Solo [Sullin's Residence]A Message Glyphed

Clyde experiements with a new method of Glyphing messages

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

[Sullin's Residence]A Message Glyphed

Postby Clyde Sullins on June 17th, 2013, 8:15 pm

9 Summer 513

Clyde had been thinking things over for a few days now, over the idea he had while talking to Marcus. Honestly, he had part of the idea before, back when Gallo had been explaining Cryptography to him, but this had reminded him of it.

So he had finally decided to do something about it, and actually attempt to put into practice his idea for safely protecting a message from being read by any unwanted person.

The concept was simple. On one side of a piece of parchment or paper, he would Glyph a normal sealing scroll. It need not be a powerful one, just enougb to hold some magic. Here was the tricky part. He would need to word the trigger so that anyone not specifically allowed to read the scroll, would activate the trigger, releasing the spell held inside, and destroying the entire scroll.

Including the message written on the other side.

As long as your name was written on the scroll as a allowed reader, you could look at the words all you wanted, and nothing would happen. But if you were not, looking at it would destroy the message.

Admittedly this could keep allowed people from reading it if not specifically said, and it did destroy the message written, however it did something Cryptography did not, stopped 100% of all people attempting to read it without the right.

Surely the upside far outweighed the downside? The sheer ability to safely convey a message, with no worry of it being intercepted and read, more than made up for any possible lost message. And would you really want it read? Surely that was a good side effect in most cases.

No need for tricks, word keys, or Cryptography. It would be a step beyond anything anyone had done prior.

He would need to carefully think the wording, but this concept was truly amazing.

And he was fairly certain it would work!
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Clyde Sullins on June 17th, 2013, 8:30 pm

Clyde sat in his lab at his desk, looking at a blank sheet of parchment, quill and ink out ready to be used. But he was not ready to put quill to page... Not till he had thought things through fully.

First he needed to think what he needed.

Easy. He needed a message that could be safely delivered, read by anyone with permission, and would be destroyed should anyone else try to read it.

So who all needed to read it? Obviously he did, as the crafter, or else his making or handling the message could set it off. So did the sender, and the receiver... And what if something happened to the intended receiver? Perhaps a back up person who could read it. Or perhaps some blanket statement. Such as saying "any Chaon can read this scroll". Or "Any Druvin" if the message was important enough to warrant their attention.

So... He could simply leave some lines to be filled in later as some of the names, such as this _____.

He would sign his own name on the trigger, and then leave three blank lines which he could fill in later, or which could be filled in by the sender once he marked the first line with their name.

Smiling, it seemed simple enough. For his own uses, he would only need 2 blank lines, as he himself would be the writer and sender.

Clyde wrote some nonsense on the front of the parchment with his quill, smiling as he did.

"Blibble blobble blabble, a casting I shall send, for if you should not read this, a trigger shall attend."

That done, Clyde waited for the ink to dry fully, before turning the sheet over, and beginning his Glyphing. After all, he had the theory down, doing it in practice was easy enough.

Though he paused for a moment, what exactly would entail reading it? Just looking at the scroll? What of magical means?

He paused for a moment, thinking it out logically. Anyone who attempted to look at the words written on the scroll, through means magical or mundane... Yes that sounded good. After all, he himself could look without looking, through Auristics. Leaving that loophole would have ruined it all, if you could simply use magical means to circumvent it. Now with that wording, even magically trying to read without directly looking would set it off.
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Clyde Sullins on June 17th, 2013, 9:00 pm

The short message now written out and dried, Clyde turned the parchment over. He stretched for a moment, relaxing, before writing out his Glyphs.

He began with a focus, right smack in the middle. It was small, about the size of a cherry, after all it did not need to hold any great magics. In fact none of the glyphs needed to be large.

He thought for a moment, and then wrote it out. A small circle, with two lines bisecting it, and another line at the end of each of the X's points, making it look like 4 T's at 90 degree angles to each other, meeting in the middle of the circle.

Around it he drew a small barrier, a simple curving line snaking around the cherry sized focus. Since it was so small, he did a second barrier, another curving line, reflecting the previous line, so that each time the first line curved up, the second line curved down and almost touched.

The symmetry of it seemed oddly fitting, and right, for his Glyphing. He could not say why, but he had learned to trust his instincts in regards to Glyphing.

Finally, he made a small trigger next to it, attached to the two barriers, enveloping both at one of the points were they were closest to each other on the right side of the focus, the point of the triangle pointing outward and to the right side of the parchment.

Then in common lettering, right in the middle of the page, he wrote out the trigger.

If anyone but the undersigned attempts to read the words on this parchment, through means magical or mundane, the trigger will activate, lowerering the barriers and releasing the magic held within the focus.

Signed- Clyde Sullins
Sender-Clyde Sullins
Receiver-______________
Extra -______________

Once he gave one to someone, he would simply add their name as the sender before giving it to them, and then they could later add the receiver and extra person. Simple enough.

Now all he had to do was add a simple spell to the focus now that the Glyphing was done, and test it!
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Clyde Sullins on June 18th, 2013, 2:04 am

Clyde looked over his scroll, giving it a once over, making sure he had not missed anything. It was a pretty simple execution of Glyphing, so he doubted it, but a second look never hurt. Once he got good, he could make them in batches instead of one by one, which would be much simpler.

As he reread the trigger, he realized something. The way he had worded the trigger, at least a part of it, was similar to how he worded a Grand Oath. Or at least part of the wording. Which Clyde found a bit odd. He was not sure exactly what that fact meant, or said, but there it was.

It took a reasonably skilled Glypher to make a Grand Oath. And since they had the wording in common, perhaps the same would go for a similar trigger to the one he had used. It was hard to say. He would not know unless another user with less skill attempted it.

But then, it might work for awhile, and then go off randomly. So even that might not prove much.

Clyde paused for a moment, just breathing, and then held out one hand palm up and exuded a bit of res. He only did a small amount, shaping it with his will into a ball as it came out as a gas. Once it was the size of a marble, he stopped the flow. That was enough for this task. It did not need to be a big spell, just a spell.

With that Clyde faced it at the focus on the back of the scroll, elongated out the ball of res into a spike, and then slowly began to move it at the focus.

All at once with a twitch of his mind, a impulse and desire, he willed the res to transmute into air, and it did. He gave it one great push, and a tiny gust of magical wind blew into the focus, vanishing leaving no trace once inside.

Clyde paused for another moment, and then sighed. Nothing else to do but to test it. Rolling up the scroll, making sure to do so in a way that the words of the trigger were covered and would only be visible should the scroll be unrolled all the way, he got up from his seat and headed outside.
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Clyde Sullins on June 19th, 2013, 3:24 pm

Clyde opened the front door, letting in the sunshine. Rye had been sitting in the common room, and so had come out with him. He was now running over to the canal to relieve himself, hiking up a leg, and then running back.

In the meantime, Clyde was inspecting the people about him, wondering who to test it on. He noticed a man meandering, looking a bit shifty, as many people did in Ravok. But this one caught his attention, as he had just sneaked his hand out of a mans pocket, and was now slipping it back into his own. A thief, right out in the open, working his craft. Right in front of his petching house!

For a moment he considering casting a spell of Reimancy, and blasting him into the canal, but decided better of it. He would serve better as a tool in his experiment, even if unwitting.

"Excuse me sir, could you help me with something?"

The man froze, and turned to Clyde, thinking for a moment that he had been caught. But as he saw Clyde's face, not covered in anger, he settled down a bit, though still giving the man a wary eye.

"I was wondering can you read something for me? On this scroll? It would really be helpful for me if YOU would read it."

The man looked at Clyde, looked at the scroll, back to Clyde... Unsure... Uncertainty... He would not do it... But then he did, though his eyes were narrowed, he took the scroll.

"Why do you need me to? What, you cannot read?"

Clyde just smiled at the man, and shrugged. "I promise all will make sense once you read it."

The man gingerly opened the scroll, holding it away from his face, like he thought some dust or poison would poof out as he opened it. But seeing it open and nothing happening, he brought the scroll up to his face to read. The moment his eyes focused on the words on the page, before he could read as much as a single syllable, a poof of air blasted out of the back of the scroll, and at the same time the entire scroll crumbled to dust.

"What the petch man! What was that about!"

Clyde smiled at the man, but narrowed his eyes.

"Oh, just testing a bit of magic. This here is my lab, and my home. The home in front of which you were working. And if you should attempt to do such a thing in front of my home again, I promise you the spell unleashed on you will not be a puff of air. Do I make myself clear? A mage is not one to be tested."

The man looked unsure for a moment, but then turned and darted off. Clyde hoped his words had scared the man off, he did not want to go through all the fuss of dealing with him again.

With that, he headed back inside. It appeared his test had worked perfectly, and so he called for Rye to follow, and headed back to his lab. On to other ideas. But for now, he was happy this one theory had proven correct.
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Verilian on September 9th, 2013, 9:55 pm

Thread Award

Clyde Sullins

• +3 Logic
  • +1 Glyphing
  • +1 Observation
  • +1 Intimidation

You Question My Logic? :
If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Lores: Glyphing Technique: Sealed Scroll

Notes: Great thread! I love reading people inventing new and creative ways to use magic. As always, keep writing!

Notice

As per the request of the Founders, threads cannot be graded unless your CS is up to date. This means you need to add threads to your thread list when you make new threads, keep your skills up to date, ledger, living expenses, ect. If you aren't up to date, you'll get a PM from me before i grade your thread. If you are up to date, disregard this notice.
Forecast for tonight... Dark
-----
Wind Reach---Wind Reach Lore---WR Request Thread
Verilian
Retired Staff

Words: 1113582
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:53 pm
Race: Staff account
Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)