Child's Play (Vitru, Jilitse, Ora, Open)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Jilitse on August 2nd, 2010, 5:22 pm

The Nuit listened to the Pycon eagerly, wondering about the mechanism it had in mind while staring at the broken toy. Blinking was a human trait, and she found it curious that a clay creature would ever think of adding such a mechanism for a pulser's toy. She stood close to the work table, working ideas of her own. The Nuit leaned a bit closer to the doll, giving it a more scrupulous look. It was broken, but not beyond repair. The Pycon wanted to craft it, to add something to it. A gear? Blinking? The idea was novel, for Jilitse's golems in Sahova rarely needed the faculty of vision, much less any blinking eyes.

She straightened upon hearing the name of Harameus, brother of the comatose god Aquiras, lover of the goddess Priskil, enemy of Sagallius, whose champion was Drainira, Jilitse's ultimate enemy. She is reminded of her mission, found it important to carry it out, or at least find a way to do so, as soon as she can. Jilitse pushed the thought aside and listened to It. A gift, perhaps, if it was meant to light up the child's face. Jilitse had begun to learn that most human emotions were opposite to one another, she would only need to figure out which one It was referring to.

At the Pycon's request, Jilitse began to talk, "I have once met a Pycon who accompanied a Human. We have traveled the same road from Syliras to Zeltiva, but were not really companions. When we got on the same ship that would embark to Sahova, a place where Nuits like me gather together to study magic, we stood side by side in the deck. The Pycon was very talkative, and it did not seem to mind the sea. It kept on asking questions from the crew one after the other. In fact, it was its first time on a ship. And then it saw a bird circling the ship's crow's nest. Imagine my surprise--" which won't be hard to since Jil rarely changed her facial expressions "--when it grew silent. For the next few days it sat quietly, shifting itself into the likeness of a seabird. It was an awkward sight, as the Pycon was shaped like a flask with four feet. On the eight day it had wings spread out from its sides. When we got to Sahova, there it was, an image of a seabird, a little statue. It was no longer moving, no longer talking. The human said it was about time and threw the Pycon to sea."

"I have also met an adventurous one many, many, many years ago." Nuits have lucid memories, and could recall information easily, especially those tucked away as things that must be studied further. "On my way to a City called Nyka, I came across a caravan whose owner had a star-shaped Pycon for a pet. I was lucky to view a few of its performances. That Pycon loved to dance and enjoy itself by dancing. The family had made a little obstacle course which the Pycon breezed through, showing off its acrobatic talent."

It seems like the adventure Jilitse spoke of were adventures involved with Pycons, "And now I have met another one, carrying a broken doll, wishing to repair said thing. Most curious. I still haven't pinned down what most Pycons are like." A slight nod, as if she figured out something on her own.

"You are not the first one I meet on the road, but to me it seemed like you have decided to settle down in the City. And unlike those that I have met before, you seem to have quite the form." Jilitse glided away. There wasn't really much room to move about. She tried to keep away from the hearth, because fire did nasty things to corpses.

She decided to skip the story of the other Pycons she have met, those who were subjects in a magical experiment, both of whom have died soon after an unseen unfortunate circumstance. She now noted Its Py-pole. "The ones I've met wore similar weapons on their person. One of them wielded a whip."

"The reason why I joined you is because I am quite interested in your race," she said, omitting most parts about the Pycon creation by Rupert Pycon. "I was hoping to tell you about the Pycons I have met in my travels, so that I may find out answers to the few questions your kind had planted in my mind."

She smiled, "But that aside, it would also be a welcome sight for me, if you would not mind, to witness your craft. I do a little bit of gadgeteering on my own, you see. And I am interested in the mechanics of your blinking doll."

She whirled gracefully, remembering that she had almost ignored, if not fully forgotten, the Konti. "How about you Ora, what's the story behind your travels? Is this the first time you've met a Pycon?"
I. Vox Populi, Vox Dei
II. The Night the Watchtowers Cried

I am nothing special, of this I am sure. I am a common woman with common thoughts and I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but I've loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough.
Jilitse
I just arrived (again). Please be kind.

Words: 520837
Joined roleplay: March 5th, 2010, 8:22 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)
GP's Angels (1)

Postby Ora Sa'vina on August 4th, 2010, 5:46 am

Ora followed the strange duo as they weaved through the darkening streets and alleyways. She listening thoughtfully and silently to the Pycon as he spoke about the history of the doll, a smile rose on her face, a noble thing the Pycon was doing, at least that's how Ora felt. Soon enough, though, they arrived near the Ironworks and found their way into a small, office and house.

The small Pycon man directed Ora towards the fire in order to light it, obediently and with a smile, Ora nodded, setting her bag of purchases next to the door, her hands making quick work of the logs next to the hearth. The small woman carefully stacked the logs, putting small twigs and leaves under the logs, lighting them after a few dozen tries.

Once Ora had finished lighting the fire, It had turned his attention to Jilitse, asking her of her travels. This topic also was fascinating for Ora, she sat with her back to the hearth, her eyes watching the dark woman happily, like a child at story-time.

The Konti listened thoughtfully, smiling at the thought of a flask with legs, a silly image indeed, but the story took a somber turn once the small creatures life left it. The young woman enjoyed the stories of Pycons, a dancing star pycon was especially entertaining to the woman. Ora's eyes moved to the small man with his Py-pole, his mode of transport that left his house-shelves pock-marked and pitted.

The young woman was slightly surprised at the graceful turn of the Nuit, whose attention and piercing eyes landed on her. Startled the woman looked away quickly, tending the hearth with a poker as she spoke. "I have no real travels... I recently came to Syliras, before that I lived on the White Isle." Ora frowned slightly, compared to the two near her, she had no stories. "This is the first time I have met a Pycon," Her violet eyes moved to land on the graceful, dark woman. "And the first time I have met a Nuit." A smile graced her face for a moment. "I am planning on traveling to Riverfall once season changes." The Konti stopped poking the fire. "I do not mean to be rude, but I know very little of your kind, Jilitse," Ora dusted her hands off on her knees. "Would you do me the pleasure of telling me of your home and kind?" Violet eyes moved to It. "I hope you do not mind me watching you craft, I do not know anything about gadgets, but it would be an honor to observe."
Ora Sa'vina
Player

Words: 157067
Joined roleplay: July 22nd, 2010, 2:18 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Jilitse on August 5th, 2010, 10:39 am

"I cannot speak for the rest of my race, Ora. Each nuit is unique in their own way, and I have recently found myself a deviant to what I have always known my kind to be." Jilitse was nodding vaguely at the Konti. "In any case, Nuits are the products of an ancient animation ritual known as the Daek-Nuit. It has been known that our ichor-the Nuit's blood, only pearly white in color-can, in some cases, transform those who drink it into undead, which is one of the reasons why my kind is feared."

"We have no need to eat, sleep, and drink. We can live forever, except that we have a constant need for switching into fresh bodies. We still suffer decay and decomposition. Having eternity in your palms can be quite mind-numbing though, even for those who live for an eternal cause or an important purpose. And mind you, some are followers of well feared gods. These make them dangerous, but let's not dwell there." Her static gaze was stuck at the Konti for the mean time. Her monotone rang in It's room.

"Alas, I have no home at the moment. A gracious human had accepted me into his Home, and I currently stay in the Orphanage. I am a transient in this City, too. It is uncharacteristic of me, but more than once I have went out of my way in order to meet and greet other people. I was not always as... well received as you both have accepted my company, so it is truly a pleasure to talk. Lately, I have been curious about the ways of the living especially when it comes to the relationship they have with their gods and goddesses. What better City to study than Syliras? This is one of the safest cities for a Nuit to stay."

"In that case," she segued into a question, "mind if you tell me about your deity or deities, if you have any?" Jilitse listened, eyes locked at the Konti. "You mentioned that you were going to Riverfall. I know it's far from Syliras, and that would make it quite an adventure. Judging from the distance you will trek, you have an important mission to carry out there?" It was more of a statement than a question, but Jilitse wanted to hear Ora voice out her own reasons. After listening patiently, she ransferred her unblinking gaze to It.

"Anything we can do to help?"
I. Vox Populi, Vox Dei

I am nothing special, of this I am sure. I am a common woman with common thoughts and I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but I've loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough.
Jilitse

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
GP's Angels (1)

Postby Vitru on August 5th, 2010, 7:45 pm

Vitru had been consumed by his work as the others spoke. This was not to say he was not listening, and he was reveling in the interaction and listening quite intently as he drew up plans on a tiny piece of parchment with an equally fine pointed quill. As he designed, he glanced up occasionally, only stopping his work once in anger as the Nuit mentioned the Pycon being thrown to sea.

"It would like to have a word with the Pycon's shipmates. It is quite distraught thinking that the creature has been left far below the waves with no one to admire its efforts."

The Py-pole rested behind Vitru, in case he should need to move about to another of his shelves. The Py-string was still loosely knotted around the dolls neck on the table, the string was obviously quite durable but thin enough to pass almost unnoticed in many circumstances.

Satisfied with his work, Vitru hefted his Py-pole upright and vaulted down from the shelf to the table. He held up the tiny piece of paper for Jilitse's scrutiny but she found the writing to be so small it was nigh illegible. Sensing the consternation in her face as she squinted to read it, Vitru stepped over to a small cup containing more of his tools and hefted out a full sized magnifying glass. "It fears that the writing may be too small, but It wagers Jilitse may be gratified by looking through this piece of glass."

The Pycon motioned the young Konti closer as well, at the hint of interest in his work. "It would be most grateful if Ora would also observe Its labors. Certainly Ora must have some tale to tell of Ora's isle. It for one has never been there and would be deeply interested to hear more of it."

Having given Jilitse time to peruse the details of the schematics and also converse with Ora as well, he leaned back over the doll, tiny chin cupped in tiny hand as he thought. "Jilitse would be more than welcome to suggest modifications to Its idea. Even more welcome would be any further inspirations Jilitse or Ora might have to allow the doll to bring more joy to the world."

As he waited for the others to finish glancing over his drawings he set to work hollowing out the dolls head with a tiny knife, his dull eyes flickering between the two taller figures as he considered a life of adventure on the road once more.
There is no shame in not knowing, the shame lies in not finding out.
Vitru
Player

Words: 11582
Joined roleplay: July 24th, 2010, 6:40 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet

Postby Ora Sa'vina on August 6th, 2010, 5:35 am

Ora listened intently to Jilitse as she spoke, her fascination with other races and knowledge in general was being fed by the Nuit’s words. The young woman found the Nuit race a terrifying, but intriguing thing, Jilitse was showing no signs of ill intent towards the Pycon or Ora, though with the woman’s lack of expression, it wouldn’t be hard to hide such emotions.

“How… Do you switch bodies?” Ora asked, her voice paused awkwardly for a moment, deciding if she should go forward and ask or leave it be. “I will understand if you do not wish to talk about it.” She was sincere when it came to not answering, she would indeed understand and leave the topic be if Jilitse was uncomfortable.

The young woman listened to the Nuit’s reason for coming to Sylira, it was a good one indeed, Sylira was a very safe city, and it was full of living people. Ora’s expression bore a slight sign of confusion. “What is it about the relationship between people and Gods and Goddess that intrigues you, Jilitse?” Her eye lingered on the pale woman a few paces from her, her face experiencing a slight orange tinge from the fire.

Ora smiled happily at the mention of her own deities, Ora always enjoyed speaking of her beloved God and Goddess. “I praise Avalis and Laviku daily, they are the Mother and Father of my race,” Ora smiled as her eyes moved to look at the fire. “Avalis is the Goddess of Foresight, Divination, whatever you wish to call it,” Ora paused a moment, her fingers fiddling with the cord around her waist. “Laviku is Avalis’s mate; he is the sea king, watching over sea life and sea storms.” Her violet eyes moved from the fire to return to the Nuit. “They both live with the Konti on our Isle most of the time.” A smile crossed the woman’s face. “I hope that was what you were hoping for; if you have anymore specific questions, please just ask.”

The Konti stood slowly, answering the Nuit’s last remark. “Yes,” Her fingers lightly touched the Lakan that rested on her waist. “It is my Father’s,” Her eyes moved to the Nuit. “I am traveling to tell him of my Mother, his lover’s, death and to return his weapon.” A small smile rested on her face. “I am not sure what I will do if I cannot find him, but I go where I am led.”

Ora’s attention moved to the small man as he bounced from a shelf onto the table in the middle of the room. The young woman made her way to the table to look at the tiny piece of paper the Nuit was handed. Her attention moved from the plans to the Pycon. “My Isle?” Ora paused a moment to think of what she could tell. “Well, if you ever get the chance to visit it, you should, it is lovely, especially in winter. There’s a lake which holds powers of its own, it is a magical and peaceful place.” A frown crossed the woman’s face, she missed her home dearly, and she was still a child in so many ways. “I am not sure what to tell you, Vitru, it is hard to describe such a place…” Ora thought for a few moments before continuing on.

“I lived in a small cottage along the coast line, half of our house was built into the sea, and the rest was on land. The isle is covered with large coniferous trees and whenever I walked anywhere I always had a distinct feeling of calm.” The Konti smiled as she remembered her morning walks to training. “The women of the Isle are caring, but protective of their own; the elders are not ones to fool with.”
Ora Sa'vina
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Jilitse on August 6th, 2010, 2:43 pm

"We perform a body switching ritual." She paused, testing the reaction of the Konti, "We pass on our soul from one body to the next."

"I see." Jilitse talked to Ora, but was attempting to scrutinize the small piece of paper It handed her. The Pycon was able to realize the big difference between their sizes, and offered a magnifier for both the Nuit and Konti to look at. "Well, I am somewhat soul-searching, if that could be called a correct term. I need to seek out a particular goddess for I require her aid. We Nuits find gods unnecessary, if not irrelevant, for even faith can dull when you've lived hundreds of years. So, I have been trying to gather information between different races and their deities, in order to properly calculate the best way of approaching Priskil. Nuits are somewhat unfavorable to a few gods and goddesses, for we are anomalies of nature. I wish to give myself a good foothold if I am ever graced with the chance to meet the goddess." She paused, and nodded, approving It's design. "Looks good to me. I fear I cannot really suggest modifications as the golems I work with in Sahova are usually simplistic in design. And I do not understand what you mean by bringing joy to the world." The Nuit looked baffled. To Ora, she asked, "Maybe the Konti could suggest something to add aesthetic value to the doll?"

After a few moments of contemplation, she told Ora, "From my ruminations, an adventure is an adventure that is worthy of accomplishing, no matter what the possible outcomes. As a Nuit I have computed my success to be less than 1%, but I put value in the mission I am to carry out. I think of it as a game with the odds against me. Your search for your father is somewhat the same. You will either find him, or find him dead. Both are still successes, one outcome favorable than the other. But we are not here to contemplate and philosophize, are we?"

She now gave her full attention to It and the doll being repaired, barely listening to Ora's tales of the Konti Isle. "I was wondering, how did you come by your tools, It? Do you make them on your own?" Jil ran a finger on the doll's broken arm, marveling at the thought of having a small Pycon with small tools work on it. "You are the first Pycon I have seen to be knowledgeable about gadgeteering. I am impressed."

"Why do you choose to repair the doll instead of buying a new one? Or making a new one, instead, for that matter. In Sahova we usually dispose of golems when they cease to work."

It occurred to Jilitse that she had not yet asked about It's friend. "Your friend," she inquired, "Is it a human boy or Pycon like you?" Do human boys play with dolls? Do Pycon refer to young ones as boys? Jilitse's mind wheeled at the questions. "Would you mind telling me how you became acquainted?" If the boy was of a different race from the Pycon (which he was), the Nuit would find it specially curious. Interaction between races was also a topic of interest, so was this thing pulsers kept referring to as friendship.

The Nuit thought, she had once repaired a golem for Mashaen. Does that make him her friend?

EditI forgot to answer your body switching question, I noticed only now. Sorry Ora.
Last edited by Jilitse on August 8th, 2010, 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
I. Vox Populi, Vox Dei

Jilitse

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
GP's Angels (1)

Postby Vitru on August 8th, 2010, 1:05 am

After finishing work on the doll's head, Vitru listened closely as he vaulted back to his first shelf and then began to climb to an upper shelf, littered with spare gears and other odd bits of metal, glass, and wood. He used his py-string as a sort of lasso around a poorly hammered nail in such a fashion that he could easily climb the py-string.

While he was rummaging about the mess of gears and mumbling quietly to himself he caught mention of the goddess Priskil. He hugged the gear in his hands to his chest and turned to fix Jilitse with a cold and unblinking stare.

"Jilitse speaks of Priskil, beloved of Aquiras?" Despite his reaction fo the mention of Priskil, it is obvious his concern lies with Aquiras, the emphasis heavily stressing the dying god's name. "Why does Jilitse seek her?" His demeanor had changed noticeably and his voice had turned maleficent and guarded. "Jilitse and Ora are most kind for the compliments to Its designs, but It fears that the conversation must now remain fixed upon Jilitse's aforementioned 'soul search'. Tell It, if Jilitse seeks Priskil but does not understand joy, how can Jilitse ever hope to succeed?"

By this point in his angry diatribe, Vitru has lowered first the gear and then himself back to his primary shelf and had adopted a much more protective stance as he retrieved the length of string from above. Luckily, the riled undertone had fallen by the wayside as he lapsed into speaking of the child and the doll.

"The boy It is helping is unknown to It. It saw him in the bazaar and decided to help. The project is for Its fulfillment, and the result should be for his enjoyment." He looks down to the gear in his hands. "If the boy cannot be found, then It will decide what to do with it. This doll is important because it is that child's doll. Did Jilitse never favor anything above all else?" He glanced to Ora who seemed to be momentarily lost in memories of her beloved island home. "Perhaps Ora could explain something of that. It fears It is not certain if tall one's motivations are exact parallels of the Pycon way."

He nodded to a cobwebbed corner of the office, not so far away in human terms. "It purchased a tall one's kit so that It could copy the designs and then fashioned tools of Its own. It finds that Its stature affords It much more ease of movement when working on the smaller pieces of a new project, but It is quite less than capable with more grandiose designs."

Vitru had halted work on the doll as he still somewhat cautiously awaited the undead's rationale for seeking out Aquiras' lover.
Vitru
Player

Character sheet

Postby Jilitse on August 8th, 2010, 12:28 pm

Jil was taken aback by the Pycon's question. But it did not register in her face, only that she took a moment of silence. She was urged to explain, so she must. "I do not seek her out of faith, It. I seek her out of need, necessity, and perhaps desperation. My friend needs her help, I need her help badly. From what I have heard the goddess smiles down upon those who have hope." She walked near to the disconcerted Pycon and said, "I need to kill Sagallius, It. Does that not sound as the greatest adventure anyone can hope for?" She smiled. "I believe if you carry such a burden of a quest you may not be able to know joy, Nuit, or not Nuit."

"In the same way that Ora will search for her father and do it so steadfastly, I shall embark on my mission just as well. I believe the goddess does not discriminate, and would be kind enough to understand my pleas when I lay my case to her."

She would like to have It continue his work, for she had been anticipating the moment when the little gadgeteer would use his tools to repair the little doll. The Nuit, being a gadgeteer herself, was also interested in how a doll could be repaired. So she said, "You are, in a way, on your own mission at the moment. Fulfillment, perhaps is the right term to it," she recessed once more into philosophizing, "We three have our own fates, our own choices, our own ways of accomplishing the hurdles we face. And we may not succeed, but there is a chance that we will." She pointed at the doll, "A chance for you to give this to the little boy, and perhaps become his friend. So, why don't you continue it?" Jilitse eyed It curiously, wondering what about Priskil got him to react. Or perhaps, it was the other way around for the Pycon... The mention of Priskil led to the mention of Aquiras, who was the brother of the god he worshiped.

Made sense, Jil thought. "Of course, if you ask me, I do not wish to take chances. I must succeed, and I will." She did not wanted to sound bragging, so she added, "It is of utmost important. I am searching Priskil for my friend, whom I value a lot." Calling the Archwizard, her Master, a friend sounded really odd to the Nuit. But, then again, whatever drives the point home.
I. Vox Populi, Vox Dei

Jilitse

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
GP's Angels (1)

Postby Ora Sa'vina on August 9th, 2010, 2:26 am

A ritual was more than enough of an explanation for Ora. A small smile graced the woman's face as she bowed her head slightly. "The body you move to, they are already dead?" Ora was curious, but realized the morbidity in the topic. While the topic might seemed dark and twisted to most, the young woman saw no reason to not learn while the opportunity presented it self, given the teacher is willing.

"If you find Gods unnecessary... Then why are you seeking one out, Miss Jilitse?" Ora asked in a small voice, her eyes looking over the woman's shoulder through the piece of glass. The small paper showed gibberish to the young woman, she didn't understand the notes or drawings. Her attention moved away from the paper and to the doll. "Something aesthetic?" Ora thought for a while, she wasn't sure what else the small toy would need. "Perhaps a smile?" Ora asked, unsure of herself.

While listening to the Nuit speak, a small frown crossed her face. The thought hadn't occurred to her yet, her father could, very well, be dead. "You are correct, Jilitse, I will wish you luck with your adventure, I would offer my assisstance, but I am unsure if I could be of any use to you." Ora's attention moved back to her own internal thoughts, contemplating with herself.

The young woman had fallen silent, listening to the two in front of her while she silently thought over the possibilities she hadn't considered. Ora did not even know her father's name, all she knew was his weapon which she kept with her, what if that was not enough, not enough to find her father? Would her whole mission be in vain? The young woman snapped back to attention to look at the two before her, whose conversation had turned to Jilitse's quest.

Ora listened intently as Jilitse explained what she was going to do. Ora did not know of any of the God's they spoke of, her knowledge of Deities was limited to Laviku and Avalis. The young Konti found her self almost amazed at the determination the Nuit had. The dark woman had admited to the unlikely chances of her succeeding, yet she knew she would do as she desired. The young woman smiled at the older one, speaking up after a sizable silence. "I see no reason why Priskil and Aquiras would not grant you what you wish," The woman moved to poke the fire and add another log. "You are so hopeful, and if that is what they look for, I do not see how they could overlook someone so void of doubt." The woman continued to poke the fire, watching the small sparks fly up the flew.
Ora Sa'vina
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Vitru on August 14th, 2010, 7:14 pm

((my apologies for the lateness of this response!))

The dimunitive man seemed taken aback by the undead woman's brusque tone na dmention of Sagallius. "Jilitse wants to kill Sagallius Hrinn? It thinks Jilitse mad for desiring to kill a god, no matter how deserving Sagallius might be." Vitru ponders a bit longer before picking up a small satchel of tools and dropping back to the work table.

As the other two conversed, Vitru was both lost in thought about missions and the grandeur of having such a profound goal as the Nuit spoke of, while simultaneously attempting to diligently finish work on the doll's new additions. He was caught off guard at the mention of a smile from the young Konti, and he paused his work to stare at the blank face of his subject in consideration. The Pycon begins muttering to himself as he returns to cutting notches and setting the gears within the doll, his speech sounding somewhat like loose gravel sliding down a gently rolling hillside.

The minutes turned into several hours, the other two conversing as Vitru made the finishing touches on his latest project. A small gesture is made to the pale girl standing behind Jilitse accompanied by a small request, "If Ora would be so kind as to give It one of the smaller twigs from the fire, It would be most grateful. And in the meantime, if Jilitse knows the tale, Jilitse might explain to Ora why it is that Aquiras is exceptionally unlikely to offer assistance, as worthy as Jilitse's cause may be." The last part is spat out vehemently from the Pycon, and it is obvious that he is not happy about the state of affairs in the heavens.
Vitru
Player

Character sheet

PreviousNext