Completed [Antinous Training Grounds] Like A Record, Baby

Rock & Roll

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Antinous Training Grounds] Like A Record, Baby

Postby Bitt on May 12th, 2014, 10:27 am

64th Day of Spring, 514 AV

The Antinous Training Grounds were occupied on this day, as they were most days: a massive expanse of blood, sweat and tears. It was here that the Syliran Knights honed their mighty skills. Swords clashed against swords, fists slammed into wooden dummies, and arrows flew to the sound of a dozen twanging bowstrings. There was an order to the activity. A discipline. The knights carried themselves with the honour, respect, and dignity that was to be expected from agents of Sylir, God of Peace and-
"DODGE, LAD!!!"
At Crowe's bellow, Bitt flung himself to the ground shoulder-first. As the young squire braced for impact, he tucked in his head and rolled through the movement, using his momentum to spring back up into a run. A dull clattering noise, and an obvious lack of sudden pain, indicated that the evasive manoeuvre had been successful.
This is insane!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Earlier that day, Crowe pointed at two non-specific points, about 100-yards apart;
"Alright lad, start running until I tell you to stop." At the time Bitt, with his quarterstaff in hand, simply nodded and started jogging; such basic physical drills were not new to him, after all. For several chimes, the young squire progressed normally. He ran in a small, narrow circuit, placing one foot in front of the other. The task wasn't very mentally demanding, and once Bitt settled on a rhythm, he let his thoughts wander. They drifted gently from one topic to another, but never lingered in any one place for very long... you can imagine his surprise when the first stone smashed into his ribs.

Unbeknownst to the distracted squire, Crowe had fetched a pair of large, wooden buckets, each filled with round, apple-sized stones. When Bitt had his back to him, the older knight selected one at random and tossed it from hand to the other, testing its weight.
"DODGE, LAD!!!"
Crowe roared at his squire and threw the stone, pivoting his hips and putting all of his strength into the action. Bitt, snapping out of his daze in response to the sound, turned around to face his patron. The projectile zipped through the air and slammed into the squire's left side mid-turn. If he weren't wearing his armour, the impact would have broken at least one of his ribs. Instead, the beginnings of a large bruise began to form underneath Bitt's clothing, and he cried out; more from the shock than from the pain. The young squire buckled his knees slightly, but he did not fall down.
"If that had been an arrow, you'd be dead, lad."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That had been over half-a-bell ago, and Crowe continued to throw stones at his squire at irregular intervals, expecting Bitt to dodge them by rolling out of the way. It was essential that he keep moving. Again, there was no set period in between the older knight's attacks, and the first time Bitt took too long to recover, he took a hit to his shoulder. Knowing that every injury he sustained would make moving - and hence dodging - harder, Bitt was completely determined to avoid making the same mistake more than once. It was a mentally draining experience, even more so than it was a physically draining one. Crowe would only make a throw when Bitt showed him his back, so the squire's only signal that a rock would start flying towards him was his patron's shout. Furthermore, the older knight strolled in a circuit - the likes of which had no apparent pattern - of his own, so Bitt could never be certain as to where a shot might be coming from. The anticipation and adrenaline made Bitt's breathing come in quick, excited breaths, and he was sweating from the strain. Thankfully, it had been some time since he'd been hit, and the young squire felt as if he were getting used to the exercise.

Crowe, of course, took notice of this.

"Bitt's Speech" | Bitt's Thoughts | NPC

Signature Credits: Yuri
Bitt
The Squire

Words: 115508
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2014, 9:33 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Bitt on May 12th, 2014, 1:01 pm

"DODGE, LAD!!!"
Prompted by the now-familiar command, Bitt leapt into roll. The motion had been becoming increasingly more fluid as he practiced it over the course of the morning. When he didn't feel the harsh impact of a fast-moving stone, he was pleased that he had successfully dodged another attack...
Hang on a tick...
The tell-tale clatter the missed projectile usually made as it collided with the ground was absent. Funny, Bitt thought, how quickly he'd come to depend on the sound as the final confirmation of a successful evasion. The shock of it all made him halt his run mid-stride, and he pivoted on his running foot, turning to face his patron. At this point, Bitt was well and truly exhausted, and the action sent several beads of sweat flying from his face and hair. The young squire's breathing came in deep, laborious breaths that shook his entire body.

Crowe was standing with both of his arms hanging at waist height, still with one stone in each hand, and raised an eyebrow at his squire when Bitt turned on him.
"I'm sorry, squire Bitt, did I say you could stop running?" When Crowe referred to him by his official title, Bitt knew that the older knight was making fun of him. Crowe wanted him to say something, to question him. The young squire didn't doubt his patron already had a response waiting, but seeing as how he'd already stopped, he asked anyway;
"Why did you tell me to dodge then not throw the rock?" Crowe kept a straight face and, looking Bitt straight in the eye, he answered in a slow, deliberate tone;
"Well lad, I don't recall saying I would always throw when I told you dodge. You let yourself become too dependant on my warnings, so you let yourself get fooled. In a fight, this could cost you your life. Feints are very common, lad. Very common." So, Bitt thought, this was the lesson. Surprisingly, there wasn't much mockery layered into his patron's response... apart from the suggestion that Bitt was naive, but that was nothing to get upset about, really. Now that his patron had pointed it out to him, Bitt recognised that there was a lot of wisdom behind the advice, "Now, keep running. I don't remember saying you could stop." Bitt took a final deep breath, making use of his momentarily motionless position, before he answered;
"Yes, Ser Crowe."

Barely five ticks had past, and Bitt was just getting back into a decent running rhythm, before a stone crashed into his lower back, slightly off centre and to the right, causing the squire to stagger and fall. As he crashed into the ground, Bitt fumbled his quarterstaff, and the weapon swung backwards into his privates. Hard.
Pain.
Awe-inspiring pain.
The air rushed out of Bitt's lungs in a mighty ooooof, and the squire's mouth began to flap open and closed like a fish's. Clutching at his lower abdomen, as if it would aleviate the agony, Bitt rolled onto his side. He groaned, though where he found the air to do so was a mystery. Crowe discarded his final stone, letting it drop to the ground, and approached the momentarily disabled squire.

Crowe entered Bitt's field of vision - albeit he appeared slightly blurry due to the tears that brimmed in the young squire's eyes - and he spoke;
"You alright lad?" Crowe had seen what had happened, and he felt sympathy for the boy. He didn't regret what he did, but that didn't mean he couldn't feel sorry for his squire, who was undoubtedbly in a tremendous amount of pain. With a sudden gasp, Bitt started breathing again, albeit not very well. Given his current condition, the young squire was only able to conjure up a single word;
"Why?"
"I never said I wouldn't attack you without giving you a warning first, lad. Make sure you remind your next opponent to shout out all of his movements, lad, it'd be a shame if he didn't make it too easy for you." The older knight made a general gesture towards Bitt's crumpled form, "When you're able to stand, come and join me." With that, Crowe walked away, leaving Bitt to contemplate the harsh lesson... and recover.

Bitt
The Squire

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Bitt on May 12th, 2014, 3:29 pm

It took a few chimes, but eventually Bitt felt confident that he could walk without losing his breakfast. He half-limped his way over to where Crowe was sitting - legs crossed and on the ground - and joined him, mirroring the position. Silence. Neither squire nor patron said a word, for no words needed to be said. A wordless communication, an understanding brought about by routine. Crowe placed his hands, palm facing downwards, on his thighs; he lay his quarterstaff, a seven-foot-long weapon made of ash, across his lap; finally, he closed his eyes and began to meditate. The young squire did the same.

Bitt was not mad with his patron. Everything Crowe put him through made him stronger, and the majority of what had just transpired - as far as his painful groin was concerned - was an accident. For that, he would not be mad. He would not carry a petty grudge over something so small. He reflected on this as he sat, letting his mind drift. A ripple, as one thought led to another, and expanded his mind as a whole. He visualised it: the ripple. Every new thought, a new drop in the ocean that was his mind. Too many thoughts, and the ripples would lose their beauty, their shape... crashing into a giant, unreadable mess. Too few thoughts, and the water would be almost still. Stagnant. A mind should not be as such. A ripple is a beautiful thing. It allows a focused thought to grow, to gain momentum and reach its potential. Often, when Bitt meditated, he considered his resolve. What he needed to do. Protect. Discipline. Strength. Small ideas, all of them; but what did they mean? What lay behind the words? It was an answer that Bitt had began to search for and, hidden deep within his mind, he suspected he would someday find it... today was not that day. Bitt was not mad. He felt that if he got a little bit closer every day, then that would be enough. He would find it. Eventually.

Slowly, Crowe began to speak;
"Lad, you need to stop making so many assumptions... except for one: always assume the worst will happen." Bitt listened carefully to his patron's words. It was often at times like these that he would part with a piece of his wisdom. All the same, Bitt raised an eyebrow at what the older knight said. He remained silent, and Crowe continued, "Trust me, lad, you're better off being prepared for the worst and having it not happen, then not being prepared for it and having it happen." Silence. Time to absorb the words, to consider them. Bitt paid attention to his breathing, and the slow, steady rhythm helped him focus. There was a truth to what Crowe said... a painful truth, but a truth all the same. A thought struck the young squire;
"Ser Crowe, would it not be enough to just prepare for the worst, instead of expect it all the time?" As far as Bitt was concerned, it seemed like a much better alternative.
"Perhaps," was all that Crowe said, and the silence between them grew once again.

After a time, Bitt heard a gentle scuffle -his eyes were still closed - as his patron stood up, and the squire followed suite. His pain was at the back of his mind, but the bruises on his body tingled with a dull ache. Bitt resolved to visit Soothing Waters when he finished up for the day; a massage would be perfect.
"Part of today's training, as I'm sure you can imagine, was to get you a bit lighter on your feet, lad. If we're going to have you running about without any armour on, and without a shield, then your best chance of survival in a skirmish would be to not get hit at all," Crowe said matter-of-factly, and Bitt nodded his agreement.
"Yes, Ser Crowe, but..."
"What is it, lad?"
"I was wondering; why don't we just use a shield and wear armour if it offers more protection?" At his squires question, the older knight grinned. He was actually surprised it hadn't been asked sooner.
"All weapons and armour have their advantages and disadvantages, lad. Besides, your average shield would be about this big, correct?" Crowe held his hands several feet apart to illustrate his point, and Bitt nodded, "Well, lad, what if I told you the quarterstaff could be used defensively to cover an area as wide as the staff itself?"
"Can it, Ser Crowe?" Bitt asked, trying to keep his voice level, but in truth he was very interested by the prospect. Crowe nodded,
"Absolutely. So tell me lad, shall I teach you a flourish?"
"Yes, Ser Crowe."

Bitt
The Squire

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Bitt on May 12th, 2014, 4:54 pm

Bitt stood a generous distance away from Crowe, and watched with anticipation as his patron assumed a stance unknown to the squire. A demonstration. The older knight began to spin his quarterstaff, slowly, at first. Crowe used his whole body to bring about the movement. His legs moved his body, his hips turned his torso, which then pushed his arms, which positioned his hands in the perfect position to move the quarterstaff. His hands were in constant motion. Rotating, twisting, sliding. It was as if Crowe's body were in harmony with itself, and it was this harmony that spun the weapon. As ticks past, the older knight began to increase his speed by increments as he grew more comfortable with the motion. What truly amazed Bitt was when his patron began to walk. He moved forwards, and still kept the quarterstaff spinning perfectly. After a chime or two, Crowe finished by leaping forward, shifting from the flourish into an overhead strike in a single, fluid motion.
Crack!
The weapon collided with the ground, and all grew still. Exhaling deeply, Crowe dropped out of his stance, straightened his back, and approached the squire. Bitt, unable to contain himself, practically cheered;
"Crowe! That was amazing!" In his excitement, he forgot to address his patron with the proper honorific, but the older knight didn't seem to mind. Instead, he smiled fondly at his squire.
"Unfortunately lad, I'm a bit rusty. A real master could do that at speeds the human eye couldn't even follow. I've seen it, once or twice... it's incredible."
"Well, that's the fasted I've ever seen it done, Ser Crowe." Bitt nodded his head, as if that fact was all that mattered. Crowe chuckled.
"Alright lad, for now put your staff down, I've got to show you how to stand."

Crowe spent the next bell teaching his squire the basic stance. Where to put his feet. What angle his feet had to be at. How to shift his weight... this, in particularly, proved to be very time-consuming. In essence, it was a slight backwards-and-forwards rocking of the body, though such a simplification doesn't quite do the motion justice. It was difficult, and it took Bitt quite some time before he started to get a rough feel for the weight shifts. Crowe would constantly circle the young squire, keeping an eye out for any corrections, any small changes in position, that needed to be made.
"Alright lad, I think you're ready to give it a try with the staff. Just try not to poke your eye out." Bitt, who had his brow furrowed in concentration, was pleased. He stopped practice mid-weight-shift, intending to pick up his quarterstaff, but Crowe stopped him with a few waves of his hands, "That's another thing lad: Your movements shouldn't be so jagged. So angular. Let them flow. Let every move lead into the next... Work on it. Bitt nodded;
"Yes, Ser Crowe." It was always best to follow Crowe's advice in these things, Bitt thought.

The hand and arm movements proved even more challenging. As Bitt spun the staff, with his hands slightly off-centre, he had to move it in such a way that it would practically fall into the hand waiting to catch it. He needed to keep his hands moving so that the rotation could occur; human joints could only be stretched so far. He had to tuck an arm one way, then twist it another, only to bend the opposite hand back again... it was very complicated, and matching it to the footwork was even more so. Ticks turned to chimes, and chimes turned to bells. It was late in the afternoon when he reached a small semblance of success.
"Yes, that's it lad!" The infinitely patient Crowe was present for it all, offering tips and advice when he could. He knew though, that what his squire needed was practice, and that practice was paying off.
Bitt's arms felt like jelly, but he finally managed a consistent flourish. The quarterstaff moved at a snail's pace, and was somewhat shaky, but it was a flourish all the same. After about ten-ticks, Bitt made a small mistake and lost it. He laughed then, infinitely pleased with himself, and Crowe shot him a grin.
"Good job lad. All you need to do now is refine it. What do you say we call it a day?" Sore and exhausted, but content, Bitt gave the obvious answer;
"Yes, Ser Crowe."

Bitt
The Squire

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Radiant on May 12th, 2014, 6:56 pm

Bitt :
Experience
Skill XP Earned
Observation +3 XP
Socialization +1 XP
Philosophy +1 XP
Running +1 XP
Acrobatics +2 XP
Endurance +2 XP
Meditation +1 XP
Weapon: Quarterstaff +1 XP

Lores
Lore Earned
Quarterstaff: Flourish
Feints Are Very Common In Combat
Philosophy: Always Prepare For The Worst

Loots
+4 Shield Points

Notes :
Another awesome solo by the awesome Bitt! Enjoy your grades! :D

:lol: The part where Bitt struck his own privates with the quarterstaff make me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:!

My radiance is not bright enough?
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade, beam me a PM and we can work it out. :)
Radiant
Sailor Radiant

Words: 781936
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2013, 1:39 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)