Solo Commitment to the Body

Self-discipline is the way to transcendence.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Commitment to the Body

Postby Venser Rush on February 12th, 2014, 9:03 am

82nd Winter, 513 A.V.

Weakness. As the season came to a close, Venser had begun to reach the conclusion that in his seclusion in the city of Ravok, in his obsession with the craft of Zapatl and his philosophies of Transformation, he was slowly poisoning himself with the complacency that came with weakness. He had broken his ribs earlier in the season simply due to the fact that he was weak. Despite his knowledge of the manipulation of djed, he was allowing himself to remain... weak. Disgusting. Complacency was the chain that led to stagnation, and stagnation led to the damnation of the mind, body and soul. I will not let myself fade away. I will not allow myself to die while a pulse still beats in this body. No... Strength is what I need.

In more ways than one.

Just as the body required attention to musculature in order to nourish and grow, the soul did, as well. Djed's manipulation required to be trained, just as the muscles did. And Venser was going to do both.
To kill two birds with one stone, so to speak.The sun had long descended from pitch-black sky, the rising moon illuminating the Docks in its ivory splendor, the dead night allowing the Fluxist a sense of privacy that simply did not exist in the city. It was here that he decided that he would begin the building of the physical form, the strengthening of body and soul of paramount importance. One must not only transform mentally through the workings of the world, but physically, emotionally, and spiritually through personal effort and desire.

The wooden walkways of the pier were damp, the cold piercing through the man's body. He had chosen to remove his shirt during the effort, knowing that sweat would dampen and render the garment useless as he returned home in the cool winds of night. Ravok was blessed, for whatever reason, with a perfectly hospitable climate, but that made the cold, weak as it may be, all the more uncomfortable.
Then do something about it, jackass. You're here for a reason, so get started. Venser nodded, resolution clear within his crystalline eyes as he pushed away from the wooden poles and rope that prevented one from falling straight-away into the waters of the lake. He turned around, his arms bent and raised to shoulder level as he simply... allowed himself to fall forward to the ground.

His palms opened his his body free fell, the young man tightening the thin musculature of his pectorals as hands were dealt the brunt of the impact with the ground. Immediately, the Fluxist felt the burn on his triceps, eyes opening wide and muscles screaming their agony as the resistance tormented the fibers. He persevered against the pain, controlling it, siphoning it into his own self-motivation.
So weak that you can't even withstand an impact, Venser? How do you expect to continue on? the Flux is DANGEROUS. You have to be strong to withstand it. Persevere or DIE...

NO! He refused to allow himself to fade in the wake of the slightest of obstacles, the Rush twin pushing his body upwards with his arms, his chest searing, then the sensation fading as the effort transitioned from pectoral muscles and into the triceps. Success. There was little satisfaction in the motion, seeing as it should have been easy, yet Venser knew his physical strength to be undeveloped. He had been raised apart from that sort of encouragement, and had never actively pursued it himself.

The Rush twin repeated the cyclic motion of compressing his pectorals and then triceps, finishing a slow set of ten 'push-ups'. In the course of the action, blood had rushed to his skull, his face red with exertion, physical strain forcing lactic acid through the affected muscles, slowing his movements.
The physical body withstands little. But I am not limited to just what the body can accomplish on its own...

The next trial was as difficult as the first, the body held in its suspension as Venser's eyes closed again. He envisioned the sensation of the pathways in his arms opening, the man sucking in a deep breath as he forced the djed from the soul itself and into the limbs. His legs, as a result, felt slightly weaker, but he was not using them. It mattered little to him, and the Fluxist did his utmost to limit the movement of djed pulling as little as possible to prevent the horrors of overgiving, a sensation he was... intimately familiar with.

Power. He felt the strength return to his limbs, his features slowly turning to a grin as his eyes flew open again, Venser pulling himself close to the ground before pushing forward with all of his might. The burst pushed him upwards, several feet separating his chest and the ground, giving the young man just enough time to stretch his right leg forward. Essentially, Venser had brought himself from being on his stomach to a kneeling posture in a shaky motion.

It's understandable. One does not push themselves to a standing position from the ground without... practice... I did my best, at the very least.

The Fluxist arranged himself into a seated, cross-legged position, allowing himself a moment of rest and meditation before moving on to the next sequence.

Last edited by Venser Rush on April 12th, 2014, 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Venser Rush
Seeker of the Angst

Words: 350153
Joined roleplay: December 8th, 2013, 9:06 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Commitment to the Body pt. I

Postby Venser Rush on February 12th, 2014, 10:57 am

Sitting cross-legged was by far the most balanced posture, to be sure. It placed little stress on the body, with the exception of the knees, but to sit with legs strung out was simply... uncivilized. The Fluxist shook his head, scoffing at the idea before allowing his mind to focus on the task at hand. To meditate upon the Flux was not to clear one's mind and reach inner peace and tranquility. Nor was it the vicious brutality of a warrior. No, to become a master of the movement of the body's djed within the body itself was to find the balance between the warrior and the monk.

It was the pursuit of the middle-ground in theory, but there was no mistake that the application of it was nothing short of destructive. The Flux was a brutalizing force to be reckoned with, and a dangerous ally to have. The power it granted felt... good. Fantastic... Glorious. But, that very same power could just as easily kill the caster if they did not exercise caution. If they did not learn to handle the power, it would inevitably destroy them.

This was the Fluxist's task this day. Self-discipline was the force that would guide him to victory over the skeletons in his past, the hatred of a dead father, the doubts regarding his own ability, the hatred of his own weakness. He had to conquer it and in effect, conquer himself in order to hope to survive the dangers of the very magic he wished to control. Venser's eyes were closed, the young man again envisioning the movement of the djed through the body, envisioning it within the body's cells, forming them, strengthening them... being them. Living beings...
No... Everything is djed. The living are conduits of Djed. We can use it, but everything is djed. It is the spine. The backbone. The origin.

Thoughts interrupted the workings of his imagination, Venser's hands placing themselves upon the fabric of his trousers as he imagined the movement of the djed. It was easier, for some reason, when he knew that his upper body was bare. Sweat permeated upon his brow, the last of the adrenaline stilling in his body, his heart rate having returned to normal in his time of inactivity, but he cared little for this. The stillness was not to last for long.

Venser imagined the pathways as tiny points in the body, conduits for the movement of djed within the body, located in the nervous system, where he was led to believe that djed traveled from. The concept raised questions about the soul and how this worked at a meta-physical level, but it was unimportant in the scheme of the moment. Instead, he imagined the pores, as they could be compared to, opening in his body, centralized at the arms, where the use of the Flux was, at least for Venser in his limited experience, gathered most. Pathways opened, the djed flowed freely through the limbs, dulling the perception of pain as the magic invaded his arms for the second time.

The muscles felt... alive again, flooded with power that he had not allowed into it the first time. He was going to push the limitations of his capacity to implement the Flux without overgiving to the degree he had before. In a moment of self-reflection and safety, Venser assumed, and rightfully so, that he could push himself further without the severe, present danger of lacking control in the midst of a fight. Venser's fingers raked along the surface of the wooden floor of the dock, nails carving through the dampened wood, thick, but shallow wounds left within the face of the wood before the Fluxist reached for one of the nearby ropes suspended within the wooden beams. He clutched at it for a moment, giving it a tug. The motion shook the beam ever so slightly, Venser having almost forgotten the flood of djed in his arm. The man chuckled for a moment before he reached at the clip of his belt, undoing a clasp and producing a single one of his punch daggers.

Rarely used and almost neglected, the daggers were meant to be a lethal extension of the Flux should the need to use them arise, but... in Ravok, to kill was to be sucked into the Black Hole, and this was a fate he never wished to experience. Rather, he settled disputes with fists or words, at times, both. The dagger was no more than three inches long, a steel grip that accommodated his entire hand present. Small, thin straps of leather were present on the grip, meant to both keep the grip from being uncomfortable in the cold and to keep the handling of the weapon rather smooth. The young man grinned, slipping his fingers between the loops for his fingers in the grip before taking aim.

Where the rope met the hole in the wood... it was his target. For some reason, he felt compelled to do it, perhaps a half-formed plan stirring in his thoughts, but,
Hell, why not?

Shunk.

Venser's djed-empowered arm drove the blade forward, the speed of the motion tearing violently through the rope, the entirety of the blade's three inches penetrating the wooden shaft of the beam and lodging itself within as the rope fell limp to the wooden planks of the docks, falling over the edge and suspending itself with the other support beams as Venser tilted his head in curiosity. He had perhaps used too much force... the blade was stuck. The Fluxist shook his head in tragic disappointment, and would have to reach for his other blade in order to rip it out of the wood... To simply pull it out was both unsafe and likely destructive in nature, as his Flux-augmented motions would likely pull the dagger out forcefully and brutally.
No reason to risk myself for a dagger. I'll do this the smarter way.

Last edited by Venser Rush on February 18th, 2014, 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Venser Rush
Seeker of the Angst

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Commitment to the Body pt. I

Postby Venser Rush on February 17th, 2014, 10:15 pm

The dagger had completely punctured the wood, leaving the Fluxist with only one choice. He needed to slowly remove it rather than ripping it out. And to do that, he required his limbs to lose strength. The Flux was not meant for extended, focused effort. It was, by its very nature, explosive and fast. Eyes closed, leaving Venser to imagine the placement of the djed in his body, willing it to seep from his arm and re-distribute to the other limbs. His legs were limp in their cross-legged position, having fallen asleep in their time of stillness.

Venser focused within, envisioning his arms as containers beginning to overflow with the djed held within, and in that, there was a danger. If he lost focus, the limbs could begin to seize up, or at the worst case scenario, even implode, effectively crippling the blonde and leaving him with nothing but a life of misery. He pulled the djed with his mind, directing the flow into his shoulders, then downwards along the length of his body. His back muscles rippled with the surge for a moment, twitching before he trailed the djed into his spine. The movement became easier at this point, faster... A deep breath filled his lungs as he willed the djed lower, willing it to flow from the central nerves of his spine to what the books had explained were called 'peripheral' nerves, which directed djed from the soul into the limbs.

Once in the peripheral nerves, Venser allowed the Flux to disperse evenly within the peripheral nerves, strength returning to his limp legs. The process took a total of thirty ticks, far too long for any sort of combat usage, but it, at the least, prevented overgiving from destroying him. Even with this procedure, the blonde felt soreness fill his arms, and a wince materialized on his features before it faded entirely. A grin replaced the wince, and a soft laugh sounded from exasperated lips as satisfaction welled in his mind.
Definitely a slow process... Too slow to focus upon in the wake of combat... But time and practice will allow me to improve the speed of the Transference. Perhaps, in the future, I will learn how to make the process nearly instantaneous. It must be possible.

Once the djed in his body was dispersed properly, Venser opened his eyes, allowing his gaze to fixate itself upon the punch dagger. The puncture had created cracks in the wood, the wound within the wood more of an open gash from the force of the Flux driven stab. To a human, the stab would have been far more destructive, as the flesh of a man was not blessed with the hardness of wood. Fingers looped through the holes in the punch dagger's grip once as his free hand gripped his own wrist. Slowly, he jerked the dagger's blade to each side, the puncture growing wider as a result. The cracks grew, an almost spider-like design woven into the wooden surface as he continued to jerk the blade side to side. After a number of chimes, the dagger was about half way out of the wood, and Venser clenched his fist. He then pulled on the dagger with force, the wood at last loosed its grip on the steel blade. The blonde stowed the dagger, replacing it upon its clip, a laugh escaping him.

Easier than I thought it'd be... Good thing I didn't just rip it out. I could have been hurt in the process. Anyway, I'll take a break and proceed to the next thing in a few chimes. Haste makes waste.

Venser Rush
Seeker of the Angst

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Commitment to the Body

Postby Catastrophe on May 5th, 2014, 12:37 am

Venser Rush :
Skills

• Flux: 3 XP
  • Bodybuilding: 1 XP
  • Observation: 2 XP
  • Meditation: 1 XP
  • Weapon: Punch Dagger: 1 XP

Lores

• Training: Mind, Body & Soul
  • The Difficulty in Attaining a Proper "Push-up"
  • Understanding the Risks of Pushing one Past their Limits
  • Flux Theory: Finding Balance between Warrior & Monk

Loot

• N/A

Notes :
This was a nice thread, Venser! I admired the way you described him working his arm muscles and succeeding in doing a push-up. It's not always easy! I also liked reading the way you detailed his ability of flux. That was very well written.

If you have any questions or concerns about your grade, PM me!
Catastrophe
I'm Your Biggest Nightmare!

Words: 112948
Joined roleplay: March 25th, 2014, 10:42 pm
Race: Staff account
Office