[Featured thread] Life in Ravok [Valerius]

It's all about to change.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Life in Ravok [Valerius]

Postby Melenna on May 2nd, 2013, 5:41 am

A cryptic smirk edged across Melenna's lips as Valerius finished his questions. It was, at first, a frustrating situation where each of her words and nearly all minute meanings they might have carried were countered in a whirlwind of accusations and debating logic, but something about it all sparked humor in the exhausted konti. The grayed blue of her eyes lit up, bright enough to dance, and she stepped away, nearly twirling as she did. Her hands casually moved about the harp, cupping it in her arms as they folded behind her back.

Was her young master debating with her or himself? Was he keen to hurt her or more inclined to friendly conversation than he believed? She didn't know whether to counter his points with more of her own or to simply back off and let the words cool, but one thing was certain—she was having a jolly time of the whole ordeal. She decided to start off slowly, keeping a meek tone with her head slightly bowed towards Valerius.

“I must admit myself first and foremost confused, but I defer all to your judgment. When I think of myself, I do not think I am entirely sane nor insane. Can you imagine one of my circumstance, being kidnapped from a home miles and miles away and dragged across your fine streets in nothing but my own skin being entirely right in the head after so much? If I should be whipped or sold or conversed with or made to be a cook's friend, I must leave the decision to you, as it is within your power to make me whatever you wish. If I am sane, it is upon your word, and not mine.” Melenna's smirk turned into a full smile, but her head was turned slightly away.

“As for Tuuli... would you prefer me to act more as she does, speaking nothing to reflect your thoughts? Or were you, perhaps, saying that she ought to be more like me? It is also possible that neither is the case, and you are saying that we all ought to be like her.” Melenna naturally knew what Valerius had meant, but drew it out simply for the sake of contradiction. “Whatever the case be, I wish you happiness, for it is not found in things, and I believe that such an emotion would lead one to treat me better than one with simply more power over the world of men. Which would any slave prefer?

“While I do dare to say more at risk of my own detriment, I feel I should point out that thus far, you have not been cruel—at least not in regards to what I have come to understand of captors. That is not to say that you will not be or are not capable of becoming such, but from the time I saw you until now, I have felt kindly towards you because I feel you have been generous. It may be only sensibility to others or basic humanity, but I do not believe such to be as common as you think.”
(Avatar pic by Mirish @ deviantart)
Melenna
There are no accidents

Words: 77281
Joined roleplay: March 16th, 2013, 7:05 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Life in Ravok [Valerius]

Postby Valerius Nitrozian on May 10th, 2013, 1:36 pm

„I cannot imagine what somebody in circumstances like yours would be like at all“, Valerius replied. He had absolutely no interest in imagining what her situation was like either or that it had not been entirely pleasant. „But I’m pleased to hear that you’ll leave all the important decisions up to me.“ He laughed very softly. „It’s not as if you have a choice in that matter anyway. Apparently you still have some small amount of sanity left.“

„Neither“, he said as she asked him if he wanted her to be more like Tuuli – or Tuuli more like her. „I was simply making an observation. You seem to be complete opposites. I wanted somebody to keep her company, but it seems unlikely that you’ll ever be friends. As for happiness, we seem to have different views of what that concept entails. I believe that power can make you happy.“

Deep inside of him there was a part that wished for more than just power over other people, but he ignored that part, as always. Valerius Nitrozian didn’t want to be a loser, a weakling, a coward. He also couldn’t help but wonder whether he should try to be cruel so that she wouldn’t feel kindly towards him anymore, but for some reason he was disinclined to do so at the moment.

So he simply reminded her instead, „I asked you for one good reason why I shouldn’t send you to work in the kitchen. You didn’t give me that reason yet. Or did you think the fact that you feel kindly towards me would suffice?“
Valerius Nitrozian
Player

Words: 470233
Joined roleplay: February 11th, 2012, 6:39 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Life in Ravok [Valerius]

Postby Melenna on May 11th, 2013, 7:12 pm

“I'm sorry to say that I can't think of any reason not to visit your kitchen.” Melenna remained poised, ankles together as she practically balanced her full weight on the tender flats of her toes. It was a comical pose, as if she were a young girl about to dance away from a delightful pursuer as he sought some stolen treasure in her arms. “In all honesty, I still feel a bit peckish, and it's been months since I've considered the pleasures of foreign cuisine. Do you think anyone would miss an apple, perhaps some grapes? The weather here doesn't seem good for mangoes or oranges, but I'm sure so wealthy a family has no trouble with imports.”

“Of course, I don't profess to be any manner of cook, but I did learn a few things from my grandmother. She loves cinnamon, and I still remember the sweet zest she made with the stuff. All you need are cinnamon sticks, lemon juice, a hint of mint, and then you sprinkle it over some strawberries, peaches, mangoes... would that be to your taste? My grandmother was never much of a baker, but her cordials are always delightful—I could try my hand at those, too. It's the perfect kind of day for sun and sweet things.” One of Melenna's hands slipped away from her back as she spoke, drifting to and fro as though she were garnishing an invisible dish.

Needless to say, the konti seemed to be truly cheerful at this point, egged on by the slightest sound of laughter. Though she was in the attitude of teasing, her smile was tender and her gaze was soft, directing each word at her master without making their tone sharp. “If you should like me to stay, I will linger to do as you wish. Though you do not wish to divulge it, I know there must be a great deal on your mind. I am unworthy to hear your thoughts and less than qualified to offer advice or comfort, but I'd like to think of myself as being somewhat more entertaining than a wall.”

Melenna paused for a moment, only to step closer again with her head canted slightly to the side as she directed her full gaze at Valerius. “There is one thing, though, that I should like to ask. You say that power can make me happy, and yet I cannot see it—must be the barbarian in my konti blood. Suppose I did have control, or power, as it were, over you. If I could make you do anything that I wished at any whim, how could I be happy? It seems to me that excitement often comes from anticipation, from not knowing exactly what will happen. I should enjoy the sun today because it may rain tomorrow, and I should enjoy your company now because I do not know when I will leave it or if it will change for the worse. It makes my heart skip and my thoughts dream to wonder what will happen and what I might do to increase favorable odds. Do you not experience that in your research?”
Melenna
There are no accidents

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Life in Ravok [Valerius]

Postby Valerius Nitrozian on May 19th, 2013, 10:39 am

„Apparently you have misunderstood me“,[/b Valerius remarked. [b]„I don’t consider sending you to the kitchen because you look hungry, and I want you to enjoy the pleasures of foreign cuisine, it was meant as a punishment. It was a threat. I thought a musician like you wouldn’t want to work in the kitchen. But if you enjoy cooking and possibly even cleaning pots and pans, the threat is pointless and I need to come up with something else. Is there anything you find particularly unpleasant?“

Valerius did not look indifferent at the moment. He looked slightly unhappy. He was not used to his threats not working. If he had told Tuuli she might have to work in the kitchen, she would have begged him for forgiveness! He founs himself reminded of the impossible Tock who had been his guest a while ago again. She had always talked back. At least the Konti was dressed like a woman …

Sometimes he wondered what would have happened if he hadn’t hit her. Despite all her flaws the woman had been quite entertaining. Had she gone back to Zeltiva? Was she annoying the important people there now?

He did of course not share his thoughts about Tock with Melenna. And neither did he tell her whether anybody would miss an apple or some grapes. He also didn’t make a comment about what she had learned from her grandmother, although he had to admit the recipe sounded delicious. As she stated that she was unworthy to hear his thoughts, he nodded though. „You might be marginally more entertaining than a wall“, he reluctantly agreed. „Although I do not usually entertain myself with walls. Unlike you I’m quite sane. And unlike you, I enjoy making people do anything I wish at a whim.“

That was not entirely true. There was excitement missing from his life. But he didn’t want to hear what was wrong with his life from a slave! There was nothing wrong with his life!

„Do you honestly enjoy my company?“ What would he have to do to make her not enjoy it? The thought of Melenna enjoying his company, even if she didn’t really have a choice, made him a little … uncomfortable. He wasn’t somebody whose company people enjoyed!

„Nothing ever makes my heart skip, and I don’t dream about what will happen either“, he then informed her. He sounded proud of that. „But I do enjoy my research and the possiblity of making a new discovery and unexpected things happening.“

„Now, what do you not enjoy? Do you like dogs? Do you have a problem with Akalak? What about Kelvic and their bodily functions? I need to find something I can use as a possible punishment for you, and I still find myself reluctant to hurt you for some reason.“
Valerius Nitrozian
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Life in Ravok [Valerius]

Postby Melenna on May 28th, 2013, 11:40 pm

Melenna's light expression slowly drooped into genuine sadness as she watched her master go on about punishments and the utter bleakness of his heart. For once, it wasn't herself that she was worried about, but him, this young and promising creature brainwashed by Rhysol's followers. How could anyone do such a thing to a child, to make him utterly paranoid and to sap all simple pleasures of life from him? What was wrong with dreaming, or making real friends, or just enjoying the world around oneself? Even a peasant with nothing more than a field and a shack could learn to love the scent of earth and the coolness of rain, taking pride in work that sustained his body and kept him strong. The heart of a sentient being, one that could love and hurt and change, had been rotting for years in some dark cocoon Valerius' family had made for him—what was more nightmarish than that?

But that's the way Rhysol works. In all the tales, the warnings—who could he deceive better than his own followers? They seek to put other creatures in bondage, and yet they are slaves themselves, fearing the wrath and madness of a wicked and vengeful god. Melenna shuddered lightly at her own thoughts, tensing and drawing her gaze away from Valerius. She didn't move to answer his question for a long moment, caught in morbid reflection as she considered what she ought to say.

She was tempted to lighten the atmosphere by taunting the young man further. It seemed utterly ridiculous to the konti for a man like him to expect her to reveal her weaknesses so bluntly, so she thought of all kinds of false punishments to tease him with. She could tell him how horrible strawberries were once sweetened with sugar, how miserable long naps in the sun were, and perhaps even how rough and cruel long swims were. At the end of all the brainstorming, however, she could only come to the conclusion that it was best not to test Valerius further. After all, her wits weren't going to last much longer when she was still exhausted and shocked from a very long day.

“Perhaps I have gone too far, Master?” She loathed the title, but imagined that it might help placate the proud noble. “Your upset is punishment enough for one whose pleasure is to please, and if it would bring you peace to have me out of your company for the moment, I would happily oblige. You need only say the word.”
Melenna
There are no accidents

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Life in Ravok [Valerius]

Postby Valerius Nitrozian on June 1st, 2013, 2:32 pm

„Yes, you have“, Valerius replied as she asked him if she had gone too far. „It’s good that you have realized that. Maybe I will not punish you after all – this once.“ He was pleased to note that she seemed to finally have learned her place Was talking about possible punishments really all it took? Maybe there was hope for her after all! Why, she had even called him ‚master‘!

But a tiny part of him … a very tiny part of him wished that she wouldn’t just become a lighter skinned copy of Tuuli. Tuuli was pretty, she was submissive, she always did exactly what she had been told, but she was useles as far as intellectual debates were concerned. Tuuli didn’t challenge him, and she didn’t share any of his interests.

„Peace? I’m not sure if sending you out of this room will bring me peace“, he admitted. It would take him at least a bell or two to get over the unpleasant things she had said to him. „But regardless, I want you out of my sight now. Come back tomorrow though.“

With that he gestured towards the door, and then he turned away from her, expecting her to follow his command without question.
Valerius Nitrozian
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Life in Ravok [Valerius]

Postby Melenna on June 1st, 2013, 4:37 pm

Ah, the dismissal. Being treated as his inferior would have insulted her, but even the most proud artist could be broken. The reality was that Valerius could do anything he wanted to her, and while she still hesitated to believe that he would hurt her simply for speaking, that wasn't an assurance. At the end of it all, she simply didn't want to be in pain anymore to be bullied and punished by men who saw her as little more than an animal. If her new master chose to turn his back on her, to deny the soft company and friendly words she desired, it was certainly not the worst he could do. And as she looked back at him, that painfully rigid line of his back against the fine clothing, there was the faintest wink of hope. The young man may have lost most of his heart, but he still seemed to be a class of gentleman that was above that of a slaver.

“Whenever you should need me, I will come.” Melenna curtsied despite the fact that Valerius' back was turned, punctuating her words with more respect than his dismissal deserved. The one thing that kept her longer was the harp in her arms—a new object of affection she was loathe to part with. It didn't seem a good time to ask for permission, so she had no choice but to set the instrument lightly down on the table in his room before moving to the door and making her exit. After that, she didn't know what to do at all. Valerius hadn't ordered her to her room, so the whole house seemed open to exploration, but she was starting to waver on her feet. She'd have to find Tuuli, have to get to her room to take everything in and get some rest.

The idea of sleep brought a strange sense of hope—part of her still hoped to wake up and discover that the whole ordeal was just a dream. She wanted to wake up in her home, to smell warm tea and hear the voice of her grandmother chatting with her mother. Ah, and how she longed for the sea! That fresh, foaming water, the mist rising up from the shore, the sound of rock against wave—all of it set against the stunning red of a sunset along the white pines was true perfection.

But those memories brought only pain a moment afterward, as the konti had to make her way through the cold and elegant hallways of the Nitrozian Estate. She could only hope that time would bring her more peace, and that, perhaps, a friend awaited her somewhere in Ravok.
Melenna
There are no accidents

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Life in Ravok [Valerius]

Postby Verilian on July 17th, 2013, 2:58 pm

Thread Award

Melenna

• +2 Observation
  • +3 Rhetoric
  • +1 Medicine
  • +1 Philosophy
  • +1 Lyre
  • +1 Singing
  • +1 Interrogation

Lores: Prepped for Selling, Sold for a Paltry Sum, The Song of Valerius, The Song of Tuuli, Valerius little Secret, Placating the Master

Valerius Nitrozian

• +1 Negotiation
  • +3 Observation
  • +3 Interrogation
  • +2 Philosophy

Lores: Purchasing a Konti, Laying down the Rules, Questioned by a Slave, Played like a Lyre by a Slave,

Expenses: -300gm

Loot: 1 Melenna

You Question My Logic? :
XP explanation goes here.

Notes: So I guess my first note will be on the playing of the Lyre. Please play within your skill level. You only have 5 points in the instrument, and 10 in singing. Think back to the days of your first lessons with an instrument, if you do indeed play in real life. Think about how you stumbled over every note, found it difficult to hit the right string just the right way, or how your voice could never hit the right notes perfectly. At 5-10 points, you're more akin to being in your first day or two of class than what you wrote, nice as the song was. Also, the bit about the cooking recipe.. again, this is playing above your level. You have no points at all in cooking, actually, and no lore about any recipe. This really isn't a huge deal, as it is reasonable to know things from your post, but it is something I wanted to point out since it falls under the same category.

All that being said, this thread was great. I loved the back and forth between you two. The way Melenna always seemed to know just what to say to put Val off guard, and Val's constant attempts at remaining in control of himself and the situation. It was a great read. Good job, and keep writing!

Notice

As per the request of the Founders, threads cannot be graded unless your CS is up to date. This means you need to add threads to your thread list when you make new threads, keep your skills up to date, ledger, living expenses, ect. If you aren't up to date, you'll get a PM from me before i grade your thread. If you are up to date, disregard this notice.
Forecast for tonight... Dark
-----
Wind Reach---Wind Reach Lore---WR Request Thread
Verilian
Retired Staff

Words: 1113582
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:53 pm
Race: Staff account
Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Previous