Flashback Friendship Forged in Fire

There is no growth without death.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Friendship Forged in Fire

Postby Noven on December 31st, 2013, 11:22 pm

There were a few close calls, but one by one the children managed to land safely on top of the blanket. One of the orphans bounced right off because the two men had stretched the cloth too tight between landed on the ground with a smack. Nov cringed in sympathetic pain, but the girl merely brushed herself off and ran after her compatriots.

Then there was only Calyn and the seventh child left. "C'mon!, Jump!... We'll catch you!" Nov heard Senghor roar. He looked up in dismay. The girl, who seemed to be the tiniest of the group, was standing on the sill with Calyn's hands around her waist, trembling in fear.

"She's to jump or else the fire will get them," Senghor shouted at his partner. "Do something!"

Nov scowled up at the window, then yelled, "Calyn, do it now! You have no choice!" The old innkeeper looked stricken with grief, but she understood. Without giving the girl a chance to fight, she pushed the child right off the sill.

The girl shrieked. As soon as she fell, Calyn covered her own mouth with her hands in horror, tears streaming down her eyes. Anyone could see that, at the angle of the child's descent, she wasn't going to make it over the blanket. With an audible curse, Nov dropped his end of the woolen cloth and dove forward. He managed to tackle the girl in mid air and sent them both flying sideways, hitting the ground with jarring force. Fortunately, the child was unharmed. Badly shaken and sobbing uncontrollably, but alive and unscratched.

Nov, on the other hand, felt his arm tingle unpleasantly with pain. It was a dull throbbing for now, but come morning he and his new acquaintance Senghor were going to regret their selfless heroics.

He let the child scamper off to join the others and lumbered back to where Seng stood, only to find that Calyn was, once again missing.

"Petching hell, woman!" he swore. "Where did she run off to now?"

"Back inside the building," a sober eyed man answered, staring up forlornly at the empty window. "Last thing she said was that there were more children. And then...well, she was gone."

Nov tried to take a step towards the door, only to scramble back as a large, flaming beam crashed down and exploded in a torrent of red hot debris. Nothing. There was nothing he could do. He stared at the burning windows and screamed, "Calyn!"

But his only answer was the roar of ravenous fire.

A terrible rage filled Noven's heart. He shouted, he cursed, he kicked the fallen beam and threw a crumbling chunk of burnt wood at the dying building. Failure, that's what he was. He couldn't save Nona, and now he couldn't save Calyn. Dead, dead, dead. Everyone he ever cared for was dead.

When at last he ran out of steam, the young man sank to the ground and clutched at his head. There were no tears; he'd long forgotten how to use them. But he felt the bottomless pain of loss all the same.

Noven had no idea how long he sat there, but when he finally came to the fire had died to glowing embers and daylight was breaking over the horizon. People were picking their way through the charred ruins of a good portion of Sunset quarters, though it was a rather fruitless endeavor. Then, someone cried out in surprise. They found a body! No, two! From the looks of it, an adult and a child...

Someone broke down, weeping, as the blackened body was identified.

Calyn was dead.

Noven
Taste my fist

Words: 816073
Joined roleplay: December 16th, 2013, 11:11 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Senghor Vilhjalmr on January 1st, 2014, 12:33 am

Senghor's shoulder stung in pain as he looked up, he really couldn't feel it anymore at that moment it seemed.

He looked up the see Calyn and the little girl, Noven roared over the fire and in the blink of an eye, it'd seemed that everything led to a chain of events. His eyes quickly adjusted to the fallen figure of Noven in pain, the little girl unscathed and still breathing.

As the little child ran off to join her friends he watched the man walk back towards him, clearly in sorts of pain.

"Petching hell" the smaller man swore only to ask where the old lady was, no sooner when he asked that question Seng turned to the voice of the man...

More child... How could it be?, How could there still be more?! Seng asked himself whilst looking at Noven walk up to the door, before he could even utter a word or two the already weak structure came crumbling down and cut off all access right before their eyes.

As Nov's body stiffened for a moment, Senghor knew that stance all too well, it was uselessness it was when one felt as if though they could do nothing and he knew it all too well because he too was once there.

Than after he'd roared her name, the Anger came... Senghor watched as Noven expressed the same ferocity and violence that he once succumb too when he was finally alone. An utter display of rage upon what had hindered his progress.

And than when he was done, the feeling of Failure, when his rage could longer hold his body he sank down in despair, dispassionate agony overwhelming him, the scene looked all too familiar.

After so many chimes Senghor had even found himself a place to sit and watch over that man before him, at that moment he knew that with his instability, he could try taking his own life.

The javelins of daylight peaked over the cuts and lines within the burnt buildings, it was something magnificent in its own right. It was as if the world its breath before any news came, and when it did it sighed a relief, only one that brought bad news and nothing more.

Bodies, they'd found bodies... Senghor stood up from where he'd taken a bit of rest and went up to the building. It was a bad sight which brought even worse news... Calyn was dead.

Senghor knew how this would shatter the man at his side, he turned and slowly spoke to the draught man.

"I once lost everything to fire, I know how it feels, how the confusion, rage and pain of uselessness is like," he said whilst slowly kneeling before the burnt buildings.

"I've bore it before, every waking moment was fueled by it..." he said before pausing once again "She was a good woman, her body dies her, but her spirit will forever linger in the hearts of those who never forget her..."

That dark skinned warrior bowed his head and uttered a few words, a prayer and words of thanks before he stood up and turned to the man.

He waited for Noven to do what he had to do before talking again, "Hey, I don't really know you all too well. But if you need anything, I'll help if I can"

Senghor slowly turned and began moving towards his cottage, luckily the fire hadn't gotten that far and he was thankful for it as the grasped his shoulder and moved towards his home, he felt an odd sense of leaving things incomplete, it was unnerving at best
From the soil we came, From the soil we conquered,
My past is dead, my path dark, my rage is the herald of my blade.
Kudos goes to Alea for help with my CS.

Back, but Expect slow replies.
Senghor Vilhjalmr
Player

Words: 273907
Joined roleplay: March 28th, 2013, 11:03 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Noven on January 1st, 2014, 2:22 am

It wasn't until the man spoke that Noven realized Senghor had kept vigil for him all through the night. Since Nona's death, the young man couldn't remember the last time someone had looked after him. Maybe Calyn, when her hands weren't full, but now even she...

"She was a good woman," Senghor's steady voice said, "her body dies her, but her spirit will forever linger in the hearts of those who never forget her..."

Nov nodded in agreement, rather moved by the man's words. Perhaps it was not such a coincidence after all, that two kindred souls such as theirs, riddled with pain and failures and rage, had met on such a tragic night. Uselessness, that was a good word. Despite all the lives they had saved the previous night, it was the only thing he felt.

Useless.

He watched, hollow eyed, as people crowded around Calyn's body, as well as that of the child she had tried to save. Her body would crumble to ash as soon as they touched it, so they had to settle for holding an informal gathering around her. Crazy, loving woman, Nov thought, shaking his head, helping those orphans right up to her last tick. He stayed behind, knowing he would not have the strength to stare down at her charred body and say his last goodbyes. He didn't even know where he was going to stay now with Sunset in such a disastrous state. He had no friends, no family to speak of. And his only employer was burnt to a crisp.

A thought struck him. He got to his feet and turned around, only to catch sight of Senghor's retreating back, one hand clutching at his injured shoulder.

Nov hesitated for a moment. He could just let the man go, never bother him again. Sure, there had been some sort of connection, some tiny spark of hope that maybe, just maybe, he didn't have to feel like the last man on Mizahar. He was terrible with asking for help anyway. It stung his pride like nothing else and he avoided it at all costs.

But, look at me, no home, no friends. What do I even have left to lose, other than my life?

He entertained the idea of giving up his life as well, worthless thing that it was. It would be easy just to lay down and die. Easy, to accept a death he very well deserved...

Something about the weakness of those words stirred new anger inside of him. Nona's voice returned to haunt him, scolding him, mocking him for his cowardice. How dare he. How dare he play with the idea of death when she had no such luxury! He didn't deserve eternal rest.

He didn't deserve for anything to be easy, let alone death.

Besides, he still had a bloody vengeance to carry out. For what seemed like the hundredth time, the very thought of revenge lent strength he thought he had otherwise lost and Nov broke into a jog, catching up to the towering man in little to no time.

"Hey," he greeted, panting a little. "I, um, thank you, again. For staying. For everything that you said, too. It helped, to know I wasn't the only one who has to...to live with those feelings."

Nov was walking side by side with Senghor now, head bowed and hands stuffed into his pockets. The look of discomfort was painfully obvious in his body language, but he plowed through his awkwardness and useless attachment to his ego. "I owe you a big one, and before I've even had the chance to repay it, I have to ask another favor..."

He balked for a moment, then cleared his throat. "Er, that is...do you happen to have a place to stay?"

Noven
Taste my fist

Words: 816073
Joined roleplay: December 16th, 2013, 11:11 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Senghor Vilhjalmr on January 1st, 2014, 12:07 pm

Seng felt like he'd regret his decision, his shoulder was probably throbbing just to reassure him of how much regret he had in his decision but he couldn't, Noven just seemed like a guy that Seng would want to stick around, he seemed tough enough.

Sure the two didn't know each other well enough, and with the Vilhjalmr's current situation with debtors he probably shouldn't even trust anyone. Noven didn't look like one of those bastards, he looked more like a spirit lost to rage and hatred just like he was.

Senghor stopped slightly and inclined his head towards the shorter man and slightly smirked, "If you can pull your own weight than I might just have a spot for you..."

Seng waited for Nov to go get his stuff, and it didn't take too long until the two men were sitting the confines of his cottage, it was sizable enough to hold as a couple of people but at that moment, two was just enough.

Senghor sat his chair, it moaned and creaked under his lean form whilst he sat there nursing his wound, the silence of the house filled with the occasional groan and grunt.

Looking up, Senghor asked a question that allowed him to know more about the man before him, and probably more importantly a little more about himself.

"So, what's your story?..."
From the soil we came, From the soil we conquered,
My past is dead, my path dark, my rage is the herald of my blade.
Kudos goes to Alea for help with my CS.

Back, but Expect slow replies.
Senghor Vilhjalmr
Player

Words: 273907
Joined roleplay: March 28th, 2013, 11:03 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Wrenmae on February 6th, 2014, 7:52 pm

XP Award!

Senghor:

XP Award:
  • +2 Running
  • +1 Body Building
  • +1 Leadership
  • +1 Climbing
  • +2 Observation
  • +1 Philosophy

Lore:
  • Noven: Comrade
  • Heroism: Saving orphans from a fire

Notes: Not much to say. Well done, saving those tykes

Noven:

XP Award:
  • +1 Medicine
  • +2 Observation
  • +1 Running
  • +2 Climbing
  • +1 Acrobatics
  • +1 Brawling
  • +1 Leadership
  • +1 Body Building

Lore:
  • Senghor Vilhjalmr: Comrade
  • Heroism: Saving orphans from a burning building
Notes: Yay! Saved kids.

Comments :
If you feel I missed anything, let me know.

WRENMAE

Sig by Shausha

This PC has the Blight gnosis. As such, you as a player need to be aware of what that consists of. Wrenmae has an invisible aura that amplifies sickness and disease. Wounds may become infected, small sneezes may become coughing, and a slight fever may become more serious. A nuit's body will also break down faster in the presence of the Blight. These effects may not be immediate, but within the few days following your encounter, the symptoms will manifest. Some sooner than others. I cannot control your character, so creativity will be left up to you. Best wishes and stay healthy!

Special shoutout to Fallon for my new CS
Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Words: 1276299
Joined roleplay: April 15th, 2011, 6:34 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Previous