Completed [Windmount Stables] To see a man about a horse.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Windmount Stables] To see a man about a horse.

Postby Xira Hezmek on January 31st, 2014, 1:36 am

Season of Winter, Day 50, 513 AV

Xira rubbed his eyes with a gloved hand and yawned. He peered blearily out of a window, one of the precious few in the citadel that exist in the hallways, Syna was taking her place in the sky and her heavenly court heralding her arrival in tones of pink and orange. It was too early in the morning.

Already the Nettle district's businesses were opening up and the public was eagerly going about its business. The young courier-to-be couldn't imagine why these people wanted to be up so early. Sure, many of them were peasants and did this to maintain their routine. Yet, planting season wasn't for another couple score of days. Xira would rather be in bed, warm and cozy till the afternoon bell if he had the choice. But it was not his choice, his mind, or body, or perhaps soul decided to torment him by making too energetic to sleep much more than a couple hours at a time. He was sleepy, maybe even tired, but no amount of laying in his bed would put him back to sleep.

In any case, he would stop procrastinating and go see a man about a horse. His horse, or at least a horse that he would buy. Thus he made his way through the Nettle district without incident to exit out into the Windmount District. Out into the cold, again. It was exciting to go out and get a horse; it something he had never done before, and it made the young man's sides shiver in anticipation, but maybe it was just the cold.

He had been in this district before with Temur, but the wide open space after the claustrophobic confines of the Citadel was always enough to take the young man's breath away. Ten acres of flat, open space, interspersed with corrals, fences and low roofed wooden structures housing the horses in question when they weren't out grazing. The fields were winter-yellowed and covered in hoarfrost, though Syna was doing her best to melt the faux snow. Xira wasn't much of a farmer, or a horseman, but he wondered if they planted winter cropgrass or if they just let the grass grow wild.

A bump against his back roused him from his thoughts, and a yawn not quite completed as he turned to see what his aggressor was. A muttered apology and a light wave told him all he needed; he was holding up traffic and people were trying to get past. He flushed and apologized politely. Last thing he needed was a knight to come along and order him along. So naturally he made his way down the well worn path to the barns.

Dawn had just come and already the barns were bustling with activity. Of course, the young man considered glumly, horse people are always early risers. Especially Temur. But then again, what would I do if they were not open? Wait around for them to wake up? Xira watched young stablehands move around bales of hay and sacks of oats, moving this way and that. They cleaned out the night's droppings and cleared out the stall's hay. It was almost intimidating to be around such productive people.

The smell of horses wafted out the barn. Xira couldn't say that he particularly liked the smell, but there was nothing overly offensive of the scent either. If anything, it was tolerable, especially when you had as many horses in one place as this one. Xira peered about looking for the people in charge, but a tap on his shoulder indicated that a person in charge had found him. Mounted on a tall, beautiful Tiaden warhorse, no less than Serena Windmount was peering down at the stickish figure. "An early one, aren't you?"

Xira stammered a bit, having nearly jumped out of his skin from the surprise, "y-yes Ma'am. Good morning Serena."

The young woman regarded him with a small smile, "Haven't seen you around for awhile. Where's Temur?" Her lips tugged downward when Xira shook his head, "Oh, I am sorry... Um, I forgot your name, sorry about that too. Temur was a good guy, took good care of his horse..." She trailed off, So, what can I do for you?"

Xira brightened a bit now that they were off such a sore subject and replied readily, "I am here to buy a horse." He gave her his best smile, "I need a good mount to carry me to the lands beyond those walls." He gestured to the walls, "That way I can be a courier like Temur was."

Serena swung down from her horse, who waited patiently, and took hold of the reigns. Right then, what was your name?" Which Xira supplied politely, " Alright Xira, we have a number of suitable mounts I would think. Let's go take a look." She then led her tall mare and her newest customer into the barn.

OOCFamiliarity to be established in flashbacks :)
Let me know if the font choice needs to be changed.
Last edited by Xira Hezmek on February 10th, 2014, 9:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
Dear Graders: I collect location lore!
Xira Hezmek
Here's the mail it never fails.

Words: 227264
Joined roleplay: November 29th, 2013, 9:38 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Xira Hezmek on February 3rd, 2014, 8:42 am

Once inside the barn Serena led the two straight to the mare's stall. "This is Ardent. She is a fine broodmare. The knights really would like to get their hands on her, but they know I know best." She stroked along the mare's neck affectionately, smoothing the short fur. Serena then called over to a stablehand and ordered him to remove the tack and rub her down. "So then, you probably would like horse that can take you where you need to be as quickly as possible"

Xira was distracted by his own thoughts so he didn't respond right away, why was she riding a breeding horse? Especially so early in the morning? He blinked and registered the question."Oh, yes. Yes ma'am. I would also like to know how to take care of it, I can pay for training." Serena nodded to this and showed an open hand, "Five gold mizas should cover that, and I'll even throw in a day of stabling while I teach you. But, we are getting ahead of ourselves. Need to find the beauty for you before we train you." The woman gave Xira a meaningful look and continued on to the other barns.

Serena led Xira to one particular barn off to the side. Inside were horses. Big surprise there. But each of these horses were unusual compared to the common paints, Tiaden and Zavian. Instead there were glowing horses, vicious looking red and black horses, and horses that looked otherwise normal to such an untrained eye. Serena watched Xira look at each horse curiously, letting him explore the barn and stalls while she waited off to the side, "Anything catch your eye?" She asked. Which Xira replied, "I thought you had a horse in mind. But what is this one?" He pointed to a horse that either glowed or shimmered depending on where the light fell or didn't fall. "That is a Gilding. Not what I had a mind, but most seem drawn to it. Probably the glowing. He's a handful, the breed tends to be. But yeah, I had one in mind, look around first though."

And so he did. Serena told him about Ravok Bloodmanes when he asked her about a certain imposing mare. The courier to be was kind of intimidated by the creature and kept his distance when she explained the details. He was entranced by the idea of getting a Sungold, Firemane or a Tidal pony but they were either out of his budget or not old enough for or trained for riding. Which was a shame but he would have to deal with the lack of those mounts. When he finally asked what exactly which horse she had in mind the enigmatic woman smiled and brought Xira to the stalls at the end. A tall black stallion to one side and a white mare in the opposite stall. Xira headed to the black stallion which made Serena smirk. "Men." She simply said, shaking her head and waving the young man over to the white mare. "This is a windrunner. They are one of the fastest breeds of horse out there. Rain, storm or shine they will take you as far and as fast as you are willing to go. They have incredible stamina and I think she will do well for you." She paused for a moment, "would you like to meet her?"

Xira was still digesting the words of the mistress of the establishment when she offered the chance to meet the horse. He actually really like horses. Temur's Kavinka Paintedmount was a wonderful horse, patient and calm to be around. He hoped that this horse would be like Bayar. The windrunner tossed her pale maned head and looked at the two of them with liquid eyes brown eyes. "Of course. Does she have a name?" The courier asked while Serena opened the stall out and let Xira in, following behind him. "We call her Snow, but you are free to name her whatever you like if you want her."

Xira was only half paying attention at this point. He smiled and started talking soothingly to the horse, just like how he used to when he was around Bayar, just like Temur had. Snow nickered, her ears pricked up, listening to this new stranger. He slowly moved forward, Serena stayed back while her customer greeted the animal. Snow danced back and forth, perhaps a bit unsure of this newcomer before she extended her neck, and her lower lip drew back, curiously and cautiously moving forward. "I think she likes your smell" Serena chuckled softly, "I don't suppose you have an apple on you?" He shook his head, he had an apple for breakfast but he did not have another to spare. He kept his focus on the horse and came up along side it, slowly stroking its neck. He ran his fingers through the mare's short pale fur. She leaned into his touch and Xira smiled. "I don't think I've ever seen a horse take a liking to a man so quickly, not to someone who has never owned a horse before. I bet that's temur's fault, huh?" Serena wasn't expecting a response and that was fine by her.
Xira Hezmek

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Xira Hezmek on February 9th, 2014, 10:04 am

"How much is she?" He asked Serena without looking up. Xira was too fascinated by the creature who leaned into his pats and rubs. Snow certainly seemed to have taken a liking to the young man. He wondered if this would be the case for every horse he ran into. Probably not, but he could dream.

Serena leaned against the stall watching the two, a man and his horse."She costs 75 gold ones." The man nodded and the horse shook out her mane and moved over to the stablemaster seeking attention from her too. Xira followed her with a smile on his face, enjoying the simple pleasures of being with the horse. "I can also sell you the gear and stable her for as long as she is here. Just let me know when you are here and we'll put it on your tab, which you will have to pay at the end of the season, or whenever you leave."

"That sounds fair" Xira said, "But I already have much of the horse gear, Temur left it to me. Claimed he didn't need it." He yawned again, which was echoed by the mare.

He watched Serena rub the horse's nose and thought about what he was about to go through with. On the road, if he ever made it out of the city, this would likely be his only companion. He would need to feed her, shelter her, protect her from the hazards of the wilderness and in return she would take him to lands far away. He had to be sure that this creature was the right one. It was more than that she was something to be bought or sold. She would need to be like a good friend, or at least a loyal companion perhaps like a dog would be. Though that felt silly since she was not a dog, obviously. An idea came to him.

"Could I ride her first? Before I make a decision I mean." Which was met with a nod. "Just let me get her gear on, unless you would like to." She replied, Xira shook his head and she left only to return with said gear. Snow seemed giddy to get out of her stall, it was early morning and she must be an early riser. Goodness.

Not long later they were out in the field. Xira was in the saddle, his hands gripping the reins with Serena looking on. Xira wondered if he was keeping her from something. She was in charge of the entire establishment, didn't she need to be managing the place? He was distracted by Snow. She really liked to run. Apparently she had been too cooped up in her stall. Riding her wasn't so much riding as it was steering her headlong dashes. It was exhilarating, naturally, but also incredibly scary too. He had very little control over the horse as she raced around the track and he wasn't a strong enough rider to really control the animal. But she was fast and she had incredible stamina, running endlessly. He understood why Serena figured Snow was a good horse for his job. The world seemed to blur around him as he bounced along in the saddle.

Clearly he needed to practice riding before he went anywhere with her.
Xira Hezmek

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Xira Hezmek on February 10th, 2014, 8:38 am

After his little ride on Snow Serena had a stable hand lead her back to her stall. The stablemaster had a serious look on her face. "So 80 gold mizas sound about right? 75 for snow and 5 for the lesson on how to care for her?" Xira nodded and added his affirmation incase the nod was not sufficient. "I mostly need to know what to feed her, how to keep her healthy and what to take on long trips. Anything else would help."

Xira felt like a horse himself. Serena led him around as surely as if he had reins attached to him. An interesting idea. This time she led him to the supply rooms. "I don't suppose you have the money on you?"

"Oh, yeah. I do. Let me get that."

He pulled from an inner coat pocket a small pouch and began to pull mizas out. He counted up to 4 score before dumping the rest into his coat pocket and the indicated amount back into the pouch. Xira had intended on spending no more than 100 mizas, and he brought along only that much to make sure they didn't burn holes into his pockets. Luckily he still had 20 mizas left, perhaps he could buy stuff at the nettle district. He handed the pouch to Serena who quickly recounted it. She smiled widely after and offered to shake his hand, which he quickly took. "Pleasure doing buisness with you. Snow is officially yours. You know, some feel that getting a new horse means you should name it. Just saying." She turned, tucked the money away and headed further into the storage area, "So, I'll let you have today's stabling free, so if you take her to go riding or out of the city, the boys will know not to hassle you when you bring her back. Otherwise stabling is five silver mizas a day. That includes feed, hay, the works. We take good care of our horses." She used her hand to indicate large bags of feed and the bales of hay.

"Speaking of, taking care of a horse is not that hard at all. All you really need to do is keep them away from poisonous grazing material and brush them down before and after you saddle them. Everything else is somewhat a science." She paused and moved over to a bag of several different kinds of feed, indicating each grain. "For instance corn, oats and barley are important feedcrops to a horse, gives them plenty of energy and keeps their coats healthy. But it also lacks certain nutrients that you would find from grazing, which is why we add molasses and ground eggshells to older horses' feed." Serena then gestured to the barrels with spigots in their side and sacks of what looked like flower before she waved Xira's attention to the bales of different colored hay. "But hay, alfalfa, clover are also important to their diet. We see that if horses eat certain types of hay in addition to grains they tend to live longer and healthier lives. I think it is because of the medicinal and nutrients each kind of hay has. Bottomline is, as you take care of your horse you will come to know her needs. Here let me show you what we feed Snow."

Xira let his teacher continue with her monologue, taking mental notes and keeping attentive to the words she was saying. She was an excellent teacher and explained each component of snow's feed and how they affected the horse and how they came to the conclusion. It turned out that caring for horses was a practice of adjusting what they eat and keeping them well exercised. There were general rules, of course, but depending on breeds and growth period horses needed different things. Since Snow had only recently started to go through sexual maturity, her feed had to be monitored. They also had to keep the stallions away, when out of the stall unless they intended to breed her, which was not yet the case. Since the horse was fairly young they had to keep a close eye on her, and Serena assured him that she would show him just how to do that, though more lessons would probably be in order.

The stablemaster was a patient teacher as well, answering questions and asking his thoughts. She then helped him make a ratio of feed for snow based on what she taught him. She would have the stablehands follow the ratio, so that he could see the effects. By the time Serena decided that she explained enough for Xira to get started at least it was nearly noon bell. They parted ways, bidding the other good day and went on with their day. Before Xira left he felt he had to go see his new horse. He figured he could rename Snow, but maybe some other time after he had given it some thought. Snow greeted him with a soft snort, coming to the entrance of the stall for attention. She seemed to recognize him after only such short amount of time. That was good. He smiled softly and looked into those liquid brown eyes as he rubbed her snout. "What do you think? Do I have what it takes to care for you?" He asked her. She didn't answer, but her silence and soft breathing was comforting all the same. Even in the middle of the noisy, busy barn, he felt isolated from the world with this animal, this companion. The courier didn't even know the horse very well, but he felt he had made a good choice.

Ledger change-75GM for a Windrunner horse
-5 GM for Horsemanship training
Xira Hezmek

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Radiant on February 28th, 2014, 3:29 pm

Xira :
Experience
Skill XP Earned
Observation +2 XP
Socialization +3 XP
Negotiation +1 XP
Riding: Horse +1 XP
Animal Husbandry +1 XP

Lores
Lore Earned
Gilding: Shimmering Horse Breed
Bloodbane: Scary Horse Breed
Windrunner: Fast Horse Breed
Snow: My Windrunner Horse
Animal Husbandry: How To Take Care Of A Horse

Loots
+1 Windrunner Horse
-80 GM

Notes :
Awwww~ Such a cute thread! I hope Xira and Snow get along well!

My radiance is not bright enough?
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade, beam me a PM and we can work it out. :)
Radiant
Sailor Radiant

Words: 781936
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2013, 1:39 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)