Suggestion Box

Please post your locations, NPCs, creatures, plants, and anything else here for critique and submission. This thread is for finished projects.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Inside the Icehouse is Avanthal’s development subforum. This forum is designed to support all Avanthal players in an OOC manner and allow players across Mizahar to contribute to the development of the city and the Vantha race. Found within are the Suggestion Box and other threads meant to contribute towards the development of the city as well as threads to aid players in their story and plot planning process.

Suggestion Box

Postby Valkyrie on February 11th, 2013, 4:29 pm

Avanthal Suggestion Box

This thread is for submission of completed projects such as locations, NPCs, creatures, and plants. Once submitted I will give any critiques and comments necessary to get your project ready for posting in the main forum. I would advise you to run your idea past me before you write it up and post it here so we can work out any major issues or kinks prior to you going through the effort of a full writeup. Other players are welcome to post their critiques and comments of player submitted work as long as they maintain respect and are constructive with their opinions.

Below are listed some templates you can use when compiling information for development. Please try to format locations and NPCs to the style that is already being used in Avanthal. All entries should have an image and this image MUST be hosted in Mizahar's galleries. Contact an ST with questions.

Location Template
Name
Description
Products/Services (If applicable)
NPC Info (if applicable)
Employment and Training Info (if applicable)

NPC Template
Name
Race
Date of Birth
Place of Birth
Title/Occupation
Skills (5 Main)
Gnosis (if applicable)
Personality/History

Animal Template
Name
Common Locations
Frequency
Characteristics
Social Structure
Miscellaneous

Plant Template
Name
Common Locations
Frequency
Description
Uses
Miscellaneous

Constellations Template
Region:
Name:
Uses:
How well known:
How easy to recognize:
Most easily recognized from:
Visible During:
Description:
Creation Story:
Other important information:

VanthaAvanthalHoldsIcewatch

I will not be accepting new moderation requests at this time, I apologize for the inconvenience.
Valkyrie
Let me in! It's cold out here!

Words: 353067
Joined roleplay: June 20th, 2012, 9:44 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Donor (1)

Suggestion Box

Postby Valkyrie on February 11th, 2013, 4:30 pm

Here is the link to the previous Avanthal Community Development thread.

I will not be accepting new moderation requests at this time, I apologize for the inconvenience.
Valkyrie

Office
Scrapbook

Suggestion Box

Postby Miria on March 12th, 2013, 10:14 am

Hunter Savant Lodge

Description:

The Hunter Savant Lodge otherwise known as the Hunter's Lodge was founded by the first settlers in the city as a ways to set up and prepare hunting expeditions into the wastes. Over the years it has become a training grounds and hangout for aspiring hunter rookies, veterans and everyone in between. Everything that can be useful out in the wastes can be learned here for a small fee.

The lodge holds a competitive atmosphere so be prepared to prove your worth as a hunter. Inside it's plain wooden exterior houses various trophies from the most exotic and outright dangerous creatures Taldera has to offer. New members are taught wildernerss survival, land navigation and trapping. Known to advocate good times it is not rare for a hunting party to invite chefs, entertainers or even just friends to go along with them as they set out into the wastes.

Feel free to look at the hunter's board as it provides the going prices on animal hides, a small map outside of town and travel advisories should any trouble come along.

Services :
Private Lessons - 2 gm
Wilderness Guide - 5 gm for the first day, 8gm for every day after
Taxidermy - 5 gm - 20gm depending on the size
(NPC) Tannor Coolwater :
Name: Tannor 'Oranges' Coolwater
Race: Vantha
DoB: Winter 64, 464 AV
PoB: Avanthal
Title: Wasteland hunter
Skills: Spear 42 Hunting 57 Tracking 55 Wilderness Survival 46 Teaching 34
Gnosis: 1 Mark of Morwen

Description: A Coolwater that is ill suited for the sea. Jayce first few experiences with a boat were disastrous leading to a strong distaste and otherwise avoidance of the sea. In all three separate occasions something went amiss during young Jayce's trips resulting in him switching up his trade to that of a hunter and tracker outside of the city, far from his arvinta in Coolwater Hold.

When asked about his experiences with the Coolwater boats he merely explains that he's prone to sea sickness and always felt like he had scurvy while aboard. To go along with his cover up story he regularly eats oranges when they are available leading to his nickname. Nowadays he would rather face the wastelands of Taldera rather then spend time near the docks in his almost abandoned home.

Standing at a very diminutive 5 feet 7 inches off the ground most people would be surprised how hardy the older man is. Skilled in his trade he accepts most fledges despite his sour mood. A very gruff man at first the people in the lodge know him to be an outstanding example of a Vantha.
(NPC) Sarkon Iceglaze :
Name: Sarkon Iceglaze
DoB: Summer 18, 484 AV
Title: Wilderness guide
Skills: Wilderness Survival 63, Politics 34, Tanning 58, Land navigation 54

Description: A self proclaimed prophet of nature Sarkon is the wildman of the lodge. Known to make long treks into the wastes alone he manages to bring back an inspiring epic for those willing to hear him. He sees Avanthal as a second home with his first being in the wilderness out in the wastes. He has a very particular biologic clock as the only time he will ever be seen in Avanthal is the 30th through the 60th of each and every season.

A very well kept secret about Sarkon is that he's actually the ambassador of Avanthal for the outlying cities and areas surrounding it. Whenever trouble arises inan area he's usually the one reporting and displaying the news on the hunter's board when he's in town. Sarkon does his best to display Avanthal as a inviting city usually offering gifts to neighboring tribes and helping along traders and travelers back to Avanthal just to go back out into the Northern Reaches once more.

The tanner for the lodge he's usually seen out front the days he's in Avanthal dealing with all the tanning and fashioning of the mass of hides that the place stockpiles.
Employment and Training Info :
Employment:
Hunter - 5 gm/day
Wilderness guide - 5 gm/day
Training:
Hunting
Tracking
Land Navigation
Wilderness Survival

This is what I got for now. I'll be happy with any input you got for me Valk.

Shall I also find something akin to the Hunter's Board or would you like to make that yourself?
Don't ever be a sheep. If you HAVE to be a sheep at least be a rainbow sheep.
Miria
Knowing me. Knowing how to love again.

Words: 236304
Joined roleplay: December 10th, 2012, 6:07 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Suggestion Box

Postby Valkyrie on March 12th, 2013, 4:45 pm

This is looking great Miria! I have a couple of critiques to flesh things out a bit more but I think your essential concept is great.

It would be nice if you could situate the lodge within the city. Like, is it near the Frostfawn Hold? Or perhaps near the gates of the city, or maybe even just outside the gates of the city? Just some indication of its general location within the city.

Since the hunting lodge also seems to be a bit of a social spot are there any drinks or food available for hunters inside? Maybe freshly caught meat and cider?

For the hunter's board, you could make a Spoiler tag for it and fill it with a few things if you wish and we STs will do our best to change them out once in a while and offer new opportunities. :)

Sarkon is a bit of jack of all trades, so it might be a good idea to just focus on him being a Wilderness Guide. That's enough of a job for one person, being a tanner and Ambassador as well is a bit much. You could fill out that space by maybe talking about how he learned his wilderness skills or what his family life is like. Or whatever you wish people to know about him.

Valkyrie

Office
Scrapbook

Suggestion Box

Postby Noblesse on March 12th, 2013, 5:25 pm

Hello Miria! Dropping by with some questions for your writeup!

The concept of a hunting lodge is nice, and I think it's about time Avanthal had one. I'm just wondering though, is there some sort of membership system in the lodge? You had mentioned about new members being taught some nifty skills above. You also said that they usually invite chefs and entertainers when venturing into the wastes. Would that mean that the lodge is situated outside the city gates? If it was, then how far from the city gates is it? Personally though, I think it'd be pretty dangerous to bring along inexperienced people in a hunt.

I'm also curious as to who owns the lodge. Is it Frostfawn's property? If so, then who manages the lodge and accommodates the hunting parties? I think having even some simple food and drinks here would be wonderful, but that would definitely require servers and cooks. Also, how do the services work here? Is there a clerk where you can avail of mentors for the lessons?

And I've just noticed that Sarkon is an Iceglaze. Perhaps you could share how he got interested into the wastes? Since he is an Iceglaze, being a wilderness guide didn't seem to be an obvious career choice. Maybe you can give him a backstory about this?

Whew, these are a lot of questions! I hope I didn't scare you off from all of these. It would be really fantastic if you could flesh these details out though. :D
Noblesse
Let them eat flavored snow!

Words: 181013
Joined roleplay: February 25th, 2013, 5:29 pm
Office

Suggestion Box

Postby Miria on March 13th, 2013, 5:23 am

Hunter Savant Lodge

Description:

The Hunter Savant Lodge otherwise known as the Hunter's Lodge was founded by the first settlers in the city as a ways to set up and prepare hunting expeditions into the wastes. Over the years it has become a training grounds and hangout for aspiring hunter rookies, veterans and everyone in between. Everything that can be useful out in the wastes can be learned here for a small fee.

Finding the actual facility is considered the initiation for people wanting to join. To the immediate left going out of the Icewatch gates the only indication of there being such a structure is the occasional tracks left behind from it's members entering back into the city, that or you happened to see the smoke emanating beyong the wall while touring the Frostfawn wood. Either way the path to the lodge is littered with small indications that lead to the lodge. A common way that newbie hunters start on their journey is by one of the guards pointing at a prop they already set up. "Is that a broken twig I see? Wonder how that got there."

The lodge holds a competitive atmosphere so be prepared to prove your worth as a hunter. Inside it's plain wooden exterior houses various trophies from the most exotic and outright dangerous creatures Taldera has to offer. New members are taught wildernerss survival, land navigation and trapping.

Though not common knowledge of the general public the lodge also offers guided excursions into the waste for celebrations or events venturing just far out into the city where a Vantha can enjoy the lights Avanthal makes in the distance. Every hold member will find their skills useful while they spend an evening or two hunting the more docile creatures of Taldera, such as hares or even foxes. Entertainment, campfire songs and cooking even massive snow forts that could not be normally built in the city are some fun past times to do while trekking the wastes.

Feel free to look at the hunter's board as it provides the going prices on animal hides, a small map outside of town and travel advisories should any trouble come along. Taking along other members for missions decreases the rewards you may get but at least you won't have to pay them to come along. Also be sure to share of places of interest you come across while exploring the outskirts of Taldera.

Hunter's Board :
Map of Taldera
1st line - One or two's day worth of travel
2nd line - One week's worth of travel

Everyday sales:
Hare - 2 gm per pelt (extra 5 sm if overpopulated)
Deer - 5 gm per pelt
Wolf - 12 gm per pelt (extra 4 gm if overpopulated)
(Special) - 20 gm for the first area you find not marked on the map.

-Danger! Be careful of Zith whilst going out! The times between winter and spring is when their hunting grounds extend past the Spires.

-Danger! Caves of Silver Wraiths have been springing up recently in the Wintertime. With Morwen's return these vermin went back to hibernating. Looking for volunteers to clear out the caves under Sarkon's guidance.

-Reward! Strange lights have been seen on recent trips in the deep woods. Find out what is causing these lights. See Tannor for details.

-Lost! I left my late mother's bracelet in my camp. I was ambushed by neighboring wolves parties and had to leave it behind. They should be gone now but I'm too afraid to visit the area anytime soon.

-Bounty! The elusive elks has been scaring nearby woolies ranches. Track down their leader and bring an end to their antics. Minor rewards for taking down elks in the area.
Services :
Private Lessons - 2 gm
Wilderness Guide - 5 gm for the first day, 8gm for every day after
Taxidermy - 5 gm - 20gm depending on the size
(NPC) Tannor Coolwater :
Name: Tannor 'Oranges' Coolwater
DoB: Winter 64, 464 AV
Title: Wasteland hunter
Skills: Spear 42 Hunting 57 Tracking 55 Wilderness Survival 36 Teaching 34

Description: A Coolwater that is ill suited for the sea. Jayce first few experiences with a boat were disastrous leading to a strong distaste and otherwise avoidance of the sea. In all three separate occasions something went amiss during young Jayce's trips resulting in him switching up his trade to that of a hunter and tracker outside of the city, far from his arvinta in Coolwater Hold.

When asked about his experiences with the Coolwater boats he merely explains that he's prone to sea sickness and always felt like he had scurvy while aboard. To go along with his cover up story he regularly eats oranges when they are available leading to his nickname. Nowadays he would rather face the wastelands of Taldera rather then spend time near the docks in his almost abandoned home.

Standing at a very diminutive 5 feet 7 inches off the ground most people would be surprised how hardy the older man is. Skilled in his trade he accepts most fledges despite his sour mood. A very gruff man at first the people in the lodge know him to be an outstanding example of a Vantha.

Occasionally seen at the Red Diamond Tavern when he's not filing all the necessary paperwork for the lodge. Ownership of the lodge was left to him and the man does what is necessary to keep it afloat.
(NPC) Sarkon Iceglaze :
Name: Sarkon Iceglaze
DoB: Summer 18, 484 AV
Title: Wilderness guide
Skills: Wilderness Survival 68, Storytelling 44, Land navigation 54

Description: A self proclaimed prophet of nature Sarkon is the wildman of the lodge. Even in his adolesence he claimed that the earth spoke to him in ways that others are not attuned to. Making company with the people of Frostfawn hold he eventually attained his dream of going out into the wastes. Known to make long treks into the wastes alone he manages to bring back an inspiring epic for those willing to hear him. Each time he comes back with a story about the new stretch of land he discovered outside of Avanthal and how the earth spoke to him at each location.

Sarkon sees Avanthal as a second home with his first being in the wilderness out in the wastes. He has a very particular biologic clock as the only time he will ever be seen in Avanthal is the 30th through the 60th of each and every season. Whenever trouble arises in an area he's usually the one reporting and displaying the news on the hunter's board when he's in town. Sarkon does his best to display Avanthal as a inviting city usually offering gifts to neighboring tribes and helping along traders and travelers back to Avanthal just to go back out into the Northern Reaches once more.The days he's at the lodge he does what he can to give Tannor a break with his duties.
Employment and Training Info :
Employment:
Hunter - 5 gm/day
Wilderness guide - 5 gm/day
Training:
Hunting
Tracking
Land Navigation
Wilderness Survival
Last edited by Miria on March 19th, 2013, 8:55 am, edited 8 times in total.
Miria

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Suggestion Box

Postby Valkyrie on March 13th, 2013, 2:27 pm

I think its looking really great Miria! Whether or not you make a map of the outside of Avanthal is up to you. A map is a pretty big project. If you did decide to make one I would probably copy the image to the Player's Guide so that it is more accessible to players. I know you said that you want to rework things when you have time so let me know when you feel satisfied with what you have and I will give approval or any final comments, though as it is now I'm pretty pleased with what you have come up with. :)

Valkyrie

Office
Scrapbook

Suggestion Box

Postby Miria on March 15th, 2013, 2:24 am

Alrighty I got the map up and am satisfied. Though I have to admit I'm brimming with ideas! (One of those can't shut off the flow for awhile sorta things)

Perhaps we can have nearby cave connected to Avanthal. The djed storm opened up the earth and made new paths one leading outside of Avanthal. Keep it a Vantha secret. (Put into your storyteller secrets that you know the alternate exit instead of as a lore.) We can have them listed as city secrets. A multitude of them for Avanthal instead of just this one. Perhaps station more guards near Iceglaze to give the hold a bit more life then being seen as simple builders and shapers.

Perhaps since to provide a bigger want/need for exploration we can come up with some secret locations in the linkmap. Of course not telling where it might be but receiving an award for sharing the area with the lodge (and keeping it a secret.) A known money maker for the lodge as it makes people want to buy wilderness guides to look for the reward.

I'm thinking three in all with a bounty or reward of your choosing.

I also made sure to keep the map a bit bare so people can add things to it easier.

P.S. Was wondering if I can do a thread with Oranges when this is all ready.
P.S.S. Thanks for reading! I'm a bit hyper at the moment so ideas are just bombarding me.
Miria

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Suggestion Box

Postby Valkyrie on March 18th, 2013, 2:45 pm

I'm sorry for taking so long to get back to you Miria, I've been thinking about the map for a while and wanted to collect my thoughts. There isn't really a distinct hunting grounds around Avanthal because animals are relatively scarce, particularly land mammals. If anywhere in particular were going to be designated as a hunting grounds it would be located out on the sea ice because walruses and seals are the a major food source for Avanthal. No likes thinking about killing cute little seals but the Vantha need to eat and fatty seal meat is super nutritious for them.

Your cave idea is really neat but if you check the Calendar of Events we are actually already opening up a cave for exploration, I won't say more then that so I don't ruin the things Noblesse and I have planned. ;)

So, to sum it up, the hunting grounds portion of the map needs to either be taken off or it needs to be located on the sea ice to represent the more plentiful sea mammals living there. If you have a new idea for an interesting location to be on your map that's totally cool, but it really needs to be written up as its own location before it's added to the map.

If you want to take some time to tinker with the map that's cool. Other then the map issues, I approve this location.

Valkyrie

Office
Scrapbook

Suggestion Box

Postby Miria on March 18th, 2013, 3:20 pm

Right-o I've made the necessary change though I had to find a new picture since I accidentally overwrote the old one with the new map.
Miria

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next