Suggestion Box

Please post your locations, NPCs, creatures, plants, and anything else here for critique and submission. This thread is for finished projects.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Inside the Icehouse is Avanthal’s development subforum. This forum is designed to support all Avanthal players in an OOC manner and allow players across Mizahar to contribute to the development of the city and the Vantha race. Found within are the Suggestion Box and other threads meant to contribute towards the development of the city as well as threads to aid players in their story and plot planning process.

[OOC Chat]Beware of Frozen Noses

Postby Minosayaa on August 13th, 2013, 7:05 pm

The Bejeweled Tusk

Off to the left of the town's center sits a large building of icestone. It is a moderately large building. During the day it sits quietly showing off it's intricately caved exterior that glistens on rare sunny days. The icestone used to make it is in most opinions flawless. The stone is not completely opaque nor is it too transparent.Allowing light to flood through during the day and pour out throughout the night. The only residents interested in the ice building during the day are the occasional Frost Hawk perched upon the ice spires waiting for a snow hair to venture too close.

All but abandoned during the day the beautiful masterpiece comes to life in striking colors. Music echos loudly from within and the ice block walls shimmer and glow from the lights inside making patterns of greens,blues,and purples.
This is The Bejeweled Tusk, a whirlwind of nightlife color. It is a place to see and be seen by the youngsters of the Vantha holds. Girls go to gossip, dance, and drink only the 'coolest' and 'trendiest' mixed drinks and the guys go for the girls.

Inside the glowing club the bar, tables, chairs, and the large gleaming dance floor is made of icestone. The walls are expertly engraved with carvings ranging from animals to flowers to depictions of Morwen. Live musicians play nightly. The icestone inside is colored and dyed and stormgems are placed inside carved holes casting the mesmerizing colors the Jewel is known for.

The main attraction is of course, is the shimmering and glowing dance floor.The floor is made of individual colored blocks of icestone arranged into patterns and swirls. To give the floor it's trademark glow, a layer of stormgems in placed underneath the icestone blocks. The dancers on the floor move to the upbeat rhythm, and as they move the stormgems underneath create a strobbing effect that can be seen from outside The Jewel. The musicians keep the tempo fast and loud with drums and clappers. Melody is captured by ocarinas, flutes, and maybe even a trumpet or two depending on the night. The Vantha may dance however seen fit, sometimes all moving as one or everybody doing their own thing. Nobody judges as some Vantha flail about wildly and other dance with great grace in pairs. It's all good out on the dance floor.

If dancing isn't your thing, the Bejeweled Tusk offers drinks that are found nowhere else. Making use of the natural herbs and berries the Jewel has cocktails such as the Chillberry Snowstorm, Winter Snap Blitz, and a drink after the winter queen herself, The Morwen. Other more common drinks are served such as ales and wines, both common and fine. The alcohol is kept perfectly chilled in custom carved ice dispensers. What each dispenser is holding changes nightly, allowing all of their different drinks to be rotated in and tried. Even if a drink is not on rotation that night, there's a good chance the Jewel will still have it in stock. Although it might cost you a couple extra Mizas.

The Jewel make great use of the local artists who carve amazingly intricate and detailed ice luges. Most depict a subject close to the Vantha heritage. Luges shaped like Frostfawn deer or birds are somewhat commonplace as well as abstract looking luges or ones that look like snowflakes. Although with the natural temperature of Avanthal the luges don't melt much if at all, they are routinely switched out giving a new local artist a chance to shine, celebrate and of course party.

If you have the Miza and want to avoid the crowds the bejeweled tusk offers
four private rooms for group parties such as Bachelor or Bachelorette parties and coming of age celebrations.

Private Room 1
A room favored by women with pink,purple and light blue hues. The room's mood can range from romantic to homey. This room fans out into a gazebo like terrace. With a ceiling overhead to keep the snow off one can still enjoy being out in the night scenery. Seats line the rounded end of the room open to the cold. Many Vantha have been proposed to within this room.

Private Room 2
Another feminine room with lovely lavender hues making it feel more mature than the first room. This room sees it's share of bridal and bachlorette parties. Although completely enclosed from the outdoors, this room is known for sculpted trees and flora. Beyond the sculptures the room has a minimalist feel.

Private Room 3
This room is the favored room for members of the Ice Watch. Spacious with brilliant colors it's a room fit for polar bears! The seating even caters to them with all seats over sized to an average Vantha. A set of separate ice luges are always set up for use in this room.

Private Room 4
A moody blue room where many Vantha men like to gather for private parties. From bachelor parties to birthday parties this room is almost always buzzing with the men folk.

The Bejeweled Tusk is run by a large group of cousins. Some tend to help and work more that others.

The Cousins :
Name: Feniana Winterflame
Race: Vantha
DoB: 41st of Summer 486AV
PoB: Avanthal
Title: The Bartender
Skills: Vinting:10
Philtering:10
brewing:30
Gnosis: 1 Mark of Morwen
One of the two founders of The Bejeweled Tusk. Feniana is the driving force behind the bar. Her passion is making cocktails, so when you order one of her creations you know it will be one of the best you've ever had. She's friendly and outspoken. Strangely enough, if a fight breaks out with The Jewel she's the one who breaks it up and throws them out. Get on her good side and she may let you sample her newest creation.

Name: Neliselle Iceglaze
Race:Vantha
DoB: 19th of Winter 485AV
Title: Head of repairs
Skills: Singing:5
Masonry:20
Architecture:20
Carving:5
Neliselle is the second founder of The Jewel. Not only did Neli come up with the design of The Jewel, she helped build it. She views it as her baby and handles all repairs herself. She often brings her younger brother to watch and learn from her. Cold and kept to herself Neli does not go out of her way to leave her corner where she stands or to talk to anyone. It's unknown if she's just not a people person or just extremely shy.

Name: Plarynia Snowsong
DoB: 60th of Spring 495AV
Title: Head of Musical Entertainment
Skills: Composition:15
Leadership:15
flute:10
harp:10
The female half on the Snowsong twins and the more dependable of the two. Constantly irritated by her brother and his lazy and lecherous ways. Plar is the one who keeps the music playing night after night. She holds auditions and keeps everyone on schedule. On occasion she plays in the bar herself. Not as anti-social as Neli she will sometimes strike up a conversation or pay a compliment. She's a tomboy at heart.

Name: Keliselle Iceglaze
DoB: 22nd of Fall 500AV
Title:Jr repairman/drink server
Skills: Architecture:15
Masonry:15
Fishing:10
cooking:10
Keli is the younger brother of Neli and often is dragged along with her. He also serves drinks to the patrons. Much like his sister he's shy and not likely to do much talking. He likes to fish.

Name: Nenithal Snowsong
DoB: 60th of Spring 495AV
Title: Music support/ bar lecher/ barhand
Skills:Composition:10
drums:15
Seduction:15
Singing:10
Plar's older twin brother. He hits on the female patrons under the guise of working. While he does enjoy female company, don't look for him to buy you a drink. When he does feel like working he helps with the musical setup and fixing instruments. He's a skilled drummer.

Name:Nohadara Skyglow
DoB: 44th of Winter 502AV
Title: Airhead Ice Sculptor/barhand
Skills: Carving:20
Dancing:10
Persuasion:20
Singing:10
Another non-worker Noha is also a flirt and often persuades guys to buy her drinks. If she's not being a bother to the male customers, she's dancing drunkenly out on the dancefloor. She's suppose to maintain the ice dispensers.

Price List :
Chillberry Snowstorm 5sm
Winter Snap Blitz 5sm
The Morwen 1gm
Ale, Mug 4 cm
Ale, Gallon 2 sm
Wine, Common (pitcher) 2 sm
Wine, Fine (bottle) 10 gm

OOCOoof! Glad to be working on this again!
Last edited by Minosayaa on March 1st, 2014, 3:49 am, edited 27 times in total.
If there is rain tomorrow
I wonder where you will take me.
Surely if I'm with you
That alone will make me happy.

Minosayaa
Lead Sled Dog

Words: 51933
Joined roleplay: October 4th, 2010, 5:54 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Suggestion Box

Postby Noblesse on August 13th, 2013, 7:54 pm

Before anything else, let me say how much I appreciate you volunteering to write the Bejeweled Tusk. Thank you for taking an interest in developing one of Avanthal's locations!

I've moved your post back here as it belongs to this thread. The OOC chat is for comments and discussions regarding Avanthal's development. This is where you submit the writeups to be reviewed by an ST.

As for my comments:
  • Both of your images are rather anachronistic, meaning they are too modern for Mizahar, especially so for Avanthal. If you can photoshop the offending items away (random signs, portion of buildings, etc.) then that would be great! If not, I'd recommend searching for a different image instead.
  • The Bejeweled Tusk is actually situated at the main city of Avanthal, not at the edge of Skyglow Hold.
  • It's alright to make this location a large hangout, but don't make it larger than all the other buildings in Avanthal. This location is not as important to the Vantha as the others like the Temple of Everwinter, Crystal Hall, & etc. These people's priorities should always reflect on how they build their structures, as it should be seen in the writeup as well.
  • Instead of candles, I recommend that you use stormgems for the club's lighting. Candles tend to make a mess as they die out, and it's quite a bother to have to regularly chip them away from the walls..
  • It's more reasonable to have this building made of out the mineral Icestone instead of just plain ice. Icestone requires less maintenance than ice, and it offers more durability than the latter as well. Besides, all other ice-like structures in the city are made of this mineral. See Icewall Gates.
  • You mentioned that the air in this place is fridged; you can remove this part. Considering that Avanthal never rises above sub-zero temperatures, this is pretty much obvious everywhere else in the city.
  • Ice luges as well as ice beverage dispensers would be a nice addition here since you've already mentioned the drinks.
  • It's nice for this place to have all those cool side features, but remember this is a night club and Vantha go to this place to dance. You shouldn't stray away from that point too much. It would make the Bejeweled Tusk seem less of a night club and more of a fancy ice museum.
  • Describe the general atmosphere of the dance floor. A night club's mostly about music and dancing, with the drinking and socializing elements at the side. Keep the place fun and interesting!
Noblesse
Let them eat flavored snow!

Words: 181013
Joined roleplay: February 25th, 2013, 5:29 pm
Race: Staff account
Office

Suggestion Box

Postby Minosayaa on August 13th, 2013, 8:17 pm

Yeah I wasn't sure where to post this and I'll keep the work up and try and get things fixed. I'm still brainstorming. I agree on the icestones and stormgems. (my dad mentioned candles). The air was mentioned to say other races may be too chilly here......this might sound dumb....what are Ice luges and how do I incorporate these this right? like ice beverage dispensers?
Surely if I'm with you

Minosayaa
Lead Sled Dog

Character sheet

Suggestion Box

Postby Noblesse on August 14th, 2013, 11:04 am

Ice luges are basically ice sculptures into which a drink can be poured into a channel in the ice. The drink then moves through the channel to be caught in a glass or directly into a person’s mouth. On the other hand, an ice beverage dispenser is an ice sculpture that has a reservoir at the top to hold a premixed drink. It keeps the drink perfectly chilled until it is poured out a spigot at the bottom into a glass.

Both are fun to have at a party in a club made of ice. These can be great decorations as well as props for drinking games.

An ice luge :

An ice beverage dispenser :

You should go and search for the terms on google if you want to know more about them.
Noblesse

Office

Suggestion Box

Postby Minosayaa on August 14th, 2013, 12:48 pm

Sweet! Those do look cool!
Also do the pictures look better?
the location has been changed
along with size
candles replaced with stormgems
Icestone added
unnecessary coldness removed

(sorry just making myself a little check list) :p
Surely if I'm with you

Minosayaa
Lead Sled Dog

Character sheet

Suggestion Box

Postby Noblesse on August 25th, 2013, 7:36 am

Hi Mino!

To answer your question in your PM, hair dyes are really rare in Avanthal, and the Vantha would never color them any other. They already have natural highlights and beautiful colored sheens in their hair. Why else would they cover these lovely features? Your two ladies looks good though. :)

And I've thought about it some more. I'd like for this place to only be three stories max. You will have to change your image though, it looks like a huge ice mansion!

Grammar-wise, there are still some grammar errors in there but they're all pretty easy to correct in the final edit of the write up. Please refrain from using the center alignment though.

I like the image you used for room 1. There are some stray elements there but I think I can photoshop them away. Room no. 2 would have been okay, but there are too many people in the image. It would be nice if only the location is shown, no people. The other two though, either the materials used are not found in Avanthal or they're too anachronistic for Mizahar. If it's not possible to find other pictures for the other three rooms anymore, you can use just the first one as a sample and just describe the other three. But so far though, you're doing a good job! Keep it up Mino. :D
Noblesse

Office

Suggestion Box

Postby Minosayaa on August 26th, 2013, 12:17 am

I've never done anything like this, but I'm enjoying it a lot. I'm glad you like everything! here try these new rooms if they don't work... I have more! Could there be an 'ice maiden' night for unmarried girls?
Surely if I'm with you

Minosayaa
Lead Sled Dog

Character sheet

Suggestion Box

Postby Spirit Frostfawn on September 1st, 2013, 7:17 pm

Just an idea I had... turning it into a location... tell me if it's not too realistic please! Also, the NPCs are still under construction!

The Wastes Cottage

The Wastes Cottage, like the name states, is a small cottage of ice stone built in the wastes. It's nowhere near as large as an Arvinta, but instead is the perfect size to fit it's two permanent residents. It blends in well with its surroundings, the outside walls moving smoothly into the ground, and always covered with fresh snow. The only feature that separates it from an odd hill is the entrance, which is flat and tall, with a pair of sturdy wooden doors leading inside the construction.

Inside, there are three main rooms, one larger than the other two. The largest takes up the main portion of the cottage, and sits right next to the entrance. It serves as a generic lounge, work space, and kitchen. It's full of sturdy ice stone chairs and tables, all cluttered with various items. Small game and herbs are hung from the ceiling to dry, and the amount gives the room a slightly cramped feeling, despite it's size. The other two rooms are simple bedrooms, with a much larger bed in one than the other. All the spaces are brightly lit with storm gems rather than candles, to prevent any damage to the walls and furniture.

The two residents, a Jamoura and a Kelvic from the Spires, prefer to live far from the city, despite the dangers. However, though this is a private home, the pair always welcome visitors, who come for knowledge, or just a general chat. They have amassed a few constant friends among the Vanthas, who on occasion take the journey out of the walls for a cup of tea or chocolate and company. The pair built the cottage in around 509 AV, to have an isolated place to live other than Avanthal. Both hail from the Spires, one an avid herbalist, the other a hunter and phylonurist. They moved up North from their home, mostly because the latter's biome was that of the arctic, forcing her to live in the Wastes.

Shara :
ImageName: Shara
Race: Jamoura
Date of Birth: 10 AV, Winter 14th
Place of Birth: The Spires
Title/Occupation: Herbalist, Bondmate of Mia
Skills: Herbalism - 52, Philtering - 33, Foraging - 18, Wilderness Survival - 48, Medicing - 43
Gnosis: N/A
Personality/History: Shara is a kind soul, always welcome to showing her creations to anyone who asks, and giving them to those in need. She is always up for a chat, her large but motherly demeanor comforting almost anyone. She is an avid herbalist, always enjoying creating new concoctions, and always appreciates new plants to work with. Sometimes they are brought by her bond mate, but she will always accept an offering from a Vantha, and, if it's something particularly rare, she may give something in return. She has been known to occasionally take various medicines to the Whitevine Healing Center, if she gets word of someone with a bad condition, and knows how to solve it. She is always up for teaching a novice to herbalism some basics.

Mia :
ImageName: Mia
Race: Kelvic, Frosthawk
Date of Birth: 507 AV, Spring 58th
Place of Birth: The Spires
Title/Occupation: Phylonurist, Hunter, Bondmate of Shara
Skills: Hunting - 41, Observation - 24, Flying - 36, Wilderness Survival - 60
Gnosis: 1 Polynura
Personality/History: Mia is more blunt, and slightly less friendly than her bondmate, but their connection has softened her slightly. She spends a lot of her time out and about, flying, hunting, or searching for rare herbs for Shara. Still, if she spends an equal amount of time at home, enjoying the Jamoura's company, and occasionally speaking to a visitor. If some one asks, very, very politely, she may give them lessons in hunting.

Moderator's NotePlease PM an ST if you wish to have some lessons with either Shara or Mia. They will arrange it from there

Spirit Frostfawn
Whistle with the Birds

Words: 302388
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2013, 11:53 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Suggestion Box

Postby Zisien on September 3rd, 2013, 1:56 am

So I saw that there is only one constellation and I figured there should be more considering Avanthal is so far north and shouldn't have too much light pollution and clear viewing (if its not too cloudy/snowing). My thought process behind this was each hold has a host constellation of sorts. Some of these constellations are in the southern hemisphere to Earth but this is Mizahar so anything (well almost) is possible. Sorry if the lore is cheesy or not well thought out, never quite did something like this before. Also couldn't think of proper lores for the last 4 constellations. :'(

The Great Hunter :
This is the hunter host constellation of the Frostfawn Hold. It can be seen during the Spring.
Lore: The great hunter was sent out to defend the city, the horrid beast was slain but in the midst of the great battle he was mortally wounded. Upon his death, he was granted to live among the stars and to continue to watch over Avanthal.

Lyra :
This is the Lyre host constellation of the Snowsong Hold. It can be seen during the Autumn.
Lore: The lyre once belonged to a beautiful maiden, whose voice was as sweet as honey. One day while singing, a frosthawk over heard her and was enraptured by her voice. He had ask her to sing another song, but the maiden couldn't understand the hawk and found his voice to be ugly, so denied his request. In a fit fit of rage and jealousy, he took the lyre and flew up into the heavens and there he remains clutching the lyre for himself.

Dancing Fish :

This is the Dancing Fish, host constellation of the Coolwater hold. It can be seen during the Summer.
Lore: There once was a fisherman, who was out in the frozen waters trying to fish up a meal for his family. He finally caught a fish and threw it into his bucket and covered it up. The fish told the man to lift the lid so it could show him a dance but the fisherman refused. Soon after he caught another and quickly threw it in the bucket as well and covered it. Like the first fish he asked the man to lift the lid so he could see it dance. At first the fisherman ignored them but greed began to gnaw at him. He thought to himself that he could probably sell them, for who has actually seen dancing fish. So he took off the lid to see if they could actually dance, and they did. Out of the bucket and jumped right up into the stars.

The Painter :
Image This is the painting easel, host constellation of the Skyglow hold. It can be seen during the Winter

Caelum :
Image This is Caelum or The Sculptor's Chisel, host constellation of Iceglaze hold. It can be seen during the Autumn.

The Furance :
Image This is the Furance, host constellation of Winterflame hold. It can be seen during the Spring.

Crux :
Image This is the Cross, host constellation of Whitevine hold. It can be seen during the Summer.
Vani | Common | Bear
Zisien
Apprentice Icewatch Guard

Words: 38523
Joined roleplay: August 28th, 2013, 5:52 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Suggestion Box

Postby Una Tanta on January 1st, 2014, 5:15 am

Looking back into Avanthal's past calenders a huge focus has been on destructive childhood antics, murder, and animal sickness. I was thinking we could address this next season when Morwen returns. Because she is so present in the Vanthas' lives it would be great to see her actually be active. What I thought would be great is to have seasonal, or bi-seasonal speeches from her. These would be open for a week. Anyone wanting to participate would only post once and would get to know whatever information was given (lores, etc.) They can choose to share this (truthfully or not) with other PC's that inquire but they are the only ones who get to witness it. This links into the past calenders in this way. Morwen returns, hurt that the damage this winter was caused from her own Vantha not the criminals released from the prison, she punishes or does something to help the safety of the city and gives a speech to this end. The second speech, if we chose to have one would be in response to a calender event. This would be a great way to integrate a very present goddess into Avanthal as it would only require the DS to write one or two posts that are the speech and the rest would be left for the PC's to respond to.

With the destruction of Denval, Avanthal is extremely isolated so it's hard for new players to travel here. Like any small town gossip affects people's jobs, businesses, etc. Therefore, I think it would be valuable to have a stickie dedicated to gossip that appears throughout the season. This gossip can be about a PC (obviously after asking them) or about an NPC. These could also be gossip posted by PC's that were started in thread that may affect the rest of the community. This would provide more links between characters beyond those simply PRESENT in the thread and more links with the NPC's.

Examples could include;

The puppy Spirit sold to the man ends up biting a little kid and her reputation is compromised as the rumour spreads. (Of course in the thread the actual rumour would be written out, what would need to be kept in mind of course is that rumours change as they develop so PC's should be allowed to take liberties with the gossip and assume it can take on a slightly different form when told to them.)

Some ideas on the calender next season:

I think it would be valuable to get away from the destruction caused by kids, murder, and if there is tension between holds for it to be more easily penetrated and affected by PC's. We only have 3 of the holds represented here by one or two PC's so I don't think it's the most valuable thing to be plotting. Especially because the most active PC's are either not Vantha or are Frostfawns.

Furthermore, I think taking into account WR situation would be valuable for the new Calender. Because they are experiencing riots and massive food shortages maybe we can expect higher prices for Avora goods (glass, etc.) and send more dried meats back in exchange putting everyone in Avanthal on rations, maybe when the Wind Eagles come they mention it and people in Avanthal ignore it and none of their goods are available this upcoming season, etc.

That's the basic gist of some of my thoughts.

As I promised Lullz I will be posting the development stuff shortly. :D

ADDED - Because Avanthal is such a hub of storytelling I think all stories should be placed somewhere when used in thread and then approved (in case there are any obvious mistakes) and added to the wiki as Avanthalian stories (or stories from wherever they are).
Una Tanta
Be The "One Day"

Words: 371301
Joined roleplay: May 15th, 2013, 2:11 am
Race: Charoda
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

PreviousNext