Suggestion Box

Please post your locations, NPCs, creatures, plants, and anything else here for critique and submission. This thread is for finished projects.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Inside the Icehouse is Avanthal’s development subforum. This forum is designed to support all Avanthal players in an OOC manner and allow players across Mizahar to contribute to the development of the city and the Vantha race. Found within are the Suggestion Box and other threads meant to contribute towards the development of the city as well as threads to aid players in their story and plot planning process.

Suggestion Box

Postby Noblesse on May 3rd, 2013, 6:06 pm

I appreciate the thought and effort poured into this location and I don't want to just let this one go, but there is a reason why there currently are no formal schools of magic, or even just any sort of formal schools in Avanthal at all. The Vantha do not feel a need for formal institutions of learning since children are usually taught by their parents in the specific craft their Hold specializes in.

As for magics, leeching, voiding, and summoning are a firm no no within the city. Mages found practicing such disciplines are immediately arrested by the Icewatch and taken in for questioning. Remember that the Vantha are more wary of magic than some cultures, and the only disciplines they really only accept are reimancy and auristics, and they take special measures to ensure that these magics cannot be used to damage the city and harm its citizens. Exactly the reason why the city's mages are encouraged to live in the Barracks, both to the mages' protection and containment. Spiritism is tolerated but seen as frightening as it deals with the soul of the departed. Hypnotism, once its true power is truly understood, will be feared by the people and users of this magic can be seen as a potential threat.

People who really want to learn magics would have to go and approach a mage with the particular expertise and ask for an initiation. The screening process is often hard because a mage is almost always a city guard as well, and they go out of their way to make sure that the person asking for apprenticeship is worthy of learning the magic, and he or she does not have any psychological disabilities or mental illnesses that will affect their good judgment. A crazy mage is always one of the most dangerous ones after all, and the Icewatch knows this.
Noblesse
Let them eat flavored snow!

Words: 181013
Joined roleplay: February 25th, 2013, 5:29 pm
Race: Staff account
Office

Suggestion Box

Postby Miria on May 4th, 2013, 9:44 am

Alrighty. Hear you loud and clear.

So besides the two people on the npc list is there anyone else that can initiate or otherwise teach whatever magics is on hand?

I got somewhat confused when I saw magic is a requirement for the Icewatch seeing there weren't many members who readily practiced it according to the npc list.

In any case I'll drop a moderation request for an initiation in auristics seeing as that is what I'm limited to.
Don't ever be a sheep. If you HAVE to be a sheep at least be a rainbow sheep.
Miria
Knowing me. Knowing how to love again.

Words: 236304
Joined roleplay: December 10th, 2012, 6:07 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Suggestion Box

Postby Noblesse on May 4th, 2013, 10:01 am

Oh no, magic is not a requirement for initiation into Icewatch, merely a suggested skill. Actually, quoting the lore page for the Icewatch:
these skills are not requisite but having these skills will help your character be better prepared for the life of an Icewatch guard

So even if you had not yet met the suggested skills listed there you can still apply to serve in Morwen's army. Having these skills just lessens the chances of you dying during the initiation and the actual time you are sent out into potentially dangerous missions. :)

Would you still want moderation for your initiation in auristics even if it's not really required? You have to be prepared to face the stigma most mages face within the city, especially since a lot of them were involved in crappy things just this Fall.

Edit: Sorry, I missed your other question there. There currently are no other people in the npc list who can do initiations into magic. However, I can make one upon request. You are also free to make one if you really want to.

I plan to add more npcs to the list soon, probably after the season change. I'll see about adding a couple more mages as soon as time permits. :)
Noblesse

Office

Suggestion Box

Postby Una Tanta on May 20th, 2013, 5:46 pm

Luctor et Emergo (a.k.a Lemergo)
Fauna

Frequency: Extremely rare, almost mythical in its existence.

Major Features: Entirely covered in fur their young look like walruses from a distance. They have webbed front paws with claws and when grown are the size of large whales.

Abilities: Their roars are said to power the storms that sweep across the ocean, sinking ships in their fury. Their roars escalate most loudly during their mating season as this is the only time the shrill lionesses raise their own voices in harmony raising the winds. In actuality, they are massive creatures rivaling the size of giant whales and as such breed infrequently and have long lifespans, the few seen on shore appearing like walruses are their young when they are first born but of each ~100 born each year one or two will hunt out the others and slaughter them. There is only so much food in the sea for such large and ravenous creatures. Like most sea creatures they are docile when full.

Summary/Abstract: While they have only been seen from a distance, and only long ago there are many ballads and poems to their greatness and their effect on the Sea as well as their legendary appetite. Large teeth from orca’s are sometimes sold as teeth from the Lemergo though there have been no proven cases of a death. They eat mainly large catches; Orca’s, whales, walruses (for a snack) and besides ships or threatening creatures are likely to leave other things alone.

History: Though females theoretically exist none has ever been seen, their history is mainly told in stories but in reality BV there were a great many in the North.

Appearance: An anatomically correct lions’ body up to the paws complete with fur, which is either gold, white, or black. His nose and ears are absent and are instead gills. They live North of Avanthal and when spotted by their icy neighbours at a distance on the southern mating grounds (still north of Avanthal) they are undistinguishable from walruses and disappear before anyone can get close.

Una Tanta
Be The "One Day"

Words: 371301
Joined roleplay: May 15th, 2013, 2:11 am
Race: Charoda
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Suggestion Box

Postby Una Tanta on May 20th, 2013, 5:55 pm

Battle of the Balladic North

A bear saw I rise,
From the broiling waters,
He brandished his claws,
Set in tumultuous battering paws.

Craven we were, Unwilling to rise.
It grew swiftly, a storm now a brewing.
A dream of an ice-bear means a gale from the east
Battering Ice Wall gates came the windy beast.

Jedara bathed in night sky hair
Appeared through braids crested and wild with lack of care
She raged at the bear her blade bright and gleaming
And brought him to halt
At the steps of Ice wall gates.

I dreamed last night of dead women come hither
Bathed in night sky hair, crested and wild with lack of care
I raged with a voice bright and gleaming
my prophetic dream spilling over my lips like crabs forward teeming

Too late is thy speaking
For so it is settled
From the faring I turn, the going is fixed
Our lives shortened, muted,
abbreviations in the snow

Then bright shone the morning
The Ice guards all ready
They said they would charge as one mighty shield,
Yet each held the other back, eyes shifting.
If one were to sway, to stumble, or fall
For certain they would all.
Their actions shortened, muted,
abbreviations in the snow.

Yet Jedara rose, armed with prose.
Aware of the hesitation of comrades once brave
A new path they pave
All we, fight against the east gales
Armed with only companioned tales
At the hearth we join together
To die, only when our friendship cease, never.
Our enemies actions shortened, muted
As our army, together a ballad,
a trampling ocean flow.

Other InfoA popular ballad of Avanthal, though it doesn't describe real events it is an ode to Jedara's peculiar strengths for an Iceguard leader and emphasizes the importance and dependence of Avanthal on teamwork and celebrates comradery.
Una Tanta
Be The "One Day"

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Suggestion Box

Postby Noblesse on May 29th, 2013, 2:23 pm

e
Una Tantum - I apologize for responding so late! I'm still just catching up with all backlogged work, hence the delay with my responses.

Anyway, I've looked over your two submissions and I'll give my review on both of them respectively.

The Lemergo seems to be a creature too fantastical to be immediately added to Avanthal's bestiary. A creature that is almost mythical in existence, and has all these powerful abilities to boot, should be submitted to the World Development forum instead. If you wish to go through with developing the Lemergo then you will have to get an HD ticket for this.

As for the Battle of the Balladic North: I'm not really picky with songs and any other artistic verses, but I feel iffy approving it as is. First of all, bears are an important part of the Vanthas' culture so I doubt a song where Jedara pokes a bear through the chest would get that popular among them. They'd be rather mortified, actually.

Also, I'm not very fond of these two stanzas:
4th and 5th stanzas :
I dreamed last night of dead women come hither
Bathed in night sky hair, crested and wild with lack of care
I raged with a voice bright and gleaming
my prophetic dream spilling over my lips like crabs forward teeming

Too late is thy speaking
For so it is settled
From the faring I turn, the going is fixed
Our lives shortened, muted,
abbreviations in the snow

It felt like the song suddenly teetered away from its original line of thought here. If you can tweak these lines a bit then that would be amazing.

You don't have to worry too much about this part if you don't want to since it may just be nitpicking on my part. However, since this is supposed to be a ballad of renown, It has to make as much sense as possible and be actually to the Vanthas' tastes, yes?

e
Noblesse

Office

Suggestion Box

Postby Una Tanta on June 10th, 2013, 7:46 pm

Ideas

Oh. I think I miscommunicated. I meant the Lemergo to be a mythical creature. I thought it might be good inspiration for future ballads or mythological stories. I thought it could be used by the Vantha to explain shipwrecks & etc. A role like the Kraken in RL, you know? Hopefully that puts it in your realm to give the pretty sparkly green checkmark to ;p

Here is the revised version of the ballad:

I saw a bear rise,
From the broiling waters,
at the port of Avanthal.
He brandished his paws,
and cliffs of claws.

A dream of an ice-bear,
means a gale from the east.
Battering Ice Wall Gates came the windy beast.
Growing swiftly it hunkered down,
Threatening Morwens icy crown.
Craven and unwilling to rise,
Avanthal knelt,
Not to Morwen that day.

Jedara came,
bathed in night sky hair.
Wielding the moon,
She brought it to halt.

Too late is her action,
For so it is settled,
From the faring I turn, the going is fixed.
Craven and unwilling to rise,
Avanthal knelt,
Not to Morwen that day.

Jedara came,
Bathed in night sky hair.
Wielding the moon,
She beckoned Avanthal.

Then bright shone the morning
The Ice guards heeding,
They said they would charge as one mighty shield,
Yet each held the other back, eyes shifting.
If one were to sway, to stumble, or fall
For certain they would all.

Jedara came,
Bathed in night sky hair.
Wielding the moon,
She beckoned the bear.

Jedara rose.
A new path they pave,
Together.

All we, fight against the east gales
Armed with only companions
At the hearth we join together
To die, only when our friendship cease
Our enemies actions shortened, muted
As our army, together a ballad,
a trampling ocean flow.
Avanthal knelt,
To Morwen that day.
Una Tanta
Be The "One Day"

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Suggestion Box

Postby Una Tanta on June 10th, 2013, 8:09 pm

I was also looking at other cities that have season challenges and noticed we didn't have any :3 Course you are super busy so I thought I would pitch in some ideas!

Summer

June:

-Attend Jedara's Party
-Search for lost cave exploration group.
-Play a harmless prank on a Vantha.
-Learn to Ice Skate, Or if you know how teach another person to Ice Skate.
-Go to a funeral.

July:

-Help or hinder the Frostfawn in trying to contain or cure the contagious disease in the FrostFawn Stables.
-Help with renovations to the sculpture yard.
-During a severe snowstorm spend your night indoors with someone you hate.
-Spend the day clearing the path after the snow storm, and get hurt doing so.
-Go on a date with someone, gaze at the stars.

August:

-Provide a Jamoura with refuge.
-ingest too many chill berries accidentally.
-A family member or friend gets married and you find them Morwens orchids for the wedding.
-get seduced by Ray'ken or Laria.
Una Tanta
Be The "One Day"

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Suggestion Box

Postby Una Tanta on June 12th, 2013, 11:57 pm

Constellation
Dog of Dira

~Image to Come!~

Name: Dog of Dira

Region: Taldera

Uses: Life Lesson, Warning from Dira, Prayer

How well known: medium

How easy to recognize: medium (when pointed out anyone can see him but only someone with Astronomy skills (novice min.) will be able to find him on their own)

Visible During: Winter

Description: 6 stars make up the body, 2 the tail, and 5 the legs. The head is made from three stars forming a triangular shape. The largest star is the one at the breast of the hound. The largest star is called Shishtar, the others are as of yet unnamed. Its snout appearing on the horizon in the first day of winter when Morwen leaves it runs scared through the sky for the whole season before disappearing in the spring.

Creation Story: Running scared through the sky the Jackal the Vantha looked for a constellation for many years that could be chasing it. With no constellation behind it, and its creation story unknown, the Elders believe it is a jackal running from its own tail. They say it is the jackal of Dira, because it was made in the likeness of the Jackals After and Before. It is a symbol of Diras philosophy, one must never run from death, as this Jackal does, or one will spend their entire lives running only to disappear on the horizon, just as every other soul must, in the end. The constellation is to children a frightening image, a Jackal running until it perishes on the horizon, stabbed by the icy sea. But to the Elders it is a planar gift from Dira, a warning to the Vantha, and to ghosts who seek to evade her. You can run as far and for as long as you like but death will inevitably find you.

Other: During the Djed storm the constellation changed, during spring the constellation will sometimes be visible, on the darkest and clearest days, however when it is visible the dog appears upside down, already dead. It is said when someone without astrological skill is able to spot it during the spring, that it is a message from Dira warning the individual their attitude does not please her.

Una Tanta
Be The "One Day"

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Suggestion Box

Postby Noblesse on June 22nd, 2013, 5:41 pm

Hey Una!

So this is late, again. Sorry, I never seem to be able to reply to this thread earlier... Anyway.

Thank you for clearing up what you wanted with the Lemergo. If it's a just a myth, I suggest creating a story around it instead of going about in this format. That way, it's not misidentified as an official animal found within Avanthal, but associated to myths and legends as it should be. It doesn't have to be very long. You can describe the beast as you go much like how you described it here, but preferably in folktale sort of way.

For the Battle of the Balladic North, I think it's good the way it is now. We'll have to ask V's opinion though, just in case I missed something somewhere. :)

I would like to add seasonal challenges to the city too! Although if we're going to do it, we would need challenges that are, in a sense, vaguer. If these challenges are very specific only a few set of people will be able to accomplish them. I'll try incorporate them into the city, though I don't think I'd be able to add June anymore since it's already way too late into the month for that.

As for the Dog of Dira, I'd say a constellation with these many stars to locate will be hard to recognize. I've found some grammar and spelling errors too, but they're pretty easy to spot and correct.

Instead of "made in the likeness of the Jackals..." it's better to say that "it shares a likeness" since constellations are not made per se, they're just spotted and given shape by people.

I'm not sure if the Djed storm could have affected the stars in their heavenly abode in any way, but I find it odd that a whole set of stars were able to flip themselves by 180 degrees, yet the stars around them were untouched.

Now I'm no expert in astronomy, but the reason a star or a constellation is only visible during so and so seasons is because the earth revolves. Naturally as the world moves the stars will fall out of view, so since this star is only visible during Winter, it really shouldn't make an appearance in Spring, Dira-induced or no. You can have people spot it as a warning if you want, but only within the Winter season.
Noblesse

Office

PreviousNext