[Flashback] Among the Tents (Hirem)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A half-collapsed city of alabaster and gold fiercely governed by Eypharians. Even partially ruined, it is the crown of the desert and a worthy testament to old glories and rising powers.

Postby Ifran on July 13th, 2010, 3:48 am

"Better or worse, I am not sure. Certainly different. Our tents are made of stone, so we don't move. I like Ahnatep, but I was raised knowing only that."

There was a rustle of the wind through the river grasses, the song of water, and the crunch of their feet upon the sandy, rocky trail. The colors were different here, uncluttered by gardens and silks, and the sky seemed wider, the earth bigger.

"I can see why some might follow the winds across the desert, though," he added quietly, and then they were there. The half-pitched tent had leaned over a bit since he had gone to collect the water. With a theatrical sigh, he set the vessel aside and began to pull the tent upright again. "There has to be an easier way to do this..."
Ifran
House of the North Winds

Words: 172387
Joined roleplay: April 9th, 2010, 10:57 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Lore Author (1)

Postby Hirem on July 14th, 2010, 9:28 pm

It appears they had both been restricted to one life, it seemed. They were both getting a glimpse into the other's world, though Ifran was getting a much bigger taste of Hirem's life than he did the other's. Was this fair? Did Ifran get a bigger glimpse because he was older and easier to adjust? The boy had no idea how to answer those questions, but he wished that one day, he got a taste of Ahnatep as Ifran got a taste of his Tent life.

As they approached the tent, Hirem surveyed it carefully, a grimace coming to his face. It was an honest effort, as befitting this Eypharian, but it was unfinished, probably because this boy had no idea how to do this task. The Benshiran shrugged, and walked over to the tent, pulling on the surface of the thing softly. "You're gonna need to pull it down and start again. I'll help you, but you gotta follow my instructions."

Together, they pulled the shelter down and started anew. They dug holes in the ground and placed the wooden stakes securely in the ground, creating foundations for the fabric to be pulled over the frame. They set up the frame, working efficiently as they could with one person still being instructed in the task. Hirem was good at setting up his own tent, but he doubted his abilities as a teacher. After all, Ifran had fallen into the river and nearly got killed by crocodiles when Hirem tried to tell him how to walk with two arms.

Still, they got the task done in almost no time at all, the tent pulled up and standing erect in a few chimes from once they started the task. As soon as it was done, Hirem nodded, overlooking their finished creation. "There we go. That should hold for a long time." He looked to Ifran, curious if he was staying for a long time. The boy had no idea how long the Eypharian was expected to stay, but he hoped that he did so for a long time. The boy wanted more information on this mysterious new lifestyle.

My PCs:
Hirem
Hirem
The golden age is over.

Words: 615712
Joined roleplay: November 26th, 2009, 3:50 am
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Donor (1)

Postby Ifran on July 15th, 2010, 5:09 am

Young Ifran surveyed their work, knowing that he could have managed it eventually, but glad to have done it more efficiently with the help of the young Benshira. Finally he nodded, approving of their work, and smiled to his helper. Though he was rarely this kind to a non-Eypharian, he was no longer in Ahnatep where racism was expected. If they were friends of Taharqa, than that was good enough for him.

"I am called Ifran," he said, leaving off any mention of his Noble House. Though the lad probably knew nothing of the Houses of the Four Winds, it were best not to mention it, especially while still an apprentice.

"Now I must thank you for helping me learn to walk two-armed, for saving me from the wily crocodiles, for sharing my water burden, and now for helping me with my tent. What is your name, that I might extol the extravagance of your hospitality? Oh, but first...! A song of Ahnatep," he offered, "to help you picture it."

"Our good life in Ahnatep was brief," he sang,
"but how potent were the perfumes,
how splendid the bed on which we lay,
and to what sensual delights did we give our bodies?
Its fields are full of good things and it has provision for every day.
Its granaries overflow, they reach the sky.
Its ponds are full of fishes and of eels and of birds.
Its fields are green with grass and its banks bear dates.
He who lives there is happy,
And the poor man is like the great elsewhere."
Last edited by Ifran on July 18th, 2010, 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ifran
House of the North Winds

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Lore Author (1)

Postby Hirem on July 18th, 2010, 2:09 am

"Ifran? Just Ifran? Huh." Hirem looked the boy up and down, wondering what he had done to make him become bereft of a proper name. Ifran, and nothing else? No mention of what son he was descended from or where he called home? It was certainly a different type of title than what Hirem was used to, but he still had to get adjusted to this new type of life business.

The thought vanished out of his mind as he gave a smug smile at his accomplishments. He felt very good about what he had done today, but he still managed to wipe the look off his face in the favour of modesty. It would do no good, acting like a self important meanie to a new friend. Best be courteous like his father acted around guests.

The song managed to change his mind yet again, and after Ifran was done, Hirem spent long moments thinking about the song. It had certainly sounded nice, and Ifran had a pleasant voice to hear, one that had been trained to sing as he did. The boy definitely didn't understand most of the song, but he got the general gist of it, that Ahnatep was a wondrous and lavish place to live.

"That's a neat song, Ifran. I think Ahnatep sounds like a great place to live, really. But the Tents aren't so bad either. We have lots to do, and we're surrounded by people we like. It's a lot of fun, really." Yet, Hirem did want to visit this city very, very much. To shake his remorse at his current predicament, he told Ifran his name in a very proud voice. "I'm Hirem, from the tents of Alachi, of the sons of Rapa."

My PCs:
Hirem
Hirem
The golden age is over.

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Ifran on July 18th, 2010, 10:32 pm

Curious, Ifran watched Hirem's face as he spoke, noting the pride with which he spoke of his family and lineage. Of course, Ifran's lineage was as high as anyone's, but he didn't know how to parse it in the Benshira fashion. Perhaps he would learn that now; Taharqa had a way of quizzing him on what he had learned, so as to make him more aware of such things rather than letting them pass by unnoticed. This was good. Aru, his young friend in the Ano Cult, had similar tricks, some mnemonic and others like those of Ifran's master.

"How do you do that?" he asked. "I know my lineage, but I do not know how to say my name in your fashion."

At least the boy had good taste in music. He had heard that the Benshira were uncultured, and while he would attest that Eypharian culture was the best, he had not developed a true disdain for other cultures. They were, as he said, different.
Ifran
House of the North Winds

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Lore Author (1)

Postby Hirem on July 20th, 2010, 12:46 am

"Uhm... okay." Hirem searched for a way to explain his method of greeting, but there wasn't much that he knew how to say. He had always said things thus, so much so that it became like a chant, no real meaning to it. However, he was able to at least find some points on which to instruct Ifran.

"Well, first, you give your name. So, Ifran. Then, you have to say that you're from the tents of your patriarch, or, in your case, from the house or city or place or whatever of the leader of your family. Ifran from the house of someone. And then you have to find your distant ancestor, which in my case is a son of Biyram, and for you it's... I don't know." Hirem grunted, shrugging in a manner that said, Maybe they're not supposed to mix."

"So, how do you introduce yourself in Ahnatep? Is it just Ifran?" Hirem shook his head as he sat himself down, rubbing his hands together. Helping Ifran had been fun, but he still had many questions to ask Ifran, this Taharqa and his father as to this newcomer. Speaking of which, he probably should go check on his family to see if he had any outstanding tasks to do.

My PCs:
Hirem
Hirem
The golden age is over.

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Ifran on July 20th, 2010, 5:52 am

"So I am Ifran, from the tents of Sadiki, of the sons of the North Winds... I suppose. The roots of my House go back beyond memory. In Ahnatep, when I am no longer in Master Taharqa's service, I will be Ifran of the House of the North Winds again, but for now, I am only Ifran. I believe I am supposed to learn humility from this."

He grinned.

"Please do not tell him that I identified myself. It is one of his rules."

Ifran sat down too, his legs crossing easily into the Lotus, his six hands at rest. He was limber from all those years of sword-dancing. He peered at Hirem, wondering what to make of the younger boy, all the while his ears perked for the sound of his master returning.
Ifran
House of the North Winds

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Lore Author (1)

Postby Hirem on July 26th, 2010, 5:57 pm

Hirem didn't understand what the North Winds were, or why it would have sons and have a house built on it, but it could have just been a fancy name. He also didn't understand the bit about Ifran not identifying myself, but Eypharian rules and customs were beyond him for the moment. Ah well. "If I meet this Taharqa, I won't breath a word. Your secret is safe with me." Actually, he rather liked the idea of a secret to keep. It was like Ifran was entrusting himself to the Benshiran boy.

Then, the sound of sandals padding their way through the sands caught Hirem's attention, and he snapped his head up just in time to see his father approach them, eyes locked on the Eypharian with a curious gaze. His father's bright blue eyes weren't lined with steel as they watched Ifran, but it was always impossible to tell with Raim. He was a tall man, a trait that was probably going to pass down to his son. Raim was not the patriarch of this Tent, but he assumed responsibility of things when the patriarch Alachi was not available. Raim, as he neared speaking distance, turned his gaze to the tent set up behind the two boys. "You set this up all by yourself, Ifran?"

Hirem raised his hand to grab his father's attention, and grinned. "I helped him set it up, actually!" Unfortunately, a look of recognition did not appear on his father's face. Instead, there was a brief nod as Raim collected this information, then he pointed out away from the camp.

"Your master wishes for you to meet him out on the sands, that way. I don't know what you're to do there, but I suppose it's your business."

My PCs:
Hirem
Hirem
The golden age is over.

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Ifran on July 26th, 2010, 7:11 pm

"Thank you, sir," he said respectfully as he stood up with the grace of a sword-dancer, albeit an apprentice sword-dancer. He bowed with equal dexterity, and then did the same to Hirem. "Thank you for your help also, Hirem. I look forward to learning the ways of your people."

He straightened and nodded, the seraphic smile on his face the sort that tended to charm everyone except old Taharqa. Picking up water for his master, he started off in the direction indicated by the man. There were miles to go before he would sleep, it seemed.

END
Ifran
House of the North Winds

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Lore Author (1)

Postby Colombina on October 9th, 2010, 2:03 am

The XP Wand Is Waved!

Er...better late than never! I have to say tiny Ifran and Hirem were kinda adorable. How they became such awful adults, I don't know... I kid ;-) I think this would be an interesting friendship in the future.

Baby Ifran's Loot

Lore of Benshira names
Lore of Nomadic Benshira
1xp singing

Baby Hirem's Loot

Lore of Eypharian names
Lore of Tent Making
1xp rhetoric (for all the instructing)

Colombina is pleased.
Getting to Know Me

[Insert awesome picture of scantily clad woman and something with wings here]
Feeling very poorly lately, have mercy on your absentee merbadger. (2/20/13)
Colombina
Mizahar's Only Mer-Badger Founder

Words: 632175
Joined roleplay: March 29th, 2009, 8:56 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) O RLY Decoration (1)

Previous