Flashback [Morwen's Palace] Visiting the Goddess

It's Spirit's coming of age, and her time to visit Morwen and receive her gift

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

[Morwen's Palace] Visiting the Goddess

Postby Spirit Frostfawn on June 7th, 2013, 9:08 pm

--Fall 98, 512AV--

Well... it was the day. Her sixteenth birthday. Her coming of age. Like all Vantha at this age, it was Spirit's turn to visit Morwen and obtain her gnosis. She was bubbling with excitement, but also slightly nervous. Sure, she'd seen her goddess on her leaving and homecomings, but... had never met her. The Frostfawn knew she was kind, obvious from what Avanthal had become, but still... she didn't know much, and for once hadn't asked. She knew that the gift was incredibly helpful, and created... almost a connection between the Ice Reaver and ice. Well, that was what she'd heard from the various older Vantha around, though obviously with quite a lot more words.

She stood in front of the large entrance hesitantly, taking in the massive construction with awe in her eyes. It was magnificent. Taking a deep breath, the now-of-age girl stepped into the icy palace, nervous, but excited. She was alone, not being quite sure if Morwen would appreciate a husky in her palace, but didn't mind the solitude. Her mind flooded with various possibilities of what would happen, though she forcefully skipped over the 'denied' circumstance, refusing to believe it possibly. She was a Vantha, right? She was sixteen. It was her time, and she would be gifted like everyone else! Spirit shook her head slightly, and tried to focus on the 'now'.

Inside was just as beautiful as the outside. The entire building was made of ice, though lit with storm gems of course. A true image of her goddess's domain. The walls were ice, the floor was ice, even the chandeliers! The glittering solid was so magnificent, so awe inspiring, that the Frostfawn couldn't help but let her jaw drop. She loved the ice and snow like all of her race, and this image just triggered something innate in her... Shaking her head again, Spirit continued, trying to remind herself what she had to do today. And it wasn't gawking at a bunch of ice. Even though it was a bunch of magnificently carved ice...

Spirit Frostfawn
Whistle with the Birds

Words: 302388
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2013, 11:53 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Verilian on June 12th, 2013, 2:50 pm

The ice palace was indeed beautiful, decorated magnificently and lit with the warm glow of storm gems. Warm might not have been the most accurate word, though, for unlike her kin who had already received their gnosis, Spirit could still feel the full force of the cold in the air around her. That would change soon, hopefully. As nervous as she was, Spirit was unlikely able to recall any story of a Vantha ever having been denied their gnosis mark.

Spirit found herself in a long hall, filled with scultures made of ice, crafted by some of Avanthal's greatest ice reavers over the years. There were chandeliers hanging from the ceiling, twinkling in the light from the glow of the storm gems, and the ice itself seemed to shimmer all around her.

Soon enough Spirit was approached by a woman, one that if she didn't recognize from personal experience, she probably knew from reputation alone as Jenna Aviak, Morwen's personal assistant. She was slender and not overly tall, her skin matching that of her fellow Vantha, and at that moment her eyes were a dark brown. The woman hurried down the hall until she was within a few feet of Spirit before greeting her. Her voice was kind, but serious.

"Hello! Welcome to the Ice Palace. What brings you here today?"

It was Jenna's job to greet everyone who entered the palace, and determine whether or not they would get to see Morwen. While it was very rare for somebody to be denied access to the goddess, it did happen from time to time when Jenna felt it was necessary. As nervous as she was about the whole thing, however, Spirit had no real reason to believe she would be denied.
Forecast for tonight... Dark
-----
Wind Reach---Wind Reach Lore---WR Request Thread
Verilian
Retired Staff

Words: 1113582
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:53 pm
Race: Staff account
Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Spirit Frostfawn on June 12th, 2013, 10:50 pm

Spirit smiled widely as the woman approached, though was still twitching slightly. She knew who the woman was: Jenna Aviak, Morwen's assistant. She'd never actually met the lady, but had heard of the older Vantha. Who hadn't? She was well known, being so important, and close with Morwen.

"It's my coming of age... and I'm supposed to visit Morwen" she explained, attempting to keep her voice confident. For once, it seemed to work. She'd slightly hoped that they knew she was coming, but really... who kept track? She wasn't the only Vantha here, and Morwen and Jenna were busy. It was easier for them to just have people come on their own initiative. It made sense, really. And she was just being selfish hoping for selfish treatment... The Frostfawn sighed quietly, but tried not to let it show. Instead, she tried to show a happy and excited expression, letting out her positive feelings about the event.

She waited for Jenna to show her to Morwen, since it was unlikely she would be denied... right? So she tried to force her thoughts into optimism, since it was a happy day! She was sixteen, and finally meeting the goddess! Her eyes quickly shifted from a light purple to blue, as her emotions obviously changed. Her smile widened, and became a little more realistic.

Spirit Frostfawn
Whistle with the Birds

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Verilian on June 18th, 2013, 4:18 pm

Jenna had of course suspected that was why Spirit was there. It was the same reason most young Avanthal showed up at the palace, more often than not in the company of their parents who wanted to witness, but it was not unusual for them to come alone as well. Receiving one's gnosis was a personal thing, and many felt they should be by themselves when they did it.

"Well then," she said with a smile, "We better not keep Morwen waiting."

Jenna led the way down the hall, though it wasn't as if Spirit could not have found the way herself. While there were other places to go in the palace, the main hall led straight to the throne room, which was where they were going. Once inside they found themselves in a large open room with seats for guests to wait for Morwen to see them. Up in front was the throne itself, and standing in front of it, conversing with one of her many visitors, was the goddess Morwen.

Morwen was.. well, to describe the awe inspiring beauty of a goddess was impossible, but she was certainly a sight to see. Her hair was white like snow, and in fact there were little icicles twinkling within it. Her eyes were blue like the winter sky. She stood with grace and confidence, and everybody treated her with the respect and loved she deserved.

Spirit was instructed to have a seat and wait her turn. She was not the only one there to see Morwen that day, but the seats were comfortable and warm, and there were refreshments available for those who were thirsty. Many of those waiting conversed quietly among themselves, being careful not to make too much noise and interrupt those actually speaking with the goddess. The wait was only fifteen chimes, but it likely seemed an eternity.

"Spirit Frostfawn," Jenna finally called out. "You may approach the throne."

Morwen took a seat, her eyes falling upon Spirit, her lips spread in a gentle smile. Jenna continued to speak, commanding the attention of all the others in the room. As the young Frostfawn approached, all eyes turned to watch her.

"Spirit has recently come of age, on the eighty-ninth day this season. She has come to see Morwen, as we all do, to be ushered into adulthood."

Morwen watched as Spirit approached. When she was close enough, Jenna nodded to her so that she would know to stop. It wasn't as if there was any fear of her getting too close to the goddess. Morwen could take care of herself, not to mention the polar bears on either side of the throne, but it was all for show and tradition. When Spirit was in place, Morwen stood.

"Spirit Frostfawn. Before you enter adulthood, I have one request of you. Tell me of your life, what you have learned so far, and of Avanthal, and of Winter. Speak from your heart, and let your feelings be known."
-----
Verilian
Retired Staff

Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Spirit Frostfawn on June 18th, 2013, 9:40 pm

Spirit had followed Jenna politely, sitting when instructed. Waiting felt like forever... she had no clue what to expect. What would Morwen say? She stared at the refreshments provided, trying to decide if she should get something to drink or not. Finally, she concluded that she wasn't actually thirsty, and getting up would require standing. Which, for some reason, she didn't quite feel like doing at the moment.

Finally, after around fifteen chimes, Jenna called her forwards and the Frostfawn moved obediently, stepping into the throne room. She watched Morwen expectantly, not sure what to think, except slightly nervous. As Jenna introduced her, she listened, analyzing every word, and stopped when notified. The polar bears on either side of the goddess were intimidating, but after being around them for so long... she felt more safe than scared around the creatures. They were protectors of the city, rather than vicious animals.

Morwen's question startled Spirit, though she tried hard not to show it. It was a curious inquiry, and one she had certainly not been expecting. She thought on it for a few minutes, trying to ignore a slightly pressured feeling, before answering. "My life... well, I've lived around animals all my life, and I love them. A lot. I have a companion... a sled dog named Wind, but he's getting old now... he's ten, actually. I've learned a lot about how to take care of animals, some medicine... but I've also learned about people, I guess. How some can be nice, and welcoming, and others slightly colder... but every one is their own person. Everyone's different. I guess I've kind of learned to accept that... and not judge them... and stuff like that..." She hesitated, unsure if that was what the goddess wanted for what she'd learned so far. In truth, there was so much... in sixteen years, she'd learned a lot of things... "It's hard to say it all... since I've learned so much" she admitted, voicing her thoughts. "Though I do love learning more and more... it's so interesting! But... Avanthal. It's such a nice place... and though I don't know much of others, I think it's on of the most beautiful cities in Mizahar... all the ice, and snow, and my friends and family. And it ties so well with winter, which I also love. I love the way ice looks, translucent, but light can reflect off it too. You can make beautiful sculptures out of it, that look so much nicer than those made out of stone. I love the snow... the way it falls, from blizzards to only a light shower... how you can sometimes see specific snowflakes, and how beautiful they look up close... I love the cold too, though sometimes it gets a little harsh, it can be refreshing too... and wake you up in the morning..." She drifted off, lost in her thoughts, considering the questions thoughtfully.

She quickly came back to reality, however, and jerked slightly, surprised. "Oh! Yes... I think that's all... of the important things, I guess..." she smiled shyly, hoping this was the kind of answer Morwen wanted. The goddess had wanted her to speak from the heart, and she'd done so... at least it felt like that. Sometimes it was nice to talk, though she liked the silence too. Wondering what would happen next, she watched Morwen carefully, looking for a reaction for her... rant, almost.

Spirit Frostfawn
Whistle with the Birds

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Verilian on July 2nd, 2013, 7:01 pm

The young Frostfawn's words brought a smile to the lips of the goddess. She had spoken well, and it was just what Morwen had wanted to hear. In truth, she would have been surprised to hear anything else, but it was still a pleasant thing, to hear of the love of winter, and of the things Spirit had come to learn in her short life so far.

Morwen stood and walked down the steps leading up to the throne approaching the young girl, now a woman, and taking her left hand, cupping it between her palms. Spirit felt a chill run through her entire body, from her hand, up her arm and into her head, down her other arm, down through her chest and all the way to the tips of her toes. It was not a painful chill, nor was it truly cold. It was difficult to describe, in truth, and it was unlikely that any two Avanthal would be able to give the exact same accounting of how receiving their gnosis felt.

"Spirit Frostfawn, by your words, your love of the snow and ice, and by the life you have lived, that you are more than worthy of this gnosis. Let me be the first to welcome you into adulthood."

Morwen let go of Spirit's hands and took a step back, and as the goddess let go Spirit suddenly felt a new change within her. The chill that ran through her body was replaced with warmth. If she was cold before, she would no longer be, and in fact feel quite comfortable. Suddenly her body was more resistant to the cold, and right after the warming sensation came the knowledge of how to use her gift. Not only had she become an adult that day, but she had become an Ice Reaver as well.

OOCSorry for taking so long! Things distracted me and I lost track of this thread. Feel free to put up a final post if you wish. If not, PM me and I'll post the grade.
-----
Verilian
Retired Staff

Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Verilian on July 2nd, 2013, 7:47 pm

Thread Award

Spirit Frostfawn

• +1 Storytelling
  • +1 Rhetoric

You Question My Logic? :
Eh, I gave you what I thought was applicable. If you feel I missed anything, feel free to PM me.

Lores: Lore of Vantha Coming of Age Ceremony, Lore of Ice Reaving

Gnosis: Ice Reaving - Rank 1

Notes: Congratulations! You are officially an Ice Reaver now, and I have updated your CS to reflect that. Sorry it took so long to complete such a short thread, but now you've got your gnosis, so yay! Keep writing!

Notice

As per the request of the Founders, threads cannot be graded unless your CS is up to date. This means you need to add threads to your thread list when you make new threads, keep your skills up to date, ledger, living expenses, ect. If you aren't up to date, you'll get a PM from me before i grade your thread. If you are up to date, disregard this notice.
-----
Verilian
Retired Staff

Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook