Closed An Unlikely Reunion [Kavala, Vanator]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

An Unlikely Reunion [Kavala, Vanator]

Postby Sybel on April 27th, 2013, 1:34 pm

86th Day of Spring, 513 AV

The trip from Zeltiva had been relatively uneventful. Sybel had spent many pensive nights roasting game over the open fire, eyes lost in the ravenous smolder of the flames. Parting with Eleret had been difficult, to say the least. It was rare for her to form such close ties with anyone and thus, sacrificing the luxury of companionship had taken its toll. Her mad heartbeat beat to the rhythm of Eplah’s hooves as they plunged down the road toward Riverfall and cresting a hill, the compound of local stables glinted seductively in the view of Syna’s early morning light.

That was unfamiliar. It was a wonder how much time had passed since she’d first visited the stone city. The owner was a shrewd one, for the location of the compound drew the weary traveler in. There was a small fluttering in her stomach, a stab of anxiety. The Benshira inhaled sharply, attempting to rid herself of the feeling. Why should she have cause to be afraid? There was a remote part of her mind that sensed an impending change in her fortunes. Gripping the reins tightly, she resumed her previous pace and plummeted toward whatever fate held in store.

Upon reaching the inner courtyard, she dismounted to walk. Eplah moseyed along at her flank, whickering lightly and tossing her head. ”You feel it, old girl?” She whispered, looking back at her lifelong companion. ”Something is making us nervous.” The hood of her cloak still concealed most of her face, giving her a stronger sense of security. If she owed this person money, she might even be able to get out alive. An attendant would present themselves in due time and until then, she’d wait.

Stopping just beyond the center of the space, she turned to examine her mount. Eplah had grown older with the passing years and it showed. She was not suited for travel the way she’d been when she Bel was seventeen. The time was fast approaching for her to assume a younger ride and the thought was unbearable. Eplah had been the only constant in her life… Sybel held a special tenderness for that horse, her best friend. With a soothing whisper, she gently smoothed a palm over her mane. ”I couldn’t replace you.”

Sybel had always figured she’d die before Eplah would.

The cadence of footsteps alerted her to someone’s approach. Giving Eplah an affectionate pat, she turned to face the newcomer and arrange for a place to board her steed. What happened next however, she was not prepared for.

"I am wild, full-blooded and a trifle reckless." - Ser Arthur Conan Doyle
Sybel
I drive a hard bargain.

Words: 310247
Joined roleplay: October 14th, 2012, 4:53 pm
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Vanator on April 30th, 2013, 2:19 pm

Vanator had finished off a hearty breakfast, thanks to Tia, and headed up the tunnel to the courtyard with a strip of cured pork in his hand. Aweston had gone into town the day before and picked up a wagon wheel that had been repaired. Vanator wanted to get a early start on mounting it back onto the wain.

Stepping out beneath the open sky, Vanator inhaled deeply. The air was rich with life, the flora by this late in the season in full bloom and green, the aroma of the barns, stables,livestock yards and salty sea breeze mingling into a now familiar smell for the Drykas. His eyes surveyed the Sanctuary around him, a work in progress as barns were being erected, piles of wood and stone strategically placed about the grounds, the stockpile of building material burned during the Fall Zith attack having been replaced. Strolling over to the wagon, Van picked up the wooden mallet that lay in its bed, along with the wooden hub pins. The vehicle was jacked up on a large section of sawn log, the repaired wheel leaning against one of its mounted fellows. Vanator rolled the wheel over to its axle, lowering himself to his knees and lifting the heavy wheel onto the wooden beam. Once it was settled and flush against the metal band around the axle, the Drykas shoved the thick wooden pin through the hole in the axle and began to pound it in with the mallet.

Sanctuary always resounded with the cacophony of its inhabitants, lowing cattle, whinnying horses, barking dogs, clucking chickens, screeching raptors. So it was not until Vanator heard the crunch of hooves close by that his eyes darted upwards, seeing the cowled rider sliding from her saddle. A woman, her form unfamiliar, face concealed, had entered the courtyard.

Rising to his feet, Van walked towards the visitor. She was speaking with her steed, caressing its mane. Vanator prepared to greet the stranger. "Hello, welcome to Sanctuary, I'm..."

When the hooded figure turned to face him, Vanator's words dropped to the ground, followed by his jaw and the mallet, which bounced off the toe of his boot. The Dunusk recognized the woman's eyes in an instant, and with equal suddenness, his heart arrested its beat, seized by shock for a tick, before resuming its cadence with chest-pounding fervor. Pale blue gaze, like azure crystal, stared back at him. Though it had been five years, it felt like a lifetime since he had been captivated by that gaze.

"Sybel..."
He muttered, as if his mouth had found sense enough to speak on its own while his brain wrapped around the unbelievable. The moment hung for an eternity, Vanator torn between fiercely embracing the woman he had never stopped loving, and restraining from the person he had not known in five long years. Mind and tongue finally connected and Vanator spoke.

"Its you...where have you been, why are you here?" They were inane questions, simple and far from the greater inquiries Vanator wanted to make. But they were a beginning.
Vanator
There is fire shut up in my bones.

Words: 940033
Joined roleplay: January 8th, 2010, 1:16 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Kavala on May 27th, 2013, 4:01 am

It had been years, absolutely years, but Kavala recognized the horse far sooner than she recognized the rider. It wasn't her empathy, for the animal hadn't remained unchanged over the years. But she did remember the soft eye, the kind features of the mare who's name she remembered was Eplah. Kavala smiled, dropping what she was doing, which was nothing so important as paving a new pathway between the clinic and what would soon be a cattery.

She also couldn't help overhear Sybel's words about not being able to replace the mare as she rose and saw her brother's reaction to the newcommer's presence. Kavala hadn't been sure Sybel was riding Eplah until she witnessed her brother's reaction and heard her long lost friend's voice. She rose from where she was kneeling over the dirt, forming stone from nothing but her res, and brushed her hands clean. Then slowly she walked to join the trio - horse, rider, and brother. As she approached, she smiled, raising her voice quite happily.

"Of course you can't replace her. That's why you need to be here. She's older, but not to old to breed. You need to give her a year off of wandering to have a foal for you so we can get you remounted in her bloodline."
Kavala said, eyeing the mare and already picking the perfect match of blood to put with her to throw something that would give Sybel a superior mount.

Denusk. Of course. Kavala wouldn't let anything less cover her friend's mare if Sybel agreed.

"Who cares why she is here, Vanator. All we need care about that she is here. And that we aren't letting her leave!"
Kavala said, coming up alongside Sybel, catching her arm with her own, linking the two to hug the woman she thought was lost in the djed storm like the rest of her family.
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Sybel on July 3rd, 2013, 11:25 pm

Sybel’s mouth opened, then closed. She simply gaped in mute astonishment at Vanator, the man whom she betrayed so many years in the past. Her heart swelled and tears stung her eyes. How had life brought her to him? How could she possibly deserve such a thing? But even before her mind began to process what had just happened, another shock presented itself.

”Kavala?” She croaked, totally unable to believe it. ”Syna’s flaming knickers…” As Kavala linked all three of them together, she began to cry in earnest. ”By the gods, it’s you. Both of you.” With breakneck force, she embraced them both fiercely, tears openly streaming from her eyes. Hysteria broke down all her mental boundaries. She began to blubber things like: ”I thought you were dead,” and ”I am so sorry…”

She wept openly, wept like she had been drinking. Eplah tossed her head and pranced around the open space, as if pleased. As if she’d carried Sybel to where she truly belonged. Mucus invaded her sinuses like a pack of angry Myrians. It was all she had not to snot all over her two most beloved, the man of her dreams and her beautiful best friend. She continued swearing, with all sorts of colorful expressions. ”Leth’s immortal underpants…” She finally concluded, mopping her eyes. ”You’re both real.”

”I cannot believe Lhex granted me this. I looked for you,” she said to Kavala, ”both of you, in fact. When I heard the Denusk Pavilion was gone, I thought…” Her mouth grew tight and she grimaced, unable to finish without crying all over again. ”I love you both. I really do. Please believe me. You can’t imagine the nights, when I grieved over and over again. But it’s really true. You’re both alive… And here.”

”Eplah, you jerk. You knew, didn’t you?!” The horse seemed to smile in the fading light. Maybe she really was going mad. ”I just… I…” She groped for the words to say. Looking upon Vanator stung. It stung her to the core. He was most likely married now, and happy. That was good. It was what he deserved.

”Do you work here?” She finished lamely.

Sybel
I drive a hard bargain.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Vanator on July 7th, 2013, 7:38 pm

Kavala, ever the voice of reason, brought her brother out of his shock as she drew the former lovers to her in an embrace. Vanator held both women firmly, and as Sybel broke down in an unexpected fit of weeping, The Drykas man buried his face in her raven mane. He inhaled, the familiar scent of Sybel still clinging to the hair caked in dust from the road. His embrace tightened.

The Benshiran confessed she had looked for them, until she heard the Denusks were lost. Vanator could not tear his eyes from Sybel, even to shoot a glance at his Konti sister. Sybel had left him. Told him she would marry him, then left. Why had she been looking for them? Did she have a change of heart after traveling the world? Or was it Kavala she had sought?

It hurt to see Sybel. He wanted to be mad, to hold the pain she caused against him. But a lifetime had passed since those days. The world had changed. Things he thought were lost were returning to Vanator. Freedom, Kavala, Pygmy's children, and now, Sybel. He had family again....but Van was lonely. Then she shows up.

Their guest finally composed herself, and inquired about the Denusks and the facility. It was Kavala's to boast, and Vanator would not take that from her, but he would set the stage. "This is Sanctuary. Kavala built this from just a couple buildings." Vanator's gaze remained fixed upon Sybel's pale blue eyes, even as they avoided his. "I live and work here as well."

"Hello, Eplah, my old friend."
Vanator moved to caress the strong neck of the Desertbred, slick with lather. "We'll have Aweston take care of you." Van looked over at Kavala, knowing his sister would see his contending emotions. He looked back to the young desert woman. "I am sure you are thirsty, and probably hungry and tired. I hope you will stay for a while. " And tell me where the Hai you have been, he thought.
Vanator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kavala on July 21st, 2013, 6:17 am

Kavala laughed, letting Sybel cry. She knew the feeling and was handing the crazy Benshira woman a square of cloth from her pocket to blow her nose on before she decide to use her sleeve or one of theirs.

"The Denusk Pavilion is here, stone now, not cloth. And we're doing okay. Healing. Like everyone else, that Djed Storm took a great deal from us. But you Sybel, look great. You smell like a dead thing though. Bath first, then food, then we can catch up and visit. When you're well rested, Vanator will likely want to kick your ass. But we're fair folk. We'll let you rest up for it first. I'll go with Eplah and help her find Aweston. Once she's settled I'll meet up with you. Van, show her to the bathing chamber in The Within? There's towels and robes in there. Soap and everything she needs as well. I'll round up some clothing that will fit her, something that hasn't been rotting in her saddlebag, and meet you guys there. I'll stop by the kitchen and get Cadra organized to round her up something to eat and drink. Sybel, you' are staying here a few days. We have plenty of room and supplies." Kavala left her comment as an order, not as a suggestion, but met Vanator's eyes anyhow.

In them was a warning. Let her rest. She'll talk with time. Don't ask hard questions until shes ready to give answers. Her deep blue gaze lightened as she unfastened Sybel's saddlebags from Eplah and handed them to Vanator. Then she pivoted with the mare in tow, and headed off to the boarding stable to find Aweston and get Eplah settled.

Vanator could find his way, get Sybel in the bath, and they could talk alone for a few minutes while Kavala got everything settled in terms of food, and laid new sheets in a spare room.
Last edited by Kavala on July 28th, 2013, 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Sybel on July 21st, 2013, 9:27 pm

Sybel received the handkerchief gladly. Better to blow her nose before it ran like a spigot. ”I see you’ve retained your modesty,” she said to Vanator, still hanging on to Kavala’s half-embrace. The feeling of connection between the three of them was undeniable. ”You would mention yourself as an afterthought.” But the conversation moved on, meeting questions with answers. Sybel looked around in wonder, imagining what it took to construct it all. ”This is amazing. It’s truly yours?” She couldn’t begin to fathom the sacrifices, all in the name of forging a new home.

She laughed lightly at the remark about her stench. Kavala was nothing if not frank. It was something Sybel had not forgotten. ”Alright then,” she said, resisting a sly smile. ”You win. But later I want to know exactly what you’ve been up to.” Eplah gravitated toward the Konti, all too eager for her attention. Perhaps it would be good to relax first. That was, before it hit her that she’d be with Vanator… Alone. She suddenly felt very cold.

Fighting the rising bile in the back of her throat, she smiled. ”Let’s go then.” She gestured for Vanator to lead the way, flashing Kavala a frightened look before trailing off behind him. It said: ’I have no idea what I’m doing.’ The truth was, she didn’t have a clue. What could she possibly say?

They walked in silence for a little while. ”So, what do you do here?” A mundane premise, but it’d be safer that way. He couldn’t be the stablemaster… That must be Aweston, the aforementioned employee. ”I figure you’ve been putting yourself to good use.” She winced. Her voice sounded pitchy, fake. ”I mean, well.. You know what I mean.” Every sentence just seemed to make things worse.

”I’ll just stop talking now.” Her gaze dropped to the floor. This was going well, all things considered. At least they hadn’t flogged her.

Yet.

Sybel
I drive a hard bargain.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Vanator on July 26th, 2013, 12:26 pm

Thank the gods for Kavala. The Konti Denusk took the reins as Sybel and Vanator floundered in the mire of the sudden reunion. There was certainly strategy in her instructions, and Vanator felt as uncomfortable with the prospect of suddenly being alone with the Benshiran as she was. There was distinct admonishment in his sister's azure gaze, and Vanator heeded her wisdom. Time. If things were to heal, if he wanted them to heal, it would take time.

"This way." Van instructed, leading Sybel to the tunnel entrance to the Within. Though the Drykas was content to walk in silence, especially after the advice of Kavala, Sybel insisted on conversing. It was polite, afterall.

"My official title is Armsmaster. I set up the Santuary's armory, and help ensure that the residents are all fit and given combat training. It came in handy last Fall, we were attacked by Zith only a tenday after I arrived. I had just stocked the armory."
The true intent of the armory, the combat readiness, and the fortification of the facility was part of a larger plan, known only to Kavala and Van. The Zith attack simply provided a more obvious justification.

Keeping his attention on the path down through the passages carved by Kavala herself and adorned with lights and stones. "Of course, I help with daily chores, like most of us here." Vanator lead Sybel through the Common Room and kitchen, where Cadra was chopping vegetables. Van gave the girl a fleeting smile as they passed through. The pair continued through the library and down the corridor of private quarters. So many questions brewed in the Denusk's mind, he allowed himself to pose a simple one. "From where have you come?" He asked as they drew near to the doorway at the end of the hall.

Van lead their guest into the bathing chamber, pointing to the stack of towels and cloths on a table, robes on wall pegs and the basket of soaps and ointments. "Everything you need is here, is there anything else you need?" Van inquired. He was trying to maintain his nonchalance, while his heart thudded against his chest, head still reeling from the sudden appearance of the woman he had never really gotten over.
Vanator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kavala on August 2nd, 2013, 5:45 pm

Kavala got Sybel's horse settled, well fed, and checked for injuries. Once the mare was good to go, Kavala turned towards the tunnel and started down into the Within. She knew Vanator would take Sybel to the baths, and that's what the girl needed. While Vanator did that, Kavala got Sybel's room ready. She picked one of the more vibrantly decorated rooms, this one in blue, and made up the bed with linens. The room was coated in sodalite, with a deep blue color tinged a violet, interspersed with white veins of calcite. She thought it fit the Benshira's personality.

Then she made two trips up to the gardens to cut some flowers. She arranged blue and white hydrangeas in a two large arrangements on either side of the blue. Kavala wanted Sybel to feel welcome. She just wasn't sure how to do it. The Healer left a basket of fruit and a bottle of wine with a single glass so the woman could relax once things had settled and think.

She thought it a kindness. Then, quietly, she went to find the pair.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Sybel on August 2nd, 2013, 6:18 pm

He kept things light, which was good. ”I see,” she replied as they wound their way through the corridors. The place was truly amazing; she marveled at just how much it all had cost her. Kavala had the inimitable ability to carve something from nothing. She just never realized how impressive it’d appear in its true physical manifestation. ”This is beautiful,” she murmured, gazing at lights above as they passed.

So they all helped out? That sounded right. The compound wasn’t going to run itself, after all. Perhaps she’d find a place doing menial tasks for a little while, just so she could be close to them. It was both a fitting punishment and reward. ”I’ve just come from Sylira,” she replied abstractly, still admiring the stonework of the hall. ”It wasn’t too long a journey.” She flashed him a feeble smile, unable to conceal the pain in her eyes. Every time she gazed upon him, it hit her with impunity.

”No, thanks. I’m fine.” She undid the clasp at the nape of her neck before removing her cloak. She didn’t intend to strip in front of him, but perhaps undressing would give him the hint. She needed time to think as it were, on top of everything else. ”Excuse me,” she said, unable to look him in the eye. Once he’d politely vacated, she peeled off her travel-worn clothing piece by piece. ”Ah,” escaped her lips as she dipped into the steaming water, unable to contain the chills that followed. It felt amazing to finally have a bath – and a hot one, at that.

After a time, she finally began to consider things. ”What am I going to do?” She asked aloud, burying her face in her hands. It was the most wonderful and terrible thing that could have happened. On one hand, not only were they alive but also, they were well. On the other, she had a lot of explaining to do. And not just to Vanator, either. Kavala was plenty understanding but she was uncompromising when it came to responsibility. Sybel had broken her brother’s heart.

”This has got to be the work of Ionu… I’ll wake up tomorrow having rolled in mud, gone completely mad.” But it was all too real to deny. ”I have to apologize… But how do I apologize for my wanderlust? What should I have done?”

’Told the truth, you idiot.’ Ahh, there it was - the all-too-familiar mental taskmaster. Of course, it was right. ”So I apologize for being dishonest, then? But I crushed his heart. How is that sufficient, exactly?” The one-sided conversation pressed on. ’Then apologize for that, too! What do you want? Absolution?’ She grumbled. ”No, I guess not.”

’Just do the best that you can.’

Sybel scrubbed herself down best she could, playing a bit in the steaming waters before emerging, moisture beading off her bronze skin. The sun had given her an amber glow, making her look healthier than she truly was. Rations were not exactly nourishing. She was loathe to change back into her dirty clothes but it seemed she had no choice.

Sybel
I drive a hard bargain.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Next