Closed [Sullin's Residence]Mages make Magic[Wrenmae]

Clyde and Wrenmae end up meeting and discussing magic

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

[Sullin's Residence]Mages make Magic[Wrenmae]

Postby Clyde Sullins on August 1st, 2013, 2:02 am

8 Summer 513

Yesterday had been a long day for Clyde, he had gazed deeply into the aura of a enchanted item, much deeper than he ever had before. And while he was not exhausted physically as he was after a heavy Reimancy session, for awhile mentally he had just felt wiped.

As soon as he had finished with things there, he had headed home, and went to bed, stopping only for a drink of water, and a short snack.

Now he was up, feeling refreshed, mentally active, ready to take on the day. So were was he? In his lab of course.

Clyde was simply puttering, looking at various things, making sure all of his Magecrafting tools were in order and in good repair. He took a chime to examine the stone pedestal in the middle of the room, were items would be placed when enchanting them, and then went to sit at his desk.

Going into his pack, he took out a blank book he had been meaning to fill in for a long time. But what about? Reimancy? Glyphing? His theory on magic or Magics or their interconnectedness, in particular the interconnectedness of World Magics?

He could not decide, and as he sat in the chair at his desk in his lab, he pondered what he should write about...
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Wrenmae on August 2nd, 2013, 10:57 pm

Wren hadn't let Clyde's invitation age long. The day after the investigation, he was strolling down the many cobblestone streets of Ravok, overlooking the dark canals and following the succinct directions the other mage had given him. While, ordinarily, he'd steer clear of most mages simply to avoid entanglement in dramatic events, the other mage had interested him.

It did not take much asking to find that Clyde had made a name for himself around Ravok. Although not many knew the extents of his talents, he was regarded as a dangerous man. Most dangerous magic he'd run into took the form of reimancy. Now, that didn't mean he could rule Projection and Voiding out, but reimacny was the most common of the feared magic.

He found himself in front of Clyde's door eventually, rapping against it with the outside of his hand twice before pushing it open. The interior wasn't anything radical. Living quarters, other doors. He appraised it with careful consideration. The lack of scorch marks or damage suggested he didn't practice much of his craft indoors and the sounds from behind one of the doors in his dwelling suggested his presence.

Wrenmae repeated the process from the first door, rapping against the door with his knuckles.

"Clyde? Your front door was unlocked so I showed myself in. Is this a good time to take you up on your discussion?"

Sig by Shausha

This PC has the Blight gnosis. As such, you as a player need to be aware of what that consists of. Wrenmae has an invisible aura that amplifies sickness and disease. Wounds may become infected, small sneezes may become coughing, and a slight fever may become more serious. A nuit's body will also break down faster in the presence of the Blight. These effects may not be immediate, but within the few days following your encounter, the symptoms will manifest. Some sooner than others. I cannot control your character, so creativity will be left up to you. Best wishes and stay healthy!

Special shoutout to Fallon for my new CS
Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Words: 1276299
Joined roleplay: April 15th, 2011, 6:34 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Clyde Sullins on August 2nd, 2013, 11:32 pm

Clyde was deep in thought, as he heard a knock at the door. Right away Rye let out a loud bark, and turned to face the door.

"Quiet Rye", Clyde said to the dog, before heading to unlock the door and see who was there.

However this was soon answered as he heard a familiar voice, of Wrenmae, the mage he had met just recently. He had invited him to come see him, but did not expect him to come the next day. But, come he had, so he would need to meet him now. Even if it was sooner than he expected it to be.

He unlocked and opened the door, to see Wrenmae, standing before him.

"Hello. I was not quite expecting you so soon. But come in, come in, this is my lab were I do most of my work."

Clyde was unsure if he had mentioned that he was a Magecrafter, though to anyone who knew of the craft it would be obvious. After all, not many magics called for a stone pedestal taking up the center of the room. It was of course to place the item when enchanting it, and to isolate it during the process. It also made it easier to ensconce it in barrier Glyphs, and other protections.
He headed across the stone floor of the lab, to grab the stool at the lab table to sit upon, and gestured for Wrenmae to take the chair over by the writing desk.

"Go ahead, sit down, sit down. Rye, sit, quiet." He said the last bit as Rye had begun to growl a bit at Wrenmae, and was glaring at him. Rye would stop growling, and plop down to sit beside were Clyde stopped with the stool. He still eyed Wrenmae, who was near his master, but made no motions towards him.

"So, what do you want to talk about? Magics obviously. Though come to think of it, I don't even know what kind of mage you are, beyond that you do Malediction. If you did not recognize by my lab, or did not overhear it before, I am a Magecrafter. That's what this lab is made specially for. Though it works well enough for Glyphing to."
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Wrenmae on August 2nd, 2013, 11:50 pm

"Magecrafting, Auristics, Glyphing...and reimancy perhaps? If I have my sources correct that is." Wrenmae took a seat and folded his hands over his lap. "You're quite the impressive mage, Mr. Sullins...or so I've been told. This lab certainly doesn't suggest contrary to that."

Magecraft, similar but perhaps superior to Malediction...or so he had heard. Honestly the subtleties and the exact nature of the craft was not his specialty. It wasn't hard to observe the setup of the lab, similar to some he'd seen in Sahova. It seemed that much like Alchemy, Magecraft took up both room, materials, and time.

He eyed the dog for a moment, tempted to calm the beast with a pulse of hypnotism...but if Clyde knew what that art was, he'd risk overplaying his hand. Of all the magics he possessed, hypnotism was one he kept the closest to his heart. It was a magic that suggested, even mandated instant distrust. He'd almost overplayed it on Inoadar...and the results of that may haunt him later.

"I am hardly as impressive a mage as yourself," Wrenmae said with a smile, "I dabble in various arts, some of which should be familiar to you...glyphin, Auristics, Malediction..." He paused, knotting his fingers together, "To be honest, I have some basics in shielding and Alchemy, but I haven't had much cause to further either." Calmly he held Clyde's eyes with his own, "Oh...yes, and I also pursue Reimancy and Voiding." Both of those were safe to say. None were a particular strong suite of his and obscuring too much would give the mage too much ample time to guess that he was hiding something. As for all mages, keeping secrets was their livliehood. Although it wasn't exactly difficult to learn magic with the right tools, the mages themselves tended to be a strange order of insanity and paranoia.

He smiled.

"Do you have any other magical arts you pursue, Mr. Sullins? Or are you mostly a Magecrafter by trade?"

Sig by Shausha

This PC has the Blight gnosis. As such, you as a player need to be aware of what that consists of. Wrenmae has an invisible aura that amplifies sickness and disease. Wounds may become infected, small sneezes may become coughing, and a slight fever may become more serious. A nuit's body will also break down faster in the presence of the Blight. These effects may not be immediate, but within the few days following your encounter, the symptoms will manifest. Some sooner than others. I cannot control your character, so creativity will be left up to you. Best wishes and stay healthy!

Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Clyde Sullins on August 3rd, 2013, 12:23 am

Clyde listened as Wrenmae listed off the magics he studied, so far so good. He then went on to say he had heard of him, as being a powerful mage. He even complimented him upon his lab, which made a small smile come over his face. It had taken awhile to get it, but he finally had.

"Yes, I do know all of those magics. And I have actually only recently acquired this place, have not even yet had it a full year. Just a few seasons. I plan to break it in later this season, making something with Magecrafting. I suppose such a item I plan might even interest you."

Clyde shook his head for a moment, but continued to smile, as Wrenmae downplayed his own skills. Somehow though, Clyde doubted it, he did not seem like he was a abysmal wizard with nothing but minor and petty powers. Especially after the way that poisoner had raved on him. Plus, powerful mages tended to have a air about them, which other ones could recognize. And its perception had nothing to do with magic or even Auristics. He doubted someone who had not delved as far into a magic as he had, would understand... But of course, he could be wrong... But his instinct said he was not. Even if he could put his finger upon nothing tangible.

He now rattled off his own magics, Glyphing and Auristics they had in common, Malediction they did not, he dabbled in Shielding and Alchemy, and had some skill in Reimancy and Voiding. He also had the last two, Reimancy and Voiding, along with a minor ability in Shielding not even worth mentioning.

Then the mage smiled once more at Clyde, asking more on what he studied. He responded in a kind neutral tone, that he often used when debating or discussing something, even enjoying himself a bit.

"Hmmm... Perhaps I am wrong Wrenmae, but you don't seem a lesser mage as you seem to want to convince me. I cannot imagine why that would be, what good could come from playing down your skills. And your rude poisoner friend, uhm... Morlock? Morley? Whatever his name was. He literally raved about them. I find it hard to believe he would be so easily cowed, to such an extent. Though admittedly, to non wizards, magic appears much more than it is."

"I suppose that is what magic is to non-mages, rumors and hearsay and overspoken powers. If we could do everything the common people seem to think and fear we could with magic, we would be equal to Gods. If only we were so omnipotent."

Clyde paused for a moment, a smile once more crossing his face at what he had said. Which was all to true. People seemed to think anything could be done with magic. And once someone stopped fearing you for being a mage, they invariably felt you should do more magic, and wanted to use your magic to their advantage and gain. Which made dealing with non-magical people a bit tiresome after awhile. If only other magics users were not magic users, he would get along fine with them! He sure as shyke could not be honest around mundane people.

"Yes, well I think my main magics are as you said, Reimancy, Glyphing, Magecrafting, Auristics. I also dabble a bit in Voiding and Spiritism, and know a few basics in Animation and Shielding. Though the last two my skills are so minor in, I find little point in mentioning them. Oh, and I am taking up Summoning, I recently decided. Though I don't know much on it yet."
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Wrenmae on August 12th, 2013, 9:55 pm

Both men stared across a small distance from each other. Wrenmae's smile did not falter, a small thing of barely upturned corners. Whether Clyde was correct about the mage downplaying his skills apparently would remain in question. As Clyde spoke, Wrenmae looked around the room, taking note of the setup, the design, everything. It was similar to an alchemy lab, albeit smaller than the ones he'd seen in Sahova.

Admittedly, he was impressed. This Clyde character was a shrewd man, a bit paranoid perhaps, and certainly young for his possession of such magics. Were prodigies so frequent these days...in the ruins of old Suvan and Alahea?

"I'm impressed," he admitted, crossing one leg over the other, "With everything you have here. I gather that Magecraft is a much more precise Maladiction...albeit perhaps with less remains and more durable materials?" He glanced around again and then steepled his fingers together on his lap. "The poisoner is not a magician...to him and to most, anything we do could be considered godlike. Can we not spin elements from only thought? Can we not turn bones into magical items? Can we not open portals in a realm of no return? Can we not see beyond the ken of an eye? It is no wonder that we were once ruled by the magical, the powerful...those who sacrificed the wellbeing of their minds and spirits on an altar of control."

He sighed.

"My knowledge of Summoning is likewise minimal...only that it can lead to another magical art known as familiary. But before we trade secrets, the you and I...I want to know you, or at least more of a measure of you."

He grinned, "Why are you a mage, Clyde? Why walk the path of self damnation? Is it power that motivates you? Is it a goal? What would you do with the power you possess? Do you control? Do you help? Sometimes we forget that almost anyone can be a mage...the measure of the man with the power is sometimes hard to ascertain, so I want to give you a chance to defend why you deserve to be a man with skills sometimes seen as godlike."

Wrenmae sat back, his smile ever slight, his eyes hungry. "Tell me, Clyde. Are you a monster or a hero?"

Sig by Shausha

Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Clyde Sullins on August 13th, 2013, 3:55 am

Clyde nodded to Wrenmae's first question, looking him in the eyes once more.

"Yes, Magecrafting is a very precise magic. But then, it is a different magic to Malediction, and meets a different need. But it is also not cheap, it is always very expensive, whereas I think finding materials for Malediction on average would be easier and less costly."

"But if you do the same setup, and the same steps, and do them a half dozen times, than each time you will end up with the same outcome, which I gather is a distinct difference from Malediction."

Once more Wrenmae continued onward, discussing the poisoner that they mutually knew, stating as he had thought before, that he was no magic user. True enough, that a non-mage could not understand magic... But the bit about sacraficing ones self for their magic... Clyde was a bit less certain about that. But then again, he was a drastically different person than he had been when he first learned magic. He was constantly in a state of flux. But then, he had been a mage since he was 5 years old, so some change was natural. So it was hard for him to say what he had lost or been altered by, whether it was due to magic, or time.

"If only we could spin magic from but thought, but I think we both know it is more costly than that, more than a gift upon a whim. Though yes, at times it can seem like that, so easy and natural, and it is then that it is the most tempting of all to cast and cast more..."

Clyde listened as Wrenmae spoke on. If he was not mistaken, he was asking him for his back story. Quite an odd thing to do, especially without offering the same in turn first. He apparently expected Clyde to go first.

Clyde simply grinned, leaned a bit forward, and began to speak, a smile on his face.

"You, my mage, make to many assumptions. And in our line of work, assumptions can get you killed. Did I leave that last sigil off? Did I recall that one lesson? Did I make that one alteration, that if not done will get me killed? You of all people should know better than to make assumptions."

Having said that, he leaned back on his seat, and let out a sigh, looking up at the ceiling for a chime, lost in thought. When he brought his gaze back down, his expression was a bit more forced, more strained.

"Whoever told you I chose to be a mage? I shall tell you a small secret, one which I believe I have only disclosed to one other... Who now that I think on it, died a few seasons ago... He was my previous apprentice. Regardless, I never chose to be a mage, it was forced upon me. I was initiated against my will, without any regard for my desire to do so. And knowing what I do now, I realize how lucky I was, to have survived being initiated into Reimancy when I was only five... I must have even from that time been strong in the ways of magic, for me to have survived it."

Clyde grinned for a moment, looking at the other man. The other mage. He continued to grin as he spoke, but as he progressed through his words it began to take on an odd quality to it...

"I never chose to be a mage, it was thrust upon me. And then for simply existing as I was forced to become, I became an outcast in my own city, a person whom they hated simply for existing. But then, how else do you expect Syliran's to respond to a Reimancer, even a child... I either grew strong, or I died, crushed under the hate that city cast at me. How do you define a monster, or a hero? Is it not different everywhere you go? I am simply walking along the path I was forced upon. For once you have already been soaked to the skin in the waters, why not dive in all the way, and just swim?"

"But from my perspective, I think I would see those Syliran's as monsters, for what they made, out of their hate for mages. A bit ironic I suppose..."
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Wrenmae on August 13th, 2013, 6:18 am

He blinked once, his fingers tensing for a moment when Clyde's tone turned strained. The difficulty in talking with a mage was that their own volatile natures betrayed them. He'd seem mages lash out before, mostly for small things...only sometimes with just cause. Inwardly, he pierced his own aura with a hypnotic sway, lulling his reactions down, calming himself. It would not do to be twitchy here. He didn't fully understand all the mage's capabilities and so a confrontation would be the worst possible outcome.

Instead he waited for Clyde to finish and nodded.

"I assumed nothing, Mr. Sullins, I apologize for giving you the impression I did. I meant what do you use your power for now. Five is..." He paused, looking down at his hands, "A terrible age to undergo the trial of a reimancer. I was thirteen when I underwent mine and the agony nearly killed me...for a child to survive such a harsh initiation, much less be subjected to it," He trailed off and offered a wispy smile.

"Well, I am glad you found the strength to survive and carry on, despite the adversity you faced. I found similar treatment in Alvadas...distrust, fear." He didn't elaborate it was because those close to him sickened. It was easier to leave it at common experience.

"Syliras is a place of bigotry...perhaps of the greatest hypocrisy I've ever seen. You seem to share my disdain for it, and I thank you for it...I've had enough experiences with the Syliran knights to leave me bitter for the rest of my days but..."

He sighed, leaning back into his chair, "I respond that a hero is something that is made from rumor and story, rarely as the result of pure actions. Long after you are dead, people will say things that were never true about you...that you ate children, used their blood for rituals, that you scoffed at Syliran gods...or that you were a savior and beyond reproach."

A faint smile, almost sad, "Legends are made with or without us, Clyde. We let history sort out if we were monsters or heroes, but our own goals and quests mean nothing when we are no longer around to defend them. All that you can do is leave behind a legacy that explains who you were, what you wanted, and make your achievements last."

He put out a hand to Clyde's hand, paused, and returned it to his lap.

"Perhaps I speak out of turn...a bit idealistic of me. I apologize for the outburst."

Sig by Shausha

Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Clyde Sullins on August 13th, 2013, 7:32 pm

Clyde gave Wrenmae a questioning glare, when he said he had been treated similarly. He was not aware Alvadas was so anti-magic, though now that he thought on it, he did not know much of the place. But he found it wrong somehow that another place could possibly be as against magic as Syliras, besides perhaps Sunberth. But then, he had never ventured out of Sylira...

"Yes, I don't like Syliras, for obvious reasons. But at least I came by it honestly, unlike half of the people in Ravok. They simply hate the city without even truly knowing it. For can you hate something, if you don't even understand it? Their hate is an empty emotion, with no fuel behind it but religious fervor... If Ravok changed its opinion of the city, as impossible as that would be to happen, they would all just as happily change to liking it. Because they do not really know or hate it."

Clyde however left unsaid some of his other reasons for hating the place... For him receiving his magic... For how he was treated for it... And then later, for it being the place were his magic was ripped from him...

"That is one thing about Ravok, it is honest about what it is, it does not pretend to be a bastion of righteousness and purity like Syliras. Which is is, on the surface... But festering just out of sight, they are just as amoral as Ravok is accused of being. But I would rather trust a liar who admits to his duplicitous nature, than to one that feigns honor and honesty for appearances."

Clyde listened for a bit, as Wrenmae told his view of hero's and monsters. He supposed he agreed to a point, such things were subjective, and only time would tell what you were seen as.

He actually smirked for a moment, as Wrenmae apologized, and shook his head.

"If all I wanted was a parrot to spout niceties and what they thought I wanted to hear, I would not have asked you here. I asked you to come, so we could speak candidly. Besides, I find a lively debate and argument to be fun, as long as it is in good spirits, and based on logic."

"So, I answered your question, of how I became a mage, not of my choosing but by force. Why then did you choose to become one? Or to use your words, to 'walk the path of self damnation?' Why did you learn magic and delve so deeply into them?"

Clyde had also said why he had done the latter, why he had delved so deep... Since as he said before, by his logic once you were already in the water, their was little harm in going a bit deeper, and fully subsuming yourself in magic and all its variety. Perhaps Wrenmae had a similar reasoning, or perhaps not.
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Wrenmae on January 17th, 2014, 7:18 pm

Steepling his fingers together, Wren nodded when Clyde spoke. He allowed the mage the time he needed to finish speaking, making no remarks other than to follow his words with slight physical gestures of understanding. When Clyde finally posed the question, Wrenmae considered it.

"Turning my own questions on me," He chuckled quietly, the charade of the lesser mage, the student, the supplicant, surprisingly easy for him to grasp, "Clever. Alright, Mr. Sullins. I'll indulge you." Pushing forward in his chair, almost conspiratorial in his motion, Wren caught Clyde's gaze with an earnest smile. "My father was a merchant who dabbled in the magical arts. He taught me Maladiction, as it was part of his craft to do so. I was young at the time, young enough to grasp magic without the fear that ordinarily perverts such things. I suppose I found it fascinating enough to pursue afterward."

He settled back and shrugged, "I do not have the same level of hatred for Syliras...as a child I looked up the Knights, enjoy the stories. I'm sure any city that considers itself the savior of all others could be a bit narrow-minded in their view, so I understand where you're coming from."

Holding up a hand, as if to ask Clyde let him continue, Wren took a moment to take a breath. "I pursue magic like I pursue all knowledge. There shouldn't be a limit places on the things a man can learn. The more knowledge we have, the better able we are to analyze it, link it, and form new opinions and ideas based upon them. The Valterrian took much of civilization from us...knocked us back on our asses in terms of enlightenment. It only stands to reason that if we are to grasp what we've lost, we cannot allow superstitions to cloud our need to understand."

Pausing for a moment to let that sink in, he offered another grin, "I don't suppose you'd be willing to teach someone like me the basics of Magecraft, would you?"

Sig by Shausha

Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Next