Closed [Windmount Stables] Into the Saddle

(Bolivar) Fallon starts getting use to being in the saddle.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Windmount Stables] Into the Saddle

Postby Fallon on April 10th, 2013, 7:26 am

47th Spring 513AV
10th Bell

It was with great care and uncertainty that Fallon led Javil the Desertbred horse out from his stabling. She had kept him there since her arrival in Syliras, and with her position as a squire she kept him stabled and looked after whilst in the city. The season however had passed by quickly, and whilst there were occasions where she had ridden him, any serious training with him had yet to occur. And so, with the news that she did not have to go to the training grounds she took the opportunity. She was pleased to be free and in the outside air for a change, feeling the spring sun upon her flesh instead of the cramped stench of the city.

Fallon carefully lead the horse forward, a hand firmly on the reins, the other holding firmly onto the saddle and the rest of his tack. She could hear him snort loudly as he was taken out of his comfort zone with a rider he had not seen for a while.
"Come on, easy now," she spoke in low tones whilst leading Javil along.
Forming trust between the two was to be the first issue. The second would be trying to apply the tack to the creature. And then the third would be finding the confidence to climb up into the saddle again. Taking the creature off to one side she began tending to him. Firstly she took a careful walk around him, her eyes studying the form, her eyes looking down at the hooves and working their way up. A gentle hand stroked across the form, feeling the shudders from the creature as she tried to learn about him. She hoisted the saddle up onto her shoulder before gently tugging at the bridle that was fitted around his face. She watched the ears twitch and point forward, his hoof pawing at the ground as she looked carefully at the buckles and straps.

With gentle hands she stroked at its muzzle, before carefully going round to his side.
"Steady.... steady..." She spoke quietly as she rested the riding saddle onto his back. He side stepped away from her, his head turning round to face her. He neighed, a momentarily look of challenge in his features in which she returned without hesitation. Her eyebrow rose before going after him once more "Don't you start this sort of game now."
She grabbed the reins and pulled him back to her side, feeling the restraining nature of the horse before getting a firm hold on him and hissing "Now behave!"
Last edited by Fallon on May 31st, 2013, 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
FALLON
Fallon | Coffee Codes | Skill Images

Fallon is a Master of Intimidation, "At this level, a Master intimidator often unconsciously intimidates their target unless the intimidator monitors their stance, tone, and actions to prevent this. Master intimidators will nearly always have a reputation that precedes them unless they have taken special care to prevent it."
Fallon
The Red Wolf

Words: 2242110
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2013, 4:24 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Bolivar on April 10th, 2013, 7:54 am

Bolivar was avoiding it. The squire knew he was avoiding it. He knew if he was avoiding it he would know that the feeling of guilt would nag at him making his way around Syliras. "It's not that I dislike riding at all. It's just that I hate falling off the horse when I don't expect it." What was he thinking trying to argue with his Ser patron. An ultimatum was made and Bolivar quickly opted to simply learn how to ride better rather then be isolated in the horse stables for a whole week. "I wonder if he truly meant it that I would spend a month in the pens if I didn't drastically improve before the end of the season."

Looking at the creature he was avoiding Bolivar stood face to face with the murderous mountain pony he called Barrel. The animal looked back at Bolivar with lazy eyes and a mocking aura around him. "Look. I'm sorry your the only one I trust but can't we get along?" Prepping himself Bolivar grabbed a small chair as he propped himself into the seat. "Alright...forward?" Willing the small pony forth Bolivar started forth with Barrel.

...After a small session on how to lead the horse around, Bolivar was well under his way! Already he was making good time trying his hardest to ignore the pain from bouncing around the saddle. Holding on for dear life the squire was well past the walls until it finally listened to Bolivar's slight tugging to stop. "I know I have to be firm with you but I don't want to get in your bad graces dear Barrel."

Choosing that time to ruffle and shake his head like all horses do Bolivar gave a slight look at the tiny pony before jabbing his spur lightly. Though moving in a somewhat straight direction Bolivar knew he would have to figure out how to lead the horse around. Outside of the castle walls was not part of Bolivar's plan as he veered left and right with the accursed beast. "The sky is so big. It looks like it will fall on you at any time..." Shaking his head Bolivar tried to push away the old Irurian superstition as he tugged hesitantly at the small mountain pony to go back. More like a bad joke in this day and age.
Bold is Speech
Italics is Thought

Got some Christmas plans. So going to be busy until around after the holidays.
Bolivar
Just go with it

Words: 299487
Joined roleplay: March 26th, 2011, 2:06 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Plotnotes
Medals: 1

Postby Fallon on April 11th, 2013, 1:25 pm

It was a stare down, animal verses human. Mount verses Rider. Carefully Fallon pulled the buckles round the saddle, setting it into place whilst her eyes darted from her hands and to the eyes. Her brow creased as she made certain it was secure, before checking the reins once more. She gave it a tug, Javil gave a glare, before his head turned away as if insulted. The girl sighed before giving a shrug,
“Well… you’re kitted up now, so let’s give it a go,” She took a firm hold on the reins before shakily climbing up into the saddle. She drew in a deep breath as she made herself comfortable, her back going straight, her heels resting either side of the creature. Her eyes widened slightly as she made herself aware of the extra height, her grip growing steadily tighter. Gently she pulled the horse round, a brief element of fear holding onto her as the hooves shuffled.
Careful… careful…

His head shook as she made it walk forward and around the yard, its tail swishing as it trotted about. She looked about from her new high point, watching the few others work about the stables along with the other rider that was trying to guide about the horse he was on. Or at least she thought it was a horse, she was a too much of a distance to really determine what it was or the rider. She clipped her heels against the side of the creature once more, spurring it forward for a closer view of the struggling man. Hooves rung against the ground, and a bout of confidence bloomed from within. She was unconfident only chimes ago, but now she squire had made herself certain on her position. She gave a smile as Javil continued on his way and behaved her commands. How long that would last however had yet to be determined. She gave a quick wave to the man on the horse, braving only using one hand on the reins.
“How goes it?” she asked with a smile, whether or not he would respond was a mystery though. Not that it mattered too much; she was just making polite conversation and greetings at the moment.
FALLON

Fallon is a Master of Intimidation, "At this level, a Master intimidator often unconsciously intimidates their target unless the intimidator monitors their stance, tone, and actions to prevent this. Master intimidators will nearly always have a reputation that precedes them unless they have taken special care to prevent it."
Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Bolivar on April 12th, 2013, 9:46 am

Left,right, whichever way Barrel well... barreled along the path getting distracted by a outgrowth of grass along the path. Veering right without any indication Bolivar was pulled to along as he merely grasped on whatever he had on hand for dear life. Seeing the mountain pony happily graze ignoring that he had Bolivar on his back the mixed blood did not share the same carefree emotions as his mount. In everything he did Bolivar was committed if not mildly manic in his wanting to learn.

Damned horse. Why must we rely on things that have a mind of it's own? Worst all why would we trust something with a mind of their own between our two legs? The gait was quickened and the squire clutched protectively between his legs before standing on the stirrups to give him some breathing space. "Okay! A canter is too much! Slow it down to a walk!" Surprisingly enough Barrel did not change his pace to the squire's words. Only when Bolivar pulled back on the leading rope did Barrel seemed to understand.

A sigh of relief came from Bolivar as he fell forward across the horse's neck. "Lovely. This pace will do for now." Gingerly caressing his... Bolivar settled with his position as if prone riding on the walking horse. Going on for a full moment Bolivar looked up to see another that was also apparently going for a ride. Giving a cross face Bolivar answered back slowly trying to sit up on his saddle. "Hail fellow horse... rider. Squire Bolivar of the night watch. Squire of Ser Bradshaw Therdon, my patron." Giving the new rider the benefit of the doubt Bolivar tried to mimic the one armed wave before collapsing into a full on hug on Barrel. Of course Barrel chose that moment to neigh threateningly. Looking up at the onlooker Bolivar's lips made a tight line in embarrassment. If she wasn't mocking me before she probably will now. "Absolutely terrible. You?"
Last edited by Bolivar on April 14th, 2013, 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bold is Speech
Italics is Thought

Bolivar
Just go with it

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Fallon on April 13th, 2013, 7:44 pm

Fallon watched him shakily give a wave, an attempt to give himself a bout of confidence, before he snapped back to the horse. She gave a blink, watching him struggle with the horse, and remembering the words that he said. She stilled Javil with a gentle and hesitant tug; she heard the snort and the glare coming up from the corner of his eye. She went rigid for a moment, as if expecting the creature to suddenly rear or play up.
“Fine, fine,” she felt herself straighten and her hold on the reins tighten “I think.”

Hesitation rung in her voice as she said that, her mind set on the suspicion that something was about to happen. Her eyes glanced away from the creature and to Bolivar once more as he clung to the horse.
“A Squire you said?” she questioned before giving a firm nod “I am too. Squire Fallon, the second of Sera Natasha Druva. Small world hmm?”
Her last statement was more rhetorical if anything, a simple muse of the present. Fallon adjusted herself in the saddle ensuring that she was securely in place and hesitantly patting the side of its neck. She focused her attention on the horse and dug her heels into its side, spurring it on once more. It took a gentle walk forward, hooves clacking on the floor as she guided it on. Or tried to. It only went a few feet before stepping dead in its tracks as if contemplating something. She gave a heavy sigh, her shoulders sinking as she tried to learn the way of this horse. It was indeed the start of a long and gruelling task. Sheepishly she turned her head to the squire and asked in a hushed tone “Have you uh… ridden a lot? Or before at least?”
She hoped the man had, if anything to seek some possible snippets of guidance. Her patron after all was busy with the other squire today so she had little choice but to obtain advice from elsewhere.
FALLON

Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Bolivar on April 14th, 2013, 8:25 am

Well at least someone else was having a fine day right? Gotta put things in perspective. "Ahh that's grand to hear. I think?" Knowing the highly competitive environment Syliras had Bolivar has yet met a squire that he didn't argue or fight with. Perhaps it was just his luck? Or maybe his way of words. "Forgive my hesitation just idle musing. Stopped me." Watching Fallon's form as she led her horse Bolivar smirked at the question.

This Fallon was joking right? Here he was not even in proper position and she asks...oh. Laughing slightly Bolivar shook his head shrugging off the aggression he normally had. After all he was not in his element. "I do not make it a habit to ride. Before I have had a horse lead me around on my trip to Sultros but not much else." Finding his balance Bolivar took an upright position on Barrel once more. "Learning to ride I think is one of the ways the knights torture the squires in this city don't you? Blasted things have a mind of their own."

Adjusting his saddle Bolivar grimaced noticing that how loose the leather was on his steed. "One moment please. This will just take but a moment of our time." Crossing over and dropping down to readjust his saddle Bolivar gave a reassuring nod to Fallon before attending to his horse. "So what are you in for? I doubt that you'd get to know me after what I share with you but we'll see how this turns out yes? What kind of knight do you plan on becoming?"
Last edited by Bolivar on April 18th, 2013, 7:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bold is Speech
Italics is Thought

Bolivar
Just go with it

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Fallon on April 18th, 2013, 7:56 am

She watched the smirk form on his face, almost as if briefly laughing at her misfortune, before he laughed. It seemed he too had little practice in riding a horse, and so Fallon was left stumped in what to do next. She thought for a moment about simply dismounting the mighty creature, before the nagging thoughts simply told her to stay put. She had to get through this rough patch, in doing so she would get closer to being a knight. She in turn gave a laugh, “Definitely have a mind of their own. I keep thinking this one is going to bolt.”
She gave Javil a firm pat on the neck, in which a low grunt escaped. She did not know if to see it as a threat or simply the horse responding in agreement, either way it left her wondering.

She gave a gentle nod to Bolivar and watched him adjust the saddle. He too seemed to be a beginner like her. He too was still learning the ropes and the way towards being a knight. They were both at the beginning of their journey. Fallon’s lips pursed with thought.
“You never know,” Fallon spoke in a musing tone “We might both be unlucky sods tasked with this punishment once more.”
She cocked an eyebrow, followed by a definite smirk upon her face “Got to say, you make it sound like a prison. Guess it is one in a sense, once you’re in you can’t leave really. Though on the topic of what kind of knight… well a knightly one,” She gave a shrug, “Where ever they need me I will go, be it mounted, patrolling or simply keeping the peace. Rather be out there though. Feels less… restrictive. What about you if you don’t mind me asking?”
FALLON

Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Bolivar on April 19th, 2013, 7:09 am

Chuckling slightly at the conspiring remark Bolivar tightened his harness on the mountain pony before answering. "Don't misunderstand. I love what they are trying to do. But horse riding is not exactly a specialty of mine. I thought it enough to offer myself into the knight's services but this isn't what I had in mind." Grimacing slightly Bolivar noticed Barrel's sharp intake of breathe as he tried to tighten. "See? Right there these horses can be such a bother."

Jabbing slightly at the horses's with his finger the horse gave up on the ploy as he grudgingly let Bolivar tighten the harness just right. "Right then. That will do." Taking a few hesitant attempts at mounting the beast Bolivar's lip curled up in distain as he gave up on showing a bit of finesse. Hopping atop the beast with a yell Barrel didn't seem too happy as Bolivar pulled on the reins trying to keep his balance.

"Whew... I don't know how you humans do it so easily. A Knightly knight?" Giving a skeptical look Bolivar quietly wondered why the sudden deflection. Was that normal or was it just something else that Bolivar didn't quite understand? "I find having a specific goal in mind helps deal with the now. Though I'm not sure what you mean by out there." Following Fallon's gaze Bolivar could not quite see what Fallon was alluding to. Was there something there that he missed? "What kind I would like? That's simple."

Readjusting his position Bolivar kept the horse at a slight canter to match Fallon's horse. Orders to move faster and slower were starting to confuse the horse as Bolivar settled for a going slightly faster and around the mount and it's partner. Taking every scenic detour he could direct Barrel along. "Syliras isn't know for having a very accepting view when it comes to magic." Slowing the horse nearly to a stop Bolivar spread his arms wide to describe the scene he had in his head.

"It's completely understandable people who have power and are not regulated are a danger to themselves and everyone around them. That has to change. I want to be the city's arsenal mage. To right the wrongs those misguided do and to call them to heel." Showing little shame for the last sentence Bolivar's demeanor showed he was completely serious with his speech. "Then eventually with some patience and planning there would be no need for all this discrimination. Djed is a powerful tool when used correctly. Why deny those that are willing to make a difference for the betterment of all?"
Bold is Speech
Italics is Thought

Bolivar
Just go with it

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Fallon on April 19th, 2013, 8:48 pm

Fallon listened. And through listening she learned. She watched Bolivar lead his horse to match the gentle pace she was going at with Javil. She followed after him, adjusting herself in the saddle, her knees raising slightly, her grip changing. She gave a gentle tug of the reigns here and there, serving as a gentle reminder that she was in control of the powerful creature – though only just. She looked upon the world about them, and tried her best to keep control of the horse. On occasion he seemed to stray to the left slightly, snorting at the ground with curiosity. She kept pace where she could, using on occasion her weight to make the horse go on, and a few stern words to make him move.

And then the squire said something interesting.

“A mage?” she looked surprised almost for a moment, before a look of fascination filled her face “That’s interesting.”
She gave a smile as she pulled at the reigns of the horse. He slowed down to a walk, the clack of hooves against the earth ringing out. She gave a nod “It’s a nice outlook to have. Be good if more people thought like you, would create a lot less in terms of friction between them. So much could be achieved.”
So he’s a mage? Lucky you. Does that mean you’re going to talk about yourself? No, don’t be silly. You can’t.
Her words however rung true. It was a dream, it was indeed something that amazed her in a sense. She admired the courage that this man had and carried without hesitation, that the risks he was willing to make were for the betterment of his kind, their kind. She looked upon his back, wishing that she could carry the same weight that he managed to place upon himself.
“It will be hard work though,” she finally let herself admit “And you’re right about Syliras and its thoughts on the subject. Perhaps one day they’ll look to you and see what you mean,” she swallowed quietly “Does that mean you practice magic? I mean… you make it sound like you do? Do you?”
She resisted asking more questions, biting her tongue before curiosity got the better of her. She did not want to seem too curious after all, “Still, perhaps, one day it will be true and you’ll become a powerful leader of them. Show them who’s boss and all.”
FALLON

Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Bolivar on April 20th, 2013, 6:12 am

An actual conversation? This was a rare day indeed. Drawing on the reins Bolivar pushed Barrel to forward before going to the side of the road. Readjusting himself before shrugging Bolivar immediately clammed up hearing not cold skepticism but a withdrawn voice. At least it was not outright hatred. The squire hated this as a conversation starter but he knew it would do no good hiding it. For now he had to thread carefully. It was perhaps the chance to make a good impression rather then a quick dismissal that he was scared of the most in this given situation.

"You are not put off by such notions?" Not exactly what Bolivar had in mind but the squire knew how his emotions took hold at times. Another serious face as Bolivar scrutinized Fallon closely once again. Was she just leading me along like before? Another joke that once again I unwitting fell into? Paranoia on both sides was a common trait but it wasn't usually shared with Bolivar. However this was one of the few instances where he met someone in the service of the knights who had a different opinion from the norm. If this was actually real Bolivar could hardly believe it himself.

Do I practice?
"Does a duck take to water well?" Opening his palm slightly Bolivar showed Fallon the more obvious marks of a mage. "Every reinmancer has markings like these in his or her hands. Just something to look for every time you meet someone new." Consciously choosing for reinmancy Bolivar knew how easy it was to distinguish his kind with those scars. It served as a reminder for his life's goal.

Giving a incredulous look Bolivar regarded Fallon with the usual withdrawn attitude he tried to regularly show. The mage squire still thought that he was still being misunderstood. "It's not about showing who is boss. It's about being united. Sultros is united in a way yet divided still. You don't know how hopeful I was when I first saw Syliras. Views on magic and minor issues are all that plague the city in my eyes."

Bolivar knew he there were more issues but he wanted to focus only on that right now. Bolivar knew to make a difference he would have to go slowly in convincing others this is the right path. First with himself, then his friends, then his neighbors, community and eventually the whole city. "What do you think of all this?" Bolivar spurred on Barrel slightly before looking back finally coming off with his own jibe. "Or do you just want to continue talking to me because you think me attractive?" Pushing Barrel to a small cantar Bolivar made some headway along their path leading the pair farther and farther away.
Last edited by Bolivar on April 22nd, 2013, 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bold is Speech
Italics is Thought

Bolivar
Just go with it

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Next