Completed Archery Training II

Roderick shares his knowledge with Kaie - the second half

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Stretching northward along the coastline of the Suvan Sea, the Cobalt Mountains are the home of the Bronze Wood, numerous ruins, and creatures both strange and fantastical.

Archery Training II

Postby Roderick on September 4th, 2013, 9:00 pm

"I might need to shoot straight within those few days you know," Kaie groaned, glaring angrily at the target in front of her.

The Myrian laid another arrow onto the string, then raised her arms, left bent slightly at the elbow, and kept her fingers relaxed as she drew; she was listening at the least. After only a moment of aiming she released the arrow and held herself in place as it made its way towards the target. The arrow went too high and scraped over the top of the target as it went. Kaie let her arms drop to her sides and growled angrily. An interesting sound coming from the little Myrian; he hadn't known a woman could make a noise like that.

"The farther the arrow has to travel the more time it'll have to curve downward. Aim a little above where you want it to go when you're shooting over a big distance," Roderick ran his fingers over his neck; was he doing this right? Was he telling her the right things? He brushed the thoughts away and nodded at her, "Have another go."

The hunter felt a breeze picking up off to his left, "Aim a little more to the left when you draw," if he was right the wind would make the arrow shift to the right during its flight." The hunter slung his bow about his chest, then brought his hands up to rub his face. When he had the time he'd find someone who knew something about teaching and ask them for advice.
Thoughts
"Speech"
Standard text

If there is ever a time when I don't post within a thread - or create one - within a few days, send me a PM; the chances are I may have accidentally forgotten.
Roderick
Player

Words: 294797
Joined roleplay: July 20th, 2013, 9:10 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Archery Training II

Postby Kaie on September 4th, 2013, 11:37 pm

So she needed to aim up to go down? The Myrian woman pondered his words further, staring at the distance she needed to conquer. Her eyes settled at an area above the target, creating an invisible point she'd fire at. Suddenly a breeze rushed through her hair, causing it to billow softly to the right across her shoulders. Certainly that would have an effect on her shot, right? Kaie turned her head toward him questionably, only to find he was already answering her question.

She nodded in confirmation but she could see him running his hands down his face as she turned to the target. Brushing it off, she continued the routine. She set herself up as she had practiced a hundred times with him once before. Back and shoulders did the work along with the arms. She hardly minded the quivering tip of her arrow. She aimed up and then shifted to the left above the target. When she loosed it, it flung wildly above and landed somewhere in the forest. Kaie grit her teeth annoyed but said nothing. Instead she tried again. Bow up, back straight, muscles tense, and all else in its proper place. This time she aimed lower to the left, but still it fired into the trees.

If I don't hit this next shot I'm snapping this petching thing in half.

The next time she focused, tried harder and felt as though she had done everything right. Again, it was lost still far above the target. It took all her restraint and discipline not to chuck the thing as far from her as she could.

Alright, alright. Once more and then that's it.

Finally the godforsaken arrow struck the target just a few circles from the center. She grinned jovially and turned to Roderick with an expression that could've said "see? Maybe you're not such a shyke teacher after all!"

"How was that one?!"

Kaie
Player

Words: 1635197
Joined roleplay: May 9th, 2013, 3:13 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Archery Training II

Postby Roderick on September 5th, 2013, 9:13 pm

Roderick watched the Myrian woman draw her bowstring to her cheek, arrow pointed towards the target. When she let the arrow free, it soared off madly into the undergrowth behind the target, lost in the forest. Kaie notched another arrow soon after and took aim again, slightly lower this time, though with the same effect as before. Roderick could see the Myrian becoming increasingly angry; he was tempted to step in, but decided leaving her to try on her own might be the best way.

On her third try she seemed to focus all her attention on what she was doing; even Roderick found the leaves drifting down from overhead slowing and freezing in time as the Myrian loosed her arrow. When the arrow struck the target the world carried around them, none the wiser to their frustrations.
Roderick admired the Myrian for not giving in; when he had first started every missed shot set him cursing.

When the arrow finally struck the target - this time closer to the center - Kaie grinned from ear to ear and turned towards him, eyes glinting.
"How was that one?!" she asked.
"Good," he told her, returning the smile, "Very good..." he looked over at the target, "I give you points for not smacking me over the head with your bow,"
he faced her again, "You're getting better. Practicing your shootings the best way to improve," he nodded his head towards the target, "On you go."

Roderick took his own bow in hand and notched an arrow, bringing the weapon to full draw and staring down the shaft quickly before loosing it at the target. The wind bent the arrow to the right, and the distance made it move down, so he had aimed up and left a little. He watched as his arrow sank itself into the hay just outside the inner ring of the target. Seemed he was improving himself.

"Aim a little up and to the left," he repeated the advice he'd given earlier.
Thoughts
"Speech"
Standard text

If there is ever a time when I don't post within a thread - or create one - within a few days, send me a PM; the chances are I may have accidentally forgotten.
Roderick
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Archery Training II

Postby Kaie on September 7th, 2013, 4:50 am

Her brow immediately furrowed when she heard the sinking of the arrow in the target. She stared at the well placed arrow only just outside the center. Jealously filled her, tangling with her still ethnocentric views of the world. Roderick was a barbarian and yet here he was hitting the target better than she was. With a weapon her people were good at! It all seemed backwards to her. Luckily that only drove her further to improve. To be not best, but better.

"Good shot. My turn," She said easily in a monotone that just hardly conveyed her determination. Stepping up she notched her arrow and corrected her stance before aiming. Finally she drew back with an inhale the proper way and released upon exhale. Following through she watched. Having just aimed well with the wind, the arrow dug deep into the target. This time it was just off to the side of her previously fired one. Maybe two rings in. Not bullseye. She cursed under her breath but it had been an improvement overall. She was starting to realize things do indeed take time.

Kaie
Player

Words: 1635197
Joined roleplay: May 9th, 2013, 3:13 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Archery Training II

Postby Roderick on September 7th, 2013, 2:41 pm

"Good shot. My turn," the Myrian stepped forward with her bow at the readied; taking aim she loosed her arrow at the target and he followed its path into the target, not far from the one before; two rings in. Good considering the Myrian was in the middle of her second lesson, but she clearly wasn't happy with the shot; Kaie muttered something to herself, too low to hear.

"Keep going," he urged her gently, leaning his weight on one foot, "You're doing well." Roderick looked over at their target, then at Kaie, then found his gaze wandering off to the sky; best return to the city soon, he decided. His stomach growled loudly - the Myrian had probably heard it.
OOCSorry, but I'm running out of ideas on how to extend my posts. Want to carry the thread on longer, or post it for grading?
Thoughts
"Speech"
Standard text

Roderick
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Archery Training II

Postby Radiant on October 8th, 2013, 6:37 pm

njaa

Roderick :
Experience
Skill XP Earned
Observation +1 XP
Bodybuilding +1 XP
Running +1 XP
Weapon: Longbow +1 XP
Rhetoric +1 XP
Teaching +1 XP

Lores
Lore Earned
Training Kaie In The Art Of Longbow Archery
Kaie's Little Arrow Prank

Loots

Kaie :
Experience
Skill XP Earned
Observation +1 XP
Tracking +1 XP
Stealth +1 XP
Rhetoric +1 XP
Weapon: Longbow +3 XP

Lores
Lore Earned
Tracking: Roderick
Pranking Roderick
Longbow: The Basics
Aim Up To Go Down

Loots

Notes :
Rod... It's getting tedious. Please don't repeat what your partner said and do to the T in your replies. Phew... At least you didn't do this anymore in your future threads.

Kaie, I love how you describe her difficulties at being a Novice Longbow user. It's appropriate and according to your skill level.

My radiance is not bright enough?
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade, beam me a PM and we can work it out. :)
Radiant
Sailor Radiant

Words: 781936
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2013, 1:39 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Previous