Mizahar's Sunday Bake-off: Cookie Edition!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to place any off topic chatter, thread games, etc here.

Postby Jilitse on September 19th, 2010, 3:14 am

Mizahar Sunday Bake-off Entry: Meringue Cookies!

I'm fond of cooking stuff that has five ingredients or less, that makes cooking less complicated most of the time. For this challenge, I chose to make Meringue Cookies, because I love the crisp icing-like goodness outside and the sweet, soft, airy texture inside. (Also, look at the recipe, it requires minimal effort from the baker!)

The recipe is as follows:
4 egg whites, room temperature
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

Heat oven to 250 degrees. Beat egg whites in small bowl until foamy. Add salt and cream of tartar; continue beating until soft peaks form. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition. When meringue is stiff you may drop spoonfuls into a waxed cookie sheet.

I chose to use a decorating bag to drop the meringue batter into towering swirls, but I think I overcooked them. Haha!!

They didn't taste burned, and they were in between fluffy and crunchy.
I. Vox Populi, Vox Dei
II. The Night the Watchtowers Cried

I am nothing special, of this I am sure. I am a common woman with common thoughts and I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but I've loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough.
Jilitse
I just arrived (again). Please be kind.

Words: 520837
Joined roleplay: March 5th, 2010, 8:22 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)
GP's Angels (1)

Postby Mao on September 19th, 2010, 8:39 am

I am too stupid to bake, but all these cookies make me want to go out and buy some and bake.

I might burn my dorm down though so maybe that's not a good idea.

Omnomnom

cookie monster.
Mao
Nyancat

Words: 151412
Joined roleplay: May 19th, 2010, 10:03 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Featured Character (1) Lore Author (1)
Artist (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Donor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)
GP's Angels (1)

Postby Malia on September 19th, 2010, 5:09 pm

Apple Cookies

They look quite flat and unassuming, like pancakes, but they taste good, so it's okay. Maybe I should bake more often. ^^;

Work process:

And the finished product:

Recipe :
Yes, I translated it for you guys!

Ingredients:
400g flour
200g sugar
200g butter
3 eggs
1 package vanilla sugar
1 package baking powder
some milk
5 apples
some cinnamon

Put everything together. Cut the apples into cubes (grating is faster though), dust them with cinnamon and add them to the rest. Put it in spoonfuls on the baking sheet. They should be in the oven for 40 minutes at 180 degree (Celsius!).
Malia
The Remnants

Words: 229208
Joined roleplay: August 20th, 2009, 5:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (18)
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (2)
Power Fork (1)

Postby Azilis Theroulde on September 19th, 2010, 11:58 pm

Okay...so I decided to take a stab at this even though I am awful at cooking/baking. (Like seriously, I would make the worst 50s housewife ever because of my lack of any sort of culinary skills :p ) I thought I'd go ahead and buy storebought dough and then make icing to top them, since I reasoned that making icing would be easier than making cookies.

So here is the evidence:
Secret :

The unbaked dough, waiting to go into the oven. Because I forgot to preheat xD

Cookies came out of the oven fine...so then I made the icing (the recipe is at the bottom of the post). And this is where I screwed up. I was supposed to put a 1/4 of a teaspoon of salt in, but I couldn't find a 1/4 teaspoon...so I thought "Eh, it's not important, I'll just toss some in." (See, that's why I'm a bad cook, since I'll randomly throw in other ingredients that I think ought to be there or just estimate when I really shouldn't or replace ingredients with entirely different ones...) And so I grabbed the salt and sprinkled some in. Except I forgot that our salt and pepper containers look exactly alike.

Yeah, I ended up putting pepper in the icing instead of salt.

But the icing turned out okay. It just had a bit of a...kick to it. And so that my family couldn't see the pepper specks, I threw sprinkles over everything to cover it up...

The icing recipe:

Ingredients:

2 cups confectioners' sugar, sift before measuring
1 1/2 tablespoons butter, soft
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 to 4 tablespoons milk

Preparation:

Combine all icing ingredients in small mixing bowl. Stir until smooth and well blended. Adjust for spreading consistency if necessary, adding more milk or more confectioners' sugar. Spread icing or drizzle on warm cookies or pound cake.
~O, wonder!
How many goodly creatures are there here!
How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world,
That has such people in't!~

-Miranda, The Tempest
Azilis Theroulde
Aurist in Training

Words: 57571
Joined roleplay: June 28th, 2010, 2:13 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Power Fork (1)

Postby Stitch on September 20th, 2010, 12:48 am

Every one has such good looking cookies! I feel bad because I did a pretty common recipe, but it is a favorite of mine that my mom used to make all the time when I was a kid.

48 HERSHEY'S KISSES Brand Milk Chocolates
1/2 cup shortening
3/4 cup REESE'S Creamy Peanut Butter
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1 egg
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
Granulated sugar

1. Heat oven to 375°F. Remove wrappers from chocolates.

2. Beat shortening and peanut butter in large bowl until well blended. Add 1/3 cup granulated sugar and brown sugar; beat until fluffy. Add egg, milk and vanilla; beat well. Stir together flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into peanut butter mixture.

3. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll in granulated sugar; place on ungreased cookie sheet.

4. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Immediately press a chocolate into center of each cookie; cookie will crack around edges. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely. About 4 dozen cookies

But seriously, great job, everyone. This is the biggest turn out yet for the Bakeoff, and I am really proud of all the beautiful baking on display! <333
Stitch
Blind Man

Words: 498882
Joined roleplay: December 11th, 2009, 8:48 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 12
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (3) Advocate (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Thunderspork (1)

Postby Dusk on September 21st, 2010, 2:48 am

Okay, so I missed it by a day - but I wasn't home last night so just bear with me!

Chocolate Crackle Bitches

Ingredients:

1 box Devil's Food Cake mix
1/3 c. vegetable oil
2 large eggs
2 tbls ground ginger
2 tsp ground pepper
1 tbls water
1/2 c. mini-chocolate chips
1/4 c. sugar

Directions:

Combine all ingredients except chocolate chips and sugar. Add chocolate chips. Form 1/2 inch balls and roll in sugar to coat. Place on parchment paper or greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 9 minutes - cookies should be soft and cracked on the top.

Pics of the process:

Finished Product!

PLEASE NOTE: Finals are over, but summer is eating my soul. As such, as of the end of June I will not be accepting any new quests/modded threads until I finish some of the ones I've already started/agreed to. My apologies for this, but I don't want to be unfair to those who have been waiting for replies!

Dusk's Office - Information on Syliras - Help Desk
Dusk
DS: Syliras and Wildlands

Words: 341560
Joined roleplay: April 6th, 2010, 5:33 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Trash Medal (1) Thunderspork (1)

Postby Tarot on October 2nd, 2010, 3:24 pm

Congratulations to all participants! As I return from my vacation in Hades I have awarded Power Forks to all bakers with photographic evidence. If you already had a Power Fork please keep note of this thread as there will be a new medal for your third bake-off attendance. :)
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot
May you live in interesting times

Words: 766317
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (11)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Being Tarot Award (1)
O RLY Decoration (1)

Previous