Questions: Everything

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Ronan Dugal on March 21st, 2013, 1:27 am

How much weight does a wagon carry?
Which vehicle is considered the best for transporting goods?
How does negotiating affect prices of items that are listed with only one price?
How accurate are maps of regions?
Are flashbacks frowned upon?
Can I have a business without a set location?
How do I go about selling items as a trader? Can I only sell to PCs or am I allowed to RP the varies NPCs that I sell to?
Can I invent secret languages like signing or written code?
How long does it take to travel from one city to another?
Can I buy and sell non trade good items?
How do I make money through trade? The price list only has one price for most items.
Can I have a lore of the general location of all cities in the world? e.g. Syliras is near the sea in the middle of mizahar, Avanthal is in the north, also near the sea, Taloba is in the SW of Mizahar, in the middle of Falyndar.

That's about it, I think.
"Focused? That's always the word you eccentric types love to use." ~ Miria

Ronan Dugal
Aspiring Merchant Prince.

Words: 288665
Joined roleplay: March 17th, 2013, 5:01 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Elysium on March 21st, 2013, 2:04 am

e
It depends on the size of the wagon. Look up realistic sizes via search engine.
A wagon, I'd imagine.
You can take artistic license within reason, dictated by the local storyteller and your skill level.
They're as accurate as it gets.
No, flashbacks are encouraged.
You must have some form of HQ, I believe. Otherwise it's more an occupation than a business.
You can sell to/buy from NPCs.
I suppose you could, again, within reason.
It depends on where you're headed. Some journeys can take seasons.
Define "non-trade good items."
You PM a local storyteller for a job as a trader, or you PM Gillar with a business plan.
We have a comprehensive lore page that could have answered almost all of these questions. You merely have to look.

e
Elysium
Never venture, never win.

Words: 519270
Joined roleplay: December 12th, 2012, 9:49 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Artist (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Ronan Dugal on March 21st, 2013, 3:15 am

I mean, the item you can buy Map, Region, how accurate is it? Does it show roads and inns along the way? Does it detail hills and mountains, forest and grassland? Or just where the general location of civilization is?

Non trade good items are basically everything that is not listed as a trade good in the price list, like weapons and armor, poisons, clothes,...

And for the lore, I meant as a starting lore for my character.

Ronan Dugal

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Zuriel on March 21st, 2013, 2:03 pm

Good quality maps such as these detail known landmarks, important points of interest as well as areas to avoid.

I would imagine this means the map would definitely show roads, and would show the location of forested or mountainous areas in the form of styalized drawings much like most irl maps do. It would also show region specific landmarks and the like however, if you are planning on stopping to trade at inns in towns and villages along the way you'll find yourself running low on business I'm afraid. Even along the roads that do exist in Mizahar there are no small settlements, an un-walled settlement even close to a city would be quickly overrun by beasts, monsters and their ilk.

As for the lore you might be looking a little broadly with that one (Disclaimer: I am far from an authority on the matter so just about anyone else trumps anything I say), Although you might be able to get something like "Lore of Zeltivan Ship Routes" which could give you a nice start.

I had a random idea while reading this and typed it out before realising it was not entirely in the field of answering your questions, but hey it's here anyway so you can read it if you like.
Wild Tangent :
You could then explore (whilst trading) to find the other cities, maybe get a hold of quality regional (and even city) maps IC from the respective regions (and cities). Each region is only a boat-ride away, save Falyndar and once a regional map has been procured finding the other cities within the region shouldn't be hard.

Then you could put them together in a sort of world atlas.

Since there are only city and regional maps in-game, you might even be able to produce and sell said atlas' for a reasonable price.

It could be an interesting thing for a character to do. Travel around and collect quality maps of the areas he visits and at the end of it he could "set up shop" and possibly turn a profit. He wouldn't be short of PC's to run into either I'd imagine.
- Z
"Common Speech"
"Zith Speech"
"Thoughts"
Zuriel
Player

Words: 31566
Joined roleplay: February 23rd, 2013, 2:35 pm
Race: Zith
Character sheet

Postby Ronan Dugal on March 27th, 2013, 7:23 am

1) Can I attempt to get a Gnosis that is currently not finished yet/being made?

2) On that note, is it possible for me to write a page for a gnosis or any other information in game?

3) Is it possible to gain a Gnosis without actively or on purpose worshiping the god? Can someone be given a Gnosis by a god without he or she knowing about it?

4) How would I go about obtaining a Gnosis from a God after already having created my CS and everything?

5) Can you have multiple beneficial Gnosis marks at the same time? In theory, is it possible to have every mark?

6) How long does it take to travel from one city to the next by boat? And what about on foot/horseback/other transportation?

7) If I buy a common good in one city and then take it to a city where they import this good would my common good become a higher quality good? Perhaps even rare?

e.g. I buy one pound of snow hare pelt (fur) in Avanthal and then transport it to Syliras where nobody has ever heard of a snow hare let alone seen one. In the whole city of Syliras there is currently 1 pound of snow hare pelt (mine) wouldn't that make the pelt, which is common in Avanthal, rare, if not legendary?

8) Where/How do I get a storyteller secrets page? I've seen people with it linked in their profiles but I can't seem to find how to make one for myself. I'm looking for a central place to store information about my character(s). And a word file isn't enough as I swap computers on a daily basis.

9) Is there an aerial postal service in Mizahar? Is it possible to communicate between cities through the use of messenger birds? Or is there some sort of teleportation magic that would allow me to send messages over long distances in the blink of an eye?

10) If I want a second character am I allowed to interact with my first character?

Ronan Dugal

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ronan Dugal on April 4th, 2013, 1:52 am

If I write a book with my character about my past life, would it be considered a present action thread or a flashback thread and would I need to post it in my current location or in the location where the things happened in my past?

Also, ninjabump

Ronan Dugal

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Khida on April 4th, 2013, 8:35 am

1. I believe you can, you just can't use it IC until the writeup is completed.

2. For skills and some other things, yes; for gnosis, I would expect not. See the 'world development' forum.

3. Pretty sure you can't get a gnosis without knowing about it. Maybe one could be in denial, but that's not the same as being ignorant. Getting a gnosis from a god you don't worship is... maybe remotely possible, depending on the god, but you'd still have to come to their attention somehow. Most gods really only mark worshipers -- at least with positive gnosis. Now, if you want a negative mark...

4. Once you're past 50 posts, you have to get it in a moderated thread with a storyteller (I believe DS or above).

5. You can have multiple level 1 and/or level 2 marks. If you get a level 3 mark, you can't get any more from any except the deity that gave the L3 mark.

6. That's a work in progress and depends on the cities in question. For the time being, you might poll chat or PM a storyteller for travel times on any specific route.

7. Can't answer that one, sorry.

8. A storyteller secrets page is for ST use only. Try the plotnotes forum for your notes.

9. Voiding is probably the closest magic to what you're looking for. Can't speak to the messenger service -- pretty sure there's nothing extensive established, but homing pigeons are on the price list, so the potential is there.

10. No. Never. They can't even be in the same city. See the Alt Rules.

11. If you're writing the book in the present, I'd expect it's a present thread and should be written in your current location.
Khida
Player

Words: 574944
Joined roleplay: April 14th, 2012, 11:14 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Ronan Dugal on April 4th, 2013, 8:55 am

Thank you very much Khida. This was most helpful.

Now, question 12. If I write in a book about doing something in the past do I gain both writing skill and whatever skill I did in the past? Seeing as how it sort of combines a flashback with a present writing thread?

Ronan Dugal

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Khida on April 4th, 2013, 9:12 am

I would expect not, because your character is writing about what he did. He's not actually doing it.
Khida
Player

Words: 574944
Joined roleplay: April 14th, 2012, 11:14 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Ronan Dugal on April 4th, 2013, 9:37 am

But he's writing about something that happened in the past, a flashback.

So, in order to gain the XP from both I'd have to write about it and then post it in flashback form?

Ronan Dugal

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next