Kenash's Comments Questions & Suggestions Thread

Please feel free to pop in and make suggestions or ask questions. Comments are always welcome.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This forum is Kenash's development forum. Please feel free to post your ideas and suggestions as well as join in any discussions that are currently ongoing.

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Banickle on May 14th, 2013, 2:08 am

ImageSilver Bottom Bacco
Type: Seed-Based; Non-Flowering
Stature: Can grow to be 3 to 4 feet tall.
Color: A vibrant green stem with a speckled green-gold leaf on the outside and a silvery-white underside.
Seasonality: Seeds can be started toward the end of Winter, in a greenhouse setting, and then planted in early Spring. A crop should never be started later than the last few days of Summer.
Uses: Culinary; Medicinal; Recreational
Additional Information: Silver Bottom Bacco is considered to be the lowest grade of tobacco in Kenash and, therefore, usually fetches a modest price. It can be eaten raw, but is more often used in soups and stews. It is believed that the silver underside, when rubbed directly on the skin, can cure a variety of minor aches and pains. However, it is primarily enjoyed by being dried and then smoked within a pipe. It gives off a delightful, albeit, slightly metallic scent, and casts a silver-hued smoke.
Value: 5 sm/lb
Last edited by Banickle on May 14th, 2013, 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Banickle
Shall I slay you a tune?

Words: 138636
Joined roleplay: April 23rd, 2013, 12:36 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Banickle on May 14th, 2013, 2:40 am

ImageGold Top Tobbie
Stature: Can grow to be 2 to 3 feet tall.
Color: A dark green stem with a bright gold leaf.
Seasonality: Seeds can be started toward the middle of Winter, in a greenhouse setting, and then planted in early Spring. A crop should never be started later than the first few days of Summer.
Uses: Culinary; Recreational
Additional Information: Gold Top Tobbie is considered to be a middle grade tobacco amongst the farmers of Kenash. Because of its rich, buttery texture, it tends to find its way into many a morning or mid-day meal. When pressed, the juices are said to be similar to that of a mango. However, it is primarily enjoyed by being dried and then smoked within a pipe. It gives off a gentle, citrusy scent, and casts a golden-hued smoke. It should be noted, when ground, it makes an excellent snuff, in particular, for those who are looking to enjoy a far milder, smoke-free experience.
Value: 7 sm/lb
Banickle
Shall I slay you a tune?

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Banickle on May 14th, 2013, 3:19 am

ImageKenash Cream
Stature: Can grow to be 4 to 5 feet tall.
Color: A light green stem with a dark green leaf.
Seasonality: Seeds can be started toward the middle of Winter, in a greenhouse setting, and then planted in early Spring. A crop should never be started later than the last few days of Spring.
Uses: Recreational
Additional Information: Kenash Cream is considered to be a high grade tobacco, if not, the highest grade grown across the land. The phrase 'cream of the crop' originated with the discovery of this fine specimen. It is primarily enjoyed by being dried and then smoked within a pipe; however, a far more portable, parchment-wrapped variety has been produced as well. It gives off a mild to strong, leathery scent, and casts a colorless smoke, which most connoisseurs - as well as those sitting in their company - find rather appealing. When ground, it makes a superior snuff.
Value: 1 gm/lb
Banickle
Shall I slay you a tune?

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Banickle on May 14th, 2013, 4:47 am

ImageJasmine Tob
Type: Seed-Based; Flowering
Stature: Can grow to be 6 to 7 feet tall.
Color: A dark green stem with a trumpet-shaped, pale flower, usually in shades of yellow and green.
Seasonality: Seeds can be planted in early Spring, but also as late as the first few days of Fall.
Uses: Artistic; Culinary; Medicinal
Additional Information: Jasmine Tob is primarily used to attract butterflies and hummingbirds, as well as hummingbird moths, but it is also used to drive away deer, which hate the taste of its flowers. Ironically, the very same buds are prized by the citizens of Kenash who often use them to sweeten drinks and desserts. The flowers are also used in the production of perfumes, as well as massage oils, which are used during the practice of aromatherapy. Slaves have been known to snatch up discarded stems to chew on as they work in the fields, for even the older stems retain a semi-sweet flavor.
Value: 4 sm/lb
Banickle
Shall I slay you a tune?

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Banickle on May 14th, 2013, 5:02 am

ImageDeep Passion Tob
Stature: Can grow to be 3 to 4 feet tall.
Color: A light green stem with a trumpet-shaped, dark flower, usually in shades of blue and purple.
Seasonality: Seeds should be planted in Spring and only Spring.
Uses: Artistic
Additional Information: Deep Passion Tob is used for one thing only: perfumes. Its intoxicating scent is said to cause an immediate and rather lustful response. To lay in a bed of it is simply asking for trouble.
Banickle
Shall I slay you a tune?

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Banickle on May 14th, 2013, 5:24 am

ImageBlood Tob
Stature: Can grow to be 2 to 3 feet tall.
Color: A sickly yellow stem with a trumpet-shaped, bright flower, usually in shades of red and pink.
Seasonality: Seeds can be planted in any season.
Uses: Lethal
Additional Information: Like its sister plant, Deep Passion, Blood Tob serves one purpose and one purpose only: poison. One drop of its essence can make a person horrifically sick, where as three can kill.
Banickle
Shall I slay you a tune?

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Spirit Frostfawn on May 14th, 2013, 2:08 pm

Just to put all this into words, and I know I've at least discussed this in chat (and Banickly with Goss).... so, the educational system!

The 'haves', or the 'rich kids' as we like to call them would almost never be trained in practical skills. The best would be horse riding and archery (for show of course) and maybe a bit of sailing for the Drear kids. They would more or less be trained in management, business, acting, socializing, persuasion, politics, social etiquette, and stuff like that. Their education system is more formal, though there's no official 'school'. Instead, they're taught by their family. Those with greater talent get moved up, learn more, and will eventually become a greater success. A prospective new head of family will often be privately tutored, generally by the current head him/herself. Those who are less successful or talented, generally those with a mental disability or such, will occasionally be sold into slavery by their own family, not wanting to be seen with such a disgrace. Often the children are very competitive, fighting to do better than each other, in order to be noticed by the head. It's actually quite similar to the family feuds, though on a smaller scale, where students will group around one of the best, and support them, in hope that they will gain a boots from being friends once that person is in power.

The slaves, however, are generally taught on a much less formal scale, often with their knowledge handed down from their elders. It's generally the head slave who explains everything, or some one close, but the teaching is generally very slim. They often just have to work their way up, learning along the way. Messing up, however, is generally punished, so without any instruction at all, things can get a little painful. Anyways, once they figure stuff out, their learning is a lot more practical, and they can easily do things their masters can not. It's them who do the real physical work around the plantation, be it agriculture and such, or just a household one cooking.

I'm not really so sure on the slaves, and I'm not sure how well I explained it, but these were the general ideas I came up with. There's probably a bit of competition among slaves too to become head slave or something... Anyways, any comments/questions/feedback is wanted and needed... This is more of just a compiling of information to be worked on, rather than anything official at this point...

Spirit Frostfawn
Whistle with the Birds

Words: 302388
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2013, 11:53 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Tinnok on May 14th, 2013, 2:26 pm

That sounds awesome Spirit!

This is just a thought, but on the slave education side of it, perhaps it is Dynasty dependent on how their teaching works? I feel like certain Dynasties would be put off by dealing with the education of their slaves and would let it be self organized and taught, and perhaps even exert minor control over them as well (for example forbidding them to learn how to read or write), while Dynasties that rely on slaves for part of their business like Radacke and Ackina might take a more direct approach in education, and have a more formal if lesser way of schooling than the 'haves'.

Image Image Image
Tinnok
A Witch of the Wilds

Words: 878542
Joined roleplay: February 3rd, 2013, 5:27 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Banickle on May 14th, 2013, 2:48 pm

So far, so good, Spirit, however, a few questions came to mind as I read your notes:

• Would the current head be so willing to train their replacement and would they even want to be bothered? I can easily see them saying, "Figure it out! I'm not holding your hand. I don't have time for you! There's a new snuff shop opening in town."
  • Family members as slaves? Wouldn't that show them as weak and feeble to the other Dynasties? I sort of see those who are meek or handicapped being locked away somewhere or shipped off to another region. "Now Aunt Sariffy, do you want to be put back in your box? Do you? No? Then behave!"
  • Knowledge is power, so, as Tinnok pointed out, would there be certain things a slave would never be allowed to learn? If they even show a sign of knowledge, are they strung up on the nearest tree?
Just a few things to keep in mind as we progress with this topic.

Happy writing,
Nick
Banickle
Shall I slay you a tune?

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Banickle on May 14th, 2013, 3:52 pm

DYNASTYPRIMARY CROPS PRIMARY GOODS PRIMARY SERVICES
Paille Cotton, Tobacco Stormgems Weather Control
Konrath Tobacco Weapons Security, Weaponsmithing
Askara Cotton, Hay, Tobacco Fine Clothing & Accessories, Horses Tailoring, Riding Instruction
Sitai Hemp, Sugarcane, Tobacco Aphrodisiacs, Perfumes Auctioning
Lorak Cotton, Tobacco Medicines Healing
Draer Cocoa Beans Chocolates Ferrying
Morealis Barley, Cotton, Sugarcane, Tobacco Alcohol, Gemstones, Sweets Teaching
Radacke Indigofera, Tobacco Dyes, Exotic Slaves Construction, Slave Training
Lynint Sugarcane Livestock Messaging
Rajor Tobacco Pesticides Critter Control
Ackina Various Grains, Vegetables Kelvic Slaves, Livestock Slave Training
Zulaca Modified Cotton, Modified Tobacco Colored Cottons, Flavored Tobaccos Crop Whispering

The above chart is a work in progress and will be modified as additional details are revealed about each family. Some items listed were simply extrapolated from the family write-ups or locations put forth so far. If the creator of a family disagrees with said extrapolation, I will be more than happy to remove and update, as needed. TBD = To Be Determined.

Happy writing,
Nick
Last edited by Banickle on May 17th, 2013, 1:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Banickle
Shall I slay you a tune?

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

PreviousNext