Closed Spiritual Damage

Dynasty spies and ghost whisperers step up against the Rujaro. (Ajiv & Translucent pls)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This lazy agricultural settlement rests on the swampy shores of the Middle Suvan at the delta of The Kenash River. The River's slow moving bayou waters have bred a different sort of people - rugged, cultured, and somewhat violent. Sprawling plantations of tobacco and cotton grow on the outskirts of the swamp in the rich Cyphrus soils, while the city itself curls around the bayou and spawns decadence and sins of all sorts. Life is slower in Kenash, but the lack of pace is made up for in the excesses of food and flesh in a city where drinking, debauchery, gambling, slavery, and overbearing plantation families dominate the landscape.

Moderator: Gossamer

Spiritual Damage

Postby Estrellir Konrath on December 18th, 2013, 5:21 pm

Winter 52, 513 AV

Estrellir sat in her office chewing on the feathery end of a quill. Outside rain was pouring down and turning the dusty pathways into muddy swamp. Avalis knew they didn't need even more slippery and wet terrain, but weather deities didn't seem to care.

Neither did the Konti rocking back and forth in her chair. She ran a hand through her damp hair, even curlier than usual, while reading over a few notes she'd made earlier this season. They were based on rumors, her own observations as well as conversations with other Dynasties. As a detective and spy, Estrellir found it her job to be informed about everything going on in and around Kenash. At the beginning of Winter, the Konrath had risen to Magistrate, but that didn't leave their power unquestioned. On the contrary, a mysterious faction was penetrating their society from the outside... creating chaos where order had ruled.

Chair legs hit the floor with a decisive knock. After brief rummaging, Estrellir took a piece of parchment and started scribbling. Writing down her thoughts and ideas often helped her see the big picture, the puzzle formed by all pieces.

The beginning of Winter had seen a Lorak slave dead and mutilated. Days later a Radacke was kidnapped and another slave murdered. They pressured the Magistrate into investigating which resulted in the discovery of an abandoned Rujaro camp and articles from every Dynasty except the Draer. After many days of quiet, a Morealis slave was found castrated and carrying a message, although he died within a day.

By then Estrellir was chewing her lip. A pattern! “He was a loyal slave of Morealis” sounded like pure mockery, so they were working against slavery. What did they plan to achieve by murdering slaves though? Shouldn't they protect those they tried to free? She shook her head. Obviously Rujaro didn't tick that way. There was no doubt they posed a danger to Kenash and the careful peace within its society. No matter how she viewed the slavery issue, it was enough for Estrellir to worry and keep an eye on the matter.

Again she was rocking, ignoring the clerk's nervous gazes. Deep in thought, she lost track of movement and angles. Suddenly her senses toppled over. She had enough time to extend her arms and regain balance, but the quill slipped through her fingers. When she looked down, the floor was speckled with patterns of black ink. Like the movements of the Rujaro, they made no sense, she thought. The quill was broken at the tip as she picked it up. Sighing, she dumped it on the far side of the table.

Stretching and yawning, Estrellir wondered if a quick smoke would help her concentrate. Just when she decided to taste a delicious Rajor brand though, the front door opened. Dim grey light flooded the room and shadows moved with the visitor. “Welcome to my bureau. What can I do for you?” Estrellir asked instinctively, brushing loose white strands out of her face with a webbed hand.

Estrellir Konrath
She Who Finds What Was Lost

Words: 338742
Joined roleplay: September 13th, 2013, 8:24 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Spiritual Damage

Postby Translucent on December 18th, 2013, 5:55 pm

It was simply distasteful, and absurd but all around idiotic, in Loranna Lorak's not so lofty opinion of the situation in Kenash. The slaves are all in terror for fear that they would be fingered as Rujaro, the Dynasty were fearful that their own wealth and fortune would be woefully taken from them by these boogeymen. Kenashern houses were older then many traditions, and held more power then most.. they should be able to rip out this Rujaro threat if people were not so squeamish and weak.

This is what happens when the Magistrate is held by the weak. Oh most people didn't think weak when they thought of the Akalak, but Loranna has watched half the season go by and Konrath had not made any progress. So she was going to take matters into her own hands. Obviously Konrath cared more about a silly Dynasty brat that probably ran off with a Beau and had killed her body slave to cover their tracks then to investigate properly the obvious destruction of property and theft that had occurred to her at the start of Winter.

Thus she found herself entering another Konrath's place of business, hoping that this Konrath had better sense in her head then the head of household. Her attire today was a rich velvet riding vest, over top a white silk brocade, her legs were encased in supple leather riding pants though she had ridden in a carriage rather then ontop of a horse. Her rich brown hair was curled in ringlets and pulled back from her face, causing her cheekbones to be more severe then normal but she liked the look of calm control it gave her. Her eyes were a smoldering gray, befitting her frustrated emotions.

At the Konti's greeting, the Vantha smiled smoothly letting all signs of annoyance and frustration -save her eyes- from her face. "Oh I certainly hope you can." Her voice was not simpering, she could never deign to lower herself that much, but it was cordial with just a touch of warmth in it. Estrellir was a Dynasty, and as such Loranna did not take her normal authoritative tone. Some things had to be handled politically of course. "Of course you are aware of the horrible things that have been happening to the houses. Their slaves being damaged and destroyed, it is absolutely terrible." Loranna stepped forward, looking for a chair but decided instead to stand for the affect of looking down on the Konti. She felt it gave her an air of power, so she remained so. "I was the first to suffer such a loss. Someone stole my property and destroyed it, and ..and Magistrate Konrath is focusing all his attention on those surly Radacke's, completely forgetting about my loss."

Loranna had to be careful here, since Estrellir was related to the Akalak, though the fact that such a small light colored thing could be related to such a huge dark colored thing was beyond Loranna's comprehension. "I am sure that he thinks that the life of a Dynasty is important, and it is!, but she surely is safe with a beau..I am hoping that while Magistrate Lorenzo is running after her, you will help me with my little problem."
Translucent
To be Translucent is to be Vulnerable.

Words: 187106
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2013, 12:59 am
Race: Staff account

Spiritual Damage

Postby Estrellir Konrath on December 20th, 2013, 9:30 pm

Estrellir noticed just who the visitor was as she spoke. A little late, but still within reason, she tilted her head in a gesture of respect adequate for a Dynasty head. Then she nodded, acknowledging the problems with slaves during the last season and showing her awareness. “I remember. While Lorenzo focuses on the big puzzle, I strive to solve the small riddles.” They were part of the big picture, of course, but she opted not to add that.

Although Lorana criticized the Magistrate, Estrellir didn't flinch or even change expression. As a Konrath, she was loyal to her family, but she also understood the frustration of a crime victim. Most needed a scapegoat as well as a detective going after it.

As the Lorak looked around for a chair, Estrellir gave a meaningful glance to her clerk. The girl jumped up, but before she could offer it up, the lady's posture changed. As she straightened to tower over the Konti, Estrellir sat back down and rummaged through a drawer for a fresh quill. Lorana's request was completely reasonable. As a Dynasty head, she required for her property to stay in working order at all times. Why she was asking a representative of Konrath, the current Magistrate, was another question altogether, but that was a question for later.

Dipping the quill into ink, Estrellir looked up. Dust speckled her blouse at the hem and her hair, still damp, could use a comb, but the light in her eyes revealed obsession with her profession. “I understand. Indeed I'm willing to investigate this matter for you, find out what happened to your slave and who is responsible for it. Would you describe it in as much detail as you can remember please? It'd also be useful if I was permitted to see the corpse of your... property.”

Estrellir Konrath

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Spiritual Damage

Postby Translucent on December 22nd, 2013, 4:40 pm

Loranna sighed, not a heavy much put-upon sigh but a carefully cultivated sigh of weariness that really was more act then genuine weariness. "It was the most horrible thing to have to look at. Thank the gods that I had my sister Verena there." Loranna enjoyed playing the part of the weak lady figure, most of the female Dynasty could probably see right past that facade for Loranna was anything but weak or spineless. However the male Dynasties who enjoyed having females simper and purr and speak about how wonderfully masculine they were often fell for the ploy. Very few outside of Lorak family ever saw the true tough as steel and just as brutal Loranna.

"My Tuthron was dragged onto my property after they had already killed him. He had been tied because Verena saw the abrasions on his wrists. HIs brand was removed with a knife, cut off his face. And the words "Loyal Slave" was etched so deep into his chest. There was many many more cuts. Verena, and Magistrate Konrath, agree that blood loss was the primary factor in his death. Why would someone do that to me?"

Loranna did not have to fake the last question, that is truly upset about why they had targeted her. She at first didn't believe Rujaro had, but since the events that had passed she was more sure that they were. However, "I think that the Rujaro have an in around here, a family that is hiding and harboring them. How else can a rag tag band of misfits that didn't know their proper place survive in the swamp? The Draer family, you know, have not been bothered a bit bit them!"
Translucent

Spiritual Damage

Postby Estrellir Konrath on December 24th, 2013, 11:28 am

A hint of sympathy fleeted across Estrellir's features as she nodded. Of course, each and every Dynasty loved spinning intrigues, occasionally seeing others to their graves, but they never got their hands dirty. That could be called the first unwritten rule of Kenash: dirty work was left to the slaves.

As Lorana was describing the incident and the state the body was found in, the Konti bent over her parchment and started scribbling her notes. The scratches from her quill mingled with the human's musical voice and for a few moments no other noise was heard. The clerk kept perfectly still after failing to provide comfort for the guest. “It sounds like the culprit had no interest in you specifically – damaging the slave serves as a warning for all of us. That's why you weren't the only victim. I'm afraid I can't say more at this point.” After finishing the protocol, she looked up. The question of motive was crucial to her work, but she needed more data before voicing a clearer idea.

Then Lorana added another piece to the puzzle, another aspect that didn't fit anywhere. Estrellir folded her arms in front of her chest while rising an eyebrow. “The Draer? Yes, the Rujaro seem to have knowledge only available to residents of Kenash, even Dynasty. I'm not sure if we should blame a whole family without any clear indications though. Perhaps it's only one or two individuals leaking details to them.” Of course, she was treading dangerous paths, disagreeing with someone as powerful as Lorana could become unpleasant, but Estrellir was too obsessed with her work at that moment.

In the following silence she remembered another detail mentioned earlier. “You mentioned your sister Verena. Did she serve as a doctor in the incident? Would you allow me to speak to her too?” After a moment of thinking she added: “Did anyone notice Tuthron appearing on your grounds, perhaps see how he was brought there? Do you know how long he has been dead when you found him?”

Estrellir Konrath

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Spiritual Damage

Postby Translucent on December 24th, 2013, 4:18 pm

Loranna waved her hand, she cared only enough to be relieved that it is not just her own family being targeted but not enough to bother with too many details of the others. She knew others had had some trouble befall her but she was here about her troubles, not theirs. "If it were just a few in the Draer family helping these culprits then why would they spare the whole house..unless it is a powerful Draer.." Loranna sniffs, in seasons prior she would have been more careful to phrase her accusations politically, and not quite so pointed but this season was different.

"Speak to whoever you wish, Verena was there yes." Loranna kept her lip shut on the Rujaro that had been found and taken in. That was something that the Magistrate had declared to be a secret, and for the moment you did not go against Lorenzo Konrath. "They found drag marks, so they knew that he had been dead before he was dumped, also because the blood..' She paled, not because of the thought of poor Tuthron's horrible death, but because of the thought of people being so close to her home. "Lorenzo and his body guard ..Reno.. followed it. You will have to speak to your kin on what they found."
Translucent

Spiritual Damage

Postby Estrellir Konrath on December 25th, 2013, 9:48 pm

Estrellir tried to neither agree nor disagree, but etiquette required her to reply. “It could be. I'm careful with accusations though. You never know who you suspect until you've the final proof.” Clearly, she wasn't at that stage yet, so she'd wait and observe.

Then she nodded and made a note at the bottom of the parchment. It looked like the first part of investigation would lead her to Whitesnake Plantation. Doctors often noticed more than their untrained kin, although she supposed Lorana as the Lorak head possessed some skill in her trademark profession. Anyway, two pairs of eyes saw more than one, so she'd inspect all available viewpoints.

As Lorana mentioned the blood, Estrellir looked up. A hint! Instinct told her it could be the lead she was looking for. Speaking to Reno or Lorenzo himself seemed like a good idea. With luck, she'd get a location to investigate first hand, probably even follow the tracks of the Rujaro while they were still warm. Not to hurry though, stay calm, she told herself. Laying the quill aside, she pressed her fingertips against her eyelids for a moment. Then she stood up and nodded to Lorana in greeting. “Thank you for your information. I'll take it from there. Please expect my visit at your plantation to ask your sister a few questions. We'll inform you if the investigation is complete, meaning the murderer of your slave has been found.”

After seeing the guest out, she returned to her desk to tidy up her notes. The Rujaro, the murders, the atmosphere covering Kenash like a fog since the season start... Her fingertips tickled as she grabbed her cloak and put it on with a flourish. The riddle had her in its grasp, she'd solve the mystery at any cost!

The plan foresaw to visit Verena Lorak at Whitesnake first, then Reno at Boldvine or, if he had time, her father himself.

OOCI hope it's alright to fast-forward a bit. If possible, I'd like to speak to Reno or Lorenzo from the next post onward. Estrellir is his second daughter, so that shouldn't be too distant a possibility. If you've any issues with my plans, please say so via PM.

Estrellir Konrath

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Spiritual Damage

Postby Kalesserimamoru on December 26th, 2013, 12:58 am

Mamoru/Reno sat in his quarters on the Boldvine plantation relaxing in a chair while his boots were propped up on the edge of the wooden table in his room. It wasn't as luxurious as the family rooms, but it was a grade up from the slave rooms, which in this home were nicer than most. Mamoru had his own place of residence in the city now, but this room had been offered upon his employment and he was granted permission to use it when he was on the property.

The rain had gotten worse as the days passed, which had many of the higher class constantly seeking shelter in doors or under some type of awning. Lorenzo Konrath, the magistrate was busy with other matters at the moment, but given the possibility that he may be needed Reno stuck around for a while. The magistrate was a busy man and he was in demand at all bells. It wouldn't be surprising for someone to call for him in the middle of the night, which made for odd bells for his bodyguard.

Every now and again, Reno would walk the halls of the massive home on sort of a patrol where he also looked outside to check on the events going on there also. For the time, nothing was out of order and the lands were calm, except the sound of hard rain falling. Reno sat in silence working over the events of the season inside his mind. He was no longer in the jungle plagued by monkeys, but Kenash had it's own troublesome lot called the Rujaro. The renegade slaves were actively attacking caravans, abducting slaves and killing them.

It was odd to see this being as troubling when the city outnumbered them by far. Still, with their limited strength and resources they seemed to thrive.What was worse is that the Dynasty members were getting restless and wanted, expected something done soon. But Reno was only a bodyguard and he could only do so much without permission. He had to think on it and try and unravel the truth as best as he could and give it to the magistrate. While he thought, the big man stared at a cup of water resting on the table.

He flexed his hand out, fingers spreading as he pushed silvery res from his palm. The mist like gas floated towards the cup and dipped inside to mix with the water there. Reno knew the waters would be drawn to his magic and collected the speckles of water droplets and formed them into tiny balls. He had three in counting and only the outer layer of each had been coated with water. Slowly he started to move his fingers around causing the three water orbs to slowly spin around into a circular motion. Myrian or Rujaro, it didn't matter, he would snuff them out.

"Everything happens out of necessity."
Kalesserimamoru
Just a simple snake

Words: 450418
Joined roleplay: June 1st, 2013, 3:10 pm
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Spiritual Damage

Postby Estrellir Konrath on December 26th, 2013, 9:57 am

It took quite some time to go around the Plantations, although Estrellir considered herself lucky that Whitesnake and Boldvine were neighbors. The last carriage left her at the steps of her home: the bamboo mansion that represented the construction pride of her family.

The first slave told her Lorenzo was busy with Magistrate matters, so after a refreshing stop at her own suite, Estrellir made her way to the room given to the Magistrate's personal bodyguard. By the time she knocked at the door, the sky beyond the windows was growing dim and the air a tad colder. Soon day would make place for night and the swamp would be crawling with creatures unwanted and often unseen. Estrellir hoped to finish the interrogation before complete darkness enveloped the plantations.

After knocking, she pushed the door open and entered. Being a Dynasty, even Lorenzo's own (if only second) daughter granted her certain privileges and advantages compared to the Freeborn she was visiting. With a small flourish, she inclined her head in greeting. “Reno, yes? Well met. I understand you've been involved in the incident with the Lorak slave as my father's bodyguard. If you're available now, I'd like to ask you a few questions about that.” Carefully, she inspected the tall man relaxing with a cup of water and a few orbs floating in the air. Wait, floating?

All she did was press together her lips, other signs of her surprise were swallowed. With great effort, she tried to ignore what she'd seen and finished her inspection with a look around the room. How one decorated their living quarters told a lot about the person occupying it. This had to be the first time she was standing face to face with her father's bodyguard, so attention to detail was a necessity for gathering information. On the other hand, she expected the Freeborn had done his homework on his employer's family or at least got an instinct good enough to treat her with the respect dictated by etiquette.

After greetings were exchanged, Estrellir briefly waited for him to offer a seat, then folded her arms and slipped into the interrogation mindset. “Please tell me what happened from your point of view.”

Estrellir Konrath

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Spiritual Damage

Postby Kalesserimamoru on December 26th, 2013, 4:52 pm

Reno continued to slowly spin the balls around above his hand for another tick before he sent them off. One by one they all bolted across the air and lightly splashed the wall across from him with a light plopping sound. Water reimancy was likely the most soothing element to learn, unless of course one had a fancy for dirty or fire. It was also a useful tool for trickery and for someone like Mamoru, he could never have enough tricks to use.

He started the flow of res a second time from his palm and willed the mist to once again dip into the cup and attract the water particles to mesh with it. Reno drew the water from the cup and this time transformed the collected res and water into four tiny balls and started to twirl them around. That's when he heard a knock at the door and green eyes turned as the door opened a tick later. A woman walked in, one of the Konti that he was learning about.

Reno wasn't used to seeing women like this and found them strangely exotic. There had been women in the nest with blonde hair, but even that had been seen as exotic in away. But these women their hair and skin were as white as snow and they had gills like fish. "Yea, I'm Reno." he said calmly as he released the res and allowed the water to fall back into the cup. He also noted that she didn't bother to say her name. "You must be..lady Konrath?" he made a guess there and most of the women he had saw with their unique look came from that very house they were in now. His question was answered as she said more and he nodded his head in greeting. "Good day my lady."

Sitting up, he shifted his feet from the table, allowing one to slide down and kick the seat opposite him out from under the table so that she could sit down. "Take a seat." Reno was still learning his place in their world and his eyes didn't move from her figure for a tick after she entered. Long flowing hair of white gold, and skin that looked like silk, not to mention long legs that one might expect would allow her to run long distances in a very short amount of time. "I wouldn't say we were involved with it. When the Magistrate was called for the slave was already dead. All that was left to do was make an account of the death and search the scene."

He hadn't decided if he wanted to say more, even her father had said the man they found was to be kept quiet. "I'll tell you want I can, but I should warn you, it's not pretty. What did you want to know?"

"Everything happens out of necessity."
Kalesserimamoru
Just a simple snake

Words: 450418
Joined roleplay: June 1st, 2013, 3:10 pm
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Next