A Magical Trade (Clyde)

L'orlei meets a potential customer, and makes an unexpected trade.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Home of the Konti people, this ivory city is built of native konti stone half in and half out of the sea. Its borders touch the Silverwood, and stretch upwards towards Silver Lake, home of the infamous konti vision water. [Lore]

A Magical Trade (Clyde)

Postby L'orlei on June 14th, 2013, 5:35 pm

L'orlei considered Clydes words as he drew out his glyph and explained further what he was doing. He had a good point, though L'orlei's shell did in fact have a meaning and purpose to her. It was true, part of the reason for it was to give it a distinct Konti flair, but L'orlei was fairly certain that was not what he wanted to hear. He wanted to know why the shell specifically was chosen as a focus, and what it meant.

"Well... part of the reason I choose the shell is because it has to do with the ocean, and Mura, but there is more to it than that. If you pick up a clam shell, for instance, you are likely to find something inside. It could be a clam, but I prefer to think of a pearl. The shell is..."

L'orlei paused as she began to reconsider her logic. Before, she had always thought of the shell itself as the magic.. but in fact.. the shell made more sense as a barrier, and the pearl was the magic. As she explained it out loud, however, she began to realize the flaw in her former thought process.

"Hmm.... well... I was going to say, the shell is the magic.. but.. actually, now that I think of it, the pearl would be the magic, and the shell is keeping the magic inside.. like.. like a barrier.."

She paused again, this time her cheeks turning slightly red as she realized the mistake she had been making the entire time. The shell should have been the barrier all along. The waves that she used to draw around it were unnecessary, at least at her level of skill. She wasn't sure why she would need a second barrier, but perhaps later she could figure that out.

"I.. I'm sorry. I think I need to start over."

If the shell was in fact the barrier, and the pearl was the magic, that meant she needed to rethink her design. The way she currently drew the shell, there was no way she could work a pearl into it, without making things even more complex, which was something she was not ready to do. Granted, there was little risk in trying something complex with her magic since the worst that could happen was that she would heal herself. But there was no sense going the extra mile to make the one she started work if there was a more efficient method. Unless Clyde had ideas of his own, of course.

Kontinese - Green | Common - White | Tukant - Cyan
L'orlei
Player

Words: 139554
Joined roleplay: December 21st, 2011, 8:03 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

A Magical Trade (Clyde)

Postby Clyde Sullins on June 14th, 2013, 5:56 pm

Clyde hoped that in showing his own thought process, it would aid L'orlei in her own. To possibly look at things more objectively, more analytically. It might help, or it might not, but it was hard to say.

However, as he looked at his own Glyphs, he did notice a trend. A common factor in almost all of his work was circles, and symmetry. They both seemed to almost go hand in hand with World Magics. Especially the circle, as he had previously stated.

He listened as she explained her reasoning, and smiled when she saw it was faulty. Not smiling to make fun of her, or to laugh, instead smiling in that he was glad to see his method had worked at assisting her and enhancing her Glyphs.

As she apologized for her mistake, he shook his head, once more serious.

"Never apologize for progress. You have done nothing wrong, in fact you have done well, for seeing a issue, and finding a way to fix it and make it better. Finding fault in ones own work is one of the toughest things to do, which is what makes solo work so hard. That is what World Magic is all about. Experimenting, finding new ways, new paths, more refined processes. Don't feel ashamed for that."

Clyde looked at the parchment, picked it up and held it close to his face for a moment, and then set it back down, this time with the shell facing down.

"The thing about parchment and paper is, it has two sides to it. Sometimes though I like to keep a piece of scratch paper around to write out my ideas, and then make the final version on a actual piece of paper for the final scroll. So you can either use this for scratch work, or start over on the other side. I doubt it will cause any issues either way."

Clyde gave her a moment to think, before saying one final piece.

"I am not sure how much you know of World Magic in general, but circles appear to be a recurring theme. I find they strengthen your work when you include them when you can. It does not have to be a literal circle, it could as easily be a circular style design, or a circular pattern to the arrangements. Or even something more vaguely related to the circle. Such as the swirls I used at the ends of my branches of my focus."
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

A Magical Trade (Clyde)

Postby L'orlei on June 14th, 2013, 7:54 pm

L'orlei was still a bit embarrassed about her mistake, but Clyde was good at not making her feel bad about it. He may have been socially inept, just as she was, but he was a good teacher, and L'orlei always strived to be a good student. The girl listened to everything he had to say before nodding and flipping her paper over. There was no sense in wasting the entire parchment when the back would work just fine.

"Okay.. I think I have an idea for a new design for the focus, though it might be a bit rough since I've never drawn it before. But I'll try to do like you said and make it something with more purpose and meaning."

L'orlei took her quill, dipping it in the ink and put it to the page once more. The first thing she did, in fact, was start with a circle. Theoretically, that might have been enough, but she wasn't going to settle with just a circle. A circle had no real meaning to her. Sure, it was the shape of a pearl, but other than the figurative meaning behind it, it wasn't really meaningful to her. She began to add more to the circle, drawing what looked like wings on either side of it. If Clyde were perceptive, or had been paying attention to her face at all during their time together, he would see that they vaguely resembled the wings of her gnosis mark in the center of her forehead.

"Okay, how does this look? The circle part is of course the pearl, which works out well because of what you said about circles. But the wings represent healing, like the serpent on my gnosis mark."

L'orlei tapped her forehead, just to drive home the point, before she moved back to let Clyde get a better look. She wondered what he would say about it. The focus was less complicated than the shell she had drawn before, but it was more meaningful, and had a distinct "healer" quality to it with the gnosis wings on either side of the pearl. To her it made perfect sense. The "pearl" was her healing magic. The shell, which she would draw later after Clyde gave his approval or disapproval, would contain the shell. And then of course there was the trigger.

Once again witness my masterful artwork! :
So.. here is vaguely what the focus would look like:

L'orlei
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

A Magical Trade (Clyde)

Postby Clyde Sullins on June 14th, 2013, 8:52 pm

Perhaps to some what Clyde said would appear nice, or that he was trying to spare her feelings. In fact, it likely would appear as such to most normal people. But in truth, he was just being blunt and truthful, and saying what he felt was true. If he had felt she should be ashamed for it, he likely would have told L'orlei so. Luckily for her though, he did not, and he had not had to say something that likely would have made the teaching more difficult.

Unlike before when his truth had revealed to her that she had more or less been cheating people out of money, possibly, by selling poorly crafted healing scrolls.

"That is fine, and all I ask. This is practice, and as I said it is about experimenting. It is not like if something goes wrong, like when storing Reimancy, it will explode and injure anyone. By the way, just for future reference, be very careful when storing live spells of Reimancy..."

"I nearly got hit by lightning once when someone decided to jokingly damage my Glyphs, and released the spell. All it takes is a scroll getting ripped in half, ruining the Glyphs, and out will come the spell. The same can happen with a poorly crafted scroll, if it cannot contain the magics held within."

Clyde watched as L'orlei began work on her new sigil, scrawling out a focus Glyph. Not surprising after his last words, she started off with a small circle drawn. But she did not stop there, as she continued to draw out some protrusions from it... It took him a moment after she finished to realize they were wings, or supposed to be. And when she made reference to her gnosis, he realized that was what it was supposed to be.

"I think it looks fine. Intent, purpose, and a deeper meaning to you in line not only with the idea of the focus, but also the thing that will be sealed into it. An interesting idea, to make a sigil as what is sealed into it, in a way."

"Alright, so on to the next step."
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

A Magical Trade (Clyde)

Postby L'orlei on June 17th, 2013, 8:43 pm

The next step for L'orlei was the shell. However, since the shell was originally the focus, and she was now using it as a barrier, she had to do things a bit differently. Dipping her quill once more, she began the slow process of tracing out the barrier. It was a series of small glyphs in a mixture of Kontinese script, something Clyde would not be able to read, as well as other symbols that seemed to fit her purpose in her own mind. The overall theme was a description of containing things, and keeping the treasure hidden within until opened, and it circled around the "pearl" in a vaguely shell-shaped formation. It looked much different than her original glyph, but it still needed a lot of work overall and was no where near perfect.

The entire process took quite some time as it was more detailed, though not really much more artistically challenging, than the focus itself. It was also larger, and surrounded the focus, which took longer, though it was a series of symbols that repeated themselves in a pattern, so after the first set was drawn it became easier and easier to duplicate the rest. All the glyphs in the barrier were not equal though, and some were of slightly different size than the others.

When all was said and done, L'orlei sat back once more to let Clyde have a look. She thought the barrier was much better than on the scrolls Clyde had seen before. Not only was it more meaningful in shape as a barrier than as a focus, but she made the gylphs themselves more complex and specific to what she wanted the scroll to do. She hoped that this would make it contain the magic better, but she wasn't sure.

OOCNot going to draw it out this time.. but I didn't notice this before, but the lore says that the barrier is a "series of glyphs" and in the past I always imagined it as a solid line type thing, so that's why I changed it up a bit.

L'orlei
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

A Magical Trade (Clyde)

Postby Clyde Sullins on June 17th, 2013, 9:17 pm

Clyde looked at L'orlei's barrier, and nodded once. Though he could not read it, and did not know what the words said, he could still read the Glyphs, or at least understand the intent of them. It was an instinctive thing any Glypher could do, reading the intent of any written Glyph, even ones not their own.

He traced along the line of words, as it depicted its odd shape, noting a few minor issues, but nothing major or that would cause any issues. It was not how he would have done it, but for L'orlei and her purposes, it would suit. It was certainly much better than the one she had shown him before, at her stall.

"Better. Much better. I see a few minor weak points here and here" he said pointing at spots on the barrier, "were you might want to add another word or Glyph, just to reinforce it and make it hold stronger, but I think even without it this scroll is good."

Clyde paused for a moment to look at the Konti, nodding once more.

"Symbols are important, and so are their deeper meaning. Even though I cannot read it, I can still read the intent. This is an important ability of any Glypher. Try and look at my Glyphs, or the work of another, before they tell you what is what, and I would wager you could understand what the Glyphs did without being told."

Now he set out doing his own barrier, which was different to L'orlei's, but similar to one he had done a long long time ago. It was a series of lines slashed across the scroll, intersecting, crosshatching all the way around the focus. As he did, he turned the scroll so that he wrote in the same place with his hand, but shifted the spot of the scroll that was under his quill.

As he worked it quickly became a odd diamond like formation, were each time a set of lines intersected on either side, in between a diamond shaped image was made. It was left with many little end lines sticking out of the edges of diamonds, so that the X's that met to make the line as such, XXX, were sticking out. It slowly curved as it went around, till it encircled the entire focus.

Then he drew a diamond, filling in one of the insets of sticking out ends, so that half of the diamond was inside the barrier, and the other half, a triangles worth, stuck out. That was his trigger, which he had gone ahead and done.

OOCYep, technically the only Sigil that is a single Glyph is the focus. But I often do my barrier as a wavy line or something. In that case I count each curve as a different Glyph. Or I do words surrounding the focus with each word being a Glyph, but I have not done so of late. So as long as you don't do one solid unchanging line, I think it is okay on the barrier to count it as multiple Glyphs. You could even count each line of the shell as a separate one.
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

A Magical Trade (Clyde)

Postby L'orlei on June 21st, 2013, 4:39 pm

L'orlei watched as Clyde began to draw out his barrier. She noted that his hand was much steadier than hers, and was impressed when he began to turn the page while drawing at the same time. That was not something she could do herself, at least not so smoothly. His barrier was actually a rather simple design, which when complete, looked more complex than it really was. The X's formed diamonds, and created a rather complicated pattern, but watching him as he drew it proved it was indeed rather simple in the end. She also noted that he added in his trigger, though she could not tell what the trigger actually was. Was it a verbal trigger, or something else? L'orlei was not sure.

"I can see you added the trigger in too.. but how is it triggered? I... I guess I'm not good enough to tell just by looking yet. Is it verbal, or some other kind of trigger? Mine are usually verbal."

To prove her point, though Clyde had already seen one of her scrolls before, L'orlei began to work on her own trigger. It was set in the bottom of the shell within a semi-circle of glyphs. The trigger was primarily a creation of stylized konti script, which basically read, "Release when the words 'Heal Me' are spoken." Of course, Clyde would not be able to read what the trigger said, nor would anyone who could not speak kontinese, but the trigger was simple and quite obvious in how it worked. Speak a verbal command, and the magic inside the sigil is released.

"This is how I've always done mine. They just say the words,heal me,and it will release the magic."

L'orlei
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

A Magical Trade (Clyde)

Postby Clyde Sullins on June 21st, 2013, 5:34 pm

Clyde looked down at his scroll, as she mentioned his trigger. It took him a moment to realize what she was referring to about it. His incomplete trigger.

"Ah, good eye. No, that is the trigger mechanism, I have yet to add in the wording of the trigger. That shape here will simply intersect with the lines of the barrier, allowing it to influence it. When my actual trigger is done, and activated, it will turn off my barrier, and as a scroll works, that releases the magic out of the focus."

Clyde leaned down to his scroll, looking it over. Making sure he had not missed anything, before doing the final step of wording his trigger.

Then he looked at L'orlei's own final Glyphing. The finished scroll. Under his tutelage, and direction, it had gotten much better. This scroll might even hold for quite some time.

"Alright, so to finish I will word my own trigger. Though to show you what is possible for a more skilled user, I will make my trigger much more complicated. It won't be a simple vocal trigger. Then you can fill each with your gnosis, and compare."

Clyde paused for a moment, and then began to write out his own trigger conditions next to his trigger mechanism.

Upon a person needing healing having the focus of this scroll pressed against their flesh, who has permission to use this scrolls magic by the creator of this scroll Clyde Sullins, the barrier of the scroll will be released, freeing the magic stored within.

Clyde paused for a moment, and looked at L'orlei.

"Of course, one issue with a vocal trigger, is that the words of the trigger should be accidentally spoken in the presence of the scroll. That is why if I use a vocal trigger, I also make it require the speaker to be holding the scroll, or some such condition that helps stop accidental activation. Of course, such a trigger might be beyond what you can currently manage... And one such as I did, utilizing both need and permission, are much beyond your current ability."

Clyde waited for L'orlei to fill the scrolls, and then would motion for her attention.

"And now... I suppose it is time for the Reimancy initiation... So unless you have any final questions, I will need you to disrobe so that I can Glyph your body in preparation."
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

A Magical Trade (Clyde)

Postby L'orlei on June 21st, 2013, 7:57 pm

L'orlei nodded with understanding. Now that he mentioned it, she realized he was right. Her scroll could go off at any given time if someone just happened to say the right words. It was a flaw she would have to learn to fix. Of course his scroll was much better, and more complicated than she thought necessary, but it was a good example of what she should try to make hers like in the future. What came next was both simple and hard at the same time. Using her gnosis was easy when she was actually healing somebody, but when it came to putting it into scrolls it took more concentration. When somebody was wounded, her gnosis practically demanded to be used, but currently it was dormant.

"Okay, this should only take a moment."

L'orlei held her hand over her own scroll first, closing her eyes and taking a deep breath. She drew it in all the way, letting it fill her lungs to capacity, before exhaling slowly and letting her body fall into a more relaxed state. It took a few more breaths like that before she was physically ready, but mentally, she wasn't quite there. Several more shallow breaths, her eyes remaining closed the entire time, and she was ready. Her meditation skills were basic, but they were enough to calm herself to be able to enchant a simple scroll.

"Rak'keli," she whispered, "Lend me your power, so I may lend it to this scroll, and one day heal another."

The prayer was not technically necessary, but L'orlei always pray when using her mark. The Konti reached out with her mind to the gnosis on her forehead and felt it come to life. She felt as the power coursed down through her arms and into her open palms, emitting a soft blue glow. Normally the glow would spread out over the wound before sinking down inside, but instead L'orlei directed it at the parchment. The glow was absorbed by the sigil. L'orlei held her hands there for as long as she thought was necessary, though less than a chime. It was hard to determine how much healing energy should go into a scroll.. too little and it wouldn't be enough to mend even minor cuts and bruises, and too much would just be wasteful. When she was done, L'orlei repeated the process with Clyde's scroll.

"Okay, they're both ready."

L'orlei wasn't sure what they would do next, but it seemed Clyde already had a plan, a plan that caught L'orlei by surprise. She hadn't expected Clyde to actually initiate her. The entire time, in the back of her mind, she thought he was simply going to leave, considering her services already repaid for the lesson. But now he wanted to initiate her! It was only a moment later that the rest of what he said dawned on her.

"You want me to... disrobe?"

In truth, it wasn't even the disrobing her that bothered her. It was what would happen after. All that exposed skin and scales.. and if he had to glyph her, that most likely meant extended contact. L'orlei's gift was to sense the names of others, but it went deeper than that. If somebody touched her for more than a second or two, she began seeing the names and faces of everyone they had ever known, starting with the most recent, to the very first. It was.. overwhelming, and L'orlei avoided extended contact at all cost.

"I... um.. okay.. but.. when you touch me, either.. make it quick, or hold on to me and don't let go until I tell you."

L'orlei knew he would want more information. She didn't like telling people about this part of her gift. Even some konti were uncomfortable with it. It wasn't as if she could remember all the names that flowed through her head, or knew how they were related, or anything else to do with the people she saw, but it was an invasion of privacy. And one she couldn't control.

"When you touch me, something is going to happen. Like when I knew your name.. Avalis gives me the names of everyone I meet. But if they touch me for too long, I learn of everyone they have ever met.. just their names, and faces. I don't learn anything else.. and I usually can't remember them, it happens too fast. It.. shouldn't take more than a chime or too, depending on how many people you have met. And it only happens once.. unless you meet more new people and touch me again. But it's overwhelming.. so you'll have to bear with me."

Before he could respond, before he could complain because she knew he might, L'orlei stood and slipped out of her robes, the white garments falling around her and revealing the young, beautiful body of the konti beneath. Her skin was light and soft on the bare parts of her body, and light green scales covered the rest. L'orlei had been naked around other konti before, while swimming or in the baths, but never had she revealed herself to a man. It was.. nerve racking, but hopefully it would make him forget about her gift and get on with it. ..and hopefully he wouldn't try anything other than glyphing her. As much as L'orlei wanted the magic, she didn't want to go that far to get it.

L'orlei
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

A Magical Trade (Clyde)

Postby Clyde Sullins on June 21st, 2013, 8:32 pm

Clyde had to wait for awhile, as L'orlei filled up the scrolls with her gnosis. First one, and then the other, he watched as her mark flared to life, and the glow entered into the focus of the scrolls.

Once she was done, Clyde rolled up the scroll he had made, and set it inside of his pack. The lesson with it was over, and it would not hurt to have a healing scroll around, even if it was only a 1st marked one.

He did need her to disrobe, so that he could Glyph her. Mainly he would do her stomach, up her chest to her neck and throat, and over to each of her arms. Then up the arms to her palms. That was usually enough, and the normal path his res would take on its trip.

He turned around to get out his inscribing paint, which he would use to Glyph her, it being more long lasting and less likely to smear, but as he turned around he found L'orlei standing before him, completely nude. Which was to say the least, unexpected.

He coughed, and looked up at the ceiling, his face growing a bit red.

"I did not mean you had to take off everything, I just meant down to your underthings."

Clyde glanced back down, his focus ending up on her scales, which set her apart from a normal human. They were green, and just looked... Odd. Almost like they should be fake, and would come off, but they were not... He had never seen a naked Konti before. The points were the scales and skin met just seemed... Odd... And yet also right, on her. Like it suited her.

"Well... Well we will just have to make due. I have to touch you to do the Glyphing, if you want it done properly. And I doubt I have any names in me that I would care of another knowing. Or any that would make any difference to you."

Clyde stammered on for a few moments, before returning his gaze to her body, and then picking up the pot of paint. He did his best to look at her professionally, trying to picture out the Glyphs as they would look, what paths they would need to take... Trying to be professional, but his face was still red.

Suddenly, for some unbidden reason, he thought of Kyra. She looked sort of like her, minus the scales, both on the small and frail looking side, both blonde... For some reason thinking of her helped him calm down a bit, and the redness in his face lessened. He was a professional, and he would do this, and not be awkward about it.

He set to work on his Glyphs, opening the pot of paint, and beginning on her belly, just above her bellybutton. He worked quickly, scrawling out a circle with his hand, and drawing several wavy lines coming off of it, all around the circle. At the end of each of those lines, he drew another circle, and then drew some more wavy lines coming out of it, till the marks covered most of her midsection, and to her sides.

He traced a line up to each of her arms, a long looping line. Once it reach her arms, he went back and added a dot inside of each of the loops.

Then he had to lift up her arms, each in turn, and drew up the underside of them, from her armpit, to the inset of her elbow, and to her wrist, continuing the curvy line with loops, and dotted in holes.

He then moved back down to the main Glyphs, on her midsection and belly, and began tracing another line up straight out, heading for her neck.

This one he went back to his earlier design of the diamond pattern, with the X'ed lines making diamonds when they matched up as XXX. This part of the sigil needed to be more solid, as the main flow of res would flow down into her mouth and throat and into her chest that way.

He traced the X diamond pattern up from her midsection, in between her breasts, and up to her neck, all the way up to her jaw, were he finally stopped.

Done, he headed back to his pack, and took out a dagger, to open her palms with a shallow cut on each.

"Alright, now I need to make some slight cuts on your hands, on each palm, and then the initiation will begin. Are you sure you want to go through with this? There is no turning back after this."
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

PreviousNext