Quest Screams In The Dark [OPEN]

Spring Murder Mystery Quest

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Screams In The Dark [OPEN]

Postby Astator on March 19th, 2013, 1:29 am

Imass/Garron

The man with the crossbow did indeed shoot Imass with the loaded weapon, it wasn't an intentional shot, more of a jumpy trigger pulling action. Luckily the guard wasn't aiming and the bolt grazed the knight's left arm and embedded into the wall behind him. After that it took the guards several more chimes to get the enraged akalak under control enough to drag him along to the crime scene.

It was there that the guards that had the elderly lady in custody took over the duty of manhandling the knightly drunk.

“So, you are the one they call Garron, eh?” The guard who wasn't Sevris spoke with a chuckle, “What do ya think of the mess?” He threw a finger back behind him.

Inodar

When the crowd parted and the guards allowed him to do as he was requested to be there for. With a hesitate nod the examining guard stepped towards the crowd, trying to disperse those that were just gawking there as only fools would. What Inodar could find out by the destruction of the victim was gruesome indeed.

The arms and legs were removed by what appeared to be a heavy bladed item, like a meat cleaver that a butcher would use in a shop. The gashes across the chest and face resembled those caused from some large animal like a dog or a bear...

Kelmer and Acarnatia

The scene unrolled like most anything else the agent could have possibly imagined in a time like this, the body was being poke, prodded, examined, and further mutilated in the name of science and justice... Unfortunately, he wasn't the one looking for answers. His proximity in the crowd allowed him to hear the hum of rumors about the man: '...some thug that got too close to something he shouldn't have...' or '…the body is a fake...'

Those though were false, it didn't take Kelmer's understanding of the underbelly or the city of Ravok to realize such sets of falsehoods.

Yet, the question that a fellow at the front of the crowd rang oddly suspicious: "Has anyone looked to see what that object in the corpse's mouth is?" The guard looked at the man, no one had mentioned anything about an object in the corpse's mouth and the guard turned towards the body, he could see nothing of the sorts from his location.

“Why don't you step over there by those two guards, you seem to have pertain information concerning the case.” The guard didn't give the man much of a choice in the matter.

Everyone Else
The crowd was thinning rapidly, mostly people being dragged away from the scene as more guards from the local areas that came due to the urgent call they had heard... Others left due to queasy stomachs or fear of being named the murderer.

One of the guards, a captain of the first squad, stood onto a small create that he had dragged over from a nearby market stall, “Attention any remaining bystanders. You are hereby being quarantined and placed under my custody until further notice. Any ghostly bystanders will be dismissed if they are found innocent bystanders in this mess. That is all.”

Well, here is the run down now!

• The wounds were found to be caused by both man and animal, but the exactly sort of instrument or animal used has yet to be determined.
  • All players so far are placed under custody and considered suspects in this murder case.
  • Sevris is now guarding Garron – The drunken Akalak Knight and the original suspect, the elderly market lady.
  • Garron has a minor scrape wound caused by a misfired bolt.
  • Kelmer hears a man asking about something that couldn't have possibly been seen from the crowd... This man, Acarnatia, is now being asked to go to Sevris and his unnamed partner for questioning.
Which way do you want to go? Up or Down?

Attention Players, Graders, and Storytellers:

A character sheet does not require the green checkmark for the player to roleplay. This is just a notification to all that the character sheet has passed through the Liaisons thorough checklist and meets Mizahar standards.

All sheets with a large red X or a speech bubble beside their thread title do not recieve grades and cannot continue threads they are currently involved in until all issues have been fixed and verified.

She said down...

Template Credit: 'Ello!, Helping Hands and Red-X Gift codes and images are from Firenze.

Image Credit: 'Ello Worm, Helping Hands Hands, and Avatar are all from the movie Labyrinth.

I will be handling all CSL related posts on Thursdays @ 1800 my time *
Astator
Helping Hands.

Words: 101205
Joined roleplay: January 30th, 2013, 3:34 pm
Race: Staff account

Postby Delos on March 19th, 2013, 1:36 am

Delos swore that one day his curiousity was going to get him killed. As soon as the word had been spread around that there had been a murder in the market his first thought had not been, "Oh, what a horrible crime," rather it had been, "Fascinating." From there it had only been a quick whisk away to the Market Disrict in the hands of a kind man who had been heading there himself. The little Pycon thanked the man and then hurried over to the gathered crowd of people.

Normally the little scholar would have been more than a little nervous navigating through a crowd of human, one wrong step a certain way and splat. His sense of curiousity however was much too strong to resist the urge to see what was going on. He quickly navigated through the forest of boots and nearly fell over when he saw the scene before him.

The body was sprawled out on the ground, signs of mutilation clear as the victim was missing his arms and legs. Blood was spattered all over the place, extremely messy and more than a little shocking to see lying in the middle of the market. A short distance away the Pycon noted a frantic looking old woman babbeling incoherently to guards. He backed away from the front slowly, melting back into the forest of legs. His vantage point was not exactly good on the ground, it seemed as though he would need a helping hand yet again.

The crowd began to thin out but still was hard to see, and the came the declaration. It would appear that the few people remaining would be under quarintine, unfortunately that included the tiny scholar. He sighed melodramatically, this is what his curiousity typically got him into, bad situations. Deciding that this would probably go better with that helping hand he'd wanted earlier he decided to ask one of the remaining human's for help.

The Pycon picked the nearest boot and craned his head up to see who the owner was. A young woman in a red dress towered above him, looking away from the scene, a look of horror on her face. Maybe she could help him.

"Excuse me miss, would mind helping me up? My view is a little limited down here," the four inch tall scholar asked, his tone refined and his words articulate.
Delos
Player

Words: 25119
Joined roleplay: March 17th, 2013, 4:15 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Inoadar on March 19th, 2013, 3:13 am

A single snort of unsympathetic amusement escaped Inoadar's lips as the encircling crowd reacted to being informed of their new-found status as quarantined suspects. 'Nothing like becoming a part of something to make you want nothing to do with it.' he sneered inwardly.

The newly arrived guardsmen turned those citizens back who were now blatantly combining haste with nonchalance in an attempt to escape this new development. Inoadar turned back to the guard with a grin. "Not so morbidly fascinating to them, now that they're involved, eh?" he joked with the Ebonstryfer attending him. The guard grinned and rolled his eyes, but then looked down seriously.

"Why is it suddenly so much messier here, Parnell?" the guard asked, stepping away from a slowly advancing stream of blood.

Inoadar felt a pang of satisfaction as he answered. "Well, sir, if you note, the new flows of blood are coming from the stumps of the limbs, rather than the open wounds on the torso. In fact, it is one of the signs I was looking for. One of the elements I have introduced was an anti-coagulant. It dissolved the scabs that had formed there. But it is of a unique compound that reacts far more effectively to synthetic coagulating agents than to the more natural, herbal types."

"I'm not following you, Parnell, what are you talking about?" the guard responded sourly, though there was also interest in the likelihood that there was something to be learned here showing on his face.

"When you buy a cut of beef from a butcher, there are never scabs on the sides are there? Well, why not? I mean, if I sliced into the muscle tissue of my arm, a scab would form, right?" the guard nodded once, and the look of interest became more pronounced.

"So it stands to reason that the cleavers, de-boning tools and such implements have an anticoagulant worked into their surfaces. And the synthetic types are made to adhere to such surfaces. Whereas, the herbal types..." he began counting off on his fingers, "...agrimony, goldenseal, potato starch, even mistletoe, do not work well on oiled surfaces like the blades of butcher's tools." he held a penetrating gaze at the guard while he waited for the man to make the connection.

"You're saying a butcher did this? I mean, obviously, a "butcher" did this, but do you mean a professional butcher? A meat cutter?"

Inoadar held up a hand, "Now, now, slow down. I'm saying the LIMBS were cut with tools that appear to have the same coatings found on butcher's tools, nothing more conclusive than that. Also the savaging of the torso was done by an animal, not any tool. Not only are they much rougher, but the enzymes show reactions consistent with saliva. And there is a marked lack of germ catalyst coloring, indicating a dog of some sort, or maybe a bear. Something with a reasonably clean mouth. But not a cat."

Inoadar did not consider that a cat-type Kelvic that practiced good oral hygiene would contradict this last statement, but he would not want to have complicated his findings with that observation, anyway. In the meantime, the guard was now conferring with his fellows.
Last edited by Inoadar on March 20th, 2013, 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
I would prefer you called me "Nolan Parnell"...In fact, I insist.

CS - + - New Ino Vations - + - Scrapbook - + - NMSS - + - Ravok Codex - + - FAQ - + - Travel Times
Inoadar
Still at Large

Words: 1029689
Joined roleplay: June 5th, 2012, 6:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Sevris on March 19th, 2013, 4:50 pm

Sevris had received new orders to guard someone. As he approached it seemed as if he was the person they had suspected of this foul play before. He believed his name was Garron. Other than he was unaware of any other information about him, besides the fact that he was really drunk. Also it seemed that he might have been injured while he was being detained, as a small graze wound was on his left arm.

Although in custody, Akalaks were known to be resilient. Especially the one that soundly beat Sevris when the Rising Dawn attacked. He kept a watchful eye on him however, the old lady still wasn't making much sense but they would get to her. Evenutally of course.

As Sevris took a fleeting glance back at the body, he saw a guard on by the mutilated body. And also someone else, for some reason he seemed vaguely familiar. The face, he couldn't quite place it but he was sure he had seen him before.

He was sure it would click eventually, but more pressing matters were to be attended too. A man was brought before him by the surrounding guards tending to the quarantined suspects. Acarnatia came closer to Sevris and his partner Jano. He was a bit shorter than Sevris but about the same age it looked like.

That didn't effect his questioning however, as he came to a stop in front of the Lazarin, he said, "State your name. And would you mind telling us how you 'saw' something in the victim, that no one else could see?" Sevris's tone was cold and icy as he began his interrogation.
Sevris
Loyal Soldier

Words: 187865
Joined roleplay: July 24th, 2012, 5:26 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Acarnatia on March 19th, 2013, 9:54 pm

Acarnatia turned towards the corpse, only then realizing that no one could actually see what was in the mouth without getting much closer. He was pushed towards one of the guards interrogating the old woman, obviously for questioning. Oh, no. Oh, no. Oh, no.
The white-haired guard asked him how that happened. His mind raced, calculating answers and the resulting outcomes, all the while taking note of the precious time he was using to do it. The longer he took, the more suspicious he would look. Finally, he let it go.
"I looked into it with magic," he said uneasily and softly, defeated. "I don't know what it is, though. I just thought that may be a clue."
Acarnatia
The Crimson Trueblade

Words: 8473
Joined roleplay: December 4th, 2012, 4:01 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet

Postby Vanari on November 20th, 2013, 12:21 am

Sevris
Observation +2 XP
Intimidation +2 XP

Lores :
  • A Babbling Woman, a Corpse, a Mystery
  • Guarding a Drunk Named Garron

Inoadar
Observation +2 XP
Investigation +1 XP
Teaching +1 XP
Rhetoric +1 XP

Lores :
  • Playing the Dutiful Citizen
  • Unofficially a Doctor
  • A New Lead: Anti-Coagulent

Noaru
Materialization +1 XP

Lores :
  • Irony of a Spirit Murder Investigator

Amelia
Observation +1 XP

Lores :
  • Seeing a Dead Body

Notes :
A shame this never saw its end.

Please don't hesitate to PM me with questions, comments, or concerns! Also, remember to either delete your grade request or edit it as "graded."

Cheers :D

A lonely heart is better than a bored one.

"Your Speech"
"My Speech"
"Vani"
Vanari
Vantha Vagrant

Words: 372424
Joined roleplay: July 29th, 2013, 12:20 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Previous