Soul's Hate [Kiyeri]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is Falyndar at its finest. Danger lurks everywhere - in the ground, in the trees, in the bush. Only the strongest survive...

Moderator: Gossamer

Soul's Hate [Kiyeri]

Postby Razkar on March 27th, 2013, 4:25 am

7th Day of Winter, 511AV
Outskirts of Taloba
8th Bell

There was a simplicity here that Razkar had always and would always love. All politics and philosophies, even moral justifications, were left behind once the grass and stone receded and all was choking jungle. All other concerns were stripped away as the trappings of civilization fell away to wilderness.

Nothing but predator and prey. Hunter and hunted.

But they paled in comparison to the hunt itself.

Sounds assailed him, some soft, some loud. The distant calls of jungle birds, high in the canopy. Some harsher, closer to him. The crunch of his feet on dry leaves of fresh, weeping vines. The awesome rush of wind through the endless green, first faraway and indistinct, then shaking the trees and leaves around him with the casual ease only the gods could command. The feel of the wooden shortbow in his hands, smooth and carved wood reassuring, arrow notches by string not taut... patient, and waiting...

Five other shadows crept forwards on either side of him. Five others of his fang, half their number, covering a two hundred yards or so. It was meant to be a line, but the debris-strewn nature of the Jungle made such uniformity difficult if not impossible. They were keen, though, eyes always moving, ears cocked.

They were not just hunting. They were training.

They were the mouth of the jaw.

A flash of movement ahead of them; something large and suddenly still. A moment later a bird call screeched out from behind the shape. As one unit, Razkar and his five comrades froze. They knew that call. It was not from a bird of this region... it was a signal. They all knew what it meant.

Prey sighted.

They waited, fingers tense and caressing their bows... impatience blossomed as moments dripped by, Razkar baring his teeth-

Another call. Ending in a low, keening, almost-savage bark.

Close the jaws.

And at once, the jungle behind the animal erupted. Half-a-dozen screaming, howling Myrian warriors, stripped down to their loincloths and wielding spears and blowpipes and bows, burst forth from cover and charged towards it. But around it, also. Razkar could see even now that they moved not in a line, but a rough half-circle, giving the beast no angle to escape to its sides or front.

Forcing it. Herding it.

Towards them. The bottom jaws. Those honored with striking the killing blows.

The high-pitched squeal of surprise told Razkar that it was a wild boar, even as he raised his bow and drew back the arrow. A minor mountain of lichen-infested fur, a rough head marked by burning little eyes and curved tusks, running headlong away from one threat-

-and straight into another.

"Now!"

Six arrows were loosed at the shouted command. Those from the side were cursed with a sideways-moving target, a difficult shot. Razkar and three others were nearer the center, but even with a clearer shot... Razkar felt the tremor of fear, seeing the enraged beast crashing through the undergrowth.

Still he fired. He was a Child of Myri, a warrior of the army of Taloba. And this was their jungle.

Six arrows flashed through the humid air. Two missed. Four hit their mark.

The squeal became one of agony and the boar faltered. Four spikes of painful wood speared it through leg and neck and chest, and its charge ended as its leg collapsed and it smashed into the ground-

"Again!"

Fresh arrows were notched, and a second volley repeatedly impaled the squealing, doomed creature. This time, none missed, and Razkar saw its trembling and thrashing cease in a rush of blood. Arrows pierced its head and neck... and he knew what had to be finished.

Moving swiftly and in silence, he lowered his bow and drew his gladius. Face set but eyes shining, he walked to the frothing, dying animal... and then he spoke his words both to it, and the spirits watching them all.

"Go from this world, brother," he whispered, raising the gladius, "And find peace in the next world."

The gladius came down, and the jaws snapped shut.

----------

The Barracks were home to them all after years from their clans, and returning with a massive bounty like the boar made Razkar's heart swell like it did when he had done the same for his own clan. Other fangs looked on with a mix of jealousy and grudging respect.

Razkar saw one of them, a stocky female named Riye, step forwards and jerk her head towards their prize.

"How did you manage to bring that thing down?"

Razkar ignored the implied barb and cocked an eyebrow. "We clamped our jaw on him."

Riye nodded slowly. Ah, an old Myrian strategy. Driving the enemy where you wanted, putting fear and confusion in them... then striking with the rest of your force from the opposite direction. Like great, grinning jaws. Hunting expeditions were but one means of practicing this.

"Your envy is writ large, child," the Fang Leader herself said over her shoulder, not slowing as she led her fang back home, "Go train, and seek not secrets from those already accomplished."

A chorus of laughs barked from hr fang and Riye stiffened as if struck by a stiff breeze, but dared not retort. No-one dared jape with Rehkuna, save Fang Leaders of her own experience and ferocity. Razkar gave her a smirk as he passed, and soon they were in the training yard where their beast would become feast, and-

And there was someone else there. Someone whose very presence commanded Rehkuna to drop to one knee, her fang following in one swift motion behind her.

Kreesha, general of Myri, cold and hard as granite despite her skin the color of a lustrous jungle, regarded them all in a single gaze. Razkar was taken by her beauty, as he always was when he saw her, but knew that it was the beauty of a fine blade or a well-wielded weapon. Kreesha was prime among the generals of the Taloba army, and in two decades of war on the behalf of the Goddess-Queen, she had rarely lost a battle. Her flawless skin was a testament to that skill.

Dozens, scores, hundreds of duels and battles, but hardly a scar... what does that tell you?

"Mistress Kreesha," Rehkuna finally said, in a tone of respect he hardly heard her use for anyone else. "You grace us with your presence."

"I am not here for the pig."
Kreesha spoke with characteristic bluntness, extending a thin scroll to the Fang Leader. "We have received word from the south-west, fresh from the Roost. Your fang is being sent with two others to meet a new threat."

Rehkuna's eyes snapped to her superior, bright with bloody anticipation. Her fang followed suit, dogs of war eager at the promise of combat and practically straining at the leash. Razkar's hands fell out of instinct to the ax and gladius at his belt, every inch of him focused on the words to come.

"What threat, mistress?"

And when he heard them, spat out with disgust and hatred, something older and partly-buried in his soul ripped itself free from shadow and grieving memory. It came before his mind and roared with joyous, savage thanks to the Goddess-Queen, for planting before him the enemy that had grieved him most of all.

"Earth Demons."
My Words | Your Words | Myrian | Fratavan | My Thoughts
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Words: 2242619
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2012, 12:04 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Soul's Hate [Kiyeri]

Postby Kiyeri on March 27th, 2013, 6:47 am

7 th day of winter, 511 av
outskirts of taloba

9 th bell

"Kiyeri. Stay close to the clan group." "Don't run off." "Don't do this." "Don't do that." "Don't put your mouth on that!" "Stop hitting your niece!" "If-you-make-that-noise-one-more-time-Myri-help-me-I'll-be-wearing-your-skin-by-the-end-of-the-day."

Kiyeri's morning was supposed to be a happy one. They were, after all, going to reunite with a good friend and their family by sundown. She had only desired to become closer with her clan, but her mother, Tima, was the one that she had aimed to impress. Unfortunately, after only an hour of stomping through the jungle's terrain, her mother's face was already red with sweat and anger. Not that the older woman's displeasure with her youngest was unwarranted. Kiyeri had a reputation of being disobedient, and most of her 'help' was destructive.

This morning was only routine. She had already gotten into an argument with one of her older cousins, a wild haired 9 year old with a mouth as smart as hers. They chattered incessantly for a good time until her oldest sister (Tiye), and the girl's mother, had to pry them apart. "Chukumu-yala!"

"Oi, sister, tell your daughter to watch her mouth or I'll watch it for her." Kiyeri wasn't a fan of letting a child have the last word.

"Kiyeri, would you please?" Tima's voice was a low hiss, saturated with enough malice to poison a Dhani's kin.

"But...mama..." she whined.

"No buts."

"Fine.", she mumbled, her own ego bruised by her mother's scolding. So they walked, each person neatly fitted side by side behind Eiya, the grandmother and matriarch of the Flint Knife clan. She was a wise woman, and much more sensible than her subordinates. Years of warrior duties and child rearing have made her more patient and tolerant of the girl's behavior, so she make a decision.

"Since we've traveled this path so many times, it should be best if we had someone that could warn us of any danger. Kiyeri, because you have just learned your calls, I want you to stay behind. When you become a warrior, you must learn to be a look out."

Really, the old woman felt that there would be no real danger, and intended this to be practice for her youngest grandchild. It was a task given to all of her children when they grew up, and now, it was Kiyeri's turn. The girl nodded and slowed down, giving her and her clan some distance apart.

It was far enough for them to know that she was doing her job, but close enough for her to watch them. Every few steps, she'd climb up a branch to see what was ahead. So far, she saw nothing.

To say that it bored Kiyeri was an understatement.

So, she decided to make a game out of it.

She would grab her walking stick, and pretend that she was on a hunt. She would stalk the trail like a predator would, albeit, clumsily. It could only take the girl a second to realize that she was lost. But more importantly, she had lost track of her clan. So, in a desperate measure, she made a bird call, hoping that they could recognize the sound and turn back.

She had no fear in her heart. Clearly, this was just going to be a routine day. Her mother would try to wring her neck and her grandmother wouldn't allow it, but by the end of the day, they would make their destination and eat and drink and talk.

Everything would be routine. Or so she thought.

In the distance, although, still too far for her to notice, were the lumbering bodies of animal-like warriors. Their bodies were half-formed and grotesque, they were not like the Myri, but they looked like them. Monsters, Earth Demons; formed from the dust to only cause chaos. And they were coming closer.

'Mother will skin me alive if I don't find them...' Kiyeri thought, unaware of the intruders' presence.
And in the spring I shed my skin
And it blows away with the changing wind
The waters turn from blue to red
As towards the sky I offer it

Kiyeri
This is a gift, it comes with a price.

Words: 29840
Joined roleplay: March 25th, 2013, 8:01 am
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Soul's Hate [Kiyeri]

Postby Razkar on March 27th, 2013, 8:56 am

It was not like before, but it did feel similar. The Myrians marching through the undergrowth, now three times their numbers, but alert, weapons drawn. The sense of prey in the jungle, their purpose resonating through their ranks.

But this prey was no hoary old boar. These were Earth Demons, grotesque abominations birthed by Goddess-knew-what, creatures that existed only to maim and destroy.

If one had the nose for it, one could denote the slightest whiff of fear emanating from the thirty warriors that fanned out from Taloba, heading south-west at a steady pace.

But not from Razkar. If there was, it was masked by a stark, urgent hatred.

Erama and Oxil both sensed it in their comrade. His face was set, lines pulled back and viciously intent. His eyes blazed with a barely-restrained rage, held in check only by years of discipline in the army of Taloba.

Swish... swish... swish...

Ax and gladius twirled impatiently in his hands. Erama frowned minutely: he was less like a warrior in readiness and more a beast waiting to be unleashed. Admirable... but of no use to the fang.

"Calm yourself, brother."

Razkar shot her a look and anyone else might have caught a stinging retort. By the tattooed female had been his friend for years now, and he appreciated her insight. Usually.

Besides that, she could have flattened him with a few deft moves, and they both knew it.

"I am calm."

"Or a poor liar."

"You know why my choler is thus,"
he hissed back at her, crunching decaying plants and leaves as he walked, "What these monsters took from me-"

"Not these monsters. They were destroyed and burned to the last." Erama pointed out calmly. "This horde is just one more threat to be eliminated."

"You will forgive me if I do not see it that way."

A strong grip arrested his arm, locking him in place. Shapes moved past them as the rest of the war party advanced, some sparing them looks, but he had no eyes for them. His bore into Erama's, fiery and furious where hers were calm and cold.

"I will forgive you that," she said lowly, dangerously, but with just enough concern to remove her words from a threat. "But I will not forgive any danger you bring upon our brothers. Your rage is earned, but out here, it is selfish. Temper it. Cage it. Use it when you must, and not before."

For a long moment the two stood there, bound by more than just Erama's grip. Razkar felt a snarl attempt to curl his lips... but it never came. He remembered... oh, he remembered well how his anger and grief had marked him.

Watching his mother fall to those... demons. Purging them with blade and flame had not eased his agony. It never would, no matter how many he killed.

She gave her life for her clan, her people and he clan. She knew the risks... as do you. Past is past. Now matters. And now, you are a warrior of Taloba.

"... thank you, my friend."

Erama just grunted, ghost of a smile on her face.

"Don't petch it up, Raz, and we'll call it even."

"No promises."

"Uh-huh."

"When you two are quite finished, we have demons to find."

That distinctive growl made them both snap to attention as if they were back on parade ground. Rehkuna had come upon them as silent as a tiger on the prowl, despite the fact she towered over them both. She gave a low snort and gestured to the receding Myrians.

"Move!"

That they did, and the time passed. More ground was covered, endless miles of jungle that covered most of their domain. To the barbarians beyond them, it was all just a massive, faceless labyrinth of vines and trees and leaves and bark. But these were Myrians, and they knew their lands. They knew the sounds that carried through it.

Razkar frowned when he heard one that did not belong, and was familiar. An animal call, one he had been taught when he was a boy. A slight... strangulation? As if the caller was in pain? Or afraid?

"There is someone out there."

Oxil frowned. "There is a smaller trail in this area. Perhaps travelers?"

"It was only one voice."

Oxil shook his massive head slowly, warhammer that he had graduated to from his club shifting from hand to hand. Alone in their squad, only the big, burly male was strong enough to wield it in battle (a source of considerable resentment among the proud females, let me tell you).

"Impossible. Who would travel the jungle alone?"

Razkar had to concede that point. The Myrians were strong and knew their jungles like their knew their own faces, but they were not stupid, and traversing the vast green land alone was tantamount to suicide. And yet...

"Zuran, Erama," he said sharply, weapons flexing in his hands as two head swivelled his way. "With me. Oxil, stay with the rest, alert Rehkuna."

"Raz, you can't-"

"Wont be long!"

Oxil opened his mouth again but the trio were already rushing through the undergrowth, weaving through vines and over fallen trees with typical agility. He frowned and muttered under his breath as he watched them vanish.

"Wonderful. Leave me to explain to Rehkuna..."

Three shapes moved swift and sure through the jungle. Seen from the canopy, it would be like three predators homing in in a single, stranded, erratic prey.

But, like I said, there were other predators stalking the wilds. A great cluster, barely half a mile from the lost girl, that communicated only through guttural, inhuman barks. Their bodies shambled, not walked, crafted by uneven and demonic hands as they lurched through the undergrowth.

Heading north. Towards life. Towards prey. Towards anything they could slay, torment and destroy.
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Soul's Hate [Kiyeri]

Postby Kiyeri on March 27th, 2013, 10:59 pm

"TIYE!"

"ALTIYA!"

"EIYA!"

Echoes.

Silence.

Her heart beat faster than it ever had in a long time. She could literally see the scowl on her mother's face, with her teeth bared and gleaming. It was a terrible sight that would only be reserved to enemies...and wayward daughters. Kiyeri plopped against the wood's bark and stabbed a fist into its surface, as a show of defeat.

She had one job and she couldn't even do that.

Why were things so complicated and frustrating when it came to her? Killing, fighting, war...she was a miserable failure at these things.

Maybe this was her fate? She was meant to be left alone, to die in this canopied world. After a few days, she would more than likely starve and waste away into the ground. Kiyeri shook the thought from her head. "No..." she mustn't be so melancholy. She'll more than likely catch her family at the last minute, and if her mother got mad, so what? Angry or not, Tima would never kill one of her own.

It was clear that she was being nothing more than a mere, melodramatic teenager. No, things were good. The sun was high and there was nothing that could hurt her. She would be safe.

She stood and began to survey the ground beneath her. It was a regular sea of green and brown and many other shades of Taloba. The sun's rays would peak through the spaces of the trees to highlight the jungle's dangerous beauty. Slpwly, she began to slink down to the ground floor, soft vines and leaves softened her landing as her eyes darted from tree to tree. She still needed to keep her wits about her.

Using her walking stick as a guide, she prodded through leaves and green debris. She made another call, only this time, it was more controlled and near perfect (which would later prove to be a fluke, she was still a novice).

Brown-green eyes squint as she strains to see what were the silhouettes of other Myrian? She kept low and called again as she grew closer. Was this her family? No...no, they felt like strangers. Friendly ones, she hoped.

Kiyeri

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Soul's Hate [Kiyeri]

Postby Razkar on March 28th, 2013, 12:11 am

"Doesn't that sound like a child to you?"

Razkar snorted as they snaked forwards through the undergrowth, closing in on whoever it was out there, still making bird calls and-

"No, it couldn't-"

"TIYE! ALTIYA! EIYA!"

Zuran turned to his comrade and gave a beautiful example of what is known as a "shit-eating grin". Razkar responded with a grimace and a silent gesture with his hand that's pretty universal in Mizahar. Erama just rolled her eyes and started moving again.

"Put your cocks away and keep moving," she growled.

They did at that, but they didn't have to go far before they found the source of their hunt. Kiyeri turned at the rustling and saw three warriors of Taloba stalk out of the vines and leaves, each armed and looking to her young eyes like avatars of Myri Herself.

The youngest male, slender and toned, curved ax in his hand with an ebony handle and words carved into the gleaming head.

The female with her twin gladii in her hands, face covered in intricate tattoo-work, speaking of devotion and pain endured.

The last male, almost as ink-strewn as the female, an ax in one hand, a gladius in the other, obsidian eyes glaring at her somewhere between curiosity and suspicion. Then he saw how old she was and the three of them relaxed almost as one.

"Young one, what are you doing out here?" Razkar asked bluntly, barely giving her time to answer before barking, "Speak, girl! We don't have much-"

A faint noise. Faint, but unmistakeable. The warriors' ears twitched. They looked up. Kiyeri could hear it too. Distant, maybe half a mile, but...

"Yuk... Yuk... Yuk-Yuk..."

"Goddess... they're close," Erama said, the girl forgotten for the moment, "We need to get back to the war-"

"KI-YE-RI?! KI-YE-RI?!"

Raised voices, shouting a single name. Two dozen of them by the sound of it, coming from the opposite direction of the faint "yuks". Razkar's blood ran cold as those distant, inhuman barks suddenly doubled, tripled, trebled in their intensity-

-and then they heard the sound of a hundred crashing feet through the undergrowth.

His head snapped down to the confused girl. "Kiyeri?" A furious nod. "Shyke... They're heading straight for them..."

He could see it unfolding now, the sheer, cosmic bad luck of the whole situation. The Earth Demons were attracted by noise, activity, any trace of life or civilization. They would wander aimlessly for weeks, months, even years, over any terrain, until they found something to kill. Perhaps they would have kept wandering until they found a village, or even the walls of Taloba itself.

Perhaps, but not now. Not after the calls of the traveling Myrians had reached them. Now they had a target, and were running headlong to engage it.

They will have no warning. They will be slaughtered...

Razkar's head snapped to Zuran, the younger warrior and, despite his reluctance to admit it, the less experienced.

"Zuran! Run with all haste to the war party, tell them the horde is found and Myrians are in danger! Myself and Erama will raise the warning for the civilians and hold them off!"

Zuran looked at him like he was insane. "Two of you?! There could be dozens-"

"Every moment you tarry brings them closer!"
Razkar all but shouted, feet already itching. "Go!"

Zuran paused, jaw clenched, conflicted... but he knew his comrade was right. The war party would be needed to end these monsters, and word had to reach them. With a final nod he turned back to the undergrowth, sprinting on spry feet into the distance.

Razkar and Erama turned to the girl. Razkar saw she had no weapon, but right now, she was not a child. He couldn't afford to discard any weapon, not with Earth Demons on the march. But what else did he have?

Ah... fuck!

With another, more audible if muttered curse, he reached to the small of his back and held a double-headed dagger, a precious gift from his beloved Ayatah, out towards the girl. His face was stone and serious, not even trying to lie to this girl about their enemy or their chances.

"We must go, Kiyeri." He said simply, every word hammering home that childhood was ending that day. "We have monsters to slay."
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Soul's Hate [Kiyeri]

Postby Kiyeri on March 28th, 2013, 3:23 am

She was relieved and in awe. From their weapons, to the way all three Myrians carried themselves...they were like gods to her. And here she was, bare chested and still quite small for her age. She was just a few moons shy of her fifteenth birthday, yet she had no markings of status, nor a piercing to show that she had reached a certain destination in her development. Begrudgingly, she would admit that she was still considered a girl, but her pride was slightly bruised when the larger male referred to her as a..

"Child?"

Her features were pained, her mouth switched from a girlish pout to a bitter frown. Kiyeri went back to the times she was called a whelp or a brat and she soon snapped faster than a Myrian tiger during a hunt, "I am no-"

Yuk...Yuk..Yuk-Yuk..

No..

"KI-YE-RI?! KI-YE-RI?!"

YUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUK...

NO.

She blanched. If Kiyeri had called back to her family, that would only make things worse. "M-my clan!" No, there were children in that group, the youngest still growing in her oldest sister's belly. She shook her head vigorously when the larger male said her name. When Zuvan was sent away, she nearly screamed. Oh Gods...

She gained her composure when he said her name again and handed her a weapon. "We must go, Kiyeri. We have monsters to slay." She swallowed back her fears as she grabbed its handle, "Yes...we do..."

--
Miles away, the Flint Knife clan was panicked. "Where is she!?", cried one of her sisters. Tima hushed the woman, "SHHH! You hear that?"

YUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUK...

"Earth Demons!" Eiya spoke up next, "Do not panic. Tiye... E'luk... take the children and hide...the rest of us will find Kiyeri."

"She could be dead at this point, mother."

"No...I heard her. She's lost and frightened. We will find her."

Oh Goddess, she hoped so.

Kiyeri

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Soul's Hate [Kiyeri]

Postby Razkar on March 28th, 2013, 4:32 am

"I have a rendezvous with Death .

It may be he shall take my hand
And lead me into his dark land
And close my eyes and quench my breath-

And I to my pledged word am true,
I shall not fail that rendezvous."

----------

They ran on, perhaps towards their death. But fear did not stay their steps, nor their breath. The one, because she was a warrior born of warriors, back to the days when the Goddess-Queen was a mortal.

The other, because he hated what they approached far more than he would ever fear them.

Erama and Razkar leapt and ducked over trunks and vines, with a third figure gamely keeping pace with them. The crunch and crash of twigs, leaves and dirt was loud when their feet fell, but the sounds of shouting and the inane "yuk-yuk-yuk" was fast drowning everything out.

Both warriors knew what had to be done. They needed to buy time, both for their comrades and the civilians in the path of the Earth Demons. Though the term "civilian" was a relative one among Myrians: all of them knew how to fight, with hands, feet, teeth, steel and crafted wood or bone. They all knew to kill.

But Razkar knew what was coming. He knew what the Demons were capable of.

"Take those in your path," he half-shouted, half-rasped to Erama at full run, weapons swinging in his arms, "But our priority is to get to the travelers. Kiyeri?! Stay close to us! Do what you can, but stay alive."

Another line of trees was crashed through, and the shapes began to come into focus. Shadows and figures, bobbing in a furiously fast gait that stunned Razkar. They were almost as fast as Myrians, maybe faster. Perhaps because they were heedless of injury or exhaustion: all that mattered was getting close enough to rend and slaughter.

A dozen bobbing heads. Then another dozen. Another... another...

"We cannot win this."

"No."
Razkar answered stoically, as the first eyes turned to them, a brief moment of surprise flickering in the Demons' black, pupil-less eyes, then overcome by animal rage like an ocean smothering a candle. "But that no longer matters."

He raised his weapons as a trio of the creatures burst forth from the undergrowth, heading towards them. More followed. Bone and stone jutted from deformed limbs, muscles overgrown or wizened, often on the same creature. Teeth like shattered rocks filled gaping, screaming mouths, suddenly joined by Razkar's own roar.

"FOR MYRI!"

The last syllable continued into a wordless scream of fury and he swung his ax into the first creature's chest. Rough, dirty skin was sheared through by the blow delivered at a full run, and he felt stone grind against the blade as it ripped through muscle and organs.

The creature screamed in enraged agony, only for it to be cut off when Razkar's gladius flashed through the air, horizontal, and took the beast's head off.

Black, stinking blood arced through the air and across Razkar's face. He felt defiled as the wetness seeped into his mouth... and invigorated by it.

Not just for the Myri, the thought growled through his mind. In your name, mother. All of them. Every last one.

He was still screaming when the second came tearing at his side, swinging wildly with claws like a raptor's talons. He swayed to the side, letting the strike sail past him-

-then slashed upwards with his gladius, taking the thing's right arm off at the elbow, sending it cartwheeling through the humidity-

-a scream of anguish that nourished his soul, and his ax hacked diagonally down at its left knee, bringing it down with a crunch of shattered bone on the jungle floor-

-a final blow splits its face and skull in twain, and Razkar did not even deign to watch the body fall-

-for the third was upon him.

It shrieked with a voice that could never have come from anything naturally born. Erama felt her stomach churn at the sound of it, felt Caiyha herself wail in despair that such abominations had been spawned in her sacred jungle. Her gladii twirled and twisted and whatever they hit, died.

She spared a glance at Razkar, saw a creature swing at him with a rough club, hewn from a fallen tree limb by the look of it. He barely dodged it, and the Earth Demon followed it with a sloppy kick to his torso. Sloppy, but the sheer, unholy strength these monsters possessed made up for the lack of finesse.

Razkar grunted in pain but she knew he was not to be easily slain. Even as he doubled over he slashed down with his gladius, amputating half the thing's right foot with the strike. It screeched and staggered back, off-balance-

-as Razkar's ax opened up its stomach with a horizontal blow, spilling its guts-

-and with a wild cry he backhanded upwards, rising to his feet with the blow, splitting the Demon's chest open from breastbone to throat. It toppled back and he was already running-

"Keep moving!"

Razkar bellowed over the screech and roar of battle, heading for the sounds of Myrian shouting, perhaps already engaged with the rest of the horde. How many had they drawn away from them? Half their number? Less? More?

It did not matter. Simplicity had returned, and in a strange, selfish way, Razkar was glad for it.

Killer and killed. Soul and soul's hate. Him and his weapons.

More monsters boiled from the jungle, and Razkar threw himself at them.
Last edited by Razkar on March 29th, 2013, 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Soul's Hate [Kiyeri]

Postby Kiyeri on March 29th, 2013, 4:06 am

Her eyes widened at the sheer number of them all, and before she knew it, her legs began to pound forward, deeper into the jungle, as she did as she was told.

Survive. Yuk..yuk...yuk..yuk

"FOR MYRI!" Razkar's booming voice startled her, making her stop and look back. Which was a big mistake.

She was spotted, by one of those...yukmen. Cracked, jagged skin sprawled across the monster's skin, for some reason, it's head was slightly malformed. Its tongue was gagging and lolling about as it approached her, fast and hungry like a predator ensnaring prey. Kiyeri quickled gained the speed in her legs, creating a cat and mouse game with the monster. Her lungs were on fire and her feet felt scratched and bruised by the sharp rocks and sticks on the ground. She had hoped to outrun the beast, but she found a dead end in the presence of a rushing river, far too volatile and wide for her to swim across in time.

In the distance, she could hear the voice of the monster that pursued her.

Yukyukyukyukyuk

She had two choices. Die a coward or a fighter?

The creature slashed at her stomach, making her stumble backward, but she butted her head against its chest, causing it to step back. She took this chance to run back, but it was back to its feet and grabbing at her hair. Gripping the handle of the dagger given to her, she swung at its mouth and sliced across.

Its screams were like a uncoordinated song to ears. Noisy and howling, black blood seeped from its mouth, it was not dead, but only hurt and angry. She ran. She could still hear the sounds of cracking teeth and the wet sound of blood gushing. Erama and Razkar were capable warriors. Warriors that were able to take on as much as three of these beasts. How could she not kill one?

The demon was back at her tail, snapping its jaws at her legs, until its teeth met contact with her ankle. She screamed -- the pain was immense -- and fell over, freeing herself from its mouth, but not from its clutches. Kiyeri shuffled backwards, scrambling to get away from its leering presence. The cut she made on its face seemed to give it a permanent smile. It grabbed her leg.

"STAY AWAY FROM ME, ANIMAL!" She kicked its face with her free foot, causing it to howl. She was back on her feet, although awkwardly, desperately trying to build some distance. She was almost near Razkar and Erama, until she heard the sounds of her sisters calling her name.

"KIYERI!"

"NO, STAY BACK!"

She turned to finally stab the monster in its chest, it was a messy cut. Her face painted with its black essence, "STAY BACK!" She could see the silhouettes of her mother and sisters, their weapons and teeth bared. She hobbled, her ankle had slowed her down, but she refused to let herself appear weak.

Kiyeri

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Soul's Hate [Kiyeri]

Postby Razkar on March 29th, 2013, 5:23 am

Chaos was descending fast, but the lines between friend and foe had not yet blurred. Even as he ran and hacked and thrust and swung, Razkar could see flashes of the coming clash.

The bobbing, yuk-ing demons roiling across the undergrowth, making the ground shake with their numbers and speed. The line of Myrians approaching, weapons drawn, but... no... not the War Party. The travelers. A river was between them, easily waded across but that would slow them-

No. It will slow the Demons!

"At the river!" He shouted, swaying to his left to avoid a punch from one creature and impaling it on his gladius. "Hold them at the river!"

He ripped his gladius free, razor blade slashing through diseased kidney and guts as it did... except there were not. Just dead, black ropes of muscle that aped the organs of Myrians. Even the bowels of these monsters were cruel, evil mockeries of his people.

Razkar just snarled. The beast was dead. That was what mattered.

"FOR MYRI!"

His head snapped up and a new cry joined them. The traveler party this... Kiyeri belonged to was on the eastern bank of the river, the Yukmen horde, Erama and the girl were on the western, and the War Party... they were coming from the north. Perhaps on either side of the bank.

Flank attack! Perfect, it could-

"Girl?!"

His head snapped around wildly until he saw her, on her back and trying to call to some distant, unseen figure on the far bank. A twitching, bleeding creature lay half-under her, chest ripped open by his own dagger.

YUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUK

The babble of voices became a flood, an ocean, a tidal wave of noise that seemed to come from every corner. Erama and Razkar backed towards the downed Kiyeri, weapons outward, the stricken girl herself so close to the water's edge that spray kissed her fingers...

Dozens of them. Not tiring or pausing or stopping for a moment, screaming and howling and closing-

"LOOSE!"

The unmistakable massed twang and whoosh of bows released and arrows flying snapped through the air, and a dozen such projectiles slammed into the front rank of the Earth Demons. Kiyeri's kin had already formed up on the bank, no War Party, for sure, but Myrians all the same... and thus always ready for war.

"Fresh arrows!" A firm, gravelly female voice barked. "Faster, Myri-damn ye all!"

A handful of the creatures screeched and went down with crashed, but they were stampeded by those behind them. Razkar was amazed at just how callous they were, not even pausing to look down at their fallen brothers and sisters, let alone help them. The wounded who fell were trampled without care, the whole abominable mess bent on closing the gap.

"FOR MYRI!"

Razkar swung at the first one that approach, bursting forward with his right and hacking down at the creature's face. An arm jerked up to stop him-

-and the ax bit nearly through it, sticking on bone, the creature's other muddy arm swinging around in a haymaker-

-Razkar ducked under it and thrust forward with his gladius at the same time, two feet of steel ripping out the back of the Earth Demon and severing it's spine-

-it crashed back but the ax stayed stuck, pulling them both-

"Shyke!"

-and the fall of the dead monster ripped the ax from his hand and robbed him of a weapon. Another was right behind it, leaping over at Razkar, arms splayed-

-but the male stood his ground, planted his feet and gripped his gladius with both hands, blade perpendicular, waiting... waiting...

Now!

-thrusting upwards and impaling the airborne creature through the belly-

Mistake, boy!

-only for the impact of the leaping, dead body to knock him back next to Kiyeri, gladius wedged inside the corpse on top of him. He rolled it off with more curses taught to him by the more grizzled veterans of Taloba (which Kiyeri had never even heard before, nor believed to be anatomically possible), hauling himself up to one knee, gladius in his right hand-

-another shadow fell over him, one of many, Goddess, was there no end to them?!

And he slashed up with an enraged howl, blade trembling and purring in his hand, the Power of Bones he had worked on the blade coursing through him. His bloodlust invigorated him now more than blinded him, adrenaline numbing him to pain, even as the beast slashed down and ripped a ragged four-set of scratch marks down his chest.

Razkar just screamed back and opened up it's stomach with a horizontal blow, sending it staggering back, black snakes steaming from the hole-

-his backhanded blow ripping a huge, red, gushing jaw in it across it's chest.

"Time to go!" He said, getting to his feet with a grunt. "Get across the river! The War Party approaches!"
Last edited by Razkar on March 31st, 2013, 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Soul's Hate [Kiyeri]

Postby Kiyeri on March 31st, 2013, 12:26 am

A kill. She made a kill. She did it. She did it She did it.

For a moment, she shined in the glow of victory. Only for it to be overshadowed by the presence of her clan and the warriors who found her. Eiya's voice, as clear as the sky above, bellowed a command for more arrows. A fierce warrior of the past, Eiya may have been kind to her brethren, but in combat she held no mercy.

"Faster, Myri-damn ye all!"

Faster. Kiyeri strained to get up. Her breathing was heavy, but she finally stood. She had to get across the river...she had...

The beasts were a frenzy of bodies and crackled skin. They were ruthless and without honor as they scrambled to beat the other. All they desired was more death. More blood. And that was their downfall.

She was on her knees, dragging her body to the water's edge. Her ankle bled and screamed out in pain as she moved herself...closer and closer. She had to make it. She had to. One of her sisters caught her before she fell over, "Careful. You're wounded, let me take you across."

"No."

Kiyeri said nothing, only her thoughts marked her embarrassment. It wasn't the fact that she was helped. It was because she failed to warn them. Failed to be a good Myrian. "Altiya, tell mother that I fought good."

Her mind went back to the warriors. She realized that she did not learn their names. She owed them her life.

Kiyeri

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Next