Completed Training the Squire for war [Fallon]

Our hero spends some time training Fallon for war

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Training the Squire for war [Fallon]

Postby Markus Andres on September 12th, 2013, 3:33 pm

Autumn 17th of 513 AV. 8 in the morning.

Markus' feet carried him through a part of the fortress he rarely saw these days. He had little reason to be in there anymore. The squire dormitories. He wore the knightly uniform, heavy plate and mail underneath. He wasn't exactly silent as he moved through the hallway. On his back, the heater shield was strapped, adding to the clanking sound that the knight produced. By his left side he bore the Bastard that he rarely left behind, but much more prominently and proudly displayed above was a recent addition to his attire, a cold iron dagger that had been gifted to him by the very woman he was about to visit. He had made sure that it was located in such a way that she would notice that he was carrying it with him. He wore no helmet that day. He rarely did outside direct combat. Was a liability as much as a life saviour. In this case, the lack of helmet meant he could hear himself as he moved. A sound he has mostly gotten used to by now. Being in a city with five thousand knights, you either got used to it or you were driven to insanity.

The previous day, Markus had run into his fellow knight, Sera Druva. Patron knight to both Kreig and Fallon. Both squires he knew by more than name. Only a ten-day earlier he had been out in the wilderness to retrieve Kreig, before then, the two had turned vigilantes in order to exact vengeance upon some vile scum of human waste. The other squire, for whom the vengeance had been exacted, was a woman Markus was dating and was having a heavy crush upon. Sera Druva had offered that he could train Fallon the next day, Markus had jumped at the opportunity to spend more time with the squire.

Of course, he would have to act professionally. Couldn't be doting at her every word and neglect her training. Be a proper knight and show her the ropes. His gauntlet struck her door without hesitation, this was duty, not pleasure. ”Fallon?” His voice carried an authoritative edge – Just as the word had left his mouth, Markus remembered he usually called squires by their last name to keep a professional distance to them. Not breed familiarity and keep them disciplined. He hadn't even begun the lesson and he was already breaking his knightly routine.
Markus Andres
The OTK

Words: 1104443
Joined roleplay: September 14th, 2010, 7:43 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

Postby Fallon on September 13th, 2013, 1:00 pm

Fallon inhaled deeply. She had been awake for a while now, sorting herself out and pulling herself into shape, pulling on layers of clothing, followed finally by the padded training jacket she wore frequently. She found there was little point in her even trying to wear plate and mail, it served often more as a danger to herself than doing its actual job in protecting. Once she reached knighthood however, perhaps then she would get something that fitted slightly better. Tulwar at her side, she took up the shield she had borrow from the armoury itself.

Pulling on her boots, she tugged at the laces and pulled them together. Orvin himself had pressed himself up against her, his large head pressing against her back. She gave him a push away, her hand rubbing at the side his head, “Not now Orvin. In a moment,” she pulled the second one on and proceeded to deal with it, at least until the knocking came. It was with a loud, boisterous bark that Orvin answered the door. His fur bushed out, his eyes grew sharp, even as Fallon stood. Her tone grew sharp her hands firm as she gave the wolf a push to the side, “Down! Heel! Oh Shyke! Down!”

She wrapped a firm arm around his neck and pulled him back, muscles straining as he protested. There was a loud yip, a whine of protest as he squirmed away and out of her grip. For a few chimes there was a mad scrabble against the door, the squire pushing aside her companion who insisted on yapping at whoever was beyond. Breaking through the crack in the door, the wolf bounded out at the knight who was there waiting for an answer. Giant paws pressed against him, a lapping tongue trying to reach for his face. Fallon herself however stood there, her expression fixed in horror even after the slobbering beast released him and was set to padding quite happily around them.

“Morning Ser Andres,” she gave a wince, her fingers tightening around the tulwar and the shield. In honesty, Fallon was always a little uncertain around the knight, he made her falter and stop on many occasions. Not that she could exactly complain, he did bring a strange lease of energy about him that gradually became harder to resist. And now, he was here once more though for more professional reasons no doubt, “You’re… training me today Ser?”

FALLON
Fallon | Coffee Codes | Skill Images

Fallon is a Master of Intimidation, "At this level, a Master intimidator often unconsciously intimidates their target unless the intimidator monitors their stance, tone, and actions to prevent this. Master intimidators will nearly always have a reputation that precedes them unless they have taken special care to prevent it."
Fallon
The Red Wolf

Words: 2242110
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2013, 4:24 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Markus Andres on September 24th, 2013, 7:59 pm

Something was rummaging around in there. He naturally heard Orvin react to the knocking on the door. Markus stood there impatiently waiting for the squire to get done and get out to him. He expected her to be a bit better prepared than this. When the door finally opened and Markus smiled anticipating the shy smile of Fallon to appear, instead a 110 pound heavy dog or wolf, Markus had never found out, came out at him. Markus knelt in response and felt the paws against his breastplate. Markus turned his head as the rough tongue licked up the cheek. A broad smile crossed his lips. He loved Orvin. He was a great dog/wolf. Markus' arms went around and patted Orvin on the powerful neck muscles and scratched him behind the ears.

"Awwhh, I missed you too, big boy." Markus said when the rough tongue had stopped and the big white dog was circling the couple. Markus smile was still fixed on his face as he wiped some of the wetness off of his face with his glove. "Why don't you ever greet me like that?" He said with a small chuckle. Somehow he expected her razor sharp wit to retort right away. Seeing her again made him happy. Made the smile on his lips that wider. The cheeks that bit redder.

"Yes, Sera Druva has entrusted you to me today." He looked up and down her body before a frown appeared. "You ought to wear full plate armour. Better to train in what you will be fighting in when the day for battle comes." There was the authoritative edge in his voice that he had been training to use upon squires. What he knew about leadership was that you needed to control your voice. Make sure you are respected by your subordinates. "Doesn't matter. We should head out. You ready to go now, or are you bringing Orvin along?" Markus saw the ears perk on the dog when his name was mentioned. Markus leant down and petted him on the head.
Markus Andres
The OTK

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Overlored (1)

Postby Fallon on September 24th, 2013, 9:17 pm

Fallon gave a blink, taken back slightly by the comment of the knight before answering, “What? Licking and slobbering all over your face? For some odd reason, I don’t think that is quite the right etiquette a squire should be practicing with a knight in public.”

She gave a wry smile, followed by a shrug. Orvin quietly worked his way round, sniffing and remembering, his tail beating madly. Fallon herself was torn between her companion and her other companion. To make sure that the shaggy beast did not run off to do something foolish and to pay full attention to the knight that was training her today was no easy task. So, standing to attention she looked to Markus, and occasionally glanced down at the wolf. Upon his second statement however, she cleared her throat ready to make a response. Whenever it came to her and plate, there was always one distinctive issue. None of it actually fitted. Even when gambesons were piled on and extra padding added wherever possible, a large quantity of it still managed to slip loose and off. Even the helmet had a tendency to lower before her eyes and blind her. No, she knew she was better off without such excess – it would only do more harm than good.

“Well, Ser Andres, there is a small issue in regards to wearing full plate. There is not enough in the way of padding to go round to even come close to having the issued set come close to fitting. And if there was well,” she gave a pause followed by a long sigh, “I would have to role my way to victory instead of doing anything remotely combat orientated. Which… sort of defeats the object of it in my perspective.” She cleared her throat, giving a glare down to Orvin, “Sit boy. Either way, if you really do think it is suitable for me to wear such equipment… well, you are the Knight Ser.”

As for Orvin, “Well… Orvin will only come with us should you allow it Ser Andres. It is your rule today after all.”

FALLON

Fallon is a Master of Intimidation, "At this level, a Master intimidator often unconsciously intimidates their target unless the intimidator monitors their stance, tone, and actions to prevent this. Master intimidators will nearly always have a reputation that precedes them unless they have taken special care to prevent it."
Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Markus Andres on September 29th, 2013, 8:04 pm

Despite knowing that her sassy response would come, he couldn't help but chuckle at it and he nodded conceding the point. Except Markus could think of at least a dozen squires who wouldn't mind that etiquette when it came to Fallon's own patron. It was time to get professional and treat her like all the other squires, this was on duty demand. Squire to knight relationships were not that uncommon but the rules were simple, no slacking off in discipline and do your duty first and put emotions on the back-burner for now. Her explanation for why she were not wearing plate armour had Markus' eyes furrow. Thinking of solutions to the problem. Thinking it was because she had only recently joined the knights and her musculature had not developed to carry the heavy armour like Markus had, the fact that Markus had gone beyond the basic requirements was an entirely other matter. His eyes went down over her body and for once there was no lust inherent in the superficial check. I smile crossed his lips when she spoke of rolling into the enemy.

"Fallon ball." She had to think a little herself to figure out what his imagination was throwing at him. But he had to curb such nonsense from his own mouth if he was going to train her properly. Sit boy - Markus looked up. Thinking she had spoken to him, for because of their relationship he could let many things slide, but such a direct breach of protocol, he could not. But seeing her eyes downward at Orvin. He looked back up at Fallon, his face serious again. He wouldn't mind Orvin accompanying them, but he had already had one run-in with a squire's dog who thought Markus was attacking its master. He would rather not repeat that incident again. Especially not with Orvin who was several times larger than Ball's dog.

"I will let the decision rest with you, if you feel you can control Orvin and he will not interfere with your training. Bring him. If not, he stays. Should you bring him and he interferes with the training there will be consequences." Markus said letting the word consequences hang there undefined. "And none-the-less, we won't be able to make it today, but I would rather see you training in plate in the future. I shall see if I can get an armourer to look at your armour and get it better fitted to your form. I cannot begin to tell you how many times my armour has saved my life." - That most of those battles had been with his own master was an entirely other matter and a whole new discussion should she ever learn that part of the truth. That was also why he'd rather see her in armour, Markus was confident he could control his sword should they spar, but he could not control the actions of a novice swordsman. They were unpredictable per nature of their unorthodox method and untrained patterns of combat. Markus would wait for her decision regarding Orvin before continuing.

"Ready? Let us go then. Sword and shield and general combat will be our focus today." Markus would say and turn toward the quickest route to the training area. Markus master, ser Mason had been adamant about training both Markus' physique and intellect, one had been more successful than the other. But he would attempt the same with Fallon, although he already knew she were intelligent. "I do not know how far in your training you have progressed and how much theoretical combat sera Druva has taught you. Have you heard of the four basic elements of defence? This applies directly to the use of sword and shield. What are those four basic elements, squire?" Calling his girlfriend for squire felt strange to Markus, but it was the nature of their different ranks and he would have to live with that aspect of their relationship.
Markus Andres
The OTK

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Overlored (1)

Postby Fallon on September 29th, 2013, 9:47 pm

Fallon gave a very definite frown, with a very distinctive sigh of annoyance to his ‘Fallon ball’ comment. There was a twitch, followed by a look of annoyance. She sucked in the air, shoulders straightening her eyes looking to him with a definite burn. The lids pinched and narrowed, the lip giving a twitch at him.

“What?” came the low, firm, under growl. It was far from the fact she did not hear him. Her brow lifted, the very pointed look at him, almost as if daring him to repeat what he said. Or at least until she drew her gaze away. There were other more important things to be thinking about than the chance for the knight to change what he had just said. She gave Orvin a scratch around the ears. The words of the knight finished her thoughts and allowed her to decided it better to leave the wolf within the dormitories, out of trouble and potential risk. For both Markus’ and Orvin’s safety. She gave him a firm rub, around the ears and then shooed him back inside. With a firm close of the door, she gave the nod to the Knight.

The shield was hoisted up onto her back, the tulwar adjusted on her belt as she made quick steps after him. She did not comment further about the armour issue, which would be for another time – though part of her still considered the idea bad. Plate armour seemed restrictive after all; it would slow her down, cut her flexibility and make her more of a target. Still, she would have to go by his word and what he preferred. He was the knight, and thus he was in charge. Following after the knight the squire focused on keeping her down and listening.

“Basic elements of defence?” Fallon questioned. It was something she had not heard of, or more over an alien concept, “I have not heard of them Mar- I mean, Ser.” There was a swallow as she remembered her place, “With respect to Sera Druva… I, well, she’s often busy teaching Kreig how not to poke his eye out or how not to fall off a horse,” she gave a shrug, “So no… I haven’t really been taught any theoretical combat. Or really a lot of combat.” There was a distinct wince at her own words, almost as if they were sour, “I’m a self taught for the most part.”

For a chime there was a long pause as she tried to consider what these four elements could possibly be, her mind trying to work through what defence she knew of with the sword and shield. There was of course, one obvious thought that came to her mind, “Well… Being able to avoid damage is always a good start I guess… so getting out the way of it, avoiding it, weaving and ducking. Quick feet and speed so… Dodging?” She looked hopefully up to Markus, “I have to say I’m not sure on the other three, or what I just suggested.”

FALLON

Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Markus Andres on September 30th, 2013, 1:54 am

Markus made a mental note not to call her Fallon Ball again. The angered look on her face told him that much. Still, as he averted his gaze and face from her, the smile did not waver from his face. Partly to hide the smirk, partly to avoid her venomous stare. Thinking both that he should be careful with his humorous quips in the future and that nicknames for Fallon might not be the best of ideas. Something he would not have known had he not accepted training her today. When his gaze came back on her, the smile was a bit more sheepish. That was all the apology she would get without him losing his knightly demeanour. He was happy and unhappy that she had decided to leave Orvin behind. He loved the little fellow and any time spent in his company was a blessing. But he would be a distraction to both Fallon and himself, it was best she had chosen to leave him behind.

Markus stepped down the hallways. Fallon close behind. Markus was used to hearing the footsteps of knights behind him. It was sort of unnerving that Fallon moved with such stealth compared to his knightly clatter. But he could hear her words and although Markus, her somewhat subtle apology for not knowing the elements of defence did little to Markus. Best if she'd just admit it and be on with it rather than give him apologies. Saved him time that could be better used explaining. But her apology however, did shine a light on Fallon's condition as a warrior.

"Self taught... I see." There was no emotion to his words. Just stating a fact. Fallon had perhaps revealed something of sera Druva he had rather not wanted to know, that she had her hands full with a single squire. Would explain why he was here today to train Fallon. She had her hands full with Kreig. Markus was deep in thought when the pause from Fallon appeared, the silence perfect. Self training oft left the person with glaring holes in the defence or bad habits that needed correcting. He knew Fallon to be intelligent and quick witted, her retorts to him told him that much. How it would reflect upon her fighting was going to be interesting and a smirk appeared at the edge of his mouth. It stayed there when Fallon spoke again, she were correct with the element of dodging. It spoke a little about her character, rather dodge than absorb and that was okay. The mirror opposite of Markus who used his physique to absorb the blow and in turn dish back. If Razkar had been around, he would have let him train Fallon, he would have been perfect trainer with his speed and talent.

"You are not wrong. Dodging is an essential part of combat, some say it is only second to balance in importance." He looked back at her as he continued talking. "Considering your physique and lack of armour, perhaps best if you follow that school of combat." There was no implied insult, once again, just stating a fact. Her size made it hard for her to fight as he did. Kreig, on the other hand, would be excellent candidate for Markus' style. "But your sword and shield are two of the elements, I know, so obvious you probably didn't even consider them. The last element of defence you can use to your advantage is range." Markus concluded with the most abstract of the four elements. Sword and shield were obvious to block or redirect the enemy attack, dodging was to avoid it, but what did Markus mean with range.

"Simply put, if your opponent can't reach you, you can't be harmed. If we were to fight each other." Markus patted the bastard sword to draw attention to it as his eyes went down to her tulwar. "I could strike you before your weapon could reach me. Thus, by maintaining a distance where I can only strike you and keep you out of range, I can control the fight to my advantage and maintain a defence you can't breach without first entering my range. The overall concept of these elements of defence is simple, apply any single of the defences and you'd theoretically be safe from harm. Theory is always easier than the practical part, which just happens to be what are going to do today. Any questions?" Markus turned a corner and realized they were nearing the training grounds and soon entered the area. Markus nodded to some knights who looked in his direction, a simple greeting, curt but to the point. He had a squire to train. He found a sufficiently empty place for the two.
Markus Andres
The OTK

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Overlored (1)

Postby Fallon on September 30th, 2013, 1:25 pm

Fallon regarded the broad back and shoulders she followed through towards the training grounds, the dulled beat of plate filling the space between. He did not look too impressed with her answer, in her opinion at least. And in turn it left her almost slightly recoiling. She almost brooded slightly as she continued to think through other points, and then to the lecture the knight gave. There was an absence of yes and no as he spoke, her eyes still looking more towards his back as opposed to his face when he gave a glance back.

There was no particular feeling to his verbal lesson; she was too focused on trying to put it into context. Words were simple things, but seeing and doing were another aspect of training. Still, she knew one thing. She was going to get a hard time today in training, no doubt to test her limits and how far she would be able to pull herself in a fight. She needed to be able to hold her own after all, and Markus? Well he was no doubt far above her own level. Shoulders rolled, the firm tap of the shield strapped to her meeting her spine. She had to get used to a lot, sooner rather than later. It was necessary for her to do so. Eyes drifted down to his shadow.

Markus was a man who could take a lot of brute force and return it. He was a giant of a man, and a true model knight capable of both wearing the armour and using it to its full capability. She on the other hand, well, she had serious doubts on being able to do the same. She was a creature made to be fast, to be swift and nimble, or to use her head instead in situations. Even she knew she would be much better off in the shadows trying to find out things. And the more she thought about it, the more she came to terms with perhaps that she was not best suited for such an order. Her brow creased further, shoulders hunching slightly inwards. Even at his question she was silent, or at least until she registered it, “No Ser, no questions.”

As they entered the grounds, there were a few glances from other Knights and squires, and whilst Markus gave his short, sharp greetings, Fallon focused on simply following after him and staying out the way. When they stopped however in the empty space, the squire made herself stand to attention and the expression she wore to that of neutral – or as close as she could bring. The tips of her brow had a habit of knitting slightly. From there she would listen and follow orders as they were dictated to her. He was in charge, she had to obey; nothing more. Toes gave a wriggle, her fingers tensing as she awaited what was next to come in her lesson.

FALLON

Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Markus Andres on October 1st, 2013, 1:43 am

Markus gave a glance over his shoulder when she replied negatively to his question. He would have thought she'd have perhaps a question or two, but she looked deep in thought and he got the feeling that she had not really been listening. Something was nagging at her thoughts and diverting her attention away from him and Markus didn't like that idea. Though as they stood there in the training area, he could see that her attention had returned and her expression was a bit more attentive to him now. He hoped the wavering attention would not become a recurring problem.

"Alright. Let us start." Markus said as he reached back for his shield. Casually sliding his arm into the straps. Biceps bulging beneath the armour as he gripped the strap and made sure his hold was secure. "Stay your blade." He said softly as he drew his own blade. He slid his left foot back, the shield-side foot. He reached out with the Bastard and placed the very tip of the blade on Fallon's shoulder. "My range. Show me yours. Remember that range." "Ideally in combat, you would layer your defences so you never only rely on one defence. If the attack slips by your shield, don't be where the strike would land or have your sword ready to block the strike." A dangerous smile appeared on his lips. "So for this exercise we will be training your defence. The rules are simple. Don't let me hit you and no leaving this training area. Should this happen, your reward will be ten push ups and ten squats and then resume your fighting stance. Ready?" When he mentioned the training area, he pointed to some markers that distinguished areas from one another. Markus enjoyed physical punishment, not corporeal punishment, which he himself had loathed as a squire. He could understand the practical application of corporeal punishment, would not let the squire forget the lesson or fear to break the rule again. However, physical punishment. Trained the squire to strengthen themselves upon failure. Make it easier for them to improve in the future. Markus pulled his blade back away from her shoulder and readied himself.

He would wait for the squire to be ready before he would start. He would give her a nod and then unleash the first of his attacks. First test her shield side. Sword swinging in at a basic diagonal sweeping motion at her left shoulder. He would follow up with a direct thrust at the middle of her torso. No intention of actually impaling her, as such, his strength was not in the motion and his lethal thrusting attacks would intentionally fall short of impaling her. The swings and sweeps would be with the flat side of the blade rather than the sharp edges. Considering it was his girlfriend he was sparring against, he would personally have preferred a blunted weapon - however, the actual danger that Fallon might feel, might spur her to do better. That was the logic behind him not changing the blade for a safer one. That was where his sense of duty stepped in and whisked away his personal preferences.
Last edited by Markus Andres on October 20th, 2013, 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Markus Andres
The OTK

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Overlored (1)

Postby Fallon on October 3rd, 2013, 8:54 pm

It was in a fumble that Fallon reached for the tulwar and pulled the shield from her back. She slipped it on with a bit of difficulty, the straps being tightened around her arm and the grip tested. After that she drew the blade – admittedly with a nervous glance to the point tip that hovered at her shoulder. She stretched her own arm out, the tip barely meeting his elbow as she did. Already she was at a disadvantage; he had the range after all. And the experience. Swallowing she withdrew it, a sheepish glance towards him as she prepared herself as quickly as possible.

She did not want to waste any more of his time. Eyes looked to the markers and the surrounding space, her mind trying to create a lay out in which she could manoeuvre. She could not take a direct hit, nor could she be pushed out of the space. And the blows were going to come at her with live steel. There was a swallow, her brow creasing as she shifted her weight around. The left foot went back, the small shield coming forward, ready to defend. Shoulders rolled, eyes darting to the tip of the sword and along the length of the blade to him. Her weight shifted round, a loud swallow as the first strike came round.

Flinching she focused on moving the shield into place to intercept it. The block – if could even be called that – was slow and uncertain, the squire quickly backing off and to the side as it struck and scraped. She hesitated for a tick and took a quick leap back. Toes strained and wobbled, back arching as she glanced back to see the edge of the training space. Eyes widened, her mind giving a shout as she thought of only one thing, get back in – quickly. Shoulders went down, her teeth gritted the tulwar blade being brought back behind her so she could still use it.

She had to close the gap, she knew that much. Knees bent, the shield pressing flat against her as she sprung forward shield first and aiming for his. To strike two forces against the other even she knew that there would be a rebound from it. Then of course there was the possible knock back from Markus, but that was part of the risk she would have to take. Absorb the knockback, pivot round and use the force to push her back into the safety of the box. From there she would focus on getting around and behind him, ripping away the moment an attack looked as if it was coming her way.

Learn his moves and patterns, and from there exploit them.

FALLON

Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Next