Completed [Antinous Training Grounds] Tis Bitt A Stick, Ser Crowe

Weapons! Finally!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Antinous Training Grounds] Tis Bitt A Stick, Ser Crowe

Postby Bitt on May 6th, 2014, 5:08 am

46th Day of Spring, 514 AV

It was early in the morning, though Bitt was never entirely sure half of the time. The labyrinth of stone passages, rooms and halls was all-encompassing. Within the depths of the Stormhold Citadel, the sun never shone. Instead, sick, yellow flames spewed their orange glow from mounted torches, throwing odd shadows across the walls.
That smell! By Yahal's sacred earlobes, but that's bad!
Living in a large, enclosed fortress with thousands of other people had its disadvantages, and one of them was the smell. Civilisation carried with it an ever-present odour. It wasn't blatantly overpowering, but it was always there. No matter how often Bitt assured himself that he would get used to it, every day he would wake up and wrinkle his nose in distaste. With that thought in mind, the young squire quickened his pace, his armour producing a faint chink, chink with every step.

His destination was the Antinous Training Grounds, and Bitt longed for the relatively fresh air that awaited him. The young squire had made the journey from his room at the squire dormitories to the training grounds often enough that, despite having an awful sense of direction, he was confident that he wouldn't get lost. For the most part, he just followed the steady stream of knights and squires who, like himself, were heading out for some early-morning practice. The men and women of the Syliran Knights never stopped refining their skills; they always strove to improve.

When Bitt finally reached his destination, the young squire inhaled deeply and sighed, content.
That's much better.
With his mood brightened, Bitt cast his gaze around, looking Crowe. His patron would usually wait for him around the entrance if he arrived first and, sure enough, Bitt's eyes landed on the older knight almost immediately. Crowe was leaning against a wall with his arms crossed and his eyes closed, it was one of his favourite spots.
"Good morning Ser Crowe!" Bitt called out and waved at his patron, not considering that the older knight would not be able to see the gesture while his eyes were shut. Crowe's eyes snapped open when his squire had almost finished closing the distance between them, and he harrumphed loudly;
"Took your time today, did you lad?" The older knight raised an eyebrow and Bitt paled slightly; in truth he had managed to get a second serving at breakfast, and so took longer than he normally would to finish his meal. Satisfied that his squire understood the message, Crowe shrugged his shoulders and continued, "No matter, lad. Just follow me."
"Yes, Ser Crowe." Relieved that he had narrowly avoided a stern scolding, Bitt kept pace beside his patron as they ventured out onto the training grounds.

"Alright lad, we're here." Crowe said, and the pair came to a halt. Bitt glanced around with interest, he had never been to this part of the training grounds before. It was an arena, of sorts, built to vaguely resemble an amphitheatre. Fine sand covered the ground, but that was common in a lot of the training spaces. A line of wooden training dummies curved around the inner edge of the ring, again, not an uncommon occurrence. Three other knights, two men and a woman, were spread out around the large, open space. Each of them were swinging at the dummies with practice weapons in fine, coordinated strokes that reflected the countless hours that undoubtedly went into perfecting them.
Amazing.
Bitt couldn't help but feel transfixed when he saw the senior knights at work. Their skills and experience dwarfed his, and he looked on with a mixed feeling of envy and respect.
Some day, I'll be that good too.

Above all, a huge surge of anticipation began to bubble inside of the young squire. This was a place clearly designed for weapons practice. For over half the season, the majority of his training had revolved around physical conditioning... and while the Bitt understood the importance of it, he desperately wanted to take his training to the next level.
Could it be... ?
Bitt struggled to prevent his hopes from rising prematurely, but he couldn't help it. Crowe noticed how jittery his squire was becoming, guessed at the reason, and grinned.
"C'mon lad, it's time to teach you how to fight."

"Bitt's Speech" | Bitt's Thoughts | NPC

Signature Credits: Yuri
Bitt
The Squire

Words: 115508
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2014, 9:33 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Bitt on May 6th, 2014, 11:59 am

Crowe had Bitt follow him to one of the training dummies situated towards the centre of the line. There, on the ground, lay a long bundle. Bitt couldn't see what was inside, as it was wrapped snugly in a linen cloth and secured with rope. All the same, he had a good idea about what to expect. Crowe knelt down and fiddled with the knots and Bitt, who was standing behind him, tilted his head and leaned to the side, eager to catch a glimpse of the contents.

His suspicions proved accurate, and two seven-foot-long quarterstaffs were revealed. Bitt had guessed that when his patron finally did teach him how to use a weapon, it would be the quarterstaff, which was Crowe's weapon of choice.
"Take off that armour lad, and be quick about it." The older knight had rounded on his squire, and now watched him impatiently.
"Pardon, Ser Crowe; all of it?"
"Yes lad, the chain mail and plate. While you're at it, take of your tunic and shirt as well, they're a bit too 'dangly' for my liking. It would be best if they didn't get in your way." Bitt wanted to inquire further, but a raised eyebrow from Crowe shut him up. Instead, he obeyed, and within a couple of chimes was standing bare-chested before his patron.

"Alright lad, you've convinced me that you're capable of moving about in that stuff," Crowe jerked his thumb at the neat pile of armour, "without tripping over your own feet should the situation call for it but, as of today, you won't be wearing it while you train." Bitt was taken aback, frowning slightly at the revelation.
"Pardon, Ser Crowe, but wh-"
"I was getting to that lad," Crowe silenced Bitt with a raised hand, "The quarterstaff is not a weapon suited for a man weighed down by armour, you want to be light on your feet." Bitt nodded slowly, but he was still not convinced;
"Pardon, Ser Crowe, but aren't the knights required to wear chain mail and plate?" Crowe approved of the question, it was an obvious one, but he was pleased that his squire didn't let that deter him from asking it.
"You're not wrong, lad, but we are mage-knights... well, you will be, eventually. My point is that we get a lot of leeway when it comes to our equipment. Not being weighed down while using a quarterstaff is practical and sensible, so the higher-ups let it slide." The older knight dismissed the subject with a wave of his hand, but his half-naked squire gave him cause to pause... "You won't be completely without protection, lad, mind you; we'll arrange some light, leather armour as soon as possible, but for today, this will have to do."
"Yes, Ser Crowe." It was hard for Bitt to disagree when everything his patron said made sense. All the same, he was disappointed, feeling that all the effort he'd put into conditioning himself to be able to move in the heavy chain mail and plate was all for nothing.
But Crowe knows best, I suppose.

Bitt trusted Crowe. His patron had shown that everything he put Bitt through was for a reason, even if the young squire couldn't quite understand it. Bitt suspected this was one of those times, and he wasn't going to let it negatively affect his opinion of the older knight.
"Catch!" Crowe had bent down to retrieve the two quarterstaffs, and tossed one at his squire. Bitt, not expecting the action, made an awkward grab. He caught it. Just barely.
Yahal knows what Crowe would have said if I dropped it.
Bitt paused for a moment, taking a few ticks to appreciate the weapon, which he now held almost reverently. End-to-end, it was taller than he was, although not by much and, although Bitt was no expert, even he could feel that the weapon had a certain density to it.
Probably made from hardwood.
"Alright lad, I figure we'd best start with a demonstration." Crowe brandished his own staff in a clearly practiced stance. The older knight's body was turned so that his right side faced forward. Crowe's staff was held near waist height, but at a slight angle, so that it extended upwards in front of him, "Now, try to hit me!"
Last edited by Bitt on May 7th, 2014, 1:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Bitt
The Squire

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Bitt on May 6th, 2014, 11:56 pm

There was a time when Bitt would have questioned his patron as to why he should try and hit him. Bitt was beyond such things, for he had been through this type of training before. Instead of trying to imitate Crowe's stance, he shifted his grip to one end of the quarterstaff, holding it like a sword. The young squire pushed himself onto the balls of his feet, it never ceased to amaze him how light he felt without the added weight of his armour, and started to jog lightly on the spot. With his feet barely leaving the ground, Bitt quickly transferred his weight from one foot to the other, all the while taking slow, deep breaths and bouncing his shoulders up and down. A small warm-up, as far as those things went, but Bitt didn't want to rush things. Crowe, on the other hand, was growing impatient;
"Come on lad, we don't have all-" Bitt pushed off of the ground before Crowe could finish his statement, and he quickly closed the distance between himself and the older knight. Bitt tightened his grip on the quarterstaff, rose it over his head, and brought it down in a wild overhead strike. A wordless battle-cry escaped his lips.

Bitt's plan was to take his patron by surprise by attacking him while he was talking. Unfortunately for Bitt, Crowe was no amateur. Crowe's guard was solid, but Bitt was full of openings; if he had half the mind, the older knight could land a crushing blow to practically anywhere on the squire's body. The head. The chest. Anywhere. Instead, he shifted his grip on his quarterstaff and stretched out his arms, positioning it horizontally and slightly above his head; the perfect place to block Bitt's clumsy attack.
CRACK
As the two weapons connected, the sound echoed throughout the arena. Bitt found it deafening. Violent vibrations rattled his arms, jarring his grip and throwing him off balance. The young squire took a shaky, backwards step, gritting his teeth. Crowe, who was completely unaffected by the exchange, stepped forward and lightly knocked Bitt's sternum with the blunt end of his staff;
"You're dead, lad."

Bitt glanced down at Crowe's weapon, which still applied gentle pressure to his chest. With a sigh, he lowered his own staff, holding it to his right side in a one-handed grip.
Well... that could've gone better.
When Crowe was sure his squire understood the fight was over, he too lowered his weapon. However, instead of holding his staff out to the side, Crowe placed its butt on the ground and held it like a walking-stick.
"Not bad, lad, not bad," truthfully, he was impressed with Bitt's attack. Trying to take him by surprise was a good idea, if a little bit ambitious, "I probably don't need to mention that, at this point, none of our spars will go past a single exchange... and I will win them all." Crowe's tone darkened, as it often did when he broached upon a particularly serious subject matter. Noticing this, Bitt gave the older knight his full, undying attention.
"Yes, Ser Crowe." Grow nodded, satisfied that Bitt had understood. Like the passing of a storm, the older knight returned to normal.
"Good. With that in mind, let's get you started on some drills, hey lad?"

Bitt
The Squire

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Bitt on May 7th, 2014, 11:48 am

Tock. Tock. Tock.
The repetitive sound echoed every few moments.
Tock.
Crowe had spent about half-a-bell teaching Bitt a basic fighting stance called 'low-guard'. It was the same form the older knight had used in his short spar against the squire. Bitt stood with his body slightly rotated, his right foot leading and his right shoulder facing forwards. Bitt's left hand was positioned towards the butt of the quarterstaff, and his right hand was a few feet further along. He held the weapon at a slightly upwards angle with an underhand grip.
Tock.
It took a great deal of time, but eventually Crowe decided that Bitt's stance was "vaguely reminiscent of how it should look" and set him to practicing a basic thrust. The squire had to step forward, using his arms and body to propel the quarterstaff into the wooden training dummy, and then step back into low-guard. This could be done one of two ways; one was to use both arms without adjusting his grip; the other was to let his forward hand serve as a guide, and let it run down the length of the quarterstaff while his back arm provided the power.
Tock.
Crowe prompted Bitt to alternate between the different techniques at random, as well as occasionally change his leading hand. If the older knight felt his squire was lingering too long without switching, he received a not-so-subtle reminder to "stop being lazy."
Tock.

When Bitt had first started the exercise, he immediately noticed that his technique was sloppy and his movements were sluggish. When he mentioned his displeasure to Crowe, the older knight offered a delightful solution:
Practice, practice, and more practice.
Tock.
So, that's what he did. Bitt took to the training with gusto. The endless repetition was a familiar theme... his patron was fond of it; it was nothing new. It was hard, exhausting work, both mentally and physically.
Step forward, thrust-
Tock.
-step back.
Step forward, slide-thrust-
Tock.
-step back.
Step forward, thrust-
Tock.
-step back.
Change hands.
Step forward, thrust-
Tock.
-step back.
Bitt let himself be absorbed into the pattern, and time seemed to stand still. Sweat glossed his entire body, his muscles cried out in protest at their harsh treatment, and still he continued. Improvement. It was Bitt's driving force. With every successful strike, his resolve was tempered. He knew that every repetition was making him stronger. The practice. The experience. He craved it. He relished it. This was why he was here: to become stronger, to become a protector. He. Would. Not. Fail.

"Alright lad, time for a break!" Crowe called out to his squire. Bitt had been at the drill for over two bells, and the older knight knew that to push him any further would be redundant.
"Yes. Ser. Crowe." Bitt answered and turned to face his patron; his breathing came in ragged gasps. His hands were trembling slightly from the exertion, and it took all of his strength and concentration to prevent his legs giving out from underneath him. His arms felt like jelly, but oddly, he felt no pain.
The pain will come later.
Of that, Bitt was certain... and it would not be pleasant. Instead of standing still, the young squire started walking, needing a groan of effort to get himself going and using his staff as a walking stick . He always found it odd that he felt better while he was still exercising; the exhaustion only really hit him in its entirety when he was finished. Bitt poured two ladles of water over his face from one of the nearby barrels, and sipped slowly from a third. It was important to warm down slowly. If he stopped all at once, it would be bad for his muscles. Crowe knew this, and so waited patiently while his squire took care of himself.

Bitt
The Squire

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Bitt on May 7th, 2014, 2:18 pm

Squire and patron sat opposite each other in the sand. The other occupants of the small arena had vacated one after another over the course of the morning, so Bitt and Crowe were the only two that remained. No words were shared between the two, for they had been sitting in silence for several chimes. The dulled sounds of metal striking metal, wood striking wood, and the occasional exclamation or grunt could be heard in the distance. Bitt was still shirtless, and his armour remained in its pile off to the side. The squire sat cross-legged, with his hands rested palm-down on his thighs and his quarterstaff lying horizontally across his lap. Crowe mirrored the position. They both had their eyes closed.

I am the tree. My consciousness runs deep. I am the roots. I am the support. I am one with the earth. I feel her strength. I feel her stability.
Bitt had once again begun to mentally recite his new mantra. Instead of actively trying to remove all thought from his mind, Crowe had advised him to repeat a long, meaningful mantra until it had no meaning, thereby being nothing. All the while, he breathed in deep, controlled breaths. In through the nose. Out through the mouth.
I am the trunk. I am the branch. I am the bark. I am the wood. I am the body, the essence of myself. I stand tall. I stand strong, for all to see. I sway with the wind, bending against my will.
The young squire wasn't artistic enough to search for hidden meaning. He let the words come to him, repeating them as Crowe had told him too. Or, at least as well as he remembered them. He didn't doubt that, over time, he had made some slight variances, but he wouldn't be able to say what they were. In through the nose. Out through the mouth.
I am the twig. I am the leaf. Now, I fly. Dancing with the wind, a willing partner. I am swept away. I am the seed. I see the earth. I find the water. I am the sprout.

Bitt had warmed down properly but, inevitably, the pain came. The soreness that followed a hard day of training, it was like a visit from a familiar friend. Bitt greeted it warmly and set it aside, ignoring it as he focused on his meditation. Crowe insisted he focus his mind after training, as a way to encourage deeper self reflection. Most often, Bitt came to the same conclusion.
I tried my hardest. I can still improve. I will try my hardest again tomorrow.
For what else could he do? Slowly, softly, Crowe began to speak;
"Lad, there is a reason I use a staff, and not a sword. Do you know why?" Bitt remained silent, easily hearing his patron despite his whispering, focused as he was, "It is because a man can use a staff to protect himself without killing... to kill is not a good thing. It is not glorious, as some would believe. It is awful... but, it is necessary. Sometimes." A chill ran up Bitt's spine. He had never heard Crowe sound so serious. So solemn. " Today, I started teaching you how to kill. I taught you the techniques that could be used to take a man's life. Do you know why?..." Silence grew between the two men, and Bitt pondered his patron's words... realisation swept over him like a tidal wave.
"So I won't have to..." barely a whisper, the words slipped from the young man's lips. Crowe said nothing, so Bitt assumed the older knight hadn't heard. Again a silence grew, and Bitt grew uneasy. He slowly opened his eyes, and set his gaze on Crowe, who still sat with his eyes closed...

and he was smiling.

Bitt
The Squire

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Radiant on May 7th, 2014, 3:31 pm

Bitt :
Experience
Skill XP Earned
Observation +2 XP
Socialization +1 XP
Weapon: Quarterstaff +3 XP
Endurance +2 XP
Meditation +1 XP
Philosophy +1 XP

Lores
Lore Earned
Quarterstaff: Not Suitable With Heavy Armor
Quarterstaff: Basic Stances And Grips
Quarterstaff: Low-Guard
Quarterstaff: Usable As Walking Stick
Quarterstaff: Non-lethal Weapon
Meditation: To Dampen Pain

Loots
+3 Shield Points

Notes :
Woah, awesome! It was an intense training thread with a philosophical finish, you both are really made for each other! Good job! :)

My radiance is not bright enough?
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade, beam me a PM and we can work it out. :)
Radiant
Sailor Radiant

Words: 781936
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2013, 1:39 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)