Closed A Task for Crimson Hands (Noven)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

A Task for Crimson Hands (Noven)

Postby Wrenmae on February 7th, 2014, 8:32 pm

49 Winter 513

It was the work of a single silver miza to call upon Noven. The trick with feeding a messenger was knowing the kind of food to tempt them with. In better cities like Ravok and Syliras, that meant a rim of gold...but in Sunberth, silver would do just as fine so long as you ran the risk of that message being told to anyone else with ears.

Wren leaned against one of the shanties at the edge of town, his breath steaming from his nose and mouth and up into the cold Sunberth sky. He hadn't worn his wide brimmed hat today, not in the mood to be pursued by killers or recruits for what he had in mind. Fallon's report on the two of them, Noven and Senghor required some mediation from the hypnotist and he had chosen to act without direct consultation.

By now Noven should be on his way, called from wherever he lurked by a bright eyed boy with a message. The Man of the Scars wanted to see him.

It should be enough to bring him out here.

Wren hadn't yet decided if he would unveil himself as the Hound who had cast down the Red Hand. Honestly it suited him better to be an instrument of the Hound and not the fiend himself. Distance meant that the Hound was a non-person, a title to be claimed or feigned, attached to an idea rather than a thing of blood and flesh. Maybe he'd call them all the Hound, and certainly that man, made of an organization, would be a true thorn in the Daggerhands...or perhaps the end of their favored weapon, pushing deeply into the circle they had so conveniently tattooed on their chest.

In his hand he held Zan, tossing him from palm to palm. The familiar had been quiet while they were in Sunberth, toiling away at some interior turmoil he had not yet vented. Wren refused to disturb the Sarawanki...given its disposition to simply saying without reflection, the silence suggested it was learning...moreso that it was reasoning.

And even with the dangers that might bring, Wren far preferred it that way.

Scuffing his boot against the cobblestone, kicking at the ice, he drew the cloak farther around himself and hoped dearly that the biting wind would finally cease its blowing.

That he would be given a measure of peace.

Or that Noven would hurry up.

Common
Thought
"Speech"
Zan

Sig by Shausha

This PC has the Blight gnosis. As such, you as a player need to be aware of what that consists of. Wrenmae has an invisible aura that amplifies sickness and disease. Wounds may become infected, small sneezes may become coughing, and a slight fever may become more serious. A nuit's body will also break down faster in the presence of the Blight. These effects may not be immediate, but within the few days following your encounter, the symptoms will manifest. Some sooner than others. I cannot control your character, so creativity will be left up to you. Best wishes and stay healthy!

Special shoutout to Fallon for my new CS
Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Words: 1276299
Joined roleplay: April 15th, 2011, 6:34 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Noven on February 8th, 2014, 2:32 am

Noven limped out of Happy Endings with a misanthropic scowl so scathing it might have made Garret Sawyer, World's Most Crotchety Old Merc, proud. Before him led a messenger boy too clean to be a street urchin and too wily to be a Sunset orphan. The cook wondered how he had snuck into the brothel to deliver this unexpected inconvenience. Kitchen staff, perhaps. Or courtesy of his whorish mother. Either way, it didn't matter. Because they were here now, out in the frigid cold, walking--limping--towards one form of trouble or another.

It had been a much needed holiday, lying on the tender lap of Isme as her gentle hands held towel-wrapped chunks of ice against his infinite cuts and bruises. The girl had been off put, at first, with playing nurse in earnest. But he swayed her in the end, with double the coin and a promise to visit again later when he felt more man and less pulverized poultry.

A fight was nothing to be crying about, to be sure. But the madness of the day before resulted from no ordinary tavern brawl. Seng had been in a bad enough mood as it was; running into the debtors who burned down his family's estate could not have happened with worse timing.

So when the little shrew had showed up, poking his head out from a trap door in Isme's room instead of knocking like any decent human being would, Nov lost his temper and all but tossed the boy down the first set of stairs he could find. Isme leaped from her bed and clutched at his torso the entire time, begging him not to do harm to this innocent messenger. The kid, on the other hand, hardly batted an eyelash. He help up his hands to the infuriated mercenary and reasoned, "Before you chuck me out of here, Sir, I just got one message: The Man of the Scars wants to see you."

Petching hell. "You're lucky, kid," he seethed, "that I don't feel like making a mess in front of your mother."

Isme didn't say a word as the two of them left Happy Endings together, only stared after them with hardened, weary eyes. If he had been anyone other than who he was, she would have considered it a lost cause. But he worked in the orphanage--everyone knew that--and therefore was less likely to rat her out. He took care of Tinny's girl well enough. Perhaps he would allow their secret to continue on.

Five chimes later, Nov could have cared less about whores and their whoresons. His wounds stung more than ever in the icy air, and his bruises protested every step he took towards this thrice blasted representative of the Hound. The quicker he got this over with, the sooner he could go back to the bliss of not moving.

It took longer than expected, given his less than ideal condition. But eventually the boy held up a finger to point down the cobbled streets at a figure huddled in its cloak. Then, he held out his hand.

"You've got nerve, runt," Nov half growled, half grinned.

"The man said you would pay me once I showed you the way." He was good. Didn't even miss a beat.

The cook knew full well this cunning little petcher had been paid already. He slapped down a silver anyway, much to the boy's delight. Nov waved him and his stilted thank you's away before approaching the Man of the Scars with stiff limbs and a stiffer lip.

He stopped in front of the cloaked man, hands stuffed in his coat pockets and eyes surlier than ever.

"Wudya want, Scarman."

Noven
Taste my fist

Words: 816073
Joined roleplay: December 16th, 2013, 11:11 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Avarice on September 25th, 2014, 8:45 pm

Succumb to Your Desires
Noven :
Loot:
  • -1 sm
Lores:
  • Isme: Will Play Nurse if the Price is Right
  • The Messenger Boy: Son of Isme
  • Man of the Scars: An Interruption to My Attempted Rest

Wrenmae :
Due to your retirement, I have withheld the XP for this thread. Should your return, simply shoot me a PM and I'll happily dole out your hard-earned experience for this thread.

Comments :
There wasn't much I could do with this one. Regardless, if you have any questions or concerns about this grade, please do not hesitate to shoot me a PM. Furthermore, please edit your post in the request thread to reflect your having received a grade. Thank you! :D
Avarice
Twister's Avaricious Minion; AS of Sunberth

Words: 128126
Joined roleplay: September 18th, 2014, 3:12 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)