[Harrier's SB] A little birdy told me

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Harrier on July 14th, 2013, 4:30 pm

Hallo friends and mizahar neighbors, I'm Laura (aka Harrier/Lavira/Delani/Yonega) and I figured maybe it's time to put one of these up. I'm gonna take a note from some of the others I've browsed and give a run down on who I am and what I do.

Name: Laura
Sex: WOman
Location: Boondocks (aka Arkansas; seriously, nobody's ever from or near here...I may as well live in the middle of nowhere)
Likes: Like quite a few here in Miz, I'm an animal advocate. This probably stems from the fact that I'm a private dog trainer in real life and preach to my clients the importance of animal welfare, spaying and neutering their companion animals, and being the voice for those that have none. You will probably hear me talk a lot about animals as a result. Besides that, I love to sing (but I'm terribly shy about it :( ) and if you ask really really nicely I MIGHT sing. No rap. I'm partial to slower songs, sweet melodies, and musicals.
Occupation: Salad technician and part time private dog trainer. What the first means is I do a little bit of everything in my area at one of the hospitals in my area. I cut tomatoes and onions, make pizza mix, make salads, prep the cafeteria salad bar, do patient food cold orders (anything that doesn't need to be cooked basically), and, well...whatever else my boss asks me to do! As for the PDT, I work in clients homes with their canine companion and the family, teaching them useful techniques to help resolve the problems they may be having. I typically do as-needed lessons, but do offer courses that last anywhere from 3 to 12 sessions (typically one hour each). It's good money when I get clients, but it's hard competing with chain stores and other more established trainers. It is with animals that I really long to work and am making slow progress in getting out of the food industry. I have quite a bit of experience in animal husbandry for my age, having worked on a volunteer basis at the Little Rock Zoo for nearly five years before going to college for a herpetology degree (unfortunately had to drop out due to life problems occurring); that was followed by almost three years working paid at a research facility, taking care of mice, rats, rabbits, and even pigeons that were being used for medical and behavioral research. That's a hard job that is REALLY misunderstood. Maybe I'll do a vlog on that. Anyways, following that I got into dog training at Petco where I had to quit due to the cruelty of not just people but the pets they sold; I'd already filed numerous reports to the corporate office but nothing was ever done about it. Needless to say, I no longer shop at that location (other locations were not as bad so don't mistake that one locations problems as a company wide thing).

I might occassionally talk about my PCs in here and things that're goin down on them, but I would much rather make this a place that I can discuss the things I love: animals and my family. In time, you may get to see pics of the kids, or hear me talk about what new thing the baby or toddler are doing now, but mostly it'll be about animals.

Videos would likely be few and far between because my house is just not conducive for that kind of thing. A baby, a dog, and a three year old just don't work when it comes to making vids. I'd have to vlog when the kids are with their grandparents.

So! Here's a short-list of topics I will at one point or another talk about; which would any of you like to read about or listen to first?

-The joys of working at a hospital kitchen
-It's not DOG training, it's PEOPLE training.
-Animal behavior and common interpretation errors.
-Cooking with kids
-Animal Welfare vs. Animal Rights
-BSL (Breed Specific Legislations) and its effects on the community.
-Boondock Weather
-Animal Research: Good or bad?
-Canine Education: Maybe I can help!

Okay, so some of the above are a bit political, so I'm laying down the law for this SB: if you want to hear about a topic, but your opinion differs from mine, be civil about what argument you present. I like research when facing possible arguments (not the yelling thrashing killyouall kind, I'm talking adult debate-arguments), and being on the internet, there's a ton of info we can back each other up with. Just remember, please keep it civil and friendly. If I sense you're trying to instigate something in topic-requests, I'm not going to do it.

PS: I'm horrible at coding and too shy to ask for anything to prettify this so it may well remain somewhat bland looking :(
Harrier
Harrier than you

Words: 365904
Joined roleplay: June 25th, 2013, 9:07 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Journal

Postby Harrier on August 1st, 2013, 8:03 pm

Completely un-animal related post as follows

So, when I had my daughter about three weeks ago, I took a fall in the hospital (I'll save you the embarassing details of how I fell, though it's really quite funny). A few days after release, my knee began to give me some problems so I called Ortho for an appointment.

Things're goin so swell, right? Except for the knee problem, of course, but hey! Who cares about a lil trouble going up and down stairs and twisting or shaking the leg suddenly, nobody needs to do that anyways, lol. Sarcasm aside, they sent me to x-ray and have scheduled an MRI for sometime in the next 14 days or so, probably more, but I'm probably going to have to have surgery. Yay! I'll post pics if I have to. I've always been fascinated by certain medical procedures, and surgery is one of them o..o

Diagnosis: Torn medial and lateral meniscus.
MRI Pending
x
Harrier
Harrier than you

Office
Scrapbook
Journal

Postby Harrier on September 18th, 2013, 2:36 am

Did you know I dislike spiders?

Not to condemn ye olde Syms, but I really, really dislike spiders.

I dislike them so much that while driving home in the car with dad because my POS car broke down /again/ and discussing what could possibly be causing it this time, I slammed my wrist against the window and got a really ugly bruise. Why, you might ask?

Because this happened to be moseying along my arm.

I really dislike spiders.
x

(c) Phoenix
Harrier
Harrier than you

Office
Scrapbook
Journal

Postby Radiant on September 30th, 2013, 11:14 am

*Creeps in, leaves a glowing letter*

Super badass bird of prey Avatar, Harri!

P.S: What about snakes? Do you like snakes?

*Creeps out*
Radiant
Sailor Radiant

Words: 781936
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2013, 1:39 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Harrier on October 1st, 2013, 1:53 am

e
Personally? I adore snakes!

I worked as a volunteer at our local zoo for some four years in the reptile department, feeding and caring for all kinds of herps.

e

(C)Elysium
Harrier
Harrier than you

Office
Scrapbook
Journal

Postby Edreina on October 1st, 2013, 5:13 am

I can't believe I haven't hopped into your SB before! Or known that you had a baby o.o Belated congratulations?

Oh, and I've always been looking for an excuse to use this box. ;) Have some sexy. Haha!
Edreina
Unbound

Words: 1079180
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2013, 1:40 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Lore Author (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Harrier on October 1st, 2013, 2:55 pm

I have not one but TWO kids, Edry, two! Mwahaha!

Little devils that they are. My son just turned three, too, though he only had a lil shindig at McD's and I was sick for the whole thing. Still am :( Hate stomach flu.

(c) Absy
Harrier
Harrier than you

Office
Scrapbook
Journal

Postby Harrier on October 2nd, 2013, 11:44 pm

So I was actually just browsing some of my League of Legends subs when this random one appeared on my list!

Now, obviously some stuff in there is not Miz pertinent, but it provides a pleasant glimpse into the challenges of falconing with both trained and untrained birds and a glimpse of some of the tools you may see.

If ever you find yourself wondering how to go about things, youtube is a great reference (though not something that should be taken immediately to heart.

(c) Absy
Harrier
Harrier than you

Office
Scrapbook
Journal

Postby Harrier on October 6th, 2013, 12:05 am

What would you do with sand that you didn't need a sandbox for?

Die happy.

Enjoy!

(c) Absy
Harrier
Harrier than you

Office
Scrapbook
Journal

Postby Taylani on October 6th, 2013, 12:13 am

HA! Welcome to the MWHS (Mothers who hate spiders) club ;) Course in my house I am the spider killer as my my 6 foot tall husband squeals like a little girl when he sees one ;)
Taylani
Captivated

Words: 541241
Joined roleplay: September 7th, 2013, 4:41 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Next