see how that turns out, but at the moment I'm thinking:

• Monday: Fallon solo day
  • Tuesday: Post response day
  • Wednesday: Zydrunas writing day
  • Thursday: Post response day
  • Friday: Fallon solo day
  • Saturday: Post response day
  • Sunday: Zydrunas writing day
As for the song of the week, well this has been on repeat a lot of the time:

Also, something I forgot to put here last time in relation to the last LARP event, hurrah new costume! It was actually done, dusted and looking pretty awesome. It was a shame it was a febuary that was really cold, raining hard, and leaving frost on the ground - enough so that it started making me cold and had Game's Control telling me to go home before I got worse (I did of course and suffered for the next few days warming up). However, while there wasn't therefore any pictures of me running about in the kit I did instead manage to grab an amigo to go and take some photos. So for those who are curious (warning big pictures);
front :

back :

And you can view other shots (should you desire to) here on photobucket. So, yeah, enjoy. Watch this space. Something, something, words of wisdom.

-Fallon
FALLON

Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Fallon on June 13th, 2015, 5:23 pm

13/06/2015 Update: I am alive, just busy - lots of things going on at the moment. Interviews, sorting out the Uni flat, moving back in with the folks, dealing with a few family problems, job hunting, etc. Last few days have turned into a blow, though hoping to aim to get out a post response a day and soon move onto Summer threading - which'll be few and probably focused on job threads accept for what's mentioned below.

I'm looking for a threading partner (that I click with - I'm fussy) and/or someone to take on as a student to learn projection. The latter of course has hoops in which to jump (as seen in my plotnotes), so those willing to do the running and tick the following points do drop a PM my way expressing interest and we'll plot something out:
  • Meet and know Fallon.
  • Find out she is a mage - while she won't use it in public, she may use it if there is only a couple of witnesses present as a "tool".
  • Convince her to teach ICly (note, Fallon does not initiate on the first occasion ever) - don't bother offering the trade of magics, she won't be interested.
  • One or two theory lessons and aptitude testing - i.e. seeing if the individual is suitable for learning and isn't (simply) crazy/insane/has the potential to frenzy and go on a killing spree. This also allows the teaching of the basics of magic theory.
  • Accept that even after said above hoops have been jumped she may still not initiate.
Sound like an interesting arc at all? Up for the challenge? Usual, drop a PM - I'll try and respond to those ASAP as I get back into the swing of things.

Keep writing Mizahar,
-Fallon
FALLON

Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Fallon on August 4th, 2015, 7:42 am

Catch up

So, since my last update way back when (it feels like way back when at least), a few things have gone on in the real world over the past few months. To start with I finished my exams, packed up from my flat and moved back in the folks - so long independence! - and spent a few days doing the unwind, unpacking and prepping for a LARP event. Then there was LARP, we killed things, we did politicking, we hid in the shade and became rather familiar with bottles of port. After that, came the job applications. While I've had a couple of interviews (and thus far managed to snag one part time job - though, of course it is only a temporary measure while looking for something full time.

Then by July it was all hands on deck after the university decided to turn round and say "Congratulations, you failed your course". Not something particularly good to hear and something to send your heart going. Regardless, after much strangling, shaking and getting out of the university that I had the choice of either repeating the year part time to re-do my thesis or surrender with an ordinary degree, I chose the latter option. I did not enjoy my course, I did not understand it, and I sure as hell not going to repeat a year just to do that. So, in the end of it all I ended up graduating with an Ordinary BSc not so honours edition - not the best, but certainly better than nothing.

Also means I can put BSc at the end of my name now either way, so win-win.

Moving on, during this time I've been taking up little projects here and there. Starting with I was working on a LARP faction write up, getting their history down, religious stuff done and solved, military and a culture brief - I was told to stop writing when I hit 10k. Another project I've been working on is painting leather scales for some rough experimental armour I've put together out of scraps. While it's still in the to be finished stage, it's proven as a nice enjoyable little break from the screen when needed - probably be a picture when it's done. Then, there was another LARP event, my little faction grew in size (again) and we have our plans sorted out for the rest of the year. The next will be in September.

Then, end of July there was the graduation ceremony - yes I wore a mortar and gown, yes it was hot and uncomfortable, but it was good fun. If anything it served as a point of realisation that I am most definitely no longer a student and have to face the adult world. A little bit daunting, but I'm getting there, slowly, I hope.

So, what does that mean now? Keep on writing probably, at a slightly slower pace as I go job hunting and fish for interviews. And grind out those sailing solos, slowly but surely. Slowly. Slowly...

-Fallon (BSc)
FALLON

Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

PreviousNext