Open [The Sanctuary] A New Bloom

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

[The Sanctuary] A New Bloom

Postby Faryon Whiteflower on September 26th, 2013, 7:47 pm

Timestamp: 16th of Autumn, 513AV

It was just past noon bell but that was just a rough estimate from the position of the sun. The weather was starting to cool off from the summer heat and a few of the trees along the road were changing colors for Autumn. Faryon Whiteflower was riding on Kachal, her bonded Strider with her Seme filly, Rhyni next to them, pulling a small cart. The small entourage had been travelling across the Sea of grass for the better of the past season, to get to the city of Riverfall. If Faryon had gone just on Kachal she would have reached the city in a decent amount of time but Rhyni wasn't built for speed but for strength so it took a bit longer. But it wasn't the city itself she seeked but a facility that lies 2 miles north of the city.

The Sanctuary, a healing place for humans, kelvics and various animals alike, also breeding horses and dogs. The teen hoped to get a job here and further her study in medicines, herbalism, and philtring, maybe even learn some about animal husbandry. Coming from the Opal clan, she had a great passion for helping the sick and wounded.

Faryon and her horses stood outside what looked to be the main horse entrance. Now that she was here the young Drykas was unsure how to proceed and was extremely nervous all of a sudden. All she knew was the owner was a Konti woman by the name of Kavala. With a hand on each of their shoulder, Faryon lead them through the gate, one at a time. She had a harder time with Rhyni and the cart but they managed to squeeze in.

They were now in a big courtyard and riding area. Faryon unhooked the seme to relive her of the cart and free to stretch her legs some without it. The Drykas tethered them to the fence close by giving them a fair amount of leeway. She knew they wouldn't wander far and hoped no one tried to take them.

"Well here goes nothing right guys? Wish me luck." Patting them on their hindquarters before making her way further in.

Faryon was unsure where to go so she kinda meandered in a general location and prayed to Rak'keli it was the right way. Passing a large body of water she found an entrance or maybe it was an exit, either way she decided to go inside. The building looked to be a high end clinic. Since she had no idea where else to go she spoke up, "Um.. Hello?" she slightly called out. Hopefully someone was near to hear her.
Last edited by Faryon Whiteflower on October 3rd, 2013, 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faryon Whiteflower
Healer/ Herbalist in training

Words: 52395
Joined roleplay: September 23rd, 2013, 2:08 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Kavala on October 3rd, 2013, 9:15 am

The Konti was in trouble, and all the help she had for the day was gone. There was an emergency in the clinic, the case that had come in just thirty minutes before, dropped off by a concerned owner. And while Kavala had agreed to help - what other choice did she really have? - there was no extra set of hands to help her.

And the truth was, the situation with the drop-off was so dire that it was to the point that if nothing was done immediately, it could be a situation the client couldn't recover from. So, Kavala gathered supplies in the healing barn, had the client in the last big area where they preformed major surgery and simply prayed loudly to Rak'keli to send her another set of hands. Send Aweston home early, or bring Chalce back from her wanderings. Maybe Vanator would come home with Sybel before too long. Or Caelum. God let it be Caelum... he'd be the best help of all.

But no. No one came. And so Kavala wrapped a smock around her expansive middle and stared at the stallion standing at the far side of the barn, head down, groaning.

"Guess its just you and me. We'll do our best... our very best. But no promises, big guy. I can't fight with you though. So you'd better be on your very best manners or this can't happen. And that pain you feel? It's only going to get worse... and fast. I know it hurts. But I'm going to make it feel better. I promise. But only if you behave."
She said, moving to the sink and cranking the pump to wash up though what she was really doing was stalling for time.

It was then, Kavala heard the voice. It was a soft feminine hello. And while it wasn't in the same building she was in, The Sanctuary wasn't at its height of activity so she was able to ear the visitor's words. Slipping out of the barn and passing the distance on a stone walkway to the clinic, Kavala stuck her head in the open door.

"Hello. Hurry. I need some help. I just asked Rak'keli to send me some, and you showed up. So I'm guessing you are my assistance. We need to get scrubbed. I have a surgery I have to do immediately, but I can't do it alone. It's an emergency so it can't wait for the rest of the staff to get home, and they are all off site right now." The voice came from a rather round Konti that spoke common with a heavy pavi accent. Kavala noted nothing and no one was with her. There were no dogs, cats, or injured birds of prey. No litter of kittens was carried in a basket and there was no fear in the woman's face, only nervous curiosity.

That meant she wasn't another client. That meant she was here for something else.

"I'm Kavala Denusk, Denusk Pavilion of the Sapphire Clan. Who are you? You can help right?"
The very pregnant Konti said, offering a gesture of respect and greeting, one of the grassland signs that clearly noted a friendship offered. Without waiting for a response, Kavala beckoned and then turned and left the clinic through the same double doors she'd entered. Rapidly, she crossed the small garden between the clinic and what appeared to be a surgical barn of some sort.

"I don't care if you don't have any medical experience. I do. What I need is a strong set of arms that aren't attached to a body that's going to have a baby sometime soon... a situation that prevents me from wrestling horse legs around which are far too heavy for me but should be just fine for a teen like you."
The Konti said, grinning.

"I'll pay you for your time, of course, but we have no time. A horse's life is in danger."
She said, crossing into the barn and walking down the length to the eastern most end. "This semele stallion has a rather large bladder stone that's impacted his urethra finally. He can't urinate, and the urine is building up in his bladder. It is going to kill him if we don't operate. And I can't operate with him on his feet." Kavala explained, showing the teen the chocolate stallion with the flaxen mane and tail that was standing there groaning. His nose was inches off the stone floor and his long penis was showing, his abdomen around its base swollen. "If his bladder ruptures he won't live. I just get frustrated at owners. They should have seen this was a problem when he was first getting the stone. They take years to develop. He'd have blood in his urine, have trouble doing so, or would have shown signs of pain while urinating... panting, gasping, even sweating. This stallion should never have gotten this far." Kavala said, shaking her head sadly.

"What I need to do is get him down on the ground, knock him out, and cut that stone out of his bladder without managing to get any urine into his body cavity and making sure hes going to be completely clear from urinary tract outwards so he can get his blood cleansing his body properly again."
Kavala said, giving the girl as much information as she could.

"I will knock him down, but someone has to lift each of his legs and attach him to that hoist with the four danging shackles. Then we hoist him up, brace his head, and make sure hes on his back for the surgery. We take the pressure off his legs, make him hold his weight upside down, then do the surgery. When hes all patched up, we gradually wake him up and see how hes doing. What I need you to do is once I get him down might only consist of hooking his legs to that block and tackle. We can hoist him up above and settle him back down on his back." Kavala said, pointing out the sturdy rafters and the ropes that would need to be manhandled around the stallions hooves.

"Well, what do you think? Can you do it? Can you help me with the grunt work?"
Kavala said, all business now.
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Faryon Whiteflower on October 4th, 2013, 7:16 am

Faryon didnt have to wait long for someone to reply to her placid hello. A lady with startling white hair and azure blue eyes popped her head in. She was slightly taller than Faryon but was quite pregnant and round. The teen didn't even get a chance to introduce herself or state her reason for randomly being in the clinic when the woman stated she needed help.

Being a healer all she needed to hear was 'Needed help' and she snapped into action. She told Faryon she asked Rak'keli for help and at the mention of the goddess name, she knew it to be true why else would Faryon have had such a strong pull to this place. The konti women continued to explain the situation, that it was an emergency and was short staffed at the moment.

She introduced herself as Kavala Denusk, Denusk Pavilion of the Sapphire Clan. Oh so this is the infamous Kavala, I should have known Faryon thought to herself before replying likewise."I'm Faryon Whiteflower, Whiteflower Pavilion of the Opal Clan. I can help however you need me to. I'm use to human clients but I have dambled with horses mainly my Strider stallion when he was a colt."

It was a relief that Kavala knew Pavi and the grassland sign, helped remind her of home and made things easier. She had nothing against Common but Pavi always seemed more beautiful to her especially sign. Faryon quickly followed Kavala across a small garden as she continued to listen what the Konti woman needed of her, which apparently was to calm a horse as Kavala tended to it.

The young Dryka couldn't understand why people would wait so long to bring in the stallion when clearly it takes a long time to get to this point. She shook her head in anger but looked at it as at least they brought him in at all. Kavala brought her to the beautiful stallion who clearly looked miserable. The state he was in she didnt think he would put up much of a fight, he just lacked the energy and wanted to feel better.

Running a hand down his neck, she whispered to him softly as she listened to Kavala's instructions. "Shhh, it will be ok we will fix you all up but I'm going to need you to work with us. This woman has the experience needed to do it but she's with child so be nice ok?" Faryon tapped into her gnosis making the sigil upon her brow glow slightly and let the power flow through her into the stallion. The teen hoped to ease his pain some.

Faryon was unsure why they needed to have the stallion upside but she did know horses couldn't be on their sides for long so this must be the only way, Kavala was the expert not her.

"I can keep him where you need him to be." Faryon confirmed with a determined nod.
Faryon Whiteflower

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Kavala on October 4th, 2013, 5:32 pm

Kavala nodded. With that settled she got to work. There was no sense in scrubbing again until the two women had the stallion in place, because that meant touching him all over his coat. Once he was up and ready, she'd get both her and Faryon scrubbed. So instead, she went to one of the big cupboards, took out a towel, and then a large jar of liquid. She opened the jar, turned her face away from it, and dumped a portion of the contents on the towel until the towel was saturated. She then walked to the stallion, stroked his neck, talked softly to him, and ran her hands down to his head, bending to get him to lift it slightly. Then she quickly brought the towel up to his nose, covered his nostrils and lips with it, and held it firmly in place, her hands linked through his halter until the horse's eyes went wide.

Kavala switched to Pavi as her primary language. "Sleep, big fella. We need you to go gently down. You'll have a good slumber and when you wake up, you won't be nearly as sore and everything will be fixed. Come on... breathe in for me... let yourself relax." Kavala wasn't cutting off his breathing, she was instead saturating his lungs with something that caused the horse to stagger. His eyes went half lidded and he took an awkward step forward, then tried to step backwards, and simply gently crumpled to his knees. Groaning, he stretched out, shuddered, and then relaxed completely. Kavala tossed the cloth aside and studied the big stallion sprawled on the floor of her surgery.

"He's not 'out out' but only very very relaxed and still aware. We need him out, but I wanted him down first before we did that." Kavala said, then moved quickly, padding the stallions head for a moment on another thick pad of stuffed linen, and then brought back a tube from another drawer. She shoved the tube up the stallion's nose gently, firmly working it deep down his throat. The healer fussed with the tube a bit, then bent to smell it. "Come here, Faryon. I want you to know about this." She said, holding up the end of the tube. "When you tube a horse, you can either slide down one side of their esophagus and into the lungs or you can hit the stomach. For most everything we want to hit the stomach. But you never never never want to make the mistake of tubing a lung when you want to give a medication to a horse because you can do real damage. So once the tube is in place, sniff the end of the tube and see what you smell. If you smell nothing, you are in the lung. If you smell this..." She held the tube out for Faryon to sniff the end coming out of the horse's nose... "Then you are in the right place."

The scent coming out of the tube was a very acidic fermented grass smell. In this case it almost smelled like beer because the horse had been given heavy amounts of grain which were being digested and fermented in his stomach. "Got it?" The healer asked, then went to get more medicine. She returned with another mixture and a funnel, attaching the funnel to the tube and pouring the mixture down it after elevating it. Then, once that was done deep in the horse's stomach, she stroked his head and watched his eyes. Within moments, his already half lidded eyes drifted closed, and he went still. She took a moment to check his heart rate, then peeled back his lips and pressed a thumb into the soft tissue until it was white. Then she watched the blood come rushing back into the soft gum, and knew his circulatory system was handling the drug well.

"Okay, lets get to work. Now's where you come in." Kavala said. "Grab those robes hanging from the ceiling and attach each one to his foot. Slide the shackles around his ankles and firmly buckle them." The rope was attached to shackles, much like a dungeon would have, though they were leather and carefully padded. "You'll have to lift a leg here and there, but becareful. He's a big boy and his legs are heavy." She said, standing up and moving over to the far side of the room where the block and tackle set up was ran through a series of pullies making the average human have the ability to lift an animals weight without strain just by tugging a rope.

Once Faryon had wrestled the horses legs into the shackles, Kavala began working the mechanism which turned out to be a hoist, and lifted the horse by his legs into the air. "Now Faryon, get on his head, make sure it doesn't come off the ground, bang anything etc. I'm just turning him on his back and holding him there by his legs... I don't need him waking up with a knot on his head or worse yet a broken skull. These stone floors are hard. And once his head is settled where its going to be, slide the pillow under it. You are going to have to lift with all your might. Some of these horses have heads that weigh a hundred pounds. Ready?" Kavala instructed, then began to work the mechanism again.

The horse was lifted by the crane until it was completely off the ground though its head was still touching. Kavala waited for Faryon to do as she'd been instructed, then Kavala gently let the horse down until his back was touching the ground and most of his weight was off his legs except to support them up and off the ground out of the healer's way.

Once the horse was in position, Kavala tied off the block and tackle crane set up and made sure the horse was secure. "We have about an hour to do this, so you'll need to scrub with me. Come on, lets get washed up." Kavala said, laying out a tray of items and setting it over by the horse. Then she went to the sink and scrubbed her hands, fingers, nails, and arms all the way to the elbow and slipped into a surgical apron. She went back to the horse and waited for Faryon to do the same.

"Now, I bet you are wondering why we have this horse on his back and not say doing surgery on him while hes just down on his side? There's a very good reason. His body cavity is filled with free growing organs. We want them all pressed to the floor to create a space in his upper chest and stomach so that when we cut into him like we have to do, we don't run the risk of hitting say his liver or kidneys or even his reproductive system channels. And with his legs up in the air, we have free space to work in between them under him without having to move around them. And finally, when you do a surgery, you don't want to look up into an animal or have to lay on the ground and cut upwards or sideways. The best practice is always to cut down and look down into a wound." Kavala said, setting the tray of things she would need on the horse's chest and then laying her hands on his abdomen just above where his penis sheath was. They glowed with her gnosis mark and sterilized the area they were about to cut into. Kavala then took the scalpel that was already laid out and made a small incision through the horse's skin.

"We get through the skin, then we have to hack through fat. He's a big boy, and has some fat on him."
Once the skin was opened, Faryon could see the fat layer which Kavala hacked through like a scythe cutting through wheat. She took more care when she exposed a grey and red layer beneath the five inches of fat. "This is his abdominal wall... muscles and tendons, identified by color. We cut carefully here." She said, and indeed did cut through them. Once they were opened and gaping, a dark cavity could be seen below. Kavala gestured off to the side. "See that light? The one that has the reflective mirror around the candle? Can you bring it over here? WE need more light while I root around and find his bladder." Kavala said, reaching across to the tray to pull off a couple of folded towels on it. She unfurled them on either side of the wound and soaked up blood that was just now seeping into the cut.

Then, as Faryon went to fetch the light, light it, and get it into position, the pregnant Konti sat up, reached into the horse's abdoninal cavity, and started rooting around. She pulled back, picked the scalpel again, and made the incisions bigger. Then, reaching in, she grasped what appeared to be a huge swollen balloon and pulled it out. She drew it as far out of the abdominal cavity as she could without damaging it, and frowned at the amount of liquid built up and at its irregular hard texture.

Once the light was set up, Kavala had Faryon go get more towels. "They are over there, under the counter. We are going to need to pad around this thing like crazy because once I cut into it, urine is going to leak out and we don't want it in his body cavity. We want it absorbed by the towels. Your job is to make sure that its not going to get spilled down him, in him, etc. So get a pile and get back over here on his other side and get ready to mop up." Kavala said. She had the bladder almost where she wanted it, and was poised over it with another scalpel. When Faryon was in place, Kavala made a cut into the bladder that made a harsh scraping sound. As the tissue parted, a yellowish stone that reminded Kavala of dried pillow coral from the ocean. The stone was huge, far larger than Kavala's fist for certain. Slowly, Kavala exposed it, then reached in with forceps and pulled it free. Urine spilled all over, leaking out of the opened up bladder and soaking into the towels around it.

Kavala tossed the huge stone onto the tray and then rooted around in the horses bladder, finding smaller ones that she pulled out as well. Finally she flushed the whole thing with a large glass tube of saline water, and didn't seem to mind as stones, pus, and blood laced urine soaked debris spilled down the horses' side, so long as it didn't go into his abdomen. She stuck her thumb into the bladder, inverted the tissue a bit so Faryon could see, and then commented.

"See how red and rough this is? That stone has been bothering him for years. His bladder walls should be smooth. Hopefully he'll hurt a whole lot less now."
Kavala said, releasing the tissue and then letting her glowing hands close up the wound. She then held the bladder in her hands for a few moments, cleaning out the rest of the infection with her gnosis and tucking the whole thing back into the body cavity. She nodded her approval at Faryon's jobs with keeping the towels changed out and mopping up rather than contaminating the horse, and then pushed aside the fat to view the open muscle. Her glowing hands closed out the muscle/tendon layer and then finally the fat layer. Once she was at the surface again, she struggled to put the skin back together where it would not scar and then closed that with her gnosis as well.

The Konti then struggled to her feet, her belly seeming to be in her way then reached for the tray. She put the tray on the counter, checked the horse's eyes and mouth again after a careful rinse of her hands, and then went to lower him from the hoist. Once the horse was laying on his side again, she nodded to the buckles around his ankles. "Take them off please? We need to sit here now and wait for his medication to wear off so he begins to wake up. Then once hes awake, we need to get him on his feet and walking." Kavala said, setting the whole mess from the surgery aside and beginning to clean up as Faryon dealt with the buckles and released the horse to simply lie on his side. Next the light was moved, snuffed out and removed to its place, and the towels were cleaned up and piled for the laundry that night.

With cleanup done, Kavala took a tired seat on a comfortable chair just outside of the surgery area and patted one beside it. "Sit. All we can do is wait for him to come out of it. I gave him enough for about a bell, so I figure wiht how long that took, hes going to wake up in about ten minutes. That went faster than I thought. You are good help." Kavala said, smiling at the new girl.

"Now would be a good time to tell me why you are here."
She said with a chuckle, watching the stallion's ear flick but otherwise relaxed. The pregnant konti looked tired, though she was trying not to show it.
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Faryon Whiteflower on October 13th, 2013, 5:54 am

The stallion was in capable and skillful hands, which was clearly evident through the whole surgery as Kavala explained everything she was about to do and as she was doing it. If Faryon had any shred of doubt on her abilities, they were gone in a short bell of meeting the konti woman.

What truly shocked her was the fact this Master healer was marked by Rak'keli and more than once it seems. The young Drykas haven't met anybody else to have been graced by her patron Goddess and now that she thought about it, Kavala had said she prayed to Rak'keli for some help. So, it all made sense now.

The surgery had gone without a hitch. Faryon did as she was told and found it easy to work along side the Konti. Even though Kavala explained why they were attaching the horse to the weird contraption, she still found it odd. She wasn't particularly too fond of smelling the tube and the acidic smell that came wafting up from it. Faryon understood the necessity of it but didnt mean she had to enjoy it. Oddly though the Drykas was fascinated when it came time to cut open the Seme. To see the various layers of fat then muscle awed the teen, not because of morbidity but out of curiosity and wanting to learn more.

The size of the kidney stone was huge. She was expected something along the lines of a small river rock or so but it was clearly larger than a fist. The thunk noise it made when Kavala threw it on the tray made Faryon jump. Once again she felt a slight anger at the owners for letting this beast suffer so. Faryon hoped they have learned from this emergency and will take caution next time.

Once cleaned up and things put were they needed to go, Kavala showed the way out to a little sitting area, presumed to be a waiting area. She seemed tired to Faryon and rightfully so since she has been on her feet this whole time. Where she got all the energy while being pregnant was a mystery to the teen. The Drykas couldn't help but blush at the Konti's compliment of being good help, even beamed with little bit of pride.

"Now would be a good time to tell me why you are here."

Now that emergency was adverted, Faryon couldn't help but feel butterflies in her stomach. "I came here seeking a job either as a healer or herbalist. Have more experience in the latter, also have dabbled in some philtring back at home but nothing of worth, but in all honesty I came for a change in scenery." The last part had slipped and Faryon didn't intend to say it but it was out in the open. Besides it was the truth was it not?

"My older brother used to mention the Sanctuary alot, saying it was a magical place of sorts. In my own way I guess I wanted to see for myself." Faryon laughed at the memory, her brother would tell her as if it was a fairy tale or bedtime story.

The teen looked down at Kavala's swollen belly, "When are you due? Do you hope for a little girl or boy?" Faryon smiled warmly at the thought, she had always adored babies.
Faryon Whiteflower

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Caelum on October 13th, 2013, 11:39 pm

"What Kavala hopes is for a safe delivery," a new voice intruded upon their conversation. It was drawled around an enigmatic accent and held both humor and curiosity in the words.

When the women looked up, they would find Caelum standing in the doorway with his eyebrows raised and a rag in his hands that he was using to wipe away leftover smears of blood. The blood ought to have been more of a grim omen than it actually was. After all, the Sanctuary was a place of healing and Caelum was one of its healers. While blood on his hands inevitably meant someone or thing had been hurt, it also meant that they had been healed. Worst case scenario, they had at least a kind hand to hold onto while they passed into Dira's care.

Caelum's hands were long fingered and strong, weathered beneath the bright burnish of the sun that suffused the whole of him with otherworldly light. He was dressed for riding and the smell of clean sweat, horse, and wind on him mingling with that of blood promised that he had been. Dust speckled leather trousers and the toes of tall boots, but the dirt seemed to be incapable of smearing through the vibrant, crimson colors streaking his hair or dulling the gold brightening his horns.

Golden eyes traveled between Kavala and the stranger with acute interest, making their study of the young Drykas with an intensity too sharp, perhaps, for a strange. Turning his regard to Kavala, he stuffed the bloodied handkerchief into the pocket of his pants and rolled toward them on a loose hipped gait.

"You look like you could use a bath and your bed. Maybe a mug of tea," he chided at his friend, frowning. "What's going on? Can I help?"
Caelum
The best way out is through.

Words: 1093768
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2010, 10:27 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Guest Storyteller (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Faryon Whiteflower on October 14th, 2013, 7:28 pm

"What Kavala hopes is for a safe delivery,"

The new voice was definitely not what Faryon had been expecting, since Kavala had made it seem like everyone was gone or missing in action. She jumped in her chair and looked for the source of the melodious voice. The man now standing in the doorway before them was nothing like the Drykas have seen before. His hair was that of dark brown with a deep red streaked through it as if the setting Syna had painted her very self into his hair. But what was most striking was the marbled like horns that protruded from his temples.

The unearthly man was wiping his hand free of blood and it appeared to be fresh. Faryon gave a weak squeak of sorts and tried to swallow the lump that was beginning to form in her throat with little success. She didn't want to assume anything but couldn't help it, pass the guy's mysterious appearance. In the back of her mind, from what little she knew of Kavala, the Konti woman wouldn't let anyone on the grounds let alone hire someone if their intent was to 'harm' any of the creatures here. However her eyes still lingered on the bloody handkerchief wondering of its source.

His smoldering golden eyes switched back and forth between Kavala and Faryon. They seemed to linger on her a bit longer and with such intensity that she was unsure if it was out of curiosity or distrust, probably a combination of both. Luckily for her his gaze switched back to the swollen konti next to her, his face switched to that full of worry and concern for a friend. Faryon shamelessly let out a small breath of relief when his attention was on her no longer.
Faryon Whiteflower

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Kavala on October 20th, 2013, 4:57 am

Kavala swiveled her head around, not her body, and met Caelum's gaze for a moment. A smile curled up at the corner of her lips though she didn't reply immediately. Caelum was standing in a natural spotlight of beauty. She hadn't gotten used to it yet, seeing him in the light of day in his full Eth form. Horns on a man should be something of nightmares used to frighten children into behaving. But on Caelum they had a breathless quality that either caused people to stare or to turn away abruptly because the sight was so subtly enchanting and thus disturbing.

And covered with blood he was a man after her own heart. The fledgling smile bloomed into a full grin as she took a deep breath and commented. "You've been having fun without me. We had an emergency come in. I had to do a bladder stone removal. Its bigger than my fist, the poor boy. He's coming out of it, and the surgery was good, but someone needs to keep a sharp eye on him. If he evacuates his bladder then hes out of danger." Kavala said, turning her gaze to the Seme stallion once more. He was on his feet after the surgery, but just barely, nose trailing the ground again, eyes glazed from the sedation she gave him, but he was breathing almost normally and the sweat coating his flanks looked normal enough to Kavala.

At Caelum's assessment of her own state, Kavala nodded. "Soon. I needed to make sure he was going to be okay or at least there was someone here qualified to make sure he could be if things went bad. Faryon here helped a great deal, Caelum. She got him in the hoist and got him back out of it." Kavala said, reaching up to rub her brow, realizing now how tired she was since Caleum had pointed it out. The chair was so welcome under her, supporting her weight, and she knew she wouldn't be able to get up for a few minutes regardless of how much she was agreeing with Caelum.

Kavala leaned back. She rubbed her midriff and smiled slightly. "Truth be told, I'm fine with either sex. I just hope what happened last time doesn't happen this time. Tasival had a ... difficult birth. I wasn't aware of how Konti get when they get close to their time. They tend to flee to the sea, go off on their own, and without their sisters to keep them safe they can be in a great deal of danger. Tasival was an Akontak so there was no danger to him for a sea birth, but if I have an Akalak son, he could easily drown. Raised among the Drykas, I was ill prepared for the craziness that tends to overcome the Konti during their labor. So my only hope is a safe healthy birth here at The Sanctuary where those close to me keep me from the Sea." Kavala said, chuckling slightly though her fear in her eyes was unmistakable to someone who really knew her. Her laugh was mirthless. Her chuckle instead was a nervous one. Konti were vulnerable during their birthing, especially when they fled to the sea alone.

Changing the subject, Kavala nodded at Faryon. "I wonder what your brother meant by magical." She mused, giving her new friend a chance to explain.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Caelum on October 21st, 2013, 10:41 pm

Faryon was delivered a wide, amused smile. One received the impression that he might have winked, but it forewent that extra element of teasing due to the fact of their bare acquaintance. Maybe he was a little charmed by those dove grey eyes. The handkerchief was stuffed into his pocket and, relatively clean, he ambled loose hipped and long legged deeper into the room. He paused by Kavala's chair to rest a hand lightly on her shoulder, something that would pass as little more than a reassuring gesture shared between old friends.

"Poor boy," he echoed, grimacing in agreement. Kidney stones were hell. He knew from physician experience, fortunately, and not patient experience. His regard returned to Faryon, lighter now that he learned she had been of help to Kavala. He appeared vaguely impressed. "You got him into the hoist? You're such a little thing..." He trailed off, realizing his error with a grin. Of course, Kavala was a petite little thing herself; but he knew better than to remark upon it. He knew the force of her character more than made up for any physical illusion of frailty there might be.

"Fox in a hunter's trap," he explained for Kavala's benefit, which he knew she would immediately understand was the source of the blood. He had found a fox in and trouble. He had saved it and likely gotten scratched up a bit for his trouble. He had forgotten to think about the hunter or worry beyond his patient at hand. He had a bad habit of that sometimes. Almost like a compulsion. "She'll be fine. Ran off though. Didn't like the looks of my horns, I suppose."

His attention traveled over to the Seme horse and Caelum studied him for a moment. "Don't worry," he assured. "I'll look after him." He looked curiously back at Faryon. He, too, was interested in what was meant by "magical".
Caelum
The best way out is through.

Words: 1093768
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2010, 10:27 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Guest Storyteller (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Faryon Whiteflower on October 25th, 2013, 6:38 pm

Faryon nodded at Kavala's explanation of Konti's labor and birth habits. Konti wives were common occurrence in Endrykas for their aesthetics and new blood into the clans. Her mother, aunt and various other women of her family were midwives so the teen was pretty sure they were aware of such notes of the all female race. However this is the first time the teen was hearing such things since she was never allowed to accompany them to birthing tents until she turned sixteen. Even so she hasn't had the pleasure of tending to a Konti since then, mainly Drykas women.

Kavala's laugh seemed off but Faryon made no comment on it however she did seem rather tired, more so than when they first left the operating room.. Hopefully this Caelum person could persuade her to lie down for a bit because the teen felt it wasn't her place to say such things. After all she had only just arrived here, the healer didnt need to hear the foreigner to this little family her advise.

Faryon brows furrowed at Caelum's doubting her abilities, because of her stature. Yes, the teen was 5'5" but that was about average height for Drykas women. She couldn't help everyone in city of Riverfall loomed over her! Doubting or not she wasn't even aware she was capable of such feats until moments before and the thought gave her a sense of pride. The teen supposed in time of need, anything was possible, even lifting a heavy horse in a strange contraption.

However as she thought about it her brow loosen when she realized she had judge the Ethaefal just as well, from a bloody rag he was carrying. It was the horns perhaps. Judged him wrong indeed when he explained he helped a vixen out of a trap and got banged up in the process. Faryon felt crummy for thinking ill of the man when he was a good person too. She should have listened to her gut instinct when it told her Kavala wouldn't let such people on the grounds meant for peace and healing.

Faryon realized all eyes were on her wishing for her to explain why her brother thought of the Sanctuary as a magical place. A blush quickly consumed her face, not liking being on the spotlight but she guessed she brought it upon herself by bringing it up. The teen hoped Caelum could speak Pavi and understand grassland sign because she didn't think she could explain it properly in Common.

"I suppose its because the Denusk pavilion lives outside of Drykas' norms so wild tales begin to form of the members performing miracles that the gods themselves would be jealous of. People and animals alike would come and walk away as if nothing ever happened and seem to glow from their treatment. My pavilion are excellent healers but I guess you can say they are.. Um.." she struggled to find the right word and decided to just sign the word for old and traditional." They like to keep things to the old ways and don't recognize progress even if it bit them on the nose."

It all sounded silly now that she was saying it out loud but it was how Faryon saw it even if she thought it was a bit of a magic herself.
Faryon Whiteflower

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Next