Completed [Windmount Stables] I Say Hay!

Bitt trains... without Crowe!?!?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Windmount Stables] I Say Hay!

Postby Bitt on May 9th, 2014, 1:42 pm

55th Day of Spring, 514 AV

"C'mon girl, we're almost there!" Bitt called out to his horse, a gentle mare named Sandy, from his position in the saddle. Well, to say that Sandy was Bitt's horse wouldn't be entirely correct. Sandy belonged to the Windmount Stables, and was made available for Bitt to ride as part of his training: squires had to learn how to ride somehow. The pair were moving at a steady, distance-eating canter, and Bitt was loving every second of it. Ever since Bitt stopped wearing the full chain mail and plate typical of a Syliran Knight, opting instead for the lighter alternative of studded leather armour, the squire noticed an increase in his physical performance.
It's like I'm lighter than air.
As Sandy ran, Bitt would slightly move the lower portion of his body to match his horse's movements. This was called posting, and it was a technique crucial for efficient riding. Instead of riding every bump, slamming his rump into the saddle and putting stress on Sandy's back, Bitt rode with the natural motions of her gait. It made the entire experience a lot more bearable for both horse and rider.
I sure have come a long way.

Bitt thought back fondly to his first lesson in the saddle, and all of the mistakes he'd made. Where he once would have had trouble keeping a fluid posting rhythm on a cantering horse, despite focusing the entirety of his attention to the task, Bitt now felt that such a basic technique came to him rather easily. Sure, Sandy was as gentle as a lamb, and he thought that compared to younger horses, her gait would be slightly slower...
But still...
He still had a room for a lot of improvement, Bitt wasn't stupid enough to think otherwise. There was always room for improvement. For instance, the squire still hadn't ridden a horse at full gallop. As the thought crossed his mind, Bitt slightly tightened his grip on the reigns. He knew the signal to set Sandy at canter, he knew-
No! Don't be stupid! You promised Crowe you'd practice your canter. Nothing more.
Bitt had to sternly remind himself to resist the temptation. He had said he would do something, so he would do it. Discipline was important; he couldn't let himself be overcome by destructive desires...
The Fury...
Bitt shook his head from side to side, as if the physical action would help him scatter the thought. He also inhaled deeply, the cool air rushed into his lungs, lightly flavoured with the scent of sweaty horse. It served as a powerful mind-clearer, and-
...and I've gone the wrong way!

Distracted as he was by his thoughts, Bitt had turned Sandy down the wrong path. He needed to return her to the stables, he had spent the better part of the morning riding her, after all. There were signs where the path forked, so even someone as directionally challenged as Bitt should have been able to find his way.
...Should have, anyway...
With a sigh, the squire pulled back gently on the reigns, signalling Sandy to slow down. Over the span of a few ticks her speed gradually reduced, until she was moving forward at a walk.
"Sorry girl, that was my fault." Bitt leaned forward and rubbed his horse's shoulder as he spoke. Responding to her rider's touch, Sandy snorted and flicked her tail, "I agree, we'd better turn around." Without Crowe around, Bitt didn't feel the need to hide the fact that he talked to the horse, a quirk he was embarrassed about. Bitt's patron had been called in by his superiors, apparently to discuss Bitt himself. The young squire wasn't worried.
If Crowe wasn't happy with me I'd know about it.
As the older knight had so eloquently put it: "just because your patron is gone for the day, doesn't mean you get to laze about and twiddle your thumbs!" Bitt agreed with the sentiment, and so he was spending the day training without Crowe's direct supervision. So far, everything was going very smoothly... at least, Bitt thought it was.

Using the reigns to guide her, Bitt slowly turned Sandy around. With a flick of his wrists, and a few clicks of his tongue, the squire had his horse moving again.
Hopefully in the right direction this time.

"Bitt's Speech" | Bitt's Thoughts | NPC

Signature Credits: Yuri
Bitt
The Squire

Words: 115508
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2014, 9:33 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Bitt on May 10th, 2014, 4:40 pm

As Bitt approached the stable, he slowed Sandy down to a walk. More and more, he was growing to appreciate just how intelligent horses were.
Sandy can't speak, but through these reigns we can talk... it's actually kind of amazing.
When he reached the entrance, a young stable hand offered to take his horse. Generally speaking, most knights didn't bother grooming their mounts after riding them. Bitt swung a leg up and over the saddle, landing on the ground with a dull thud; he braced the impact by bending his knees. It was a perfect dismount. Still holding onto the horse's reigns, Bitt turned to face the stable hand, a young boy with cropped, dark hair and angular facial features.
"You can take care of Sandy's tack, if you want, but I'll rub her down myself." The squire was in no rush, so he could take the time to care for his mount himself. It was the least he could do, he thought, considering she'd been carrying him around all morning. The stable hand shrugged his shoulders,
"If you say so, Ser Knight." As long as the horse was properly looked after, he wouldn't get in trouble. Bitt waved his hand in response,
"Oh, no, I'm still just a squire."
"Whatever." The stable hand had already started loosening Sandy's girth straps, clearly not interested in the specifics of Bitt's rank. The squire frowned at this, thinking that young people were-
Wait, young people? I'm probably only a couple of years older than him... by Yahal, I think I've been spending too much time with Crowe.

Inside of Sandy's stall, Bitt was using a small bundle of hay to wipe all of the sweat from the horse's hair; a process known as rubbing down. Bitt worked in a circular motion, moving from head-to-tail and top-to-bottom. It was an important task, because it helped cool the horse down. Of course, he had also let her have drink, but that was challenging in its own way.
"You always try to drink too much, too quickly," Bitt said matter-of-factly to the animal, and Sandy flicked her tail, which Bitt took to mean: "that's because I get thirsty after having to carry you around for half the day." Bitt wondered if his guesses at the horse's thoughts were ever accurate, but shrugged his shoulders when he realised it was a redundant thought.

"I'm done rubbing Sandy down. She's all yours." On his way out of the stable, Bitt passed the same stable hand he had on the way in. There were other tasks that needed to be taken care of when a horse was returned, but the squire was confident that he did not possess the necessary skills or knowledge to perform them properly. The boy stared at him through narrowed eye slits, which made Bitt feel uneasy.
"... Can you talk to animals, Ser Knight? 'Cuz I heard you talking to the horse and-"
"Oh! I just remembered I have some important knight stuff to do - goodbye!" Bitt interrupted the stable hand and practically fled from the building, grabbing his quarterstaff - which was leaning on the wall near the exit - on his way out. He didn't care where he was going, he just wanted to flee from his embarrassment.

Bitt
The Squire

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Bitt on May 11th, 2014, 12:43 am

Instead of returning to the Stormhold Citadel, and the cramped halls therein, Bitt decided to wonder the grounds surrounding the Windmount Stables for a while. Using his quarterstaff as a walking stick, the squire made steady progress, his feet crunching gently on the grass. He inhaled deeply.
Ahhhhh, much better.
Stables generally carried with them the odour of horse, as well as the things that horses produce... put bluntly, they smell. Badly. A gentle breeze blew, and Bitt was in high spirits, his earlier embarrassment all but forgotten. Unfortunately, his rump was still slightly pained - the squire still suffered in the saddle, despite his growing confidence - but he was able to ignore it.

Trees dotted the landscape. Not in huge clusters, but the occasional small thicket or lone tree wasn't an uncommon sight. Obviously, open fields filled the majority of Bitt's vision, but one tree in particular caught his eye. There was nothing special about it, nor was it very big.
I want to climb that.
It was the whim of a young man looking to kill some time: sense, reason and potential consequences were absent from the thought process. Pleased with his brilliant idea, the squire stepped away from the marked path. His destination was still a fair distance away, and a chest-high fence blocked Bitt's progress. Shrugging, he approached the wooden construct and motioned to throw his quarterstaff over the top, intending to climb-
Actually...
Bitt paused mid-stride and stared at his weapon. Crowe had insisted that one of the main appeals of the staff was its versatility. It had many uses, like as a walking stick. An idea began to form behind the young squire's eyes, and he grinned at the genius of it.

Bitt had backed away a considerable distance. He stood with the top-end-butt of his quarterstaff gripped firmly in his right hand, and his left hand was positioned a couple of feet down the weapon's length. His shoulders were slowly bouncing up and down in anticipation, and his gaze was locked firmly on the fence.
This will work. This will work. This will work!
With a small cry of exhilaration, the squire took off at a full sprint. His right hand was held slightly higher than shoulder height, and the butt of his quarterstaff hovered barely a foot above the ground. Each step was accompanied by a powerful thud, and he rapidly closed the distance between himself and the barrier. When Bitt judged the time was right, he thrust the staff against the ground and pushed off with his legs in a powerful jump.

Too early. Bitt had mistimed the manoeuvre. Instead of soaring elegantly over the fence, the squire landed slightly before it, and his momentum slammed into it with a dull smack. Bitt ricocheted backwards and fell flat on his rear-end. Dazed, he inhaled sharply;
"Ouch... It worked!" Despite getting his timing wrong, Bitt considered the experiment a huge success. He was able to use the quarterstaff to empower his jumps.
It was like I was flying!
Bitt climbed to his feet and shook out his limbs. He was a little bit sore, but otherwise unhurt. With a grin plastered on his face, the young squire snatched up his quarterstaff and retreated to his starting position.

Bitt
The Squire

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Bitt on May 11th, 2014, 1:43 am

Letting loose a wordless yell, Bitt once again charged the fence. This time, he waited until he was closer before pushing the butt of his quarterstaff into the earth. As his feet flew into the air, the squire twisted his body, pulling it into a horizontal position almost parallel with the ground. He soared over the top of the fence feet-first, pulling the staff over after him. Bitt stumbled slightly as he landed, and fell to his knees, breathing heavily from the adrenaline that surged through his system. His staff was still held firmly in his left hand, so much so that his knuckles had turned white.
I... I did it. I did it!
With a whoop of excitement, the squire sprang into he air and cheered. Practically dancing around in a small circle, Bitt proudly thumped his leather breast plate with a closed fist.
"I'd like to see someone in full plate try that one! Woo!" Bitt called out to no one in particular. More than anything, it was the fact that he'd figured the manoeuvre out on his own that pleased him. He didn't need anyone to walk him through it, step by step. This achievement was all his, and it felt good. With a small swagger in his step, Bitt continued towards the tree he'd spotted, which grew ever closer.

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Bees.
Hundreds of bees.
Thousands of bees.
More bees than Bitt had ever seen before.
... there was a lot of bees.
Apparently, a particularly large hive had taken up residence in the tree Bitt had decided he would climb. At first, Bitt had only heard the buzzing. It was an eerie sound, when so many of them buzzed together, like the deep hum of a single, large monster. When he'd gotten a little closer, he saw them too: tiny dark shapes zipping through the air. More than he could count. The young squire had been stung before. Once. By one bee... it was not a pleasant experience. Now, Bitt stood well away from the outskirts of the hive's centre of activity, his lips tightened in a thin line.
You know what... I don't think I want to climb that tree any more.
A knight needed to know when to make a tactical retreat. It wasn't something Crowe had told him, but it seemed sensible. If getting stung by one bee hurt, he didn't want to know what getting stung by a thousand felt like.

With a sigh, Bitt turned around and retraced his steps, eventually returning to the path. He got to vault over the fence again, which he thoroughly enjoyed, and already he was getting over the disappointment of not getting to climb his tree.
I wonder if Crowe's done yet?
The squire was excited to tell his patron about all of the accomplishments he'd made that day, and the thought steered Bitt back towards the citadel. Even if Crowe was still occupied, the squire knew he could always scrounge up some food to pass the time.
I'm suddenly in the mood for some honey.

Bitt
The Squire

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Radiant on May 11th, 2014, 12:54 pm

Bitt :
Experience
Skill XP Earned
Observation +1 XP
Rhetoric +1 XP
Riding: Horse +2 XP
Animal Husbandry +1 XP
Weapon: Quarterstaff +1 XP
Acrobatics +2 XP
Running +1 XP
Endurance +1 XP
Meditation +1 XP

Lores
Lore Earned
Fauna: Horses Are Intelligent
Acrobatics: Vaulting With Quarterstaff
Fauna: Bees

Loots
+3 Shield Points

Notes :
Another wonderful and hilarious solo, Bitt! Enjoy your grades! :D

P.S: I was half-expecting he would get stung by thousands of bees, then he would get +5 Endurance. :lol:

My radiance is not bright enough?
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade, beam me a PM and we can work it out. :)
Radiant
Sailor Radiant

Words: 781936
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2013, 1:39 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)