[Red Diamond Fashions] Can I Pay For Your Silence?

Kavala has started taking things seriously.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Kavala on September 9th, 2013, 7:42 am

Timestamp: 10rth of Fall, 513 AV

Kavala walked into the shop and glanced around at the goods for sale. It was obviously a high end seamstress and one well suited to more affluent customers. Kavala nodded in satisfaction. She'd come to the right place after asking around and placing carefully worded inquiries to her contacts on the streets. If someone wanted custom work done, this was the place to do it. And Kavala certainly wanted custom.

The Konti glanced at both the menswear and the women's clothing, impressed that the woman could sew both with such fashion sense. She hoped the woman also took custom work, things that were off the beaten path and somewhat unique. If the woman would do the work, she was more than eager to pay her well for the services.

Stepping up to the counter, Kavala carefully took forth a square of butter soft but thick black leather that was both supple and warm, and a list of measurements. She also had a silken bag that moved as if it looked like it was filled with gems or marbles. Soon after a rolled sketch joined the pile. Once she had her collection out, she waited patiently until someone from the back came forward and greeted her.

"Hello. I'm here to request some commissions. Can you assist me?"
She said softly, fussing with the small collection of things she had in her hands.

the sketch :
Last edited by Kavala on November 12th, 2013, 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Rosela on September 19th, 2013, 12:21 pm

It had been a slow day thus far, and so Rosela had found herself repeatedly meandering to the back to restock the shelves. There were a few events going on in the city, and it seemed everyone had better places to be than clothes shopping. A silly idea, in her opinion, since there were clearly so many people lacking in the wardrobe department. How hard was it to grasp that Autumn colors were in, and Summer ones were so out?

Rosela had updated her own wardrobe the day of the season change, moving from her cute summer skirts to a longer, slightly warmer affair. A tiger striped top - very much inspired by her ocelot visit in the Spring - connected to a knee-high black skirt overlaid with semi-transparent, fluttery, and very expensive, chiffon. She'd upgraded her boots as well, cute little things with heels to replace the plain riding boots she'd gotten the year before. To think, she'd survived an entire year without heels...

"Two trousers, three blouses, one belt..." Rosela muttered quietly to herself as she counted the items in a pair of her arms. "And one cloak." Hefting a long cotton cloak off of the rack, she draped it over her shoulder and pushed backwards out of the door. She may as well switch out the display dress while she was at it; the purple silk affair up there suddenly seemed too light to be advertised with the coming cold weather. Come to think of it, there were more than a few-

"Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't hear you come in! Welcome to Red Diamond Fashions. Just stepped to the back to..." She paused to place the pile of clothing at the side of the desk, using all six hands to make sure they stayed folded and neat. "Stock the shelves."

The Konti seemed nervous, fiddling with a few items in her hands as she made her request. Smiling widely to try and put her at ease, Rosela waved a hand excitedly. "Absolutely! Custom work's one of my favorite things. I'm Rosela, by the way." She glanced down at the woman's hands, particularly at the pieces of paper. "What kind of an outfit were you looking for today?"

Have a moment? Maybe drop by and leave a peer review?
Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Words: 739794
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2012, 7:54 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Kavala on September 26th, 2013, 7:11 pm

Kavala met Rosela's gaze a moment, sizing up the woman who was the brains and skill behind the lovely shop and seemed to weight something in her mind. She needed the order completed, true enough, but was this the right place. Her azure gaze met Rosela's, held it, and then seemed to decide. She was careful about picking her words, and thoughtful in the delivery.

"I have a very large custom order. I am particular about what I want and how I want it crafted. I am more concerned about quality than speed, though I do have a particular order I want things done in, if that is acceptable." Kavala said, then paused long enough for the other woman to digest her words. Moving forward, she handed the square of heavy but buttery soft black leather to Rosela. "I'd like you to use this type of material, something as fine or better, as soft but as sturdy. And it needs to be dark, black, if possible, though I know true black is a hard dye to manage and a deep blue would be acceptable as well." The Konti said. She then unfolded the sketch and handed it over to Rosela.

"I'd like robes made. Several in fact, with an attached hood and long cowl. I'd like them to be of this type of leather, though lined with silk if possible. And then...." She took the small bag she had, the one that sounded as if it had coins in them, and dumped it into her palm. Instead of coins, it contained stones that were black as night yet reflected light within them and lit with fire.

the beads :

The stones were the size of a large Akalak's thumbnail. They glittered like jewels in Kavala's hand. "I'd like the hood and cowl as well as hem embellished with these stones. But not in a row... I'd like them thick around the hem and scattering up into the skirt like stars glittering in the sky. Same with the cowl scattering up, and the rim of the hood scattering down... if that makes sense. I can get you as many of these in as many sizes as you'd like and I can alter the holes in them so you can affix them however you'd like. For the closure, I'd like it to come together all up the front in a series of whatever fasteners you think is best. They will be worn indoors and outside, so I'd like a complete closure, not just a clasp at the throat per say. I'm fine if you want to make the cowl and hood separate or attached. Here is the number I need and the measurements of the people who will be wearing them." Kavala said as she handed Rosela another list.

There were six male sizes, some ranging from Akalak sized to small human. There were four female sized robes. And then below that, with the notation that there was less hurry for these, were another ten robes in all sorts of sizes as if they were to be put into storage for future use, both male and female. All in all the order was for twenty robes, with the first ten needed this season if possible.

Once she was done with her explanation, the Healer waited to field any questions and to hear the seamstress' reaction.

Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Rosela on October 3rd, 2013, 8:19 pm

Rosela was being sized up, and she knew it. It had happened before: a young woman deciding if she was up to the task of her wedding gown, or a new husband deciding if she could be trusted not to ruin his wife's favorite dress on a simple hem job. She always felt mildly insulted, but had yet to fail one of these little tests, so she attempted to let that bolster her ego.

The test passed apparently, the description came hard and fast, apparently very minutely planned out already. Rosela listened in silence, gently taking the sketch to look at closely, and picking a single stone out of the woman's hand when they in turn were presented. Questions arose immediately in her mind, but she held them back until the plan was fully presented. A lot of forethought had clearly gone into it, much more than any other project she'd been given.

Looking down at the measurements page, she inhaled quietly. She had been anticipating two, maybe three of these robes, but twenty? The plan laid itself out in her mind with the heaviness of a brick road. The leather would need found, she may have to custom order some of it dyed, and stitching leather on it's own was always a bear. On top of that, silk linings and the sheer number of stones that would have to go into them was staggering. She'd need to find a much sturdier thread, to make sure the stones on the bottom wouldn't fall off...

"This is...quite an undertaking," she said quietly, after a moment of silence. The look of measurement a few moments ago, of sizing her up, came back to her, and she looked up from the chart, smoothing her face into unruffled professionalism. "Ideally, I'd like to make one robe fully, have you look at it to make sure it's what you want, and then I'll create the rest." Glancing down at the measurements list, she quickly ran through her inventory plans for the rest of the season. "I could have the first done in ten days, and provided it is to standard, the remaining ten could be done thirty days after. Unless you have an earlier deadline?" An eyebrow arched curiously.

"I'd require an advance payment to begin work, half the total payment for such a large commission." The abacus of her mind whirled, piecing together the price. For all twenty robes, it'd be...

She felt the color drain slightly out of her face and coughed discreetly behind a hand to hide it. "Let me go through the price ladder with you, just to make sure there's no aspects you want to change." Pulling up a piece of design paper, she leaned over the desk and turned it so they could both see. Her handwriting was slanted and scripty, similar to her native Arumenic. "A single cotton robe typically costs 1gm. Now, leather doesn't add too much, just another gold miza, making it two. However, silk is a pretty rich fabric, so having that underlayer will bring the price up to 22gm, okay?" Glancing up to gauge the Konti's reaction, she moved down to the next line. "Beading actually adds quite a bit to the price, since it requires so much labor, making our final price 32gm, per robe. There will be a discount for the entire set, of course, but I wanted to make sure the individual price was in your budget." She couldn't help but have the niggling feeling in her gut the woman would take one look at the price and bolt. Unless...

"Is this a commission from the Council? Or one of the Gods' Towers? The design does seem very serious, black leather and all." Still leaning over the desk, she picked up the design to look at it again. Of course an organization was footing the bill; why on Mizahar would a private citizen waltz in and order twenty black robes? A dinner party?

Price Breakdown :
I actually worked it out way wrong in my first draft, so here's all the multipliers so you see where I'm coming from:

Robe: 1gm
Leather: x2
Silk: x25 (made x20 because it's just the under layer)
Beaded: x10

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kavala on October 4th, 2013, 4:42 pm

Kavala listened carefully, nodding her head occasionally. She liked the wide shrewd intelligence in the other woman's eyes, though like most people having not encountered her race before, Kavala found the multiple arms distracting. She had to forcefully not watch them and watch the woman's expression instead. The healer thought it must have been extraordinary to have so many extra limbs - extraordinarily helpful.

The woman knew her trade too. That was something Kavala often admired in others who were professionals like herself. She could almost see the thoughts and calculations whirling in the woman's mind as she planned and then gently fished for more information to satiate some inner curiosity.

Kavala only smiled. "Yes, doing one first might be the best option so I can approve the fit and design. Sometimes sketches don't translate well, though with your clothing on display here, I have confidence you will be able to make this work. I was contemplating the embellished beading being on the helm of the sleeves running up the arms too, but then I was wondering if they would be noisy or distracting if someone were using their arms or holding something in their hands or just simply be too much." The Konti mused suddenly, then let Rosela continue with her explanation of the costs.

She then shook her head. "The time frame is open. I'd rather have good quality work than a rushed job, though there is no evidence of anything but the best quality in your shop. If you can complete all ten in thirty days that's fantastic, but it is not necessary. I would like these to last lifetimes with careful use and care, so if they were made to do so that would be a bonus." Kavala said thoughtfully, then frowned at the cost. She tapped her fingers on the counter and studied Rosela without saying anything. The healer heard her comment about the garment being for The Council or one of the towers, but rather than lie to the woman, Kavala was more suited simply to not answer her question and instead distract her another way.

"That's not enough. Not for the work and not for the quick turn around to get them. I will pay you fifty gold-rimmed mizas a robe for a total of a thousand mizas with five hundred down and payment due upon receipt of the last one."
Kavala said. "But in exchange for the additional coin, you will agree on your honor to tell no one you've made these robes. And if they are by chance seen or questions are asked as you acquire materials, then you do not pass on the information as to who they were made for unless perchance someone of authority such as the Council were to make the inquiry. I would not want you to lie to our leadership. But idle talk has no place." Kavala said softly, firm in her request as to what she wanted.

And finally, she answered Rosela's last question the best she could. "No. They are not for a tower or The Council. They are for my family." The Konti said, a bit of pride infused into her voice.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Rosela on October 15th, 2013, 12:29 pm

Rosela had the feeling Kavala wasn't the type to pay compliments lightly, so the appraisal of her shop made her swell a bit. She knew her work was good, but it was always nice to hear it from someone else.

She looked again down at the stone she'd plucked from the pile as she turned it over in one hand. It was unlike anything she'd ever seen, though Kavala obviously knew where to find them, if she so readily offered to get as many as she needed. "Having beads on the insides of sleeves is usually a bad idea, in my experience. They'll make noise against anything you carry and they'll be much more liable to wear off as they rub against the body and anything else. If you want them on the sleeves, what I recommend..." She paused to push up the page she'd demonstrated the price ladder on, drawing in a quick sketch in the space below. It was a robe, in basic form, quarter turned to the side and the arms down straight, unlike in Kavala's own drawing. An empty, upside down teardrop formed the hole for the face, and the hems of the arms and bottom became vague, wavy lines. "Instead of having them all the way around the sleeve, we do a little taper here..." Laying her pencil nearly on its edge, she shaded a triangle on the outer half of the sleeve that arced inwards as it went up, widest against the hem of the sleeve, and tapering up to a single point that ran a short way up the sleeve, her pencil mark fading as it went up to indicate the gradient of stones. "A little stylish, and the stones shouldn't rub against anything. What do you think?" She tilted the page towards Kavala, gauging her reaction.

She was surprised to hear they would not be needed inside of her deadline, but after a brief moment of consideration, she decided to stick to it. A single robe done every three days would work out fine, with one day spent putting it together, another for putting on the stones, and another to work on her regular inventory. If she could see those mizas as soon as possible, all the better then. "Thirty days will be plenty without compromising quality. If I run into any problems while making the first, I'll discuss them with you at the time, but I don't foresee anything coming up." Not for the first time, she considered getting a shop hand to man the front while she worked, but as always, the thought was quickly chased off. She simply could not trust someone off the street to take care of her customers as she did.

She couldn't help the look of shock that ran over her face at the price increase, but quickly suppressed it. A client that not only offered to extend the deadline, but offered a larger payment? While she'd stood her ground on the deadline, who was she to argue with a thousand gold mizas? It was nearly what she made in an entire season, though she was anticipating a better pull that particular season. The secrecy intrigued her immediately and her head slowly tilted. It would be disappointing to not be able to brag about the beautiful robes she would be making, but the thought stirred an immense curiosity.

If they are by chance seen...

So the robes would not be public? She'd said they would be worn indoors and out, so if they were out, they would still not be in the public eye? The decorative stones ruled out any criminal activities, as well as her regard towards Council inquiries. It wasn't for the towers, and the Council clearly didn't already know, though they at least were permitted to, should they ask. It was for her family, so likely not for some organizational purpose, though that in itself clashed with the clear observation that these were meant to be uniform in nature. "That sounds very fair. Yes," she said after a moment's consideration. "I promise to tell no one." She glanced again at the list of measurements, then looked up to meet her client's eye. "You've quite the family... I do like to know who I'm working with though. I didn't catch your name?"

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kavala on October 19th, 2013, 10:04 pm

Kavala nodded at Rosela’s suggestion about the sleeves. Her smile should have been answer enough, but she replied anyhow. She liked the seamstress’ ideas. Her suggestion made a lot more sense for what Kavala wanted than the half-formed murmur the Konti had given the Eypharian. “I like that idea. Please make them that way then. It feels a lot more sensible than overdoing the garments or leaving them bare. They are ceremonial robes and I want those that wear them to feel a sense of a greater connection when we are using them.” Kavala admitted, feeling a lot more comfortable with this woman than she had just moments ago. The Konti could tell the woman who regarded her across the counter knew what she was doing and that she’d come to the right place.

Kavala also nodded to Rosela’s comment on the time frame. She trusted the woman to know her craft enough to know what took what in terms of length of time. “That sounds like a solid idea. But I want you to know I trust your judgement, so if you are putting them together and see a way to do something a bit better or to make things easier on you as a seamstress, please don’t hesitate to do so. I’m just mainly concerned about the spirit of the garments, so I don’t need them planned down to the last detail. That is your field of expertise.” Kavala leaned a hip against the counter and looked thoughtful.

The Healer noted the look of shock on Rosela’s face and offered her the kind of smile that was almost apologetic. “I find…” She started out thoughtfully, paused, and then looked Rosela over. “We are not often, as professionals, paid what we are worth when it comes down to the bottom line. Sometimes we make up for coin in exchange for the prestige of being able to say things like someone is wearing my garments or that is my design. I am a healer and often people are not able to pay. But to me sometimes it is more than enough for me to say I’ve saved someone’s life or more likely the life of their trusted horse or lifelong companion dog. I heal more animals here than people, though I can do both. I am robbing you of the right to say you designed something beautiful that myself and my family will wear for generations to come. The coin is an attempt to make up for that and to show you that I do value your skill and trust in your expertise in making something for me and mine. And there will be more, certainly, and it is my hope that if these turn out well, you will allow me to place more custom orders with you.” Kavala said, shifting and leaning the other hip against the counter.

It was then that the thick cloak she wore against the chill parted, and Rosela could tell that she was pretty far along with child. The Konti carried the pregnancy well, moving like one of the warriors in the city, but without having a good look at her form, it wasn’t easy to tell that was exactly what was happening with the Konti.

“My apologies. My name is Kavala Denusk. I own The Sanctuary outside of Riverfall. We breed and board horses and act as animal healers and Kelvic midwives in the area. My family, mostly Drykas, live there with me. My brother, his twins, and a few employees and adopted family round out the group. We are reverent of Rak’Keli and I take honoring her seriously.” It was an introduction and also a diversion. The robes were not for the worship of Rak’Keli, though Kavala had implied it deliberately. The were instead for the Cytali Cadre that Kavala was restarting. She wanted the group formal, interactive, and very devote. “And you are Rosela. Your reputation precedes you. I was told to look for your shop and only here.” Kavala said, extending a hand to shake one of the other woman’s. She wasn’t sure which one, so she simply extended and let Rosela decide which to shake with if she chose too at all.

Glancing around, the Konti smiled. "Do you mind if I look around? I need a dress for the Beautyfest that will fit me, nothing special though, and perhaps some gifts for the ladies I left at home." Kavala said, eyeing all the lovely clothing.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Rosela on November 1st, 2013, 2:14 pm

Happy that her idea had been well-received, Rosela put the design paper to the side, to be filed away with the other design notes she'd be making on this project. She'd need her supply list, as well as a running tally of which robes from the measurement list had been completed. The number of stones that went into the first robe, so she knew how many to ask for, would also need to be kept track of...

Stopping herself from descending into her planning, she smiled up at the woman, grateful for her consideration. "Thank you for being so thoughtful. This isn't necessarily a complicated piece of work, so the volume is the only consideration. I'm confident that won't be a problem though."

Rosela tilted her head slightly as her customer spoke, feeling a fellow entreprenourial spirit. So she was a healer, an animal healer at that. Could this be...Kavala of the Sanctuary? Her conversation, or interrogation, depending on how one looked at it, with Riaris came flooding back to her. She felt a twinge of guilt for her planned investigation of the woman. "Thank you, and I mean that sincerely. The knowledge that I have completed such an undertaking will be enough. Don't get me wrong - the mizas help," She laughed genially, attempting to lighten the mood. "But simply walking down the street and seeing someone wearing my designs is enough to make my work worthwhile."

Smiling knowingly, Rosela nodded as her suspicions were confirmed. She reached out and clasped Kavala's hands with two of her own. "Your reputation precedes you as as well, Kavala Denusk. I've had the pleasure of outfitting a few of your associates in the past. Most recently, Riaris Dovukalis. He's a..." She glanced down at the burdgening stomach between them. "Friend of yours?" She considered elaborating on the conversation, but given that it had ended with him inviting her out for drinks, she figured she would be better off gauging Kavala's reaction first. Given that her family lived at the Sanctuary, she could safely assume that the employees and tenants of the place were to be the recipients of the robes. What were they up to out there? Rak'keli was the goddess of healing, if she remembered correctly, and nothing about these robes implied a medicinal use. If she had to guess, these robes reminded her more of Akajia than anyone else, though she could see, frustratingly, that Kavala wasn't marked by Akajia. Riaris was dead-set on talking about the goddess though, to the point where she couldn't help but wonder if it was related. "We talked quite a bit while he was here," she continued. "He's quite devoted to Akajia, from what I gathered. Does he also worship Rak'keli?"

Rosela brightened at the prospect of another sale and gestured happily towards the women's section. "We have a wide variety of maternity wear. If you're looking for something for Beautyfest, I'd recommend a nice dress, maybe something long with an empire waist," She pulled her hands horizontally under her chest, indicating the height of the waist. "And not too fancy so you can still wear comfortable shoes." She'd learned from enough pregnant anecdotes that swollen ankles were apparently a problem, only strengthening her resolve to not let the unpleasant condition happen to her. "See anything you like?"

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kavala on November 2nd, 2013, 4:20 am

Kavala offered a smile. “For the expert seamstress, it might not seem complicated. But to me it looks like a true work of art and very very difficult.” Kavala offered, knowing while Rosela might be speaking modestly, there were things she could do that probably very few if any in Riverfall could accomplish. Kavala nodded, reading the pride in the woman’s face as pride in her own work. Kavala could understand that. “Well perhaps we could acquire a few pieces to wear on the street so you don’t miss the feeling of satisfaction. Plus, I would be proud to wear one of your garments. I know people already talk of them.” Kavala said, looking thoughtful.

“Thank you for the kind words. Riaris? Yes. I would call him a friend, for sure. This is his child I am carrying.” Kavala said, studying Rosela’s features. “To be honest, we don’t talk much. At least not about faith. I had no idea he was devoted to Akajia. I would know if he was marked by Rak’keli and he is not. I don’t seem to get him to talk much. You must have a gift.” Kavala said, a bit of uncertainty coloring her voice. She dropped her gaze, then glanced up at Rosela again as if assessing her looks and personality and seeing someone that was indeed easy for a man to speak with. Her hand reached down and rested on her stomach, gently stroking the life there. She didn’t know what to say. She was glad Riaris was capable of opening up to people, even if it wasn’t her. But that also meant she was not made of the type of material that caused people to open up to her. Kavala had ever been the good listener, but when it came to men she often made poor choices. Was Riaris another poor choice? By the Gods she hoped not.

Kavala didn’t know what to say, so when Rosela gave her an out – shopping for maternity wear, she was more than willing to take it. Relief colored her features. The Eypharian was intimidating to the Konti, not just because she was beautiful, but because of her level of confident sophistication. Kavala was more of a down in the dirt, salt of the earth type Konti. When she looked at Rosela it was a reminder of what she’d never be.

“Yes, definitely. A dress for the beautyfest and a few other things. I actually think I saw one that caught my eye already. The white one with the green garden motif and the orange design. I think its gorgeous and it looks ample enough for my middle.” Kavala said, gesturing over to a dress hanging up in the maternity section of the shop. It was lovely, with colors in greens and oranges backed in white. She gazed longingly over at it, then looked back at Rosela.

“I’d like to get some new leather pants as well, ones with the inserts in the crotch so that I can ride. Not sized for maternity, but for after. I’ll get back to my same size. I did with my last child.” Kavala said, certain of what she said. Looking around, she spotted a display of them and smiled. “Oh.. you have them already made. Great!” She exclaimed, somewhat excited by that fact. She’d look at them in a few minutes when she got over to that section.

“Now I know you have a very classy place, but I was wondering… if you could make me up some gloves and aprons in leather, something beautiful but simple, that I could use in my healing work. I’d love something in rich jewel tones... like maybe a ruby red, a deep blue, or maroon rather than the standard brown or black. Something that would be easy on blood stains. Whatever leather you have in stock is fine. I… I just wondered if you could do something like that, roomy for my expanding middle.”
Kavala said, looking thoughtful and flushing slightly.

At Rosela’s invitation, Kavala browsed through the shop, looking to see what she had. After almost no contemplation at all, she picked out five colorful scarves for the girls in her family at home… some were not related by blood, but Kavala did not care. The colors were suited to each woman, ones they would like. She wandered around touching this and that, admiring the woman behind the counter’s work. Rosela’s clothes were exquisite and definitely paid attention to the detail. There were pockets that were fashionable and accessible, hidden sometimes to more conform to the style of the clothing. The fabrics were outstanding, and something of a marvel because the colors were all things that appealed to Kavala. Sometimes she found clothing in other shops garish and underwhelming. The clothing merchants in the city often tried to start fashion, and those fashions weren’t always within the best taste.

But here was something special. Kavala fingered a cape lined with white fur, probably fox or wolf, and another cloak that was resplendent enough to not only cover her but keep her snuggly warm in the winter. The fur inside the cloak was a buttery cream, wolf again, but this time one from the Sea of Grass definitely a summer fur.

Two pairs of leather pants with combat inserts joined the growing pile on the counter, something Kavala was grateful Rosela carried for ladies. Most men were sexist enough to think that women didn’t fight. They did. And eying Rosela’s wrist, Kavala suspected she was handy with something. A smile played across her face. Maybe she tested for her Kuvan status with dressmakers sheers. The thought caused the Konti to laugh out loud and she glanced over at Rosela.

“For all that you are lovely and graceful, I noticed the Kuvan mark. I just… “
The Konti laughed again, this time like an old friend would laugh at another in good humor. “I just pictured you wielding your dressmakers sheers and I was momentarily terrified. Especially if you had more than one pair.” Kavala said, pointedly glancing at Rosela’s numerous arms. The Konti’s tone was teasing, as she added a pair of colorful skirts with a drawstring waist to the growing pile. The dress she had admired also went up to the counter as well as two linen shirts that matched the skirts.

“I think I’d better quit while I’m ahead. I’ll come back though, perhaps to shop for my brother. He’s woefully under dressed with only a few nice pieces unless hes went shopping without me.”
Kavala said, and leaned against the counter waiting for Rosela to tally up her bill. She’d have to leave and return with the coin before collecting her purchases, but then again no one carried 500 mizas on them plus the shopping she’d just done. When she did the mental tally at the counter she realized she was at two hundred and fifty six gold mizas and eight silvers. So hastily she went back and picked out a leather shirt for another two silver to round out the sum completely. When she was done shopping, she leaned against the counter, suddenly tirred.

Secret :
Cotton x 1.25
Silk x25
Leather x2

2 Aprons (leather) 6sm = 1.2 GM
2 Shirts (wool) 1.5sm = 3 SM
1 Cape, half (fur - wolf) = 20 GM
1 Cloak (fur - wolf) = 10 GM
2 Gloves (leather) = 2 GM
5 Scarf (silk) = 125 sm or 12.5 GM
2 Skirt (cotton) = 10 sm or 1 GM
Dress (silk) = 200 sm or 20 GM

Total = 67 GM
Last edited by Kavala on November 12th, 2013, 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Rosela on November 12th, 2013, 4:58 pm

The thought that even after such a large order that this woman still had money to spend was nearly mind-boggling. Just how profitable was the animal healing business? While Rosela herself could technically afford to spend this much as well, she had nowhere near enough that she'd be out spending this much on clothing alone. "Please, feel free to browse. If you don't see something you'd like on the floor, let me know and I can either custom make it for you, or I may just have it in the back." The pitch was often recited, and it felt almost silly in the face of the enormous amount of custom work she was just presented with.

Rosela blushed and smiled at the Konti's flattery, easily susceptible to her kind words, and put a modest hand to her cheek. "Oh, it's nothing like that... He was in buying some clothing and we talked for a while." The knowledge that Riaris had fathered a child with this woman was slightly disconcerting, and threw a large rock into the still pond of her plans. Granted, the plans hadn't been fully formed yet, so the pond was more of a puddle, but she'd liked knowing she had something on him, should she choose to use it. As time wore on however, the information would be less valuable, if it wasn't useless already. Would Kavala care that the father of her child had flirted harmlessly with her? She didn't even know he was devoted to Akajia, something that had appeared to be integral to his being, so how well did she know him at all?

Eyes down on the measurement sheet, she watched Kavala move about the shop in her peripheral. If she didn't know the father of her child that well...was it possible they weren't formally together? Was Kavala only one of those baby-women to him? A Nakivak? But he'd come in for courting clothes for her... Perhaps it hadn't worked out? The situation was infuriatingly unclear.

Regarding the leather pants, Rosela looked up and smiled, happy she'd be selling a pair of them. "Yes, I do keep some in stock. The men's sell fairly quickly, but the women's are only just popular enough to keep out here." She leaned forward on the counter and cast an eye over to the men's section, specifically the men's padded pants. She didn't need to restock them - yet - but was always looking for more things people needed. These pants in particular, she'd never thought of stocking, until enough custom orders convinced her otherwise.

"Gloves? Oh yes, I know I have a couple gloves and aprons in the back. Here, let me just get a couple for you to look at..." Bustling into the back, she immediately made her way to the leather accessories rack. They weren't common sellers, so she didn't spend the room in the front displaying them, but she was suddenly grateful she had the foresight to have made them. Grabbing a variety of aprons and gloves, she went back to the front, organizing them amongst her hands.

"You're not interested in natural color leather at all, right? I don't have many left of it; just sold a big order of them at the end of last season..." She set them out on the counter, next to where Kavala had piled an extraordinary amount of items. The abacus of her mind whirled again and she promised herself a nice dinner at the Crystal Rose after this. "I've got red, black, and natural leather gloves, though we're out of the extra small size in the red and black. If you're going to be working in them though, maybe you'll want a bigger size anyway." Moving to the side, she spread out the aprons as well. "Here's the red and black aprons. A little bigger, but at least you can tie them tighter once you, you know..." She waved a hand vaguely, her Common failing to find the correct turn of phrase. "...Have birth. I have a couple with a nice. little flower pattern tooled in around the edge as well. Here's the red and...where is it.. Aha, here's the black." Arranging them so the more feminine ones were one top, she spread her hands in presentation.

She blinked in surprise and turned up the wrist with her Kuvan mark as though to inspect it. "Oh thank you! I tested in the shortbow, actually, not long after I arrived in the city. Funny you should mention shears though," She laughed shortly. "I'm actually learning a bit of the dagger recently. I'm not very good yet though. You know, I have no problem sewing with two hands, but it's a lot harder than it looks to use two daggers at the same time. Have you taken the test? I thought it was something that was just expected when you came to the city, but there's so many people who haven't taken it yet."

Shopping clearly done, Rosela flipped through the clothing on the table, tallying up the purchase. "Cotton...fur... Okay, it comes to 60 gold mizas even. In addition to the downpayment for the robes, your total comes to 560gm."

Price breakdown :
2 leather aprons = 6sm*2 = 1gm 2sm
2 wool shirts = 1.5sm*2 = 3sm
1 half cape leather/fur = 2gm for leather + 10gm for fur = 12gm
1 cloak leather/fur = 1gm+10gm = 11gm
2 leather gloves = 1gm*2 = 2gm
5 silk scarves = 2.5gm*5 = 12gm 5sm
2 cotton skirts = 5sm*2 = 1gm
1 silk dress = 20gm

Total: 60gm

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Next