Quest Plotting to Overthrow the King (Sevris)

Sevris is invited to a secret meeting, one that will decide the fate of a member of his family.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Plotting to Overthrow the King (Sevris)

Postby Verilian on July 19th, 2013, 7:15 pm

Lazerin

vs

Gru'tral

Plotting to Overthrow the King

Timestamp: 31st of Summer, 513 AV

It was rather unusual for an elder of the family to request an audience with one of the younger ones. Normally things were the other way around, but not this particular day. Sevris was at home when the knock on the door came. It was a slave, and the slave had a message for him.

"Master Sevris," the slave said, somewhat cautiously, as it was always a good idea to be cautious when disturbing a Lazerin in whatever they did at home, "I have a message for you. Master Thadeus requests your presence in his office.. at the Institute of Higher Learning, for a private meeting. He did not tell me anything else, but only that you come as soon as is convenient."

Assuming that Sevris had no other demands, the slave would quickly depart. No slave in their right mind would linger around their master if they belonged to the Lazerin family, that was just asking for a beating. Unless of course the master demanded it.

The Institute of Higher Learning was only a short ravosala ride away from the Lazerin household. Thadeus' office was near the back of the building, on the second floor. It was a small room, quaint, like one might expect an old professor to have as an office. Probably because Thadeus was indeed an old professor. The mage was not in the room when Sevris arrived, but there were two others. Miriam, a young but ambitious non-blooded member of the Lazerin family. She had been brought into the fold, but never actually married. And there was also an older man that Sevris would recognize as Darrel. Darrel was one of Sevris uncles, in fact, though he had never been considered anybody of import within the family. He always kept to himself, and though he was a commander in the Ebonstryfe, he had yet to make a name for himself in his twenty years of service.

"Does anyone have any idea what we're doing here?" Miriam asked when Sevris came in.
Forecast for tonight... Dark
-----
Wind Reach---Wind Reach Lore---WR Request Thread
Verilian
Retired Staff

Words: 1113582
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:53 pm
Race: Staff account
Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Sevris on July 20th, 2013, 1:20 am

Sevris had been enjoying his duty free evening from his Ebonstryfe duties. He had been plotting more ways to worm out the Rising Dawn as he usually did in his relax time. When he heard a knock on his door. Apparently one their slaves had been sent to fetch him. The man was ever so cautious with him, with good reason. Sevris had been disturbed and he might have taken it out on the unsuspecting slave. Unless the news was of importance.

Which it was. The slave reported, "I have a message for you. Master Thadeus requests your presence in his office.. at the Institute of Higher Learning, for a private meeting. He did not tell me anything else, but only that you come as soon as is convenient."

Sevris stunned by the summon dismissed the slave without berating him for bothering him. Thaedus has called for me? Something amiss. He felt it ever since his run in with the Yukmen in wild. His supposed planned death.

He had not spoken about it, as they would not care. Unless it pertained too a greater audience and if he had proof. Either way, it was time to move. Tying his short white into a small ponytail. He made his way to the Institute of Higher Learning. It was but a short and uneventful ride as he took the ravosala for a speedy journey.

Within the time he was making his way through the Institute towards the back of the building where Thaedus office lay. He entered the room and was immediately greeted by two other people. His uncle, Commander Darrel, stood looking at him as he came in. To his other side a woman he knew as Miriam. Though not blood, she was still family without marriage.

She looked to Sevris who showed a curious expression towards the two. Miriam then said, "Does anyone have any idea what we're doing here?"

Sevris replied simply, "Your guess is as good as mine."

Darrel gave a quick shrug showing he didn't know either.

"I guess we have to wait for our host."
Sevris
Loyal Soldier

Words: 187865
Joined roleplay: July 24th, 2012, 5:26 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Verilian on August 6th, 2013, 4:10 pm

Sevris and the others would not have to wait long. As soon as the young Lazarin made himself comfortable, Thadeus arrived. He was dressed in his usual black robes, choosing the lighter weight and loose fitting garb over the traditional armor that a member of the Ebonstryfe might wear. Thadeus was a paladin, but he was not a combatant. Not usually, anyway.

"Ah, good, you're all here. We can get started then. I assume we all know, or are at least familiar with each other, so I will skip introductions. I've called you here, frankly, because you are expendable."

Thadeus paused, the hint of a cruel smile tugging on the corners of his lips. His words caused Miriam to shift uncomfortably, and Darrel to clear his throat, but a raised hand from Thadeus silenced them both before they could say anything. Assuming that Sevris did not interrupt either, Thadeus would continue.

"I've also chosen you three because I believe you are loyal.. to our patriach, Lazerin. There are some, however, who are not. I have a mission for you all. You can work together, or separately, it does not matter. I say you are expendable because there is a good chance you will die, and because it is true.. but if you succeed, your worth will be proven a hundred times over. As you know, Lazerin wishes to replaced the Ebonlord Gru'tral as the leader of the Ebonstryfe, but there are those even within our own family that oppose him."

"Ansel, Marshall, a Lazarin, and head of Gru'tral's mage hunters. He has defied Lazerin and chosen to support Gru'tral. We cannot strike against him openly, for he has technically done nothing wrong. But Lazerin wants him dead. That is where you three come in. I don't care how you do it, but Ansel must die. If you fail, you will either be dead, or you will be marked a defector and killed anyway. If you succeed, even if you are caught, Lazerin will protect you. So, what say you all?"
-----
Verilian
Retired Staff

Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Sevris on August 12th, 2013, 6:11 am

No sooner had Sevris answered Miriam did the Paladin strode in looking important with his black robes clad over his armor. Despite him not being a warrior he could certainly be a force to be reckoned with. A powerful mage possibly taught the works by Lazerin himself. He began to explain why they were invited there.

Also quickly getting a incredulous scowl on his face after saying that they were expendable. But he bit his tongue, because he knew he was right. They wer expendable. The only way not to be was to prove that you weren't. However the extent at which they had to prove otherwise, might be deeper than he originally thought. Apparently there was a traitor among them in this coup for the city. Family at that.

"Ansel, Marshall, a Lazarin, and head of Gru'tral's mage hunters. He has defied Lazerin and chosen to support Gru'tral. We cannot strike against him openly, for he has technically done nothing wrong. But Lazerin wants him dead. That is where you three come in. I don't care how you do it, but Ansel must die. If you fail, you will either be dead, or you will be marked a defector and killed anyway. If you succeed, even if you are caught, Lazerin will protect you. So, what say you all?"

Sevris didn't say anything the first few moments neither did the other two. But he was the first to speak after he fully digested what Thadeus implicated. "I will do what I must so that the Lazarin name is purified. Ansel has defiled it with his alliance with Gru'tral. He must die. We should work together. As I have heard that Ansel is quite deadly."

Miriam on the other hand was still shocked. Darrel also as well, but it looked like they were also in on it.
Sevris
Loyal Soldier

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Verilian on September 11th, 2013, 2:43 pm

I'll be honest," Darrel said, speaking up next after Sevris, "But this sounds like a suicide mission. Still.. if Lazerin commands it, then I will do it."

Miriam did not speak, but simply nodded her agreement with the other two. After everybody spoke their peace, or chose not to, Thadeus went right into business. The mage already knew of two ways that Ansel might be killed, though both would require completely different tactics. The first was a straightforward assault on the mage hunter and his part outside the city. Ansel and a pair of his mage hunters were supposedly heading out on a mission to capture a runaway mage that Gru'tral wanted brought back. The trio could ambush him and slay him there.

Another opportunity to take the man out was at a private party he was said to have been invited to. It was a small affair, but Thadeus had a way for them to sneak in, and if they chose to take that route, he would use it. Either way, it had the potential to turn into an all out fight, but Thadeus could see no other alternatives. Most of the time Ansel was either near the Ebonlord himself, or he was with his full contingent of paladins, and neither situation was optimal for an attack.

There were other ways it could likely be done. Poison, a stealthy attack while the mage hunter left. But Thadeus did not suggest those himself. He wanted to see what the group thought of his proposed ideas first, before delving into other possible scenarios.
-----
Verilian
Retired Staff

Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Sevris on September 12th, 2013, 12:01 am

Sevris nodded and let his mind brainstorm the possible avenues given to them by Thadeus. Each one of the possible ways left it hard to pinpoint him by himself. Seeing as Ansel was a Marshall usually surrounded by Paladins or his Mage hunters, it would be a challenge. But the first scenario appealed most to Sevris.

After Thadeus finished his piece. The Lazarin already had a plan in mind, "I would personally be going for him outside the city. It would be troublesome if he were to escape our grasps and risk reinforcements. This is how we should do it. One of us can pretend that we are the mage that they are looking for. We can lure them into a disclosed location and commit and ambush them.

However surprise should be our deadliest weapon. So if we can get one of us to be in Ansels party as well. We could kill the lackeys within seconds. We would be upon them without them standing a chance. Sounds doable?"

Sevris gave a pretty barren description of what he intended. He felt that since they had yet to declare their allegiance to Lazerin specifically. It could be said that Sevris, or Miriam or Darrel wanted to be in the party for experience. He felt the former would work better since he was just a Soldier on the rise.
Sevris
Loyal Soldier

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Verilian on September 25th, 2013, 2:29 pm

Thadeus nodded, as did the others. They were all in agreement, the wilderness attack was the best possible choice. Getting one of the three into the party would not be difficult either, according to Thadeus. If Sevris wanted to come along, all he would have to do was say that he had seen which way the mage had gone and lead them out to the ambush.

Thadeus dismissed the conspirators, with promise that he would contact them soon. Word was put out that Sevris had information regarding the mage Ansel was hunting. It was not long before Sevris was summoned to the mage hunter's chambers.

Ansel was an intimidating man. His cruelty was a perfect example of why the Lazarin family as a whole was feared by much of Ravok. He was a mage hunter, but beyond that it was said he often tortured them for hours before turning them over to his master, the Ebonlord Gru'tral. When Sevris arrived Ansel was quick and to the point.

"I've been told you have information for me regarding the mage, Thallorn. If this is true, give it to me now. He is a criminal and must be captured immediately."

OOCFeel free to make something up.
-----
Verilian
Retired Staff

Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Sevris on September 25th, 2013, 3:50 pm

Ansel looked at Sevris with eyes that seemed to stare through him. He was pretty sure that was how he treated most people below rather they be family or not. Sevris could take that in stride. It made planning his assassination without any type of remorse. However he was in the thick of it and Ansel demaned information regarding the mage Thallorn.

Sevris picked a page out of his fathers book, a silver-tongue in his own right. He said, "Sir Ansel. I have eyes scattered every who said they saw the man fitting your description. He escaped somewhere in the wilderness, but my men have tracked him down to a location. They did not approach him less he be a powerful mage, and be incinerated. Only yourself and your aids were suited for this."

Sevris already had the location they were supposed too meet. He had Darren pretend he would be stopping for rest so that their victims would be at ease when they approached. Dressed in a cloak to cover his face the trap was set.
Already armed to the teeth with all he needed to battle Ansel."Shall we leave soon. I can lead you there quickly but we must make haste. It has been some type since I recieved this intel on Thallorn."

Leading Ansel his aids to their death would be pleasurable at best. Long live Lazarin.
Sevris
Loyal Soldier

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Verilian on September 27th, 2013, 5:18 pm

"It's a good thing you came to me first, else you and your men would be in the void right now. Lead me to him, there is no time to waste. Gru'tral is waiting, and the Ebonlord does not like to wait."

It did not take long for Ansel to gather the two paladins who would be coming along, and as soon as they were ready, the trio along with Sevris headed for the docks. The boat ride to the shore was silent and awkward, and not one of the paladins seemed interested in talking to a lowly soldier like Sevris. That was the way of things. Ansel's paladins were a close knit group working directly for the Ebonlord, they did not associate with people they deemed inferior, and Sevris had yet to prove himself. All in all, it probably made what was to come all that much easier for Sevris to do, since he would develop no emotional attachment to the three.

The walk to the appointed ambush spot took about four bells. They had made sure it was far away that nobody would hear a thing, and even if they somehow did, they would be too far away to arrive with help in time. Ansel and the paladins did not seem to expect any sort of betrayal, though they were on high alert from the mage. That meant that they were also on alert for surprise attacks, which was why it was up to Sevris to strike the first blow. Once the trio was distracted by him, the others could complete the ambush.
-----
Verilian
Retired Staff

Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Sevris on October 2nd, 2013, 7:16 am

The plan was not without holes. Ansel could annihilate them without a seconds notice if he caught on to the master plan. It was a fleeting thought that resurfaced as Sevris followed the paladins and Ansel through the wilderness. Following the coordinates given to him by the Soldier. They didn't take kindly to letting someone as low as him lead the way. A Soldier should remember his place one of the Paladins uttered as they brushed past him when he tried to take lead.

He actually wanted them to do so, for what would come next. As the Marshall pushed his little squad further and deeper towards the pre-determined destination. Beads of sweat began to grow on his brow when the area began to become more noticeable he moved a hand to his blade on his back.

It all fell on to him to initiate the attack. He cleared his mind and focused on the mission. Not only if he failed would it mean death, but not even Rhysol would save him. It was time.

The Lazarin calmly walked in between the two Paladins. Just as calmly he said, "Why did the two headed snake attack?" One of the Paladins looked over his shoulder slightly at him and then to the sky as if pondering an answer. Ansel did not care period. The other Paladin had a look of incredulity as if it was the dumbest question he had ever heard.

Neither one was prepared for the sharp movements of the double-bladed sword that whipped past them. In one movement Sevris pulled his weapon over him and twirled it above him as he did so many times in his kata. The side of one Paladins head slid off his body and hit the ground before he did. The other clutched wordlessly at his throat, his jugular had been severed by his serrated blade and he went down gurgling.

"Because I hold the fangs!" That was the cue phrase as Ansel turned around in shock to see Sevris's bloodied blade and dead Paladins. From peripheral eye view, he could see Miriam appear out of no where. As well Darren from the other side.

Ansel's face contorted in rage as his lost for words was only adding to the effect. "You treachery towards Lazerin did not go unnoticed Ansel." Sevris threatened with his heart nearly beating out of his chest. The Paladins had blood sprayed all over his hair and face.

The true Lazarin would slay the outlaw reject child. He had to. He readied himself to kill Ansel with his blade held in front of him. There was no going back now.
Sevris
Loyal Soldier

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Trailblazer (1)

Next