Flashback How Not to Fish (Ricky)

There are common misconceptions, and then there aren't

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

How Not to Fish (Ricky)

Postby Thundiirn on February 20th, 2013, 11:40 pm

78th Fall, 508 AV

The city was in sight, a fresh start from all the rotten and destroyed dreams of Sunberth. Thundiirn had left his home in the middle of the night, intent on getting away and beginning a new life somewhere, anywhere, far away. But of course, money was always an object, and Zeltiva had been as far as he could afford to go, and still live there comfortably once he got there. He still had quite a bit left from the journey, but the next city was quite a ways away, so for now he'd be crashing here.

It was incredibly different from Sunberth. He could tell that instantly as the boat pulled into the docks. And the docks, the docks! Everything was enormous, he had never seen such boats or such grandeur.

The boat was docked, and Thundiirn stepped into a whole new world. Who would have known a place so incredibly different could exist in the same continent as his home?
Not me...That's for sure. He suddenly felt very small, very directionless, and very, very alone.

As he stepped off, he realized he really had no idea where he was going to go or what he was going to do. A man stepped on his foot, cawing out "Ey! Watch yerself!" as he was unloading another boat next to the one Thundiirn had just stepped off of. It seemed he was in the way, and no one had time to help a homeless and lost Sunberthian boy, so he moved away from the main docks and towards a Pier a short way away, hoping to find someone with the time to point him in the right direction.
Last edited by Thundiirn on March 1st, 2013, 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am nowhere. I am everywhere. I am the watcher unseen

"Speech" | Thoughts | "Other Peoples' Speech"
Thundiirn
Seeking New Realities

Words: 62034
Joined roleplay: November 21st, 2012, 4:43 am
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

How Not to Fish (Ricky)

Postby Ricky Maze on February 26th, 2013, 6:19 am

It was a day that had been like any other, although the boundless energy of a dog was more then enough to distract a fisherman from his job. Odis was restless as he couldn't help but release his excitement in bursts, he would run around his master frequently and lean on him when it came to moving to a different pole. There where two fishing rods set up and Ricky hoped to fill his basket full today, such was an important thing when it came to earning coin. Yet the energetic dog just couldn't help but be a distraction for Ricky.

Since the fish weren't exactly biting just yet he figured why not play around with Odis for a bit. The mutt certainly proved earnest in playing today, so it certainly wouldn't do any harm to exert some of his energy.

"Rarf Rarf!" Odis jumped around as Ricky moved in front of him with a smile, both darted left and right in front of one another for several chimes, and then Odis ran in circles around Ricky, which ended with a dizzy fisherman who needed to sit. The playful dog sat next to his master with heavy pants as he looked to Ricky with happy eyes, both had felt happy and content in that moment. Ricky checked over his shoulder to see the rods, still not a sign of a hooked fish. Odis proceeded to lick his master in the face, which resulted in Ricky laughing and trying to avoid further slobbery kisses.
Last edited by Ricky Maze on March 1st, 2013, 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Journal - Plotnotes - Announcement!
Scrapbook - Shop (Closed)- Vlogs
Credit goes to Fallon for allowing me to temper with her codings! :)
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Words: 2035002
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2011, 9:02 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

How Not to Fish (Ricky)

Postby Thundiirn on February 28th, 2013, 8:50 am

Ah, now here was a man who didn't seem too busy to help a lost soul in a new city. The man was playing with his dog, a handsome young mutt. The young thing was running around in circles around his owner, always staying just far enough away that it would have time to scamper away anytime the man lunged at him. Quite an entertaining sight to see. He wasn't exactly positive now that he watched closely whether the dog was loose or just playing, but regardless Thundiirn decided to go visit them.

As he came closer, though, he began to question his actions once more. What if the dog was loose, and dangerous? It certainly hadn't looked as such, but one could never be too sure with unfamiliar animals. But he DID need assistance... should he risk it?

"Hey man! Do you have a second?" Yes, he might as well. The dog looked friendly enough and he really needed some assistance.

The dog turned. The dog looked, ears cocked and head tilted. The dog sprinted. Thundiirn's eyes grew wide, but that's all he had time to do before the mutt was on his chest, and he was on the ground. Utter fear passed through him as the dog opened its mouth, showing sharp white teeth. And... a wet, sloppy, pink tongue?

He was pinned to the ground by huge furry paws, being french kissed by a dog. It definitely wasn't how he planned his day going, but it was certainly better than the alternative of having pearly whites sinking into his jugular. He couldn't help it. Laughing in relief, he got a mouthful of rough wet tongue scraping the roof of his mouth.

"Well aren't you an adorable little furball?" Thundiirn crooned, freeing his hands to pet the pup's head and try to wrestle his way free.
OOCImage

Thundiirn
Seeking New Realities

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

How Not to Fish (Ricky)

Postby Ricky Maze on February 28th, 2013, 10:24 pm

"Hey man! Do you have a second?" Odis was immediately drawn to the source of the voice, a stranger who had snuck up on them was now in the mutts sights; and Odis had a new friend to play with already. Right after taking the initiative to pounce on this newcomer Ricky followed to help the man out. After all Odis could be rather over excited most of the time, and the result of that tended to smother people with too much doggie love.

"Well aren't you an adorable little furball?" The stranger crooned as he struggled to get free, Ricky believed the greeting a good sign at least; Odis somehow knew how to pick Ricky's friends.

"Aye pup ye smother em too much; off with ya!" He commanded with ease as he urged Odis off the man, the dog listened with full excitement in his expression. "Rark rark!" He spun around playfully and looked to the two men with glee. Ricky held out a hand to help pull the newcomer up.

"Sorry bout that, he see's someone he likes and he's off, he means well though. Oh I'm Ricky by the way." He introduced with a humble smile.
Last edited by Ricky Maze on March 1st, 2013, 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

How Not to Fish (Ricky)

Postby Thundiirn on March 1st, 2013, 12:11 am

Thundiirn was quick to accept the offered hand, escaping the clutches of the overexcited pup.

"Sorry bout that, he see's someone he likes and he's off, he means well though. Oh I'm Ricky by the way."
"It's no worry, bro. Always good to be liked, even by a dog. I'm Thundiirn," he replied, now happily back on his feet.

He glared goodnaturedly at the dog, a glare which was returned by another ear-cocking head tilt, along with a little whine. Thundiirn jerked his chin in the dog's direction.
"So, what's my other new friend's name? He's quite a good kisser, by the way. You must feel lucky to have him."

With that, he knelt down on the ground again, prompting the dog to break free from his owner and charge Thundiirn again. Thundiirn grabbed the dog by his ears, holding him at just enough distance that his tongue wouldn't manage to connect. That didn't stop the tongue from trying, though, and Thundiirn happily made weird faces at the dog as it desperately tried to lick his face off.

Thundiirn
Seeking New Realities

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

How Not to Fish (Ricky)

Postby Ricky Maze on March 1st, 2013, 3:04 am

OOCBy the way your evil! :P Just kiddin. Love how the threads turning out.

'Thundiirn. Now there's a name that sounds different.' Ricky thought to himself with a friendly smile. "So, what's my other new friend's name? He's quite a good kisser, by the way. You must feel lucky to have him."

Ricky felt a laugh bubble up inside, Thundiirn had a sense of humor Ricky didn't expect to hear. Already the newcomer was approved in his book with the way he treated Odis. The way things were going made this introduction quite interesting really.

Aye that be my good brotherly dog Odis, been stuck with him since the day I saved him from a few brats. He likes ya pretty darn well though, ye must be a pretty friendly lad." He pointed out with a grin, and chuckled as he watched the faces Thundiirn made. It was then something caught Ricky's attention, he looked over to the rods to find the line on one jerked continuously. "Son of a petchin whore!" He exclaimed as he darted for the rod, Odis then jerked away from Thundiirn to look at his master's sudden surprise, and chased him in excitement. "Of all the petchin times I get a bite it has to be when I ain't lookin!"
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

How Not to Fish (Ricky)

Postby Thundiirn on March 1st, 2013, 8:15 am

"Aye that be my good brotherly dog Odis, been stuck with him since the day I saved him from a few brats. He likes ya pretty darn well though, ye must be a pretty friendly lad."

It seemed he had won over this man's friendship simply by handling being attacked by his dog's tongue well. A rather odd way to become friends, but hey if it worked he wasn't complaining. The dog was now running around this fella, Ricky's, legs when suddenly the man exploded.

"Son of a petchin whore! Of all the petchin times I get a bite it has to be when I ain't lookin!"

Odis and Thundiirn seemed equally surprised by this outburst, and both followed Ricky as if without thinking over to the two fishing poles. One of them was shaking, and this fact was apparently what had caused the little explosion.

It stopped shaking as soon as Ricky reached it, which likely only enraged him more. The fish was free, and Thundiirn secretly was cheering it on.
That's right, little guy. Take the bait. And then run like a mother petcher with it! He wouldn't let Ricky know that, though.

"So, yer a fisher, huh? I've never fished before. Would you-would you mind if I tried?" Thundiirn asked, nodding his head towards the second, non-wiggly pole.

Thundiirn
Seeking New Realities

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

How Not to Fish (Ricky)

Postby Ricky Maze on March 2nd, 2013, 1:50 am

It was too late. The flippery scoundrel managed to take and what it was after, then left shortly after it claimed its prize. 'Shyke. There goes a good one.' He frowned as he reeled in the rod, to resupply the hook with bait.

"So, yer a fisher, huh? I've never fished before. Would you-would you mind if I tried?" Thundiirn asked with his sights on the second pole. Ricky now baited the rod and turned to Thundiirn, he also found an excited Odis waiting to play some more.

"that was probably our dinner; just so ya know." He teased the dog with a grin, Odis cocked his head to tge side with a serious express.

"Haunh?!" Was Odis' reaction. Ricky laughed and turned his attention back to Thundiirn.

"First time tryer eh? Best handle this baby then." He nodded and held the rod he baited out for Thundiirn to take, a humble smile on his face.
Last edited by Ricky Maze on March 2nd, 2013, 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

How Not to Fish (Ricky)

Postby Thundiirn on March 2nd, 2013, 8:36 am

"Haunh?!"

Thundiirn covered up a smile at Odis' reaction, but internally he was cracking up. The dog was like an animal version of Ondilo, and the memory surprisingly made him feel better rather than worse. He really had no idea what about the dog made him think this, perhaps it was the energy and the extreme friendliness. Willing to talk to anyone, that's how both of them act. Or acted...

Ricky seemed slightly amused at Thundiirn's request.

"First time tryer eh? Best handle this baby then." the man said. The pole looked ominous and confusing. Thundiirn had no idea what to do with it, but he took it and held it cautiously in both hands, not wanting to look like an ignorant fool.

You can do this... If Ricky can do it while playing with Odis, you can do this while concentrating on the task. Thundiirn thought to himself, trying to coach himself along. He was already regretting asking to try, but he'd bought his ticket and now was determined to take his ride.

Staring dumbfounded at the pole, he quickly realized he had no idea how to even hold it. It was much more complicated of a device than first glance would suggest, coming up to about his nose when one end sat on the ground and covered in bits of string and metal. How complicated.

Most of the metal bits appeared to be little hoop hooks. Seemingly, these merely served to hold the string steady to the pole itself, as it ran through the center of every such hoop. He'd seen people fish once or twice before, though no one tended to catch anything halfway decent off the coast at home with Sunberth's polluted, nasty water. So he knew that the string would somehow end up in the water, and a fish would end up stuck to it.

As of right now, he wasn't sure what the little crank at the bottom was for, but he figured it would become apparent soon enough. The string ran right into it. Perhaps this was how one 'sets' it in the water?

He held the fishing pole pointed out toward the water, and tentatively twisted the crank slightly. Not much happened.

Gods curse you, pole! he thought, angrily, and then glared dolefully at Odis, hoping the dog would give him a hint so he wouldn't have to ask for help. Odis was not helpful.

Thundiirn
Seeking New Realities

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

How Not to Fish (Ricky)

Postby Ricky Maze on March 8th, 2013, 6:11 pm

Thundiirn meticulously took the rod and examined the thing. If there was any proof he was wet behind the ears it was when he looked upon the crank. Ricky slightly chuckled as he went for the other one, "Guess I better check this one as well." It was a hoax. He knew the rod hadn't received the same kind of reception as the other had, because that was the first fish that he would've hooked today. So why pretend he wanted to check the second rod? The answer would soon be found.

"Hnh?" Odis whined to Thundiirn, and when Ricky glanced over to see he fought back a laugh. Yeah, this lad is wetter than's Odis' mouth. He couldn't help the smile that was brought up, the laughter that remained held within escaped as a silent chuckle. Finally his line had reeled in fully, and revealed that his hook still had it's bait. "Ah well would ya look at that, could'a sworn the hook felt a lil' lighter." He acted with enthusiasm as he looked over to Thund.

"Since it's reeled in though I wager a demonstration would do?" He waited for a response from Thundiirn, Odis knew just what his master was doing; and his tail wagging tonge daggling expression proved that he loved it.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Next