Kenash's Comments Questions & Suggestions Thread

Please feel free to pop in and make suggestions or ask questions. Comments are always welcome.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This forum is Kenash's development forum. Please feel free to post your ideas and suggestions as well as join in any discussions that are currently ongoing.

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Rorugir on June 24th, 2013, 3:36 pm

Hey there guys! Let me just say, this place is looking absolutely awesome and I can't wait to thread here once it's actually up and running. Because I think Kenash absolutely rocks and would love to contribute here, here is a couple of questions to help me understand Kenash better/flesh out the lore...

1. Religion. I know it was said somewhere that you wanted to keep religion out of the conflict of Kenash, but still, there must be some degree of religion among the families. I know the Pailles worship Zulrav, but what about the other families? What about the slaves? Are there any specific gods worshiped city-wide, by most people? I can see Bala being prominent here.

On a related note, are there any temples here? Or is that up for the players to decide?

2. Festivals. What are some of the commonly celebrated festivals/holidays in Kenash, and how are they celebrated? I'd expect they'd be a bit on the rowdy side, as well as plentiful.

3. Branding. In the Codex, it was mentioned branding is handled by a something called a Brander. What is that? I assume it is someone who brands slaves, but do they work for the families, then? Could there also be branders who work in secret, perhaps removing brands for slaves trying to escape?

4. Relations. Most of this has already been covered, so I won't make the broad question of wondering how Kenash is with everyone else. Instead, though, I must ask; what are the relations between Kenash and the Svefra? Due to the presence of the Draer family, I assume it is better than the relationship between the Svefra and most land cities...but I might be wrong.

5. Location of Plantations. This is more of a suggestion than a question, but I would really appreciate if this map could be updated to show exactly where the twelve familes are in relation to one another. You can infer most of them by reading the family page of the Codex, but it would still be interesting to know who is neighbors with who.

That's enough from me! Sorry if I asked anything that's already been asked, I'm just excited to see this city fleshed out. Expect some locations and critters and a new PC from my forthwith. :D Oh, and Goss, I think that's a wonderful idea! Go for it.

Long live Kenash!
This is Rorugir's speech when he speaks in Common...
...And this is Rorugir's speech when he speaks in Isur.
Rorugir
Lost child of Uluth.

Words: 120916
Joined roleplay: September 25th, 2011, 1:02 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Banickle on June 24th, 2013, 5:33 pm

Once again, some great topics for discussion!

• RELIGION: I can certainly see there being some sort of formal worship and a place or two to do said worship, but it's probably specific to either the family or individual, not an overall "this is what the population of Kenash believes" or "this is how they practice" sort of thing. To be honest, I don't see there being a lot of focus on this, unless it suddenly becomes fashionable. That said, as for the particular gods, I would imagine Bala (harvest) and Xyna (trade) would hold a special place, but I could also see someone praying to Ovek (Gambling) or Sivah (Excess).
  • FESTIVALS: You better believe there will be parties and fairs, balls and festivals a plenty! I'm currently working on an Askara ball called The Askarade. It will be similar to a masquerade here in our world, but with several twists and turns, as only an Askara related event would have.
  • BRANDING: I haven't even mentioned this to Gossamer yet, but I would love to have a central location where all of the branding takes place. It would be called The Brand Ole Opera - once called The Grand Old Opera - and it would basically be an abandoned performance hall that was reestablished as a processing plant for new slaves. The slaves would be brought in for a thorough inspection, a rigorous cleansing, and, once signed off, a branding. However, part of the process would be a trip to the local auction, since a slave will not initially know who they belong to. Oh, and, why would the place maintain Opera as part of its name? Simple. Who doesn't love the sound of a hundred slaves all moaning and crying out in unison as they are handled and marked? Just listen to them sing!
  • RELATIONS: As previously mentioned, if a certain race is already embraced by the community, they are most likely welcome. Granted, in time, rivalries will take shape - if they haven't already - and lines will be drawn, but that will have to be played out in-game. That's part of the excitement of crafting up a new city!
  • LOCATIONS: I believe Gossamer has that exact intention. Either she or I will take that map and divide it up, including plantations, freeborn owned land, open plots, etc., etc., etc.!

Okay. Those are my two mizas. Anyone else have any opinions, ideas, wants, needs or desires? Bring them on!

Long live Kenash!
Banickle
Banickle
Shall I slay you a tune?

Words: 138636
Joined roleplay: April 23rd, 2013, 12:36 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Jael Sitai on June 27th, 2013, 1:21 am

I have a very quick question!

My business plan has been approved by Gillar. Can I write it up and slap the location thread here, and would it be possible to get a PS title for it? Let me know if I'm in the wrong place and I'll crawl back into my hole...

Thanks! Excited to finally be working and participating in Kenash. This city is going to be brilliant.
Jael Sitai
Tortured by sensation.

Words: 3500
Joined roleplay: May 22nd, 2013, 8:30 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Banickle on June 27th, 2013, 1:47 am

Sure. Plop it down in here and we can make it look pretty before we move it over to the main Kenash thread. Oh, and...Congrats!

Happy writing,
Banickle
Banickle
Shall I slay you a tune?

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Jael Sitai on June 27th, 2013, 4:07 am

Hello all! I finished the write-up of my PC business. I think it's all ready to go, but feedback and tips would as always be brilliant. A link to his Gillar-approved business plan is here. Thank you, happy reading!

Sitai's Natural Highs

Located directly off the Dry Island Plaza in the center of Kenash, Sitai's Natural Highs is extremely easy to pass over for the unawares and unprepared. On the second floor of the shops of the area, one has to traverse through an arch tucked away into the corner of the plaza before even arriving in the courtyard of the hemp shop. Fortunately, however, ornate and gilded signs point the way through the arch to "Sitai's Natural Highs". Marble stairs, a health hazard for the rained-on and the tripping, are lined with hemp flowers and other exotic swamp plants in clay pots, and the entire courtyard is kept scrubbed clean by Sitai slaves. Once up the stairs, the customer is brought to saloon-style doors where, upon entering, their senses are assaulted.

Overpowering is the strong and musty scent of cannabis, for that this the trade of this shop. Looking around the luscious room, which is small but well-decorated with fine woods and brocades, the goods and items to be sold folded neatly into sections around the room, arranged on smooth and polished cupboards.

To the direct left of the customer's sightline once entered are all the fresh and potent ingredients of the drug: cannabis to be smoked, brewed, consumed. In all different ways cannabis is presented here, and simple questions to the owner will result in him walking you through the best way to consume cannabis for you. To the right, however, are the hemp products: perhaps not the most beautiful of clothing, but durable and practical, perfect for slaves. Jael Sitai, the owner of Sitai's Natural Highs, often deals with bulk-orders for slave clothing. The luxury of his line of work comes immediately from the rich and lazy partaking in his drugs.

In the center of the room Jael, the owner's, can be found often behind his the desk where he takes money, or else by knocking on the simple door behind the desk and chair. There lies a "NO ENTRY" sign on the door, and none but the most trusted of Jael's friends and family are brought into the philtering lab that lies behind it. Here is where Jael directly prepares the cannabis teas, smoke mixes and oils that he sells in the shop, and there are rumours he is trying to make something new...

Prices
Sitai's Natural Highs sells a wide variety of hemp and hemp derived products.

Pure Hemp
Cannabis Leaves (for smoking) * 1gm / pound
Dried Cannabis Leaves (to be brewed for teas) ** 5 sm / pound
THC Essential Oils *** 6gm / gallon

* Cannabis leaves, when smoked, provide a mild-moderate high and pleasant relaxation. However, please be aware that it has the ability to release disturbing visions and thought processes in some individuals.
** When brewed as a tea, cannabis acts as a muscle relaxant, and provides a mild-moderate high if ingested strongly enough.
*** THC, an essential component of cannabis, is provided here in oils, which can be sniffed, added to food and drink, or added to hot baths. This may provide very little effect save relaxation.

Recreational Drug Use Instruments
Smoking Pipe 2gm
Bong for Cannabis 4gm

Hemp Products
Hemp blouse 16sm
Hemp breeches 16sm
Hemp chemise 2sm
Hemp dress 16sm
Hemp paper 4sm
Hemp rope, 50ft 1gm
Hemp scarf 2sm
Hemp shirt 2sm
Hemp skirt 8sm
Hemp tunic 10sm

Owner
Name: Jael Sitai
DoB: 1st Summer, 485AV
PoB: Sitai Plantation, Kenash
Title: Second son of the Sitai Family, owner of Sitai's Natural Highs, philterer, shopfront worker

Jael Sitai has forever been associated with anything that can increase the senses. From a young age, he seemed to dabble in whatever it was that might bring him pleasure, often to the displeasure of the family Head, his father. It was not, however, until he started dabbling in drugs that his seemingly wild ways could be tamed. His knowledge of the varied effects and ways of consumption of marijuana is a personal passion of his, and he will talk with ease to any curious, though he has little patience for time wasters, and will seem incredibly bored.

Handsome, well-spoken and by all accounts outwardly charming, Jael handles all the business of the shopfront himself, as well as working in the philtering lab to prepare the oils and smoke brews he sells. It is also rumoured he is working on something much, much stronger back there.

If you would like to buy from Sitai's Natural Highs, please PM Jael and a sale can be arranged, either in-thread or OOC.

* Location Credit goes to Jael Sitai. This is a PC business.
Jael Sitai
Tortured by sensation.

Words: 3500
Joined roleplay: May 22nd, 2013, 8:30 pm
Character sheet

Postby Banickle on June 27th, 2013, 4:00 pm

Just a quick note to all potential players: If you made a CS or make a CS in the near future, please send me a link so I can subscribe to it. I would like to be able to keep an eye on things before Kenash opens and it's sometimes hard to keep track of who has a CS and who does not. Plus, I can start to review them and see if everything is in order.

SUBMITTED (WIP) CSs:
  • Coralin
  • Jack
  • Spoons
  • Adrienna
  • Jael
  • Kryos
  • Katherine
  • Lilou
  • Jaadis
  • Ophelia
  • Alexandre
  • Keba
  • J'aqil
Thank you,
Banickle
Last edited by Banickle on July 5th, 2013, 6:43 am, edited 5 times in total.
Banickle
Shall I slay you a tune?

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Kryos Coal on June 27th, 2013, 6:12 pm

I am curious about Magic use in Kenash, and more specifically, magic use with slaves.

I could see various disciplines being outlawed for use by slaves, but I was curious if this would be a wide blanket, like no slave can use magic, or more flexible depending on someone's gifts.

As I see it it would seem that things like crafting using Earth Reimancy or Magecrafting could prove extremely useful for slave owners, or even training a personal slave in the use of auristics or shielding, but I was just curious as to thoughts on the matter.
Kryos Coal
I am the hammer, the chisel, the tool.

Words: 33756
Joined roleplay: May 22nd, 2013, 7:05 pm
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Banickle on June 27th, 2013, 6:35 pm

Hmm. Great question, Coal, and great points made. I would tend to think that slaves, for the most part, will NOT be allowed to practice magic. It gives them too much power. That said, I love the idea of forcing them to use it to better a plantation's crops or goods or services. I shall ponder this a bit more, however, I'm sure Gossamer will have a thing or two to say about this, which I will most certainly support, especially since magic is not one of my strengths.

Happy writing,
Banickle
Banickle
Shall I slay you a tune?

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Jaadis Sitai on July 8th, 2013, 2:33 am

BOOM! Location coming at ya!

I figured even Kenash would have a hospital, and, noting the mention of Opal Order healers in the Codex, I was inspired to make this location/NPCs. If anything needs to be changed, I will be more than happy to accommodate!

Natia’s Clinic

Natia’s Clinic is located in one of the oldest buildings on Dry Island Plaza, but this building was only recently renovated to accommodate the clinic. As such, the floors creak, there are cracks in the walls, and the basement constantly floods - and yet, it is one of the few actual safe havens in the city of Kenash proper. Though lawlessness and violence rule the streets around it, Natia’s Clinic is the sole domain of the Opal Order healer who calls it home, and thus it is one of the few places inside the city walls where peace and safety can still be found.

The clinic itself begins with a simple hardwood door inscribed with the winged snake of Rak’keli. This opens up to a narrow (and flaking) hallway that leads to a waiting room in turn. Either Natia or her assistant Jarran will be sitting behind the reception desk that dominates the far side of the room, and depending on the severity of the injury, one of two things will happen to visitors; if the visitor is seriously injured and requires immediate medical attention, they will be ushered into a room behind the reception desk specially stocked just for such situations; or, If the injury is not life-threatening, then the visitor will be asked to take a seat (of which there are many in the room), and Natia will see them in one of the private rooms to the left or right of the waiting room when she is available to do so. The upstairs, to which there is a staircase next to the emergency room, is not currently used except as storage and Natia’s personal quarters.

Medical care is free. Natia’s Clinic makes its money through donations and the benefaction of several of the plantation families, with the Loraks being foremost among them. It was the Loraks who provided the boon necessary to make Natia a freeborn and it is they who provide the medicinal supplies. In return, Natia has supplied training and medical knowledge to several of the Lorak family, like Jarran. Besides this mutualistic symbiosis with the Lorak family, however, Natia chooses not to involve herself in Kenash politics, preferring to attend to her patients instead.

The clinic holds no true power within the city, and any potential patients must come of their own volition. Slaves are not often spotted here due to that reason - however, due to the rough-and-tumble nature of Kenash, freeborn and plantation members more than make up for it.

Natia
ImageName: Natia Su’vali
Race: Konti
DoB: Fall 43rd, 359 A.V.
PoB: Mura
Title: Opal Order Healer
Skills: Medicine 91, Herbalism 75, Philtering 53, Leadership 47, Weapon (Suvai) 23
Gnosis: Rak’keli - 3
Additional Info: Natia is not a native of Kenash. She was born far from here, on that white isle that her sisters, the Konti, call home. From a young age, Natia showed the signs of a healer, and it was no surprise when she joined the Opal Order. It was a surprise, however, when she chose Kenash as the place she would administer her healing arts. She worked as a personal physician to several of the families until she built up enough money and reputation to purchase this humble abode, and she has been healing all of Kenash’s woes ever sense. Peaceable and non-confrontational like most of her kind, she nonetheless has a backbone of steel that meshes well with Kenash. Though she tries to stay out of the Kenash politics due to the tenets of Rak’keli, at times she can’t help but feel it is those politics that are putting patients in her clinic, and that, combined with the slave situation, doesn't sit well with her.

Jarran
ImageName: Jarran Lorak
Race: Human, Vantha
DoB: Spring 22nd, 494 A.V.
PoB: Kenash
Title: Medical Assistant
Skills: Medicine 43, Herbalism 36, Philtering 27, Agriculture 22
Gnosis: None (yet)
Additional Info: Jarran can only be spotted in the clinic every other day, as during the others he works at another, family-owned, business - for he is a scion of the Lorak family, one of the legacy plantations. However, even though he doesn't work at the clinic often, without him it is likely this place would even exist. Jarran was one of Natia’s first proteges in the city, and it was he who pushed his family into financing such an endeavor. However, despite all that he’s accomplished, Jarran clearly doesn't let it go to his head - he is never anything but polite and perhaps even somewhat diffident. He's devoted to helping out Natia in any way he can. Sometimes, he almost seems more dedicated to her than to his family...

Sidenote: I did actually try to create a title for the location in true Gossamer style, I even downloaded the font and everything...it didn't end well, however. Thus my poor replacement. :P
Credit to Banickle for creating the Sitai insignia (since I'm going to use it often)!
Jaadis Sitai
From on a throne of roses

Words: 17477
Joined roleplay: June 24th, 2013, 10:20 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Banickle on July 19th, 2013, 1:42 pm

ATTENTION KENASHERNS!

It has come to the Magistrate's attention that many of the denizens of Kenash have been seen lollygagging around with their Character Sheets and Business Plans. This is not acceptable. Not acceptable at all.

Therefore, the Magistrate has decreed that all sheets and plans must be finalized by the 84th day of Summer. Failure to submit either of or both of these documents in full will result in serious repercussions.

For example, if you are looking to be a dynasty member, you must pull your weight and get your business up and running. Failure to do so will lead to immediate outcast status. Would you rather be...

Image Image
...snug as a bug in a rug or weeping in your cream of wheat?

I believe the choice is clear. So get your plans in now and finish off those sheets today or suffer the wrath of the Magistrate!

Oh, and as for all you freeborns, slaves, and rujaro, you just need to focus on getting your sheets submitted. In the eyes of the Magistrate, most of you are already considered outcasts. You can't get much lower than you already are...unless you're six feet under.

With warmest regards, for now,
Banickle the Maniacal Manickle

Secret :
Okay peeps, in all seriousness, we have just about 6 weeks left to get everything in order. Most of you have actually been doing a fantastic job with your characters and - if you're a dynasty brat - their businesses! However, we need to start wrapping things up sooner rather than later. So, if possible, please have everything ready to go by August 24th. This will give the moderators a week to work out any last minute details before our Grand Opening on September 1st. As always, if you have any questions or concerns, please grab me in chat or private message me. I've worked with a few of you already, but I'm more than willing to help you all.

Long Live Kenash!
Nick
Banickle
Shall I slay you a tune?

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

PreviousNext