Completed [Syliras] No Questions Asked (Xira)

Do the job, get the money, walk away.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Syliras] No Questions Asked (Xira)

Postby Radiant on February 3rd, 2014, 4:58 pm

18th of Winter 513 A.V, 19th of Bell, The Rearing Stallion

The Rearing Stallion, a favorite establishment for citizens from various kinds of social standings, from laborer to wealthy merchants. This particular tavern was always full, no matter what season, especially in the night. Men and women enjoyed a jolly good time, drinking ale and dancing to music from bards. A fighter boasting his latest endeavors in slaying one hundred Yukmen by himself, a broken-hearted lover drowning herself in sorrow, and a courier just having a good time.

This courier, Xira Hezmek, with olive, tanned skin like the deserts of Eyktol, deep blue eyes much like the Suvan sea, and deep dark hair. With his looks, he could easily snatch a woman or two to be his companion in the tavern, but... it was not a woman who approached him that night. It was an average-build man with stubble beard, brown hair, and equally brown eyes, wearing common clothing. The man walked into the tavern the immediately on an empty stool beside Xira, he ordered a glass of ale then without turning his eyes, he spoke, "I heard you are reliable," From his tone, it was very neutral and business-like, he obviously knew the fact that Xira was a courier, "I have a job, one hundred golds, easy delivery".

If the courier accepted, the man would quickly slid a small bottle to Xira, the bottle was filled with a yellowish-liquid, "Go to Illythian District, apartment number 23, woman named Ursula, give the bottle, she'll give you gold". Should the courier ask questions, the man would simply drank down his ale and whispered, "No questions," before exiting the tavern.
Radiant
Sailor Radiant

Words: 781936
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2013, 1:39 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Xira Hezmek on February 5th, 2014, 6:24 am

Things were looking up for Xira. A rocky start, but he figured he was making for a first rate courier. He smiled and listened to the bard go into a length tale of times before the Valterrian. Of the marvels of one country and the great wars between them and the other country. They were great. Romance, intrigue, battles, all of the best stories. The bard was a good one, he hoped they would keep him around.

He looked over at a fellow patron taking a seat next to him. There was nothing all that remarkable about the man. Everything was fairly average, one of those faces that you felt like you knew but was obviously a stranger. He turned his gaze back to the bard when the stranger spoke his request. Xira was flattered to be considered reliable. It meant that his hard work was paying off. But 100 gold? Goodness. His interest was definitely piqued; he could use the money. He turned back to the stranger who stared straight ahead while he spoke.

"I'm listening." He simply stated and had a small bottle passed to him. Xira peered into the glass, some sort of philter or medicine probably. It really didn't matter what it was; he would do the best that he could do his job but that didn't stop him pondering about it as he slipped it into a pocket. He then listened to the common man's directions. Good, this meant he didn't have to track down his "mark", not that he minded searching for people to take a delivery. The only problem was that he normally took the money upfront, or at least half up front. It was never this much, but he suppose he could make an exception.

He nodded to the man, "And if she isn't there? Where can I find her?" But the man's response made him frown. "No questions" he had whispered and left. Xira felt somewhat indignant at that. Those were perfectly legitimate, perfectly reasonable to ask but what was he going to do? Chase down the man? Interrogate a paying customer? No, he would do his job. He would find this Ursula in the Illythian District, providing he didn't get lost, and come out 100 Mizas richer.

Still... The man's reactions were kind of off. Xira felt kind of uneasy all of a sudden. He pulled at the bottle and let the yellow tinged liquid slosh a bit. He hadn't seen anything quite like it, but then again he wasn't a herbalist or philterer. He was just a messenger and he had a package to deliver. He nodded to himself and paid his tab and the tab of his customer before heading out.

The evening was dark, cold and dry. Merry-making was loud and obnoxious from the tavern he just left. Perhaps it was better this way, he would go do this job, get to bed and be up real early in the morning to see if there were any requests for his services around the shops or taverns. He headed into the castle, the traffic much more subdued now that it was evening. So naturally A few uneventful moment later he found himself at an unassuming door in the Illythian District. Two metal numbers were bound into the door, a two followed by a three. It had to be the place. He was kind of amazed, he was only a few moments away from getting another job done. A lucrative one at that. He knocked at the door and waited.
Dear Graders: I collect location lore!
Xira Hezmek
Here's the mail it never fails.

Words: 227264
Joined roleplay: November 29th, 2013, 9:38 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Radiant on February 6th, 2014, 7:03 am

The courier accepted, of course he would, a hundred gold miza for a delivery job was too sweet to pass up, the brown-haired man left the tavern without another word.

Next evening, Xira would find no answer coming from the door for a few ticks, but then, if he listened closely, he could hear some sort of scuffling and murmurs behind the intricate wooden door, before it slowly opened up, revealing a young human woman with light blonde hair, deep green eyes, and pale skin tone. The woman was wearing an expensive-looking dress, marking her as one of the wealthy. It was common as the Illythian District was where the wealthy and rich lived, evident by its clean environment and lavish apartments. "Yes?" The woman asked, "Who are you?"
Radiant
Sailor Radiant

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Xira Hezmek on February 9th, 2014, 9:26 am

If there was anything that a man of his profession would need the most it would be patience. Patience to find his quarry, patience to get there, patience to get paid, patience to deal with the irrational behavior of happy or upset clients. So when Xira had to wait at the door of the apartment, he was all the more happy to do so. The time felt like an eternity, but at least he would give this Ursula time to react to his presence. Besides, for all he knew she was asleep or doing something that needed time to break away from.

The woman, whom he presumed was his quarry, was an excellent specimen of the "fairer sex". Augmented by an expensive dress and her clean, unblemished skin, she was beautiful. But he was here to work, not to oogle so he focused on her words rather than her appearance.

Xira frowned deeply. Wasn't he expected? If she was the one to receive and pay for the package, this philter, then why did she looked so confused. No matter. He put on the mask he usually used with a customer, pleasant, friendly composure, and bowed deeply. "Greetings M'lady my name is Xira Hezmek. I come in search of a young lady by the name of Ursula. Do you happen to know where I might find this woman?" He used his words and formality to mask his confusion. Better to appear in control than to look a fool.
Xira Hezmek

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Radiant on February 9th, 2014, 4:50 pm

The young lady seemed timid at first glance, concealing half of her body behind the door, but she was trying to act as noble as possible, especially to a stranger. The woman gave Xira a small smile as he introduced himself, but she didn't return his introduction, her name still a mystery to the man.

A maid approached from behind the young woman, she whispered something, which was replied by a nod by the lady, then the servant retreated back into the apartment.

As he requested to meet 'Ursula', his supposed recipient, the young woman's eyes widened slightly then she was silent for a few ticks as if contemplating something. She slowly opened the door thoroughly, giving Xira a glimpse of the lavish apartment behind her form, "What do you want, Sir Xira?" She suddenly asked, deliberately not confirming whether she was indeed Ursula or not.
Radiant
Sailor Radiant

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Xira Hezmek on February 11th, 2014, 3:28 am

Xira stifled a yawn while in the company of the newcomer, it was getting late. He hoped to get this easy delivery done quickly so he could get some sleep. He was already thinking about using the money to get a horse, maybe even see about getting a job to Zeltiva or Kenash. He would like to travel the world soon. His feet were itching practically.

He presumed this woman was the one he was looking for. A dangerous game, to gamble with assumptions, but one he took nevertheless. She was older, more in control of herself then the other woman. Probably not one to be trifled with. His eyes locked to hers as he smiled genially. "I come bearing a delivery. I was told to look for an Ursula at this address and that she would be able to pay for said delivery.”

The young man was beginning to doubt himself. The entire situation was... off. A man who he never thought to ask for his name, who didn't pay up front for a delivery to someone who apparently had no clue what was goin on. But what choice did he have at this point? He had accepted the job and now he needed to follow through, for better or for worse. With this in mind he produced the bottle and showed it to her, “Here is the object in question” Xira gave it a little shake, “Although it isn't my place to ask, what sort of philter is this?”
Xira Hezmek

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Radiant on February 11th, 2014, 10:04 am

The young woman squinted her eyes in suspicion when Xira explained his purpose, she didn't look like she was expecting the man at all, Xir's presence was greeted with unexplained caution. She stood by her doorstep, observing the man's every move, "Delivery? I see... and what manner of goods do you deliver? How much pay were you promised?" Her question sounded interrogating.

When the courier brought out the small bottle, the woman became even more guarded, she stared at him in silence, then suddenly gesturing for someone. From inside the apartment, a tall man with shaven hair, coal black eyes, wide shoulders, wearing leather armor, and a sword on his hip, appeared; he looked like the guard of this particular household. The woman whispered something to the guard, then he gave Xira a glare.

He then approached the courier, handing out his right hand in a demanding manner, "Give me that bottle," he said simply, "And get lost".
Radiant
Sailor Radiant

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Xira Hezmek on February 14th, 2014, 4:10 am

The appearance of a guard startled the young man. He did not like where this was going. He tucked the bottle back into his pocket. He gave the guard a scornful look, "Or what, are you going to assault and rob me?" He addressed the maiden, ""I believe I deserve an explanation for this incredible rudeness. Of all the things to expect from the wealthy, outright robbery was the last I expected from someone such as yourself." He was exaggerating for effect of course, but if he didn't get paid for his services it was robbery.

Xira crossed his arms and frowned at the two in front of him. Why did everything have to be so difficult. Truthfully, he had only worked with the nobles and wealthy on one occasion, but at the time they were so friendly and professional. Was this to be the norm? His eyes moved from the tough looking guard to the maiden. Maybe he should start get into a habit of carrying his sword in the city from now on. If everything he touched was to become a target of muggings, assaults and thievery, he better protect himself and his client's property.

Inevitably his mind turned to the worst case possible. If he did not make his delivery then he would have to track down his employer to return his bottle. A courier did not steal from his clients. Bad for business.
Xira Hezmek

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Radiant on February 14th, 2014, 5:54 pm

The guard visibly glowered at him further for daring to disobey his command, he clenched his right fist and was about to grab Xira's collar, but immediately stopped when the woman called out for him, telling him to return. With an angry huff, the tall man left Xira alone and stomped back into the apartment. Now, only the young lady and courier was left by the doorstep, she walked closer to the man, her green eyes still guarded, but she seemed confident Xira would not attack her, it would be an utterly foolish thing to do.

"No, Sir, I'm offended you envision such uncouth actions," Her tone was smooth, her vocabulary marked her as one of those 'snobbish' rich people, the courier had guts, she could give him that. He demanded explanations from her, undeterred by social standings, usually simple couriers would back off. The young woman couldn't explain further if she stayed obscure so she decided to reveal more about herself, "To be honest, Sir, I am not this 'Ursula' you speak of, but I know her, and I know that we are not expecting any delivery... or so it seemed until you arrived," The young woman then slightly raised the hem of her dress, giving Xira a curtsy, "I am Mina Grenfell, wife of Sir Grenfell".

The young woman examined the bottle held in his hand, "I see you are curious, I can also tell you, Sir, that I am curious as well, about the content of your item," she gestured for the yellowish liquid, then she turned around, "Very well, let's find out together, shall we?" She motioned for him to enter the apartment together. If the man followed her, he would find himself in a lavish abode, red carpet, paintings, and high-quality ornate furnitures, they would first arrive in the living room, there was a table surrounded by four chairs. A maid would welcome them, politely offering Xira a seat, while Mina gestured for the maid to bring them some tea.

She sat on a chair, turning her eyes to Xira, "If I may, please let me examine the bottle," she motioned her right hand to accept it, rather politely this time.
Radiant
Sailor Radiant

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Xira Hezmek on February 15th, 2014, 6:21 am

Muscles and tendons relaxed as sense of danger went away. The young courier hadn't realized he tensed up. He kept his face neutral as the guard glowered at him, leaving back into the apartment. Glad as he was to not have to deal with violence, he had no intention on antagonizing the man further. He didn't even find any pleasure in the act; that he got his way. He only felt relief that he wasn't going to get another black eye. He rolled his shoulders a bit and then bowed low to the lady Grenfell. "A pleasure M'lady. I meant no disrespect of course, I have been accosted before on delivery; I work hard to maintain my word and my honor on the job."

Xira followed behind the Lady Grenfell, admiring the refined tastes of his host. The bottle was back in his hand, no longer concerned with it being stolen, and he looked at it hard. What had he gotten himself into? He looked up and smiled to the servant that offered him the seat. He settled himself down straight backed and proper then looked about the room. The room was beautiful, paintings that depicted the ubiquitous Windoak and another one depicting a landscape of the Syliras city before the city was founded, a pale feminine figure and two males in the distance, just barely discernable. The furniture was opulent and ornate, enough carved detail and color to display their owner's wealth but not so much that it was gaudy and over the top.

He snapped his attention back to his host. "Of course M'lady." He said just as politely. "And to answer your previous question, I was told this: 'Go to the apartment, find the woman named Ursula, give the bottle, she'll give you the gold. One hundred gold mizas'" He paraphrased it a bit as he handed the bottle to Mina but it was the most pertinent information. "I take it he gave me the wrong information." He looked around pointedly, assuming the apartment was Mina's. He marked the location of the guard and inclined his head respectfully, a man just doing his job to protect his charge.

His gaze returned to her, blue eyes locked to her green eyes, studying the woman. It occurred to him that the bottle could very well be poison, but where did it put him in all this. A poison isn't supposed to announce itself at the door of the target, if the target was this Ursula. Unless of course this noble woman or Ursula were deal in a darker business. But that seemed silly. What could possibly be going on? Perhaps Mina could shed some light on the situation.
Xira Hezmek

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Next