[The Sanctuary] A companion

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Palla Frostfawn on January 3rd, 2014, 2:00 pm

Timestamp: 3rd of winter, 513 AV
I feel so lonely. Oh, how I miss my friends in Avanthal! I never thought it would be so lonely in Riverfall. I need some sort of companion, animal or not. You know... I have been thinking of getting a dog for a while, and I have been particularly interested in the Silkena for quite some time now. I've heard they sell them in The Sanctuary. It can't hurt to just take a look. Dogs are loyal, and I doubt a dog would mind my stammering.

​ Palla put on her cloak, stepped into her boots, and grabbed her backpack and her map. She opened her door and stepped out of the condo building, careful to close the door behind her. Palla winced as the stinging cold air hit her, but Palla, growing up in Avanthal, quickly got used to it. She walked quickly through the almost melted snow, and using her map, she found her way to The Sanctuary.

​ Palla stopped at the entrance. What if they refuse to sell me a dog? They may think I'm unstable because of my stammering. What if...?
Palla Frostfawn
Player

Words: 117768
Joined roleplay: November 30th, 2013, 3:58 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Kavala on January 13th, 2014, 5:16 am

An incredibly pregnant Konti was sitting on a rain barrel looking for the life of her like she couldn't move an inch more when Palla walked through the gates. The Konti had a very stubborn looking Seme stallion standing without head gear near her. The woman seemed to be glaring at the stallion and the stallion seemed to be glaring at her. Two giant Imperial watchers, one black and one harlequin, lay at her feet. It almost appeared a relief of sorts, when the young woman walked through the gate and seemingly broke up the wordless argument conducted only in glares.

Kavala turned, signed, and then offered the newcomer a smile. She waved slightly, didn't get up, and scanned the road behind the girl to see if she was bringing in any sick or injured animals. Kavala quickly ascertained she was alone, and offered her a greeting.

"HI there. I'm Kavala Denusk. Welcome to The Sanctuary. What can I help you with today?" She said, glancing at the stallion who suddenly lifted his head, snorted in disgust, and dropped his head again giving the healer another exasperated glare.

"Sorry about his attitude. He's got a nail through one of his hoof walls, and I can' t even remotely lift his hoof and he refuses to hold it up himself. So the nail is staying in and his pain is staying at high levels until we form a truce." The Konti said, stroking her swollen belly as if that was the reason she refused to manhandle the giant horse' hoof.

One of the dogs rose, stretched, and wandered over to the stranger to offer her a sniff and a wagging tail. It was the dark one. "That's Ink. He's just saying hello. This one is Indigo. And grumpy over there..." Kavala gestured to the horse after pointing to the black dog and then the black and white female. "... is Sivak. It's not his fault hes so silly and thinks he can't stand on three legs while I pull out a nail." Kavala said, glaring at the horse again.

The horse snorted and stamped a front hoof as if he understood every word she was saying.
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Palla Frostfawn on January 13th, 2014, 9:48 pm

Palla was greeted by a very pregnant Konti sitting on a barrel. Two dogs lay at her feet, and a horse stood beside her. "Hi there. I'm Kavala Denusk. Welcome to The Sanctuary. What can I help you with today?" "I-I'm Palla." Palla introduced herself."I-I was wondering if I could take a look at the dogs you have." Palla stammered."I-I've been thinking of getting a Silkena for a while, a-and I heard that this was the place to go.

Palla glanced at the horse, who seemed to be glaring at the woman. "Sorry about his attitude. He's got a nail through one of his hoof walls, and I can' t even remotely lift his hoof and he refuses to hold it up himself. So the nail is staying in and his pain is staying at high levels until we form a truce." The huge horse was scaring Palla a little, but Palla felt obliged to help Kavala. She was pregnant, after all."D-Do you need help? I-I don't know much about horses, but I could probably hold his hoof up."

One of the dogs, the dark one, wandered over to Palla. He sniffed her and wagged his tail. Palla bent down to pet him. Kavala introduced her to the dog, named Indigo, and the horse, who was named Sivak. She glanced at the horse. Palla felt sorry for him, as he was probably in a lot of pain. Oh, poor Sivak.
Last edited by Palla Frostfawn on January 14th, 2014, 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Palla Frostfawn
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Kavala on January 14th, 2014, 9:25 pm

"Hi Palla. Nice to meet you. Sure, we have a few Silkena for sale. I'd be glad to show you. But if you want to help me a chime first, that would be fantastic." He Konti heaved herself off the rain barrel and walked back over to the stallion. The dogs, Ink and Indigo, followed. She stroked the stallions neck, that was still glaring at her, and pulled a pair of pliars from her pocket.

"Can you just pick up his back hoof for a minute? I'll grab the nail and we'll be done with it." She said, happy that help had literally walked right through her front gate. She'd make sure, in exchange, that Palla got the best pick of her puppies or adult dogs if she wanted.

"Just walk over, run your hand down his leg, grab on the hair at the ankle, and tug a bit... say 'pick it up' and then hold it tight for me. I'll grab the nail."
She said, looking encouraged..
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Palla Frostfawn on January 14th, 2014, 10:38 pm

"Hi Palla. Nice to meet you. Sure, we have a few Silkena for sale. I'd be glad to show you. But if you want to help me a chime first, that would be fantastic. "I-I'm happy to help." Palla replied. It was true; Palla was happy to help anyone in need.
"Can you just pick up his back hoof for a minute? I'll grab the nail and we'll be done with it.Just walk over, run your hand down his leg, grab on the hair at the ankle, and tug a bit... say 'pick it up' and then hold it tight for me. I'll grab the nail." Palla followed Kavala's instructions exactly a she was told. She slowly ran her hand down the horse's leg, admiring the strong animal. Palla grabbed the hair on the horse's ankle with a firm grip. "Pick it up" she said as she tugged, trying to sound confident. At least I didn't stammer, but I hear they can smell fear The horse picked up his foot.
Palla Frostfawn
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Kavala on January 20th, 2014, 5:24 am

OOCHi there. You don't need to repeat my dialog. I know what I said. :)

Kavala was enormously grateful the girl came along when she did and that she was brave enough to go lift up the horses' hoof. He wasn't the smallest horse either. The big stallion snorted, dropped his head, and shifted his weight so the girl could hold the hoof off the ground. Kavala climbed off the rain barrel, walked over carefully, bent down and grabbed the nail by the pliers and gave it a tug. The thing slipped free and the horse sighed in relief. "Okay.. just gently lower it down, watch your fingers... don't drop it abruptly." She said softly, already staring at the bloody nail at the end of her pliers. She tucked the nail and pliers into the work apron she was wearing that barely concealed the mass of her stomach and smiled.

"Great job. Thank you for your help. Now.. about that Silkena?"
Kavala said, walking over to the horses' head, giving him a pat, and then opening the gate to let him back into the arena. "Would you like to go see the puppies we have or are you interested in an adult dog?" Kavala said carefully, already having thought of Palla as perhaps wanting a puppy. But really it didn't matter. They had a variety of ages and trainings.. .surely one would suit the girl and what she wanted in a companion.

"Tell me a bit about why you want a dog too... and what sort of activities you do. It will help me decide which ones to show you. Personality counts for a lot here."
She said, reassuring Palla that there were plenty of personalities in her kennel.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Palla Frostfawn on January 20th, 2014, 3:13 pm

Palla held up the Sivak's hoof and looked expectantly at Kavala. Kavala climbed off of the barrel, walked over to the horse's hoof, and pulled the nail out. The horse was so relieved that it sighed. Palla gently lowered the Sivak's hoof, following Kavala's instructions, and followed Kavala's gaze to the bloody nail. Palla stared at in in awe. How could Kavala have taken this all so casually? I would have been driven almost to tears for the poor thing. Although, she's probably used to it. If she cried when helping every hurt animal, her business would be in ruins.

Kavala smiled at Palla and thanked her. "N-No problem." Kavala patted the horse and let him back into the arena. She asked Palla if she wanted a puppy or an adult dog, why she wanted one, and what she liked to do,. "I-I was thinking of a puppy, j-just because they are easier to train." Palla stammered in reply. "I've always loved animals, and ever since I moved here, I've been so lonely. I-I want a companion, and I-I don't imagine a dog would mind my stammering."

"I carve a lot, and I like to run. I-I use about a bell of my day just running through the city. I-I would like a dog that I can run with, and one that has a pretty friendly disposition. I-I don't need a dog that tries to guard me, b-but rather one that will interact with people in a kind way."
Palla Frostfawn
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Kavala on January 20th, 2014, 5:09 pm

"Oh, your a runner? Then you will be perfect for a Silkena puppy. They need to run.. daily if possible because they are built for speed, all of them. Here, come with me.. and I'll show you the kennel where we keep them." Kavala said, leading the girl deeper into the heart of The Sanctuary. They traveled around the big main arena, passed two smaller barns, and then came upon the Kennel tucked on the eastern side of the compound. One end seemed to house Imperial Watchers while the other end housed Silkenas. The young dogs were out and about this time of morning, in a huge run where they all played together with numerous toys while several adult dogs supervised.

"You had in mind just one? They really enjoy going in pairs, but come in... I'll let you in and you can get mugged." She said with a laugh, unlatching the gate and opening it wide enough for Palla to slip through. She followed, latching the gate behind her and laughed as all of the current dozen puppies dropped what they were doing and charged Palla, assuming she wanted to play. One tugged her hem, another licked her hand, yet a third jumped upon her barking happily. The dogs looked about ten to twelve weeks old, perfect to be adopted out.

"This batch are 15 GM a piece, but if they are going together, I can set you up with two for 20 GM. They do really well hunting and running in pairs."
Kavala said laughing as one nipped at Palla's toes and urged her to play. Kavala walked over, and with some effort picked up a tug toy - a braided piece of rope knotted on both ends - and tossed it to Palla. Before the girl knew it, half the dogs in the dogyard wanted to play tug o-war with her.

"We have pretty much any color and personality. Since your a runner, you're going to be fine with any of them.. they need exercise daily pretty badly."
Kavala said with a laugh, glad that Palla had dropped by.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Palla Frostfawn on January 21st, 2014, 8:40 pm

Kavala said that the Silkena puppies needed to run, and that they would pe perfect for her. According to Kavala, they were built for speed. “How fast can they run?” I hope I can keep up with them. Kavala lead her deeper into She Sanctuary. They passed a big arena, probably the main one, and two smaller barns before coming upon the kennel. The dogs all played together, except for the older looking ones, who just watched.

Kavala told Palla she could get just one Silkena, but they did better in pairs.“I had in mind just one, b-but if they do better in pairs, two it shall be.” Kavala unlatched the gate and they both slipped through. All of the puppies dropped their toys and ended their games, running to Palla. There was a dog tugging her hem, amother licking her hand, and yet another jumping on her. Palla giggled "W-Woah!" she exclaimed."T-They sure have a lot of energy!"

The dogs were 15 GM apiece, but Kavala said she would give Palla a deal, 2 for 20 GM. At least she's giving me a good deal. I don't have much money, but keeping those extra 10 mizas will help. Palla was so caught up with the dogs that she didn't realize what Kavala was doing. A tug toy was thrown at her, and distractedly, she caught it. Soon, about half the dogs in the yard wanted to play a game of tug-of-war with her. Palla giggled as she played a game of tug-of-war with the puppies. Palla relaxed, enjoying playing with the animals. Her eyes turned purple as she grew more comfortable. For a bit, Palla forgot her worries. She was especially attracted to a pair of puppies who seemed to really enjoy each other's company. One of the puppies was black, the other white, and when Palla dropped the tug toy, they enjoyed a game of tug-of war with each other, momentarily distracted.

"I-I really like these dogs." Palla said, pointing to the pair.
OOCIs it ok to make up the colors of the dogs?
Palla Frostfawn
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Kavala on January 24th, 2014, 7:28 pm

Kavala nodded, watching the girl play with the white and black pups. "Those are a fine choice. They are six months old, independent, and love to go out on the beach. You'll need to take them out at least once a day for a run. They will eat a handful of meat twice a day, but mostly you can get food cheap from the butcher. Ask him for dog suitable scraps. A few copper a day shall feed them. You'll need to brush them daily and bathe them once a week. You can use your own bath water. I will give you special soap I philter myself for their silky coats. It has palm and tea tree oil in it. That should keep them nice and healthy." Kavala said, looking thoughtful.

"Just feed them meat and the occasional rice or vegetable treats. The white one likes carrot pieces while the black one loves slices of apples. No grapes or raisins, they can hurt them. Other things to avoid are... bread dough, chocolate, nuts, hops, and alcohol. They will hunt, so don't mind them if they eat mice, rabbits, that sort of thing."
Kavala aid, looking thoughtful. "I will send them home with you with collars and leashes, but you'll have to buy food bowls and a brush in the market. We don't stock that kind of thing here." She added, looking the girl over and trying to decide what more she could have missed.

"Do you have any questions, Palla?"
Kavala asked, wanting the girl to be sure that the dogs were the right ones for her. "Normally, I'd say lets take the pair for a run on the beach, but I'm in no condition too. If you want, I can allow you to bring them back if they don't suit you though. That's about the best I can do right now since we can't really go for a walk with them or anything like that." Kavala said, quietly hoping the girl had chosen wisely.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Next