[Rearing Stallion] An Open Table with Empty Chairs (Open)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby John Griffin on August 4th, 2010, 9:27 am

Late Evening, 55th of Summer, 510 AV
The Rearing Stallion

There was nothing like coming to the Stallion right after the last shift of a patrol cycle. Sixty hours of patrolling in five days wearing full kit did a number on a man, especially a brand new knight who wasn't used to it. When he was on day patrol, John liked to come to the tavern right after he got off duty, swinging by his room to change, then heading straight there.

Having become something of a regular, one of the barmaids, Carmen, simply smiled and gestured towards his favorite corner. He wasn't particular about what table he sat at, but John preferred to be in the far back corner, so he could watch the whole room. It was something he'd picked up from his father and uncle, both knights. When you made it your life's work to stop crime, criminals had a tendency to hold it against you. Add to that the fact that knights are open with their identities, and you've got the small, though not unheard of, possibility of someone trying to put a knife in your back while you eat.

John sat down at one of the empty tables in the corner and pulled out nine silver miza, placing them on the table. A few minutes later Carmen walked by, brushed the coins into her apron, smiled, and said, "I'll be right back." He always ordered the same thing. Three ales and dinner. One ale before eating, one during, and one after. True to her word, Carmen was back in under a minute, and set the first ale down in front of him before setting off to help another patron.

John sank a little in the chair, shrugging his shoulders to get the kinks out. Dressed in a doublet covered by a leather jerking, it sure was nice to be out of his armor for the next few days. His sword, however, hung on its place from his belt, and his dagger was strapped to the belt too.

The young knight took a sip from his ale. Hopefully tonight will be entertaining, he thought.
John Griffin
Syliran Knight

Words: 100281
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2010, 5:42 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Peer Reviewer (1)

Postby Ocelot on August 4th, 2010, 9:13 pm

It wasn't often that Oc went out for food. It was cheaper to stay in and eat at her 'house', but she made a point of trying to meet people on a regular basis. Sometimes she went to the Stone Garden or wandered the Bazaar, occasionally making a friend. Other times, the Kelvic would wander into a tavern, though she wore her cloak in an effort to prevent stares from men whose thoughts wandered into dangerous territory. She had quickly learned that the Knights of Syliras were a force to be reckoned with, but she had no intention of needing their help for anything.

Still accustomed to wearing a simple linen shift and leggings, Ocelot spent as little as possible. Hence why she didn't commonly go out for food. On this night, however, she found the lack of someone else unbearable. So she wandered the streets near Stormhold Castle until she found somewhere she could get some food. Noticing the word 'Tavern' on the sign, she entered, giving a small smile as she saw how populated the room was.

A barmaid smiled at Oc, as if to welcome her in, though she was busy serving some customers and didn't immediately approach Oc. Feeling self-conscious, the brunette glanced around the room, drawing her black cloak around herself tighter in a nervous gesture. She suspected she was supposed to wait for the barmaid, but nerves got the better of her as she searched for a face that was at least vaguely familiar.

She spotted a young man sitting alone in a corner, trying to put together where she had seen him before. "He might be a Knight," she guessed, mostly from seeing the way he held himself. Oc also noted where he was seated and how. He could see the whole room, something not everyone would truly appreciate, though she noticed he was in fact watching the whole room. Her observations of those in the Knights of Syliras matched his behavior.

Realizing she was staring, and hoping he didn't notice, Ocelot hesitantly moved toward him, feeling her nerves start to act up. It wasn't often that she approached a stranger, but the idea of sitting alone was just as nerve wracking. She paused as she reached the table, looking him in the eye in an effort to seem confident.

"Do you mind if I join you?" she asked quietly, fidgeting again with her cloak. "I'm not comfortable sitting alone," Ocelot added, as if to clarify, her face maintaining a carefully neutral expression. The expression became wary as she noted the sword attached to his person, but she made no move to go.
Ocelot
Player

Words: 14395
Joined roleplay: August 2nd, 2010, 9:28 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby John Griffin on August 5th, 2010, 3:35 am

John was scanning the room while he sipped his ale when he saw her. She was looking right at him. She was shorter than he by several inches, and had shoulder length brown hair and freckles. His eyes lingered for a moment, thinking of how she reminded him of Karen, before he moved on. People looked at him all the time, just as he looked at them, it was not a big deal. It was when you looked at a person a second time, and found them still looking at your that suspicion started to rise. Either you hit the small chance of them having just looked at you again, or they were watching you.

John continued scanning the room, taking small but steady sips from his beverage. When his eyes came back to the girl, woman, he corrected himself, for she was obviously no girl, she was standing right in front of his table, playing with her cloak. She asked if she could join him, saying she was uncomfortable sitting alone, then got a sort of nervous look when she glanced at his longsword.

"I don't mind at all," he said. He gestured for her to sit, "Please, by all means, have a seat." John was friendly, but also wary himself. It could be a simple interaction of chance and coincidence, or something could be afoot. He would be polite at the very least until he figured out what the lady was about.

"My name is John, and yours?" he asked.
John Griffin
Syliran Knight

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Peer Reviewer (1)

Postby Ocelot on August 5th, 2010, 4:26 am

Ocelot let out a breath she hadn't realized she'd been holding, grateful to not have to trudge away with the biting feel of rejection. Sure, it wasn't any sort of big thing she just accomplished, but she could push back her loneliness for a bit now instead of letting it fester. It was nicer that way.

She smiled at him, a real smile, sitting down next to him. "Thank you very much," came Oc's response, though she doubted he knew exactly how grateful she was. Realizing how odd she was acting, she shook her head slightly in an effort to clear it. "I apologize if my behavior's a bit erratic," she said. "I've been lacking company as of late and I'm afraid it's messed a bit with my head." Slitted brown eyes flicked to meet his before glancing away self-consciously. Green, she noted. I like that color. As a barmaid passed them by, Ocelot ordered herself a meal, passing the woman the necessary coins.

Feeling slightly more calm with food on the way (even if it wasn't necessarily all meat), Oc allowed her eyes to return to the young man's face. John's face. "It's a pleasure to meet you, John. I don't really have a name, but I usually go by Ocelot, or Oc for short," replied the woman, who sat back in her chair to make herself more comfortable.

"Are you a Syliran Knight?" she asked after a short while, curiosity getting the better of her. "I've been wondering what it's like after seeing them everywhere. It's such a noble thing to do, and to be that brave... I could only wish! I've seen some of the fights they break up," she commented, smiling, "and it's incredible what can be done when people band together like that."

Her eyes glanced to his sword again before returning to her dining companion, finding her curiosity wandering there as well. Oc reasoned that people only kept weapons on them if they thought they would need them. Should he be a knight, her question would be answered. Should he not, Oc had another question to ask.
Ocelot
Player

Character sheet

Postby John Griffin on August 5th, 2010, 4:48 am

The woman sat next to him with a smile, thanking him at the same time, then apologizing. He watched her with a bit of curiosity, his wariness fleeing. She had vertical pupils, like a feline. Interesting. Maybe she one of those Kelver...Kilvish...Kelvic? Yes, maybe she's a Kelvic. He'd heard about the shape-shifters, but never actually met one. She still seemed nervous, meeting his eyes then looking away.

"The pleasure is mine. You...you don't have a name?" he asked, positively puzzled. "Ocelot. Like the cat?" This woman got stranger by the minute, though that was not necessarily a bad thing.

"I am. Only sort of recently though. I was knighted at the end of spring." He chuckled. "Brave? I don't know about that. My family raised me to do this, I guess you could say its in my blood." He looked down with a sort of shamed look, "I've never actually been in a fight either." While it was not as if John went looking for battles, he still realized that without actually being in one, his was still just an untested youth, knight or not. He looked up to see her looking at his sword again. "So, what is it you do, Oc? Other than eye my sword?" He smirked a little, his brief self-pity vanishing.
John Griffin
Syliran Knight

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Peer Reviewer (1)

Postby Ocelot on August 5th, 2010, 3:41 pm

With conversation, Ocelot found herself becoming more comfortable, her own wariness dissipating. "Not in the traditional sense, no. I used to live with a pack of Kelvics, and many were called either by what animal they shapeshifted into or by a pronounced quality. I'm an Ocelot, the only one from my pack, so that's what they called me." She shrugged, the look on her face saying she didn't mind.

With a slight smirk, she let out a playful growl, curling her fingers in a scratching gesture. "Yes, like the cat," she affirmed, laughing as she pushed a lock of hair behind her ears.

She listened as he spoke of being a knight, feeling grateful for the way he spoke. Oc almost had to ask him how being a knight had anything to do with his blood before his meaning (spoken just before) caught on. She was new to some of the ways Humans interacted and to many of their expressions. "At least you're putting yourself out there, willing to fight if it's necessary. Many people would rather be hiding somewhere, saving their own skin, than helping others." She paused for a moment, only now trying to decide which she was and why she envied him (and knights in general).

"I don't always eye your sword. In fact, I haven't met you before now, so it wouldn't be a regular thing for me... to... do... oh." She blushed, pale skin stained with red, as she realized her misunderstanding. Oc let out a quick cough, prepared to start again as if that didn't just happen. "I've only been eying it because I was curious about why you have it. If you weren't a knight, I would be more concerned about why you have it," she explained with a shrug.

"I mostly stay in my room in the castle, especially in the mornings. At night I usually wander around and exercise, explore the city a bit." She frowned slightly. "I guess I don't do very much." She looked at him for a moment, smiling. "Now you, John. Other than being a knight, what is it you do? Sit around in taverns by yourself?"
Ocelot
Player

Character sheet

Postby Jilitse on August 5th, 2010, 10:47 pm

Jilitse entered the tavern fully cloaked save for the bottom half of her face. The place was still full, as it would usually be in the evening. Although the tavern was a place meant for drinking, eating, and socialization - things that a Nuit currently have no need for, Jilitse stopped by for the first time. Perhaps out of curiosity. Odd people drop by taverns, and if its Syliras, she was sure the Knights would make sure that everything was in order.

So there she was, a shadow in the crowd, listening to the bard's tales. Pretty soon she found that standing was getting conspicuous, and she did not want too much attention, so she moved gracefully to a nearby table with vacant chairs and politely asked, "If you would not mind company, I would like to have a seat here." Granted, there were other vacant seats inside the Rearing Stallion, but this one was the closest. None of those who sat around it seemed to be drunk, too. She bowed, not caring for their replies, and took a seat.

Her unblinking attention was momentarily disrupted as the two conversed, and she felt like she should not divide her attention. With her unblinking stare hidden beneath her cowl, she looked at the man, sized him up and noticed the sword and dagger hanging from his belt. No doubt a Knight, if not one in training. Jil seem to have seen her somewhere else, maybe on patrol duty. The other companion was a Kelvic, a woman in human form, whose sarcasm was lost on the Nuit. She had overheard their previous discussion, and was somewhat interested in the exchange of words between two persons of different races.

She inclined her head away from them, but at an angle from which she would still be able to study their faces. The other races seem to do a lot of things with their faces, their thoughts registering in their expressions more than they want to. To the Nuit, a smooth face was almost like a mask, a neutral expression with which, if they close their eyes, would look like a peaceful slumber. Still, she smiled. It was an interesting discussion, she realized she would be able to understand humans better if she paid attention to their tone and manner of speaking. The man and woman must have met for the first time, too. An odd couple, Jilitse thought. But definitely more interesting than the bard.
I. Vox Populi, Vox Dei
II. The Night the Watchtowers Cried

I am nothing special, of this I am sure. I am a common woman with common thoughts and I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but I've loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough.
Jilitse
I just arrived (again). Please be kind.

Words: 520837
Joined roleplay: March 5th, 2010, 8:22 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)
GP's Angels (1)

Postby John Griffin on August 6th, 2010, 9:03 am

John was intrigued. He had never before met a Kelvic, and wondered if the tales he heard were true. Could they really shape-shift? In a totally innocent tone, something akin to a childlike wonder, he asked, "So you can, like...turn into a cat?" He rubbed the back of his neck, as he often did when he was nervous or uncomfortable. "Could you, maybe, show me? Not now, but some other time?"

Smirk turned to smile when Oc 'clawed' at him, and John flashed his teeth, laughing softly. He blushed just a little as she spoke of his willingness to fight. "I suppose. Though the knights that volunteer for knighthood, they are the real heroes. Sure, I guess I could have decided not to become a knight, but its just not the same. When you're fourth generation, there's really not much of a choice. Not to say that I don't want to be a knight, I can't imagine doing anything else."

Another voice brought his attention up and away from Oc. The voice was female, and the visible half of the face was without stubble, so John made the assumption that the cloaked 'intruder' was a woman. She asked if she could sit with them. No, though John, She didn't really ask, more like she stated that she was going to sit there. He didn't mind, but found it most curious. He had a curiosity and thirst for knowledge that was liable to get him in trouble one day. "Please, company is always welcome at any table I sit at. I am John Griffin, and this is Ocelot." He gestured to the Kelvic. "What is your name?"

His smile held as Oc misinterpreted what he said, and laughed again when she realized. "What do I do?" He paused. What did he do, other than be a knight? The majority of his time was spent either on patrol, training, or studying some book. But he loved it! "Not much, now that I think about it. I spend most of my time working, or doing something else work related. Swordplay, riding, study. That sort of thing."
John Griffin
Syliran Knight

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Peer Reviewer (1)

Postby Ocelot on August 6th, 2010, 2:31 pm

Ocelot found herself smiling, unable to help herself. His curiosity entertained her, and she liked the implication that to show him, they'd meet again. She always enjoyed making new friends. "Yes, I'll gladly show you sometime," she confirmed with a nod.

"You act as though you haven't been working hard to be a knight your whole life. It's no small feat, spending your whole life working toward something you love and, better yet, getting there." Being a Kelvic, Oc knew a thing or two about having a goal, even about being born for it and raised knowing you had little choice in the matter. She herself was looking to bond with someone, though so far she'd had little luck in making friends, let alone finding someone she wanted to protect with all she had.

Looking up at the stranger's entrance, Oc gave a little wave at the mention of her name. Something about the stranger bothered her, though she couldn't pinpoint it. She shrugged off the feeling, smiling at the newcomer.

"Work, work, work! Where's the fun in that? Actually, swordplay and riding sound like fun. Studying, though..." Oc made a face, disliking study quite a bit. She didn't mind listening to get information, but she couldn't read very well (nor could she write) and found books to be more trouble than they're worth.
Ocelot
Player

Character sheet

Postby Jilitse on August 6th, 2010, 5:56 pm

Jilitse turned her head when she was addressed, her cowl fluttering lightly. "My name is Jilitse," she said, her voice of an almost hallowed timbre. She nodded politely at Ocelot and listened in their conversation. Oh the mundane things they talk about.

It was a good opportunity to be sitting in a table with a Knight and a Kelvic, for she may observe them closely, and attempt to understand the context of their seemingly pointless conversation. She curiously eyed the Knight, but quickly stole back her gaze so that he may not catch her watching. Working, and then doing something else work related, sounded pretty much like what her life was like in Sahova. Only difference is that this John Griffin, as a human, would have need to catch shut eye when his body dictated it. Ocelot on the other hand, made a face when she mentioned studying. She noted the expression denotes dislike.

Yes, there was a lot to learn between these two beings. Perhaps it was time for her to join the conversation.

"Can I ask you both what are you doing in this tavern?" A curious question, as an ordinary person would surmise people go to taverns to get some food or drink, pick up gossip, and flirt with barmaids. She added politely, "I am merely curious, please do not be offended."

Once she had asked questions, she could not stop. "I heard you were a Kelvic," Jil said to Oc, implying that she had been listening to them, "Do you have somebody taking care of you, like an owner or a master?" Weren't most Kelvic slaves?
I. Vox Populi, Vox Dei
II. The Night the Watchtowers Cried

I am nothing special, of this I am sure. I am a common woman with common thoughts and I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but I've loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough.
Jilitse
I just arrived (again). Please be kind.

Words: 520837
Joined roleplay: March 5th, 2010, 8:22 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)
GP's Angels (1)

Next