Completed [Kova’s Well] Time waits for none

(Orion Michaels)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Kova’s Well] Time waits for none

Postby Fallon on November 3rd, 2013, 3:42 pm

77th Fall 513 AV
20th Bell

With her head resting in her hands Fallon waited in silence. Her hood was raised, the coat pulled around her tightly. The autumn chill had grown more of late, a noticeable presence when walking about the citadel during the bells of darkness. But right now that was not the plaguing thought upon her mind. There was something much more important to discuss at present, a vital task that needed to be dealt with. Something she could not run away from – less it would only create an emotional wound set to fester. No, this time she would do things correctly no matter how painful it was.

In the dormitories she had left him a note, along with a quick mention to him in passing of its presence. Nothing more than a request to speak to him alone at the place where there existed so much. Where their paths carried a frequent habit of passing to and fro, with emotions pulled tight to breaking point. The deep set of stress hung in the air this time however, a distinct vibe that she could not shake off no matter the false smiles. An impending sense of pure dread. She forced the air to exhale, a tremble of the cords as she straightened. So easy it would be to simply ditch and run, to forget the entire arrangement and cast it to the wind. But that would be too easy, and cowardly.

Shuddering she shook off the creeping cold. Autumn was indeed a fresh season, and one that distinctly encouraged one to huddle up before a fire or within layers of blankets – or next to another if the need and mindset arose. She removed her gloved hands to look at them, a moment of disdain growing on her features. When did things start getting so difficult? When had she allowed herself to stumble into such a state? She had promised herself to face her obstacles. And this was just another she would have to beat. Fingers interlaced and clenched together, her eyes looking down into the depths of the murky well with a simpering expression. He would show, right?

He had to show. She needed to tell him straight this time, else history would simply repeat itself once again. And that was a consequence she could not live with.

“Come on Orion… Hurry up… it’s petching cold out here.”

FALLON
Fallon | Coffee Codes | Skill Images

Fallon is a Master of Intimidation, "At this level, a Master intimidator often unconsciously intimidates their target unless the intimidator monitors their stance, tone, and actions to prevent this. Master intimidators will nearly always have a reputation that precedes them unless they have taken special care to prevent it."
Fallon
The Red Wolf

Words: 2242110
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2013, 4:24 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Orion Michaels on November 3rd, 2013, 6:35 pm

There were few things that got Orion's heart racing like a note waiting for him when he got back to the dorms. There was never good news with them. Ever. Especially when they came from Fallon. Especially when she'd been in one place for so long. He could only guess what was happening. Perhaps she was accompanying her patron and wanted to let him know she would be gone without just disappearing as she'd done so many times in their past.

He had to give her the benefit of the doubt, right? Had she earned such a thing?

Orion grasped the note in his hand, the paper crinkling in his rough grasp. "Kova's Well..." That was their spot, if it could be called such, wasn't it? Where they went to have somewhat of a neutral ground. It was public, but not so well traveled that they'd be overheard if they chose not to be. A peaceful place, tranquil, and that serenity was frequently interrupted by the piercing yells of these two friends, almost siblings, almost something else, but all together indescribable people.

The walk to the well was agonizing. She didn't have to ask him, make demands, or anything. She knew he would come. Orion had a strange bond with this woman. They were so close and worlds apart. Best friends but sometimes the worst people for one another. He'd hardly experienced as many peaks and valleys with one person as he had with Fallon.

She was the most unreliably reliable person he'd ever met.

He'd had minimal interaction with her that season, closing off in his usual way when things had gotten tough. He'd instead spent a lot of time with Lilly Grant, and to call that a trying time would be an understatement, but for once he'd felt like he was on solid ground. He was pulling things back together after hitting rock bottom once again; it was a place with which he was intimately familiar, after all. Perhaps if she were leaving, he'd actually be able to handle it. Maybe there wouldn't be any yelling for once.

"Fallon," he called out when the young woman came into his view. The cool Autumn air had a heaviness about it. The way she carried herself, a nervous energy about her. She didn't have to tell him anything. If he were wrong, he'd play it off as a joke. If he wasn't, well, they'd deal with it.

"When are you leaving?" He crossed his arms across his chest, the feeling of doing so a quick reminder that neither of them were the people they once were. His arms, his chest, his body was bigger, stronger, and trained. He'd learned things about himself he didn't realize. It was likely she'd done the same. Was she running from the realizations? He could ask her a thousand questions and he wasn't sure he'd understand.

Orion Michaels
Cut to the punchline

Words: 1033425
Joined roleplay: August 2nd, 2012, 12:33 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Mizahar Mentor (1)
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Fallon on November 3rd, 2013, 9:02 pm

It was the steps upon the cold stone floor that alerted her. Turning her head over her shoulder she looked to him, a response to the call of her name. The frown only lifted for a tick, a wavering moment before once more it fell into one of sombre. Her head turned away once more, her hands gripping onto the stone. She could not look at him, not at present at least – her thoughts still existed as a convulsed mess even as she was just beginning realise what and who she was. Fingers pressed against her cheeks, ears twitching to his question.

There would be no use dallying on words. The truth would emerge eventually anyway; there was no two ways about it. Other than the obvious fact that the sooner it came, the better it would be for the both of them. Lips parted with a momentary pause as she exhaled. She would no doubt have to explain why to him, but that would come all in good time.

”Leaving? On the seventy-ninth,” she said after a few long chimes. She turned to face him, leaning against the wall, her eyes averted down to the ground. Her shoulders slumped, a sense of defeat consuming her. If it was anything like before there would undoubtedly be arguments, there would be the raising of voices, arguments over the change and her wishes. But it was here on this sacred ground – to them at least – that they would at least, eventually come to some form of an agreement. If they came to some form of agreement. Pushing off she approached him, hands clasping together, a look of seriousness breaking through. She extended her hand out to him a nervous reach to touch his arm. Frowning she looked up, meeting his gaze for a moment, ”I don’t know when I’ll be back. Or if I’ll be back at all.”

The hand faltered, hovering above and froze in place. She was uncertain on whether or not she could get closer. An almost seeking reassurance; if not for him then for herself. Fingers clenched, a moment of withdrawal and uncertainty. There was a shrug, her lids wincing as she tried to find a way to communicate, ”Why are things always so damn difficult?” She forced a smile, and once more turned away with her head hanging. Here was Orion, her friend, her near sibling, a man who she could try and be honest with – and he in return would be blunt and honest. But things had changed; they had both grown as people and so begun to change.

Be it for better or for worse.

”You have any questions?” she asked after she let him absorb the news, ”Tonight I’ll answer you with all I know. Okay?”

FALLON

Fallon is a Master of Intimidation, "At this level, a Master intimidator often unconsciously intimidates their target unless the intimidator monitors their stance, tone, and actions to prevent this. Master intimidators will nearly always have a reputation that precedes them unless they have taken special care to prevent it."
Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Orion Michaels on November 5th, 2013, 10:18 pm

So that was that. She was actually leaving. Second verse, same as the first. 

He wasn't sure what to feel about it because, well, it was something that had happened over and over again. Wasn't it a fundamental truth of the universe? Fallon wasn't someone who could remain stationary? Fallon would run when there was a problem? He was numb to it at this point. The emotions he'd vested in her, in their relationship, and the fights they've had, they were all for naught in the end. If she was going to go, she was going to go. She'd proved that time and time again.

He stared her down as she approached him, but he wasn't going to give her any indication either way if he was welcoming her presence, because truth be told, he wasn't sure if he would. He wanted to be irritated, he wanted to be sad, he wanted explode, and he wanted to walk away. But instead he stood there, watching her cooly as she hesitated near him.  "I've got every question there is, but I don't think I'll get an answer I want to hear." Orion pushed past her, taking slow, long strides towards the well. He had to buy himself time. He thought he was ready to deal with this, but he wasn't. Even though they'd hardly talked in recent times, something about having a friend like her so near still offered that comfort. If she left, who would he have? He'd be alone again. None of his other relationships had the depth of theirs. Time had forged their bonds which had weathered things worse than he could imagine.

Blue orbs gazed down into the depths of Kova's Well, and if there had been water visible he was sure the uncertainty would reflect in his eyes. "How many times have I been here, Fal? Staring down into the darkness, facing the always uncertain future with you. How many times have you left me like this?" Orion sighed, tracing his finger along the top of the well while slowly walking around it. He didn't let his vision fall on her, not yet anyways. "So you might as well get on about it. Why are you going?" 

Why are you running? Why are you leaving me again? Why do you always quit!

His mind was screaming, but he did what he could to contain his emotions. An outburst wasn't what was needed now. It wasn't the memory she should leave with. He wouldn't see her again after this for a long time, if she survived whatever the foolish woman had planned. He'd risked leaving her with hateful words before, and he couldn't do it again unless he was willing to throw everything they'd had aside and ruin it as he'd done with so many others in the past.

Orion Michaels
Cut to the punchline

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Fallon on November 5th, 2013, 11:37 pm

She said nothing as he pushed past, the cold shoulder more than apparent. Things were undoubtedly about to become turmoil, the emotions in the air thick and heavy. It was no surprise; she had a great tendency to ruin the pair of them for all the attempts she tried at correcting them. There was only a sombre look at his shadow as he passed, eyes noting the frustration that lurked within his very steps. Drawing in a deep breath she dragged upon clearing her mind. She would need a steady head for this, for herself and for him. She turned to him, her eyes low and ever focusing upon his feet.

”The first, I was a child. Ten years old and doing as my mentor wished. The second time I was fourteen with the same conditions again, the third - little more than a flying visit mind you – I was sixteen. The fourth I was nineteen,” she gave a pause as she counted on through ”And now I am twenty the fifth time has come.” Inhaling deeply she rubbed at her brow, thinking through the most tactical way to answer his question. But in the end she simply spoke with pure honesty.

”I realised something,” she begun, slowly yet with a distinct certainty in her voice, ”That I do not need a title to do the right thing. That I do not need to be dressed up in plate to do duty. To have the right and strength to stand up against the world to protect it. That I do not need to be a knight to still strive for the same outcome and views. And that… well there is a lot of places out there that are a lot worse than Syliras that need help,” she gave a pause, ”I can no longer sit tight and train whilst knowing that out there is a world that is a much more desperate need for aid.”

Fallon raised her head to look upon him, her lips having formed a line as she did. Her brow lifted as she looked upon the back of Orion, eyes almost pleading for him to understand. She was not running away and she was not turning her back on the world. She was sending herself charging forward with all she had, she was there to open her arms wide and embrace it without a moment of hesitation. Her nostrils flared, defiance growing upon her face. She was not afraid, she could not afford to be. And if he did not accept her wishes, then that was the way it would be. No doubt he would scream and shout at her about it.

FALLON

Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Orion Michaels on November 6th, 2013, 9:05 pm

She was actually going to sit there and recount each and every time that she’d left? It was almost laughable. There was always an excuse, always some reason why it was okay for her to disappear. It was always something’s fault. He just found it so frustrating. ”The fifth time, indeed…” He wasn’t any better than she was, and of that he was aware. It wasn’t as though he hadn’t run in the past.  His foray in Sunberth was a testament to his own sins. His holier than thou attitude deserved a calling out, but it hadn’t come from her; not yet.

Her explanation was a shocking one. It was far from what he’d expected. Had she actually put some thought into why she would up and leave Syliras again? He still didn’t buy the reasoning behind it, but it was a refreshing change from the past. ”I’m not sure if I should accept it and just let you go, argue with you until I’m blue in the face, or try and convince you to stay.” He stopped opposite the well, looking across the span to where she stood. ”I fear that neither option will leave me feeling particularly satisfied.” He sighed and leaned up against the stone structure, contemplating his words. There was no point in getting angry; it wouldn’t solve anything.

”Shouldn’t it be strange that I’m so bothered by this? I’m six years your senior. Cared about you like a little sister, one I never had. I should have been happy for you some of these times, but it just leaves me empty every time.”

Had he somehow convinced himself that Fallon Skylar would remain in one place? She didn’t really belong here; that much was clear. Still, Orion was selfish, and Fallon was his support.

”You should stay, Fallon,” he said plainly. He wasn’t entirely sure if he believed it, but it’s what he would have to go with. He had to take a stance, or he would lose his mind and likely his temper. ”To make a difference, a real difference, bigger than you or me, you need power, Fallon. The knights give that, on an individual and an organizational basis. If you want to make a difference in the world, if you want to save lives and change the course of things, you need the resources, the ones that the knights have!” Had her patron told her nothing? ”The knights aren’t only here, Fallon. Surely you know that? You don’t have to be trapped here, protecting people you think are protected enough.” Orion shook his head, turning his gaze to the skies above. ”I’ve seen my share of the world, too, Fallon. I know there are many places worse than Syliras, but think about this? Why is Syliras the way it is? Because of the knights.”

He sighed and started towards Fallon, taking small steps as he slowly closed the distance. ”But I suppose I’m wasting my breath. When have I ever been able to convince you of anything? Even our first kiss was on your terms.” He didn’t want to say goodbye here, but this was it. Who knew if Orion Michaels and Fallon Skylar would ever cross again? ”I just hope you don’t walk your path alone, Fallon. I’ll miss you.”

Orion Michaels
Cut to the punchline

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Fallon on November 6th, 2013, 11:09 pm

Fallon held her gaze to him, eyes staring right into the pupils. There was a moment of silence, a mulling over of his words. She did not answer him straight away, and instead took the opportunity to listen to him and his words. And although the temptation came to interrupt him part way through, she bit her tongue and let him go on regardless. She gave only a glance up to the sky, following his gaze upwards. Her lips formed into a line, her thoughts falling into place to answer him.

”But what of the places that lack the knights?” she looked away finally, ”The knights stay here. They only go out into the world for their quests for the city. For the people and its walls. All the cities of Mizahar exist under the same sky, but where were the knights to support them? Where was the order?” Pinching her brow she looked upon him, her palm resting across her face, ”The order has power. I accept that fact, but what do they do with it? Keep the city safe and patrol the Kabrin. But what else? What is the point in having resources if you do not use them?” She stopped there. Anything else would sound like petty whining in her mind, ”You know that before I even get a chance of helping others I will have to finish my squirehood here first… right?”

She watched his approach, a sombre expression forming upon her face. Things like this was always difficult, this more so than the last, for every memory weighed upon her. The breaks the pains, the tears of distress that she once more was set to leave the city. There was a sharp inhale, her brow creasing. She needed to keep a straight face regardless, else she would never be able to get the truth out.

”You should know better than anyone that I would make a terrible knight,” she gave a weak smile and shook her head, ”And you know better than anyone else that I do not belong here in this city I call home. That I’ve never belonged here, right back until we were both children.” She gave a wince,

”When I was young, upon my first time leaving, you were the one who said I should face the world with my head held high and a spring in my step. For the whole world was there waiting for me to reach out and take,” wringing her hands she hesitated once more to reach out and touch him. Her fist clenched once more and she looked up to him.

”Alone… alone…” She felt her lip curl, ”You know… I’m thinking of you where ever I am in the world. No matter the fear and sorrow I always am, even with me doing this. Sure there are many cities in the world, but they all share the same sky. Just like every other person in the world. You, me, everybody. And because of that I know I’ll never be alone,” there was a pause, ”And who knows; maybe starting a new journey is not so hard… or perhaps it is the same journey, one that has already begun.”

”But… this is my calling,” she finished, ”I would extend a hand out to you, to join me in my steps… yet even I know that is a cruel act to do. Besides… you are the one that wants to stay here really, no?”

FALLON

Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Orion Michaels on November 7th, 2013, 11:34 pm

Nothing that she said mattered after she explained her thoughts on the knights. Orion wasn't a zealot by any means, and he knew their faults, but her reasoning? It felt so very childish to the blue eyed man. His control on his emotions had always proved to be a fickle thing, but in the end his anger seemed to always win out. This time would prove to be no different.

Once she was finished, Orion snapped at her immediately. If she thought of him like that, if he was something she could fall back on, he would have to ruin it, wouldn't he? "Why are you so petching stupid, Fallon!?" He paused a few strides from her, his eyes welling up slightly. That was a surprised to the squire, who tried to pretend like they weren't there. "Why do you think they don't have you do anything until you're done with your squirehood? It's not some game! It's so you have the ability to actually do something!" Was she going to go off and suddenly make the world a safter place? She'd picked up the blade around the same time he had, had she not? If there were people in so much trouble out there when she was wet behind the ears in true combat, what could any of them do?

"If you don't think this is the right path for you, if you think you should leave; that you don't need the training the order has to offer then…” Orion trailed off again, blue eyes falling downward to stare with burning anger that stone pathway about them. She was going to get herself killed out there. Fortune surely couldn’t smile upon her as many times as it had. How someone as reckless as her had survived so many trips, especially when she was only ten on one of them, was far beyond Orion. If she was so intent on it, then there was only one thing to do.

”IF YOU’RE SO PETCHING STRONG, FALLON, THEN PROVE IT!”

Orion drew his blade, his icy gaze rising to meet hers.

It was stupid. They should go somewhere else, somewhere there weren’t eyes to happen upon them. Where they were allowed to train. But if he waited, he’d lose this passion and the angry which drove him would lose all meeting. ”If you can change the world, then beat this old man! If you don’t need the knights, then a scrawny doctor should be of no consequence!” It wouldn’t matter if he won or not. She would leave. Orion would again feel completely alone in the citadel of tens of thousands. She would disappear, moving on her fool’s errand to go somewhere and do ‘something’. It was ridiculous.

But if she beat him, bested him in a test of battle, maybe he could begin to believe.

Orion Michaels
Cut to the punchline

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Fallon on November 8th, 2013, 12:16 am

Fallon looked upon him. Her brow creased, her lips parted to suck in the cool winter air. He was angry, even she could tell that. The air had rocketed it, every word vibrating through the citadel. Their song was this night, whether she accepted it or not. But here he was, here to make her prove her worth, to test her metal.

Just like own her brother.

There was a wince, a thin line forming on her face. So that was what it was about. His lacking faith, the disbelief in what she could achieve. But she was silent, for all but the silent regard upon her face. Why did no one have faith in what she said? Why did they not believe in her and what she could achieve? She raised to meet his gaze, the fiery burn behind his eyes, the mad rage of what he was going to lose once more. On how his own greed pushed him to such lengths. Not that she could comment herself, but at least she did her best not to trap others within her own desires.

Glancing away, she listened to his demands, the ring of steel the call to fight beckoning her. Had he become so hot headed? So blinded by himself? Could he not let her leave in peace? Her eyes hovered on the hilt of the tulwar, her weapon, her proof. To draw it would mean she would have to accept his challenge, but to refuse would only shatter his belief. Her right foot gave a slide forward, her left falling behind. She would have to rise to meet him, and to do so would require everything she had. Her left hand slid into the folds of her coat, and promptly tucked it into the belt beneath. Yes. Everything. The hairs on her arm prickled and the djed gently swirled round. She plucked at the astral of her left once more, a gentle careful teasing. She chose only to speak to buy herself some more time for it to be ready.

”Time is running out, the sands of time falling short. The game is stopped and reset, as the final card is drawn,” she shook her head, a moment of self musing her voice light in the waking roar of Orion, ”When will enough ever be enough for you? When will your hunger be sated and your wrath quelled?” She gave only a grimace, the distinct damp rising within her lids, ”In the end… they all fall down. Too tired to carry on. Their once rose of paradise having turned against them.” The weave of the astral unpicked itself, the limb growing heavy yet held within the holds - for now at least. Her hand went to the tulwar, a slow gentle drawing. The steel rang in the air, the moment simply sitting there and existing, ”They have no hope. They have no love.” a final wince was upon her face, the tip hovering between them, the pommel resting upon her front leg with the rest of her form side on. The ethereal snake brushed against her cheek, the digits caressing the air to be poised and ready to strike or catch, ”Only their pumping blood, as at last, the final card is turned.”

There was only a nod of the head now, lips curling into a forced smile. All things would work themselves out in good time, ”When will you tell the world what you really want Orion? Instead of bottling it up inside? Why do you do such to yourself? Come… Come at me with who you are supposed to be.”

She was ready.

FALLON

Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Orion Michaels on November 8th, 2013, 4:04 am

"Fancy words won't get you anywhere!" Orion wasn't in the mood to just stand there and talk. Their time together in the knights had shown him that actions meant more to them. Countless bells trying to convince her of things, trying to let his words do the fighting had crumbled when faced with the raw, pure emotion of them tearing into one another with wood and steel alike. She could spit all the words she wished; it didn't change the reality of their situation.

She was setting off unprepared into the world again.

Orion widened his stance somewhat, wrapping his off hand around the hilt of his sword, using his favored two handed grip. No doubt she'd improved since their last bout, but he had as well. He'd come so far, and he thought Fallon had as well, but...

Why is she trying to turn this back on me?

It was supposed to be about her. She was the one leaving. She was the one breaking his heart again. No matter the reason she gave, he couldn't forgive her. Not this time.

Orion took the few quick steps he needed to close the small distance between them, lowering the blade to hip level on his left side. A powerful, backhand sweep of the blade was delivered as Orion got into range. He didn’t care if it were live steel. There was no holding back here. Perhaps they’d both make a terrible mistake here and end up in the mines. If they were to survive at all, that was. He followed through with his swing, letting it carry him all the way through. The momentum twirled him around and Orion wasn’t going to let it go to waste. The biting steel blade came around in an a low, lopping motion as he released the blade with one hand, the other hand shooting out to help keep him balanced. It was far from perfect, and lacking in any sort of grace, but he to pull out all the stops if he was going to defeat this woman and show her the error of his ways.

It would have been a lot easier if she didn’t have him questioning himself again. She was always trying to make him answer questions about himself. She was always making him challenge himself. Was he afraid if she left he wouldn’t be able to do so himself?

”Don’t try and make this about me, Fallon!” Orion found himself crouched, his blade raised horizontally across his vision, ready to lash out in defense at her strikes. ”This is about you and your leaving: That’s it!”

Orion Michaels
Cut to the punchline

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next