Solo [Windmount Stables] Say Neigh

Hello horsey.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Windmount Stables] Say Neigh

Postby Wanda Endust on March 12th, 2014, 3:25 am

4 Spring 514 AV
11th Bell

Wanda had passed by the Windmount district and innumerable amount of times in her relatively short life, yet she knew little about it besides the fact that it absolutely reeked of horses. Presumably other wildlife too, but most notably horses.

Of course, Wanda never had much need for horses before now. Animals had never been her forte to begin with, no matter how much she'd tried. Oh, she got on with kelvics just fine, probably because there was actually a means to communicate with them. Language was a wonderful thing, but only if Wanda knew it. And she did not know how to communicate with animals.

Nevertheless, Wanda found that she was enjoying herself as she flounced through the fields. It didn't actually stink much worse than the rest of the city, after all, and the field was big enough that it wasn't all conglomerated in one dense area. A warm breeze had somehow wriggled its way over the citadel walls and Syna cast a warm glow on Wanda's skin.

It was peaceful as the blonde teen wound her way to the stables, a solid-looking brick building that wasn't ugly but did jut out sharply against the rest of the landscape.

As she walked, her mind drifted to the conversation she'd had with the leader of the to-be caravan. Was is proper to refer to him as the leader? Hadn't he -- Mr. Page -- referred to himself as such? Wanda couldn't remember, and it didn't matter. Instead, she focused on the important bits of things he'd said. Nyka was to the North and East. Sixty or seventy days. What would the weather be like there? What kinds of clothes would she need to buy? These were the kinds of questions she had needed to ask yesterday, and Wanda gave herself a mental kick for not doing so.

This whole deal -- it was just so overwhelming. How many days had it been? Not even fifteen. Not even fifteen days since her mother had passed away, and she felt as if those last words were haunting her. She kept the journal under her pillow, and most nights it felt as if the book, the page, the ink was burning a hole in the fabric. It was heavy as it weighed on her mind, and now she understood why the miners always seemed a little agitated, lugging around burdens every day.

Those were physical burdens though, Wanda noted. The miners could put them down and make their way down to the Rearing Stallion to wash their aches in ale at the end of the day. Theoretically, Wanda could wash her worries away like that too, but he the very task her mother had loaded her with was the same thing that kept Wanda from it.

She never thought that the idea of simply living would bother her so much, but it did. It made her so extremely self-conscious about everything she did. Somehow, that one little notion had wound its way into everything she did.
Wanda Endust
Searching for purpose.

Words: 178647
Joined roleplay: May 18th, 2013, 6:10 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Artist (1)

Postby Wanda Endust on March 17th, 2014, 12:22 am

With every choice she'd made over the past days, all Wanda could think was Is this what I want? Is this what I really want? And, of course, she had no idea. All she could do was go with what seventeen years of guts told her. At every turn, she had to remind herself that the easiest choice was not always the best choice.

In honesty, the only decision she made on her own so far that she felt an absolute conviction for was her decision to leave. Even then, the nagging sensation of Reason was there to argue against it.

But she had to remind herself that it was best for herself. She couldn't worry about the Soothing Waters and whether or not they'd be able to find a replacement for her. She couldn't worry about her friends. All she could let herself worry about right now was herself. That was a new sensation too -- thinking only of herself. It was refreshing. Liberating. And a part of Wanda wondered why she'd never let herself be so selfish before.

A small grin was beginning at the corners of her mouth when a light voice interrupted the still Spring air.

"Anything I can help you with?" Oh, right -- Wanda was here to buy a horse.

Her mind had wandered so far within the last couple chimes that Wanda had made it a clear ten feet from the happy brick structure without her even noticing. Perhaps if the woman hadn't spoken up when she did, the blonde would have found herself walking straight into the wall. As it were, she turned to face the voice and found a pretty woman facing her, wearing an inquisitive smile.

Wanda returned the friendly gesture, almost giggling to herself as she assessed the woman. She was pretty, yes, but in a way that also almost reminded Wanda of a horse. Wavy brown hair spilled over shoulders that seemed both delicate and used to work, and large eyes wore a questioning look.

That same look drew Wanda back from what almost turned into yet another reverie. Now, fully aware once more, she noticed a good handful of young workers and stable hands milling about.

"Ah, yeah, hiya!" Wanda began, turning her body to face the woman as she spoke and folding her arms across her chest. "I'm here to buy a horse." It was a solid statement, and with it came the sensation that Wanda was sealing her fate. Up to this point, Wanda had the option to just turn back, to forget anything about Eterous Page and his caravan and Nyka and supplies and horses and leaving. Now, she was faced with the reality. As soon as she had a horse, she was practically gone.

The woman gave a short laugh and stepped her way towards the younger girl. "I might've figured that much -- you don't particularly look like the type to come around looking for a job here."

Wanda wasn't sure what that was supposed to mean, but she took it as a sort of compliment after glimpsing the ragged-looking and dust-covered stable hands.
Wanda Endust
Searching for purpose.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1)

Postby Wanda Endust on March 17th, 2014, 9:59 pm

Wanda laughed, sensing the humor in the woman's words. "Well, y' never know. I might just decide I like it here enough to stay," she countered jovially, uncrossing her arms and lacing her hands behind her back. The woman shrugged, and continued. "I suppose so. But until then, any horse you were looking for in particular?"

Now it was Wanda's turn to shrug. Were there different kinds of horses? Maybe ones better suited for travel than others? Would they cost more? "Not really. I'm planning on leaving in a few days -- to Nyka, if you happen to know anything about the place. It's around a sixty day travel, I heard."

The woman brought a hand to her chin in a moment of thought. "You'll need a riding horse then -- let's see if we can up some lucky fellow or lady for you." With that, she motioned with her arm, leading Wanda over to the other end of the building. As they made their way along the wall, shoes crunching against the dirt, Wanda noticed the square windows craftily fashioned into the brick. Some were closed, but the majority were open, and through them she could catch glimpses of various steeds before having to move on.

So many different colors, such a variety, Wanda had no clue where she would have to begin. But the stable-woman did. "We'll start with good ol' Koulack here and make our way 'round until I can get a good feel for what will work best for you," she explained. Koulack's window was one of the few that had been closed, and as the woman's hand worked at the knob it suddenly flung open seemingly on its own accord. A black muzzle shot out into the daylight. It was an impossibly dark shade of fur, yet somehow managed to seem impossibly bright as it shone and reflected Syna's rays.

Wanda flinched backward, nearly having to cover her own eyes against the sudden blur of motion and heavy snorting. The other woman, though closer to the beast, didn't look the slightest bit affected but kept a watchful eye on the blonde as if gauging her response. "Eh, probably not Koulack then," she noted as Wanda reeled back a pace. Still she motioned for the girl to approach and, with an incredulous look, Wanda did.

Koulack gave and angry, heaving breath and bobbed his head unhappily as she stepped forward. You're not afraid, Wanda told herself as her gaze found the beast's midnight eyes. You're a human. It's a horse -- just a stupid horse. As if he knew what she was thinking, Koulack tossed his head with an indignant whine and pushed himself further out the window, nostrils flaring. Wanda shied away, taking a very voluntary step away from the window.

"Yeah, not Koulack," the woman concluded.
Wanda Endust
Searching for purpose.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1)

Postby Wanda Endust on March 17th, 2014, 10:44 pm

Stepping between the two, the woman placed a gentle hand on the stallion's snout as if he weren't in any kind of mood to bite off fingers. With that soothing touch, she urged him to withdraw into his stall and soundly secured the the window door once more.

"Guess that's why they keep it closed, huh?" Wanda offered with a nervous laugh. Really, that beast was certainly enough to deter her -- but surely not all horses were as aggravated as he? She wanted nothing more than to leave right now, before she really did end up getting too close to an angry beastie, but she had to keep going. No use in giving up after only the first try. Maybe after the third or fourth.

Wanda didn't have to worry about it though -- the horses in the next couple stalls were unnervingly calm compared to Koulack, but the woman (who had, by now, introduced herself as Serena Windmount) still didn't seem to feel they were quite the right fit for Wanda.

Now about half a bell and four horse visitations later, they stood leaning against the wall, facing each other as a handsome mare peeked her white snout out of the window between them. Serena stood scrutinizing the teen, while Wanda, for the most part, was beginning to feel slightly uncomfortable.

"And I'm right to assume you've never really ridden before?"

"Yeah. Never. Ever." Serena took that bit of information and rolled it around in her mind, mentally ticking horses off the list before launching into the next question, as they'd been doing for the past couple chimes.

"Do you have a budget?"

Wanda hesitated for a moment, considering. Did she? Oh goddess, she hadn't even bothered to check how much a horse would cost her before making her way to the stables. She still needed to account for any supplies she would need -- and she still had very little clue about what that could end up costing her.

Then again, she'd seen so many people wandering around with horses around Traveler's Row, she doubted they could be too expensive. It was probably only a matter of quality, as with all things...

"I don't guess so. I mean, how much does your most expensive cost?"

Serena looked amused as she answered, "The Nightwalkers, five hundred gold mizas -- but you met one of them already." She winked.

Huh? Nightwalker... Pitch black fur and angry grunts flashed through Wanda's mind in an instant. A snort escaped Wanda's own lips. "Eh, didn't seem like we really hit it off too well, don'cha think?" Wanda returned with her own breezy tone, having shaken off the encounter by now. "Anyhow, I guess that sounds like it would probably be the maximum I'd be able to pay. Probably. I'd like to not go over three hundred," she explained. Surely that would leave more than enough left over for supplies?

Serena chuckled a bit and nodded, regarding Wanda though narrow eyes for a moment. Then, finally and suddenly, her eyebrows shot up in realization. "Follow me -- I think I have just the fellow for you."
Last edited by Wanda Endust on March 18th, 2014, 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wanda Endust
Searching for purpose.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1)

Postby Wanda Endust on March 18th, 2014, 12:10 am

In an instant, Wanda found herself led before another closed window. Oh gods, she sighed inwardly. As far as she had been able to tell, there was a reason that some stalls were kept closed. But as Serena gingerly swung the wooden slab open, they were not greeted with heavy horse breath and nosy noses. Nothing was behind the window.

Not immediately anyway. Wanda could still hear the rustling of something through the hole in the wall. Unfortunately, she was really too short to peer straight into the room. So after a few more ticks of waiting, Wanda stepped forward, bracing her body against the wall and gripping the smooth wood edge of the window frame. It was a purely impulsive act, one based on Wanda's own impatient anticipation and Serena's seeming expectation. What kind of horse could it be that the other woman had so suddenly felt was perfect?

It hadn't quite crossed Wanda's mind to ask permission to peek, but Serena only looked on with an expectant smirk and said nothing in objection. So, slender shoulder muscles tensing, Wanda hoisted herself up to the window.

And was promptly knocked right back down as a flurry of gold and white brushed against her own face. Wanda's already unsteady grip slipped, and she came tumbling down into the dirt with a surprised yelp, landing flat on her rump first, then being knocked back onto her elbows from the downward momentum. An overly amused and self-satisfied whinny sounded from the window.

"Ahhh," Wanda breathed, running an exasperated hand across her face, then her sore backside as she peered upward against the light of the sun. Above her, the face of a mischievous-looking stallion glowed in the outline of Syna as it blocked the glaring light. It studied her, met her eye, and snickered once more as Wanda pulled herself to her feet. Serena laughed as well. "Suppose I should have warned you. This guy here is Yarvis."

That name. Having stricken a cord, Wanda couldn't bring herself to be angry or even embarrassed (And why would she be either? She was sure what had happened must've been quite a silly scene.), instead freezing. The lighthearted retort she had planned fell dead before it could even reach her lips. That name.

Yarvis, she repeated it to herself. There was a couple ticks' pause. Then, visibly shaking herself out of the reverie, Not Jarvis. Yarvis. Jarvis, of course, being the first name of her father, and he certainly wasn't a horse.

But still, that impishly intelligent look on the creature's face as he met her eye -- she had seen it before. Years ago.

"Yarvis huh?" She started, trying to shake the sensation from her mind with an affably cocked eyebrow as she patted the dust from her clothes and addressed the horse. "That wasn't really nice, 'yknow." She stuck her tongue out, and could've sworn he shrugged in response.

"He's a Gildling," Serena continued, stepping forward to stand beside the girl as she assessed the beast. "Used for riding. Glow in the dark, too, which I'm sure will be useful if you're traveling."

That sounded... expensive. There was another, more important (or far less important, depending on how you look at it) question jumping around in Wanda's mind, but she had to get a the real matters squared away first. "How much does he cost?"

"Just one hundred mizas, one of the least expensive fellows we have. Sturdy though. And a hoot."

That sounded like a bargain to her. The next couple chimes were spent discussing and settling the other items that were necessary when it came to horses -- blankets and hoods, saddles and bags, bridles, halters and lead ropes, as well as feed and renting stable space until the caravan departed. Mizas were exchanged and, finally, Wanda felt she could ask her question.

"So... do you know when he was born?"

Serena cocked an eyebrow, seeming a bit surprised and taken off guard at the question. "I believe..." she took a moment, calculating some kind of math in her head "...Winter 30th..."

Oh. Oh no. That couldn't possibly be it. That was the same day Wanda's father had passed away. That was exactly as she'd feared -- or perhaps it was as she'd hoped?

"...five-hundred nine." Ah, nope. One year off.

Of course. That would've been too much for her to handle right now.

LedgerHorse (Gildling) | -100gm
Blanket & Hood | –8gm
Saddle | –10gm
Bit & Bridle | –2gm
Saddlebags | -5gm
Halter & Lead | –1sm
Stabling (11 days) | -5gm 5sm
Total: -130gm 6sm
Wanda Endust
Searching for purpose.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1)

Postby Ball on March 24th, 2014, 1:36 pm

And the grades come rolling in.

Overall Comments
First off, I want to apoligize for such a late posting of your grade. Life got a hold of me pretty hard. I like the thread, well written and an enjoyable read =D

Any questions, please PM me.

Wanda Endust
Experience Points.
Observation+2
Socialization+1

Lores.
  • Nightwalkers: Hair Black as Bitch and Deep Grunts
  • Yarvis: Glow in the dark horse
  • Serena Windmount: Employee at Windmount Stables
  • Yarvis: not Jarvis, her dad.

Template Credit: Edric Wingard
Avatar CreditsMy lovely Avatar was drawn and created by the most awesome Nivel

Graders Please Note :
As Ball is getting closer and closer to maxing out Pyken as a skill, I would like to request that in places where Ball is not doing enough to constitute Pyken XP if Pyken technique lores could be issued instead.

Examples of proper XP level for Pyken would be: Ball developing or refining his technique by adding new thing against an actual moving target, not a dummy.

The use of basic skills alone are not enough to accomplish XP at Ball's current level of Pyken.

Thank you.

I will be handling all Ball related posts on Mondays @ 1800 my time *
Ball
Ser Ball -- Pycon Knight of Syliras

Words: 460478
Joined roleplay: January 31st, 2012, 4:52 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes