Closed [Vitrax]Bringing the Metal[Sevris]

A little spar amongst future rivals

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

[Vitrax]Bringing the Metal[Sevris]

Postby Clyde Sullins on March 6th, 2013, 6:56 pm

56 Spring 513

It was Clyde's first time coming to the Vitrax to spar, and already he was a bit nervous. Clyde was a mage, so he was not used to using his physical body to fight... Though he did know of mages who did so, even using a type of magic suited for it called flux, which he had never done to date.

Clearly, this meant he had a lot of work to do in that avenue, but it did not make it any easier for him. It just made it feel all the more daunting, the distance he had to travel in the skill to get decent even with it.

He looked about the room, trying to decide were to begin... He already had his staff in hand, which was a wooden weapon, so technically he did not need to find another training weapon... But he felt like it might be good to use something else also.

All around him was the sound of wood on wood, as men fought, bodies striking bodies in unarmed combat... Even the scream of pain as someone was struck... And out of his sight, someone was fighting with actual steel weapons, which were clanging with each blow... Perhaps they were dulled?

He looked over the nearest rack, holding his staff in his right hand, and let his fingers of his left settle over the different weapons... Swords were common... But he had little finesse for such things, and did not have the time to learn its complex styles and fighting ways, when he was busy being a mage...

Perhaps something that would be a bit more straightforward, that did not require finesse or strategy or agility, but instead was a head on blunt attacker... Maybe a mace or a hammer?

His fingers settled onto the wooden squared top of a practice light hammer, as he looked down upon it... The little one handed weapon, was much smaller than bigger two handed ones, but he bet it would still do well in combat.
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Sevris on March 8th, 2013, 2:23 am

Sevris Lazarin was a regular combatant within the Vitrax. Always ready for a good bout. He walked in to the usual sounds of men trying to best one or another. A couple of eyes began to train themselves on him. It seemed as if the other people in his group that helped him defeat the Dire had indeed been speaking of his actions.

They didn't openly call him Dire Slayer as the title was to cliche, but they still kept they're eyes on him for good measure. It wasn't enough that he had brought unwanted attention by being a Lazarin but it was whatever for Sevris. If they had a problem with him, they would have to settle it within the ring like everyone else.

Sevris picked up a weapon, a type of pole-armed type of weapon. There was no wooden form of his preferred choice the two blade sword, as it was a rare form indeed. But the pole was a close second and it would do.

His eyes drifted over more and he saw a fellow Apprentice contemplating which type of weapon to choose from. Already ready for some action he walked forward with his wooden pole-arm on his shoulder. He neared the tall tanned man, as he came closer he stopped.

He seemed to grab the attention of the other Apprentice. Sevris asked him with a smirk on his face, "Pick a weapon, lets see how good you are with it." A bit of shit talking was good for the blood. It helped him revitalize himself when all else failed.
Sevris
Loyal Soldier

Words: 187865
Joined roleplay: July 24th, 2012, 5:26 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Clyde Sullins on March 8th, 2013, 4:48 pm

Clyde took out the small wooden hammer, and tucked it into his belt, to pull out later. He would start out instead with his staff, which he had a small bit of experience in using... Though next to none. The whole reason he had come here, was to learn to use such things.

He however was distracted, by a person addressing him. Another man, one holding a long spear type thing... Or well, a spear was what came to mind. Likely that was the wrong name for it, but Clyde considered anything of that type, long stick to hold, with a pointy bit at the end, a spear. Though he had an inkling they were different... Something to do with a spear being able to be thrown, and this thing not... But he was no expert on weapons.

Clyde turned to him, looking at his smug look on his face, the energy in his voice. It almost made Clyde want to show him how outmatched this other man was, in comparison to Clyde, but that would require doing magic. And he had not come here to do magic, he reminded himself. Instead he settled on the knowledge, that he could kill this man, in the time it took him to blink and eye... But he was not here to use "his" weapons, but this mans.

"I think the weapons I use, are a bit above your rank. But if you want, I will try out one of these. But I make no promises to be good with your clumsy bits of wood you like to fight with."

He could not help that a part of his mind, was going through many explicit ways of killing this man... Slowly... But he would get his in the end... Clyde was a patient man... And not one to forget those who slighted him... So he would not qualm, about letting this other man be the winner... Today...

Clyde stepped forward, holding his staff in a two handed grip in front of him, diagonally across his chest. He simply looked back at the man with a neutral expression, not one of fear or anger or anything... Just, ambivalent. He took a step forward, and made a swing at the mans midsection with the head of his staff.
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Sevris on March 9th, 2013, 10:35 pm

It seemed that there was more to this Apprentice than his tall demeanor let on. He radiated a type of aura that sparked of untouched territory. He was unfamiliar with such a feeling but he was not quick to back down, even from the unknown. The man had replied in a honest tone saying,"I think the weapons I use, are a bit above your rank. But if you want, I will try out one of these. But I make no promises to be good with your clumsy bits of wood you like to fight with."

Then he started the bout with his own attack. Making a swinging motion with his staff towards the Lazarins midsection. His weapon already out Sevris moved quickly and blocked the hit. Using the lapse to jump back to ready himself. "What might these weapons be? Might your tongue be sharper than my blade?"

He performed a simple kata with the pole-arm and continued, "I know these wooden weapons may seem clumsy. But they provide a needed backbone for those who cannot fight using magic. Which is mostly everyone."

He was still young himself, figuring out the way the world works was to complicated. But living by the sword has taught him many things. That throughout history, mages and other supernatural beings have been an huge impact. However their actions sometimes calls upon the warriors of the land to protect what others cannot protect.

And others like himself call upon it to conquer. He sunk into attack postion and dashed forward at the Apprentice. He angled the head downwards and made it come up towards Clyde's head, he used the momentum to make the other end of his weapon come towards his midsection instead. A feint.
Sevris
Loyal Soldier

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Clyde Sullins on March 10th, 2013, 1:42 am

Clyde had honestly been expecting his foe to block his own attack. He was not to skilled with his staff, and would have trouble even besting another novice. And he had the feeling this person was no novice, in dealing with such physical weapons.

So when his foe had easily blocked it, with the longer weapon, and then jumped back out of range of Clyde's staff, he was not at all surprised.

"My tongue, sharper than a blade? Perhaps, I would not know. I can recall a time though, were a killed a man by simply uttering a word, without even raising a hand upon him."

This of course, could be read in many different ways. It could even be heard that he had ordered the mans death, and so technically would have killed him by uttering a word... But that was not what crossed Clyde's mind, instead it was filled with the thought of the words of an incantation he had once used... That was the fight in which he had killed a man with but a word. True enough to his words. He certainly had not touched the man then, or raised a weapon against him... Not a mundane one like the ones used here.

Clyde did indeed indulge himself with the mans next words... Which he found humorous... As he explained to him why these training weapons were needed, and that they helped people to learn to fight before stepping on to real ones... For those that could not fight with magic... Mostly everyone... How could he help but say what he next did, and smile as he did?

"Mostly everyone... Then I guess I am not everyone."

Clyde did the best he could do, to protect himself, from the mans next inevitable attack... As he came dashing in at him, he rose his staff before him defensively, and took a step back. He was caught off guard by the feint though, and had braced to block one attack, and instead was caught by the second real one. The blow managed to knock the staff right out of his hands, were it slid across the floor far out of reach.

Clyde reached down and took out the small hammer that he had tucked into his belt, wielding it with his right hand, holding it out before him head out.
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Sevris on March 10th, 2013, 10:02 am

Sevris became interested in the mans response to his earlier question. So he might have had a different side to him, than what was shown. Having a man being killed with just a utter of a word, was someone to look out for. Sevris however would rather put a man to death with his own blade. Like a certain Akalak from the Rising Dawn that had bested him terribly when they attacked the Temple of the Black Sun.

So nearly had he died, this thought angered him and pushed him to never be in such a predicament. He welcomed death, but not by someone stronger than him with the blade. But this Apprentice in front of him had already seemed strange, especially after his stern reply, "Mostly everyone... Then I guess I am not everyone."

Was this guy a mage? Was that the reason for his strong confidence, yet was not adept with a weapon? He grabbed a hammer after the blow that Sevris sent at him disarmed him. He looked like he was also not accustomed to the hammer as well. "Then who are you?" The Lazarin barked as he charged forward

Sevris sent an overhead slash down towards the mans clavicle. He didn't put his full strength into the attack but wanted him to test his defenses.
Sevris
Loyal Soldier

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Clyde Sullins on March 10th, 2013, 2:27 pm

As the man charged at him once more, he voiced a question, wanting to know who Clyde was. Well, didn't everyone? He supposed he was amongst "friends"... Though that word did not exactly sound right speaking of members of the Stryfe... Not when so many were backstabbers and turned upon and betrayed one another, withing the confines of what was allowed in the group...

Clyde had already learned that the weak were left behind, or killed if they slowed others down... And the strong... They made themselves that way, by getting rid of those who stood between themselves and their goals, even if it was fellow Stryfe members.

Perhaps it would be better the man feared him, and knew his name? Perhaps in this instance it would be... Might as well use a bit of intimidation, to show he was not one to go after.

His foe sent a slash with his weapon downward at Clyde's shoulder. Clyde acted more or less by instinct, more so than any planned out tactic. He knew he could not dodge, the weapon was to long. He knew just blocking would not work, as the enemies weapon had to much momentum, they would both end up being knocked back into him.

Instead, Clyde swung the head of his hammer right at the body of the incoming spear type thing. As they struck, both weapons bounced away in the direction they had come, but neither one hit Clyde. He supposed hammers were meant to be used in such a way, hammering and swatting at things, smashing them. He also supposed, that if his weapon had been made of metal as a real one was, then he likely would have smashed right through the wooden body of the spear... Perhaps he would like using a hammer, it was so simple, how could it not work? One just swung at things!

As he took a step forward, he made a swing at the mans chest, trying to move in before he had time to pull his spear back down to block Clyde's blow. He also spoke, in response to the mans earlier question.

"Who am I? I am Clyde. Clyde Sullins. Master of an arcane fury you know not of, and that would make you cringe to behold. I suppose that is who I am."
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Sevris on March 10th, 2013, 10:48 pm

"Who am I? I am Clyde. Clyde Sullins. Master of an arcane fury you know not of, and that would make you cringe to behold. I suppose that is who I am."

Clyde. So the Apprentice's name was Clyde Sullins, and as Sevris suspected it seemed as if he was magically talented. So powerful in fact that it would make someone of Sevris's caliber quiver in their boots. But he did not, maybe for the reason that he was not immediately faced with a magical attack. It was more stemmed from a fierce defiance of just accepting defeat.

Sevris replied, "Master of some arcane art, Clyde Sullins. Pleased. The names Sevris Lazarin. I am but a soldier seeking only to get stronger."

Clyde stepped forward with his weapon and tried to attack again as to catch him off guard. Sevris however was a bit faster and instead of using the polearm to attack, he sent a front kick towards his leading attacking arm. It would not disarm him but was just as effective as parrying. This freed him the needed time to resume another attack, angling it instead to send a lunge towards his chest.
Sevris
Loyal Soldier

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Clyde Sullins on March 10th, 2013, 11:43 pm

Clyde supposed, that when not facing the actual magic in question, a wizard was a lot less intimidating, to others. Perhaps they thought what was said was exaggeration, or even an outright lie... He had faced this problem before, and knew only a demonstration would allow him to be truly intimidating.

But then, this was not the time for such a demonstration. This was a time for a physical fight, not an arcane one. Besides, his foe had no such abilities, and would easily be swept away and beaten in a matter of moments, in a real fight of such arcane powers. So Clyde instead had to live knowing his own power, which he currently should not use... Should not, not to be confused with could not, as he was certainly capable of doing so, even if he did not choose to.

Clyde registered the name, Sevris Lazarin. Of course, the name struck a memory. Petch, were the Lazarins everywhere? He had himself been instructed under one, in Magecrafting, which admittedly was not one of his best magical arts, but still one he was decent at...

This time he missed his attack, as his foe unexpectedly sent a kick at him to block it, forcing it away... Of course, if this had been a real fight, he once more thought, he likely would have just broken his foes foot... While he could do that with a wooden one, what was the point of using such tactics in a spar if it would not work in a real fight? In that context, it seemed a bit silly to him.

Clyde having taken a step back, had his hammer back up defensively, as his foe swept in to try and stab him in the chest with the wooden tip, which though blunted would still smart pretty well. Clyde countered this one similarly, and knocked the head of the spear wide with a blow to it, making it miss him by a few inches of his side.

Using the moment it gained him, he searched for his staff, and tore off after it to regain his larger weapon as fast as he could run.

As he ran towards it to pick up his staff, he spoke over his shoulder.

"Yes, master of a few, knowledgeable of many, in the arcane arts am I. Though I have met another of your families name, which was a mage. He taught a subject of one of my lesser skilled magics, at the Institute."
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Sevris on March 11th, 2013, 6:35 am

Sevris cringed slightly as Clyde describe being instructed by a man related to him in the Institute. There was of course without a doubt he met that man. He remained a thorn in his side for his existence. He felt that if Sevris was not to learn magic as most of the Lazarin's did, he was weak and therefore non-existent. "That old man? You learned something of use from him, you are fortunate."

The Ebonstryfe Mage had now taken his weapon and was now poised in position for another round. He was determined nevertheless, despite how he felt personally about weapons. But the question remained, how would he fair if his magic was nullified?

And the only weapons available would be either his hand or a blade. Sevris would test that out then. His head hung to the side as his white hair shifted in front of his face. He came forward yet again but this time he put the pressure on. The Lazarin came within range with a stern look on his face as he threw a three hit top and bottom combo at Clyde. Starting with a head swing, to a low sweep, back to swinging head shot.
Sevris
Loyal Soldier

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Trailblazer (1)

Next