Quest Divining Joy

Xylona discovers the Alheas Crone

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Divining Joy

Postby Elysium on July 3rd, 2013, 9:14 pm

e
The prismflies were out in force, seduced by the radiant heat of summertime. Their shuddering bodies cast rainbows in every direction, bathing the park in an eldritch glow. Syna gave her last glimmer before sinking earnestly beneath the horizon, twilight changing hands to dusk. The weather was absolutely lovely, the air warm and dry with no hazard of rain above. It was perfect for a walk through Alheas and fortunate indeed, for there were more than just insects afoot.

Cala lounged carelessly in naked feet upon her cottage’s front porch. Smoke listed from her pipe, curling up and out toward the bowl of the heavens. She’d spent a great deal of time that day hunting and sunbathing, two of her favorite activities. It was a good season to be Dhani, despite the cold mountain air. Summer was pleasant and warm most of the time, aside from the occasional downpour.

She’d been absently sensing the girl’s chavi for some time now. Cala was more or less perpetually walking the Chavena, sifting through fate’s brightly colored strands. There was one that crept closer still with each passing day, a bright weave of lush forest and marbled cream. The flashing impressions grew into visions and at the onset of summer, she’d all but learned the girl’s true name. Young and an orphan, but furthermore, her potential successor. It struck Cala as odd that Avalis might choose a human over the more enduring races, like her Konti or the Ethaefal. She was too old however, to question it.

Footfalls echoed in the distance, the racket carrying for miles. Someone was certainly on the approach and with a subtle exhalation, she lost herself in the corona between heaven and earth. There it was, a tapestry of pain and loss mingled with typical human success and failure. Yet potential was there alright. The seed of Avalis’ sight twisted itself in vines around Xylona’s heart. A little girl with a deck of cards. A laughing, joyous family. Rapid change, deep sorrow. Loneliness and despair. Images flooded her age-old brain, inundating her with impressions.

A cracking twig woke her to reality. It was time.

”Greetings, child. You’ve come at last.” She dragged the pipe from her lips, the resulting aroma earthen and rich. ”You have chosen your path this night.” Her voice was a rasping, sibilant whisper.

e
Elysium
Never venture, never win.

Words: 519270
Joined roleplay: December 12th, 2012, 9:49 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Artist (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Divining Joy

Postby Xylona Redwater on July 4th, 2013, 8:05 pm

The warm Summer air had made beautiful weather throughout the day and promised to be an even better night as the sun sank into it's resting place below the horizon. Xylona ignored the slowly fading light and continued to trek on into the wilderness, her only goal being to go deeper than she had the day before.

By the time she had reached her goal, however, she was too spell-bound by the beauty of nature to realize it. She gaped in unabashed awe at trees with flowers and leaves spotting their tops like elegant dressings or moths flitting about without rush or worry. Vine-like plants crawled across the ground from tree to tree, searching for a chance to witness the sun's setting while multi-colored mushrooms adorned each fallen member of the forest.

Silence had been surrounding her for her entire visit in these wilds, the only break being the occasional birdsong or snapping twig. This fact added to her shock when she heard the brittle voice that jarred her from her trance. Xylona whirled around to find a run-down cottage sitting not twenty paces from her. Outside, an old woman sat happily, smoking and whispering of destiny. The woman spoke as though as she loved Xylona already, even though Xylona was sure she had never seen her before. The entire scenario caused her a deep feeling of unease as questions battered her mind. Narrowing her eyes suspiciously, she addressed the woman with the pipe.

"I don't know who you are, but you'd better start talking real fast. Who are you and why are you living out here...alone?"

Despite the threat in her words, she found herself intrigued by this woman. Wisdom radiated from her like heat from a rock in the sun. She smelled of the earth and old wood, creating a homey smell that only aroused Xylona's curiosity more. Without thinking, she felt her feet move beneath her, drawing her closer to the shack. Pushing for answers, Xylona inclined her head and spoke again, this time diminutively less aggressive.

"What is this about 'choosing my path this night'? My path to what?"

Xylona Redwater
Player

Words: 29835
Joined roleplay: May 26th, 2013, 12:36 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Divining Joy

Postby Elysium on July 7th, 2013, 1:55 pm

e
”The path to Lhex, child.” Cala inhaled again, more deeply this time. The curling tendrils of smoke wreathed her face. Her apprentice was already proving to be a handful. ”You are filled with questions,” she said, quietly unleashing true auristic sight. The passive spectrum burned suddenly brighter, subtly giving way to more profound impressions. A welter of confused emotions seemed to ripple through Xylona: curiosity, suspicion, anger, and… Faith. The unmistakable flash of white caught her eyes, buried at the center of her otherwise jaded heart.

”Do not fear me.” The Dhani rose, though she made no indication of approach. ”I am not your enemy. I am but a humble fortune-teller, living in these woods. They call me the Alheas Crone,” she bowed to her new companion. ”My name is Cala.” She tapped the tip of her nose knowingly, pondering where to begin. This one would require a great deal of finesse, were she not to storm out on the very first day. The anger in Xylona’s aura was thick and dark like a shield, clouded with bitterness and regret.

”I only appear when I wish to be seen,” she continued, looking out toward the surrounding trees. ”And I’m never in the same place twice. But I’d be more than willing to read your fortune, if you’d be willing to truly hear it.” She scrutinized her appearance, briefly. Not well dressed, but not shabby. It could be inferred that her current life was a comfortable one… But Xylona’s chavi spoke differently. She was lacking something, though material possessions were not what came to mind.

It was love.

Love was not something Cala could necessarily offer, though she felt it in her heart. Cala was Dhani, a serpent. Her love was expressed through the offer of food or guidance. Simple things. She could not nurture like a human mother could. But for this apprentice of hers, she would try.

”Come inside,” she murmured, gesturing to the door.

e
Elysium
Never venture, never win.

Words: 519270
Joined roleplay: December 12th, 2012, 9:49 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Artist (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Divining Joy

Postby Xylona Redwater on July 18th, 2013, 8:48 pm

Cala, the Alheas Crone, a fortune teller form the woods. This was not the story of a liar. Liars made up believable stories, and Cala's story was far from believable. A house which only appeared when the owner wished? A fortune-teller who never appeared in the same place twice? How was she to be found by clients? This was too absurd to be a lie, therefore, it must be the truth.

When Cala gestured to come inside, Xylona took hesitant steps forward. To have her fortune told did sound enticing. Perhaps she could learn something from this kindly old woman. Before she entered though, Xylona felt compelled to do one last thing. Xylona stared, trying to see something that wasn't quite there. Her eyes zoomed in and out of focus before finally settling on a space in between. Once the faint outline of an aura formed, she was able to catch glimpses of information. No fact stood out so much to Xylona as the woman's race.

Her eyes snapped back, the aura disappearing like a wisp of smoke. She bit her lip to hide the involuntary gasp. A Dhani! Curiosity nibbled harder than ever at the back of her mind. Xylona had never seen a Dhani, much less been welcomed into one's home. Though the stories were horrid, this woman could not possibly be as terrible as they said. After all, she hadn't attacked yet.

Gripping the edge of her cloak out of habit, Xylona slipped through the doorway. In her typically rough voice, she added,
"I would love to hear my fortune. Thank you, Cala."

Xylona Redwater
Player

Words: 29835
Joined roleplay: May 26th, 2013, 12:36 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Divining Joy

Postby Brandon Blackwing on July 26th, 2014, 12:17 pm

Xylona Redwater

XP Award:
  • Observation +2
  • Socialization +2
  • Auristics +1
  • Deduction +1

Lore:
  • Lhavit: Alheas Park
  • Lhavit: The Lonely Shack
  • Cala: Alheas Crone
  • Being invited by a Dhani
  • Lies are believable, the truth is absurd

Notes:
Too bad this wasn’t finished…. This could have been quite interesting…..

Please edit or delete your request in the request thread.
Comments, questions or concerns regarding your grade? Pm me.

Fighting Style and Techniques

Credit for this awesome sig goes to Estrellir Konrath
Brandon Blackwing
The master thief Incognito

Words: 1496963
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2013, 3:24 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)