Closed And So They Go

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

And So They Go

Postby Matthew on July 7th, 2014, 8:00 pm

Matthew was completely set apart from their interaction, finding more interest in making sure the head of the random spoon he had discovered was completely and absolutely sparkling clean. He scrubbed and he scrubbed, wandering around the two men in tight little circles. He could feel Petricious staring at him behind the dark black glass circles of his mask, keeping a very careful eye on Matthew. The Harlot wondered if Nate was actually feeling the exact same thing. All of those who walked into the Clinic probably found themselves feeling as if they were being picked apart by the eyes on that mask, no matter how many people were in the Clinic at once. Perhaps that is why the Doctor wore that expressionless mask of his.

He was snapped out of his focus by the pitiful moan from behind the curtain, though he had thankfully just finished up with his little task. He set the spoon to the side and peered in the direction of the moan, not able to form the obvious question before he was tugged away. Nate was holding his shoulder quite hard. He couldn't help but wince a little as he tried to get his feet underneath him, finding that he could never quite walk quickly enough to help him keep up with the determined pace Nate was setting. It was only when he had been pushed against a dirty wall that he realized that the Sunberthian fellow wasn't exactly just in a hurry.

Interestingly enough, Matthew did seem to understand what was happening. He even responded, his voice that soft and apathetic tone. "You are correct. I did vouch for him as a Doctor. As for the associated risks, it seems that you are very aware of what they could be. I will say that it is a good sign that he asked if he could put her to use after attempting to treat or diagnose her. Normally he doesn't ask." He personally wasn't too worried that Kay would find herself in any sort of trouble with the Doctor. Once he got ahold of her he would be much less interested in using her body for other experimental purposes. She was old and worn and her body was seemingly very damaged. Matthew couldn't think of a use for it and had a sneaking suspicion that even the 'imaginative' Doctor wouldn't be able to.

Nate had made one small miscalculation, though it wasn't an obvious one. Many people made it and didn't realize they did. Matthew did feel a sliver of fear. He had seen there was a threat and had understood that pain would likely be his gift for failing to deliver on whatever unspoken promise had somehow passed between the two of them. He was simply able to make that little sliver vanish quicker and easier than most could.

His mind had already turned to the more difficult part of the task though. As clueless as he could sometimes be, he most definitely knew it would be a struggle to convince Kay to do anything that she had no interest in doing. If he ever needed to reference a definition of what stubborn was, the woman was a shining example. "When it comes to Kay, perhaps you could tell her that I requested her presence. I am attempting to brush up on my medical knowledge and wanted to examine a patient that wasn't a risk and that I was familiar with."

Matthew
Malfunctioning

Words: 1100152
Joined roleplay: June 24th, 2013, 9:37 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Guest Storyteller (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

And So They Go

Postby Nathaniel Ankah on July 10th, 2014, 2:02 am

"You're not gettin' around me, boy!"

"Kay, I'm not trying to-"

"And don't be goin' all reasonable, too!" Kay dunked the soaking trousers back into the wash barrel like she was trying to drown it, lips set in a determined line that a cavalry charge couldn't have broken. "I taught you that, remember?"

Nate sighed and massaged his weary face. Half a bell they'd been at this and not a dent had been made. For now, Matthew had been quiet, watching, probably compiling some list of points to make in (gods, he couldn't believe he was thinking this) Petricious' favor. He hoped so, anyway.

"Kay, whatever else the man is, he's a healer, he's had training, he's-"

"Had blood on his hands in this town since before you knew how to use your..." Her spitfire rant trailed off as her eyes flicked to Matthew, holding herself back with company present. An innocent pair of breeches were brutalized on the washboard as she kept talking, though. "That... thing, is not looking me over, Matthew. I'd rather a sodding - sorry, Matthew, love - Dhani put their claws on me than that... urgh!"

The washing was abandoned entirely and Kay flopped back onto her stool, breathing hard, bosom heaving. Nate knew he had to start getting some digs in soon, or she'd be too tired to do anything, let alone march a dozen streets over.

"Kay, I've already given him some gold for his time-"

"More the fool you, then-"

"And he's agreed to look at you. His knowledge, his tools, everything! There's no-one in this city who knows diseases and ailments better than him, and you know it. One bell. S'all I want. One bell and we'll know what..."

"What's killing me, huh?"

There was no retort for that. Just a steady, simmering glare the two of them held. No, that wasn't the word for it. Nate's eyes were too turgid for the hardness needed for a glare; it was simply the cold, reluctant stare of a man facing what he didn't want to. And to his shame, after a few ticks, he looked away.

"We have to know." He said, voice barely above a whisper. "If we know, we can do something about it."

"You don't know that-"

"I know I'm tired of watching you get weaker every day." He didn't bark or growl or shout, but his words had iron in them now, the frustrated anguish of the passing seasons choking each one. "I'm tired of hearing your coughs rattle and wondering "is it going to be today I come in there and find her cold on the floor"? Every day, you... you move a little slower. Carry a little less. You think I don't see it, but I do, and I can't do it anymore-"

"Nate... I didn't mean-"

"I know you didn't. But this is where we are. I can do something about it, now. Just... let me help you, girl. You've helped me so many years. Now let me do something for you."

"But Petricious-"

"Is human garbage and it would be my pleasure to leave him crucified to his damn operating table choking on his own balls, but..." He closed the gap between them and shook his head, cupping her cheeks in his hand. "... he knows things. Things that could help you. And you' be helping Matt, too."

That struck a chord, and one she wasn't expecting to hear. Thin eyebrows furrowed on her forehead and she flicked a glance to the silent harlot.

"How?"

Nate turned to his ace in the hole, smile on his face and a plea in his eyes.

"Tell her, Matt..."

Nathaniel Ankah
Player

Words: 186484
Joined roleplay: May 24th, 2014, 3:52 am
Character sheet
Plotnotes

And So They Go

Postby Matthew on July 29th, 2014, 12:54 am

Don't be going all reasonable? Matthew's eyebrow rose, the Harlot standing to the side with his arms crossed calmly over his chest as he watched the interaction slowly unfold. Was there something wrong with being reasonable? He had thought that being reasonable was exactly what people normally wanted to do. He had long since stopped trying to figure out both Kay and Nate. They were too filled with personality, putting them far beyond the realm of his understanding. He merely watched and listened, waiting for a time when it was appropriate for him to try and do his part. From the glances that Nate had thrown at him every now and then, he was assuming that he was supposed to step in with something clever at some point. He hadn't quite figured out what that something was yet. Was it appropriate to use Hypnotism in this situation? He was wary, as he had no idea if either Nate or Kay had any magical abilities of their own that would let them pick up on such a skill. His teeth sank into his lower lip as he thought, chewing away in a common bad habit.

She apologized to him and Matthew shrugged his shoulders, guessing she was referring to her swear but not entirely sure. It was only a word, though he had noticed that Kay never failed to correct Nate if his mouth turned a little foul. Incapable of noticing an example when he saw one, Matthew's eyes widened the slightest bit at the mention of Dhani. She would? Really? Had she ever met one? Karin hopped to mind, a Dhani that he would absolutely never let attempt any sort of medical procedure on him.

Silence overtook them for a moment as Kay tossed out the obvious, or what Matthew thought was the obvious. Even the normally oblivious Matthew was aware enough to understand was anger between them. He blinked a few times and settled back against the wall that he was near, figuring that he was going to be in this for the long haul. Hadn't he just been here to recommend a doctor? He couldn't remember the original arrangement now. He was pretty sure that all of this hadn't been included in it, but he certainly couldn't just walk out now.

Oh, wait, now he was being dragged even further in. Had Nate somehow picked up on the fact that Matthew had sort of started to look for something of a way out? He cleared his throat, speaking in a soft and passive tone.

"I would like you there as well. Like I said, I used to go to school for medicine. I wanted to examine a patient who I was familiar and comfortable with in order to do a little research, and the fact that your condition is a bit unknown to me is a point of interest. Both Nate and I will be there the entire time, if that makes you feel any better. I have worked as the Doctor's assistant for some time now. Trust me when I say that he will not be interested in you beyond the standard practice of medicine." He offered his piece to Kay, actually using complete and utter truth. He was quite interested in all of this.

He settled back against the wall, curiously waiting to see how it would unfold. Was that enough, would Kay win, or did Nate have one last thing up his sleeve?

Matthew
Malfunctioning

Words: 1100152
Joined roleplay: June 24th, 2013, 9:37 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Guest Storyteller (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

And So They Go

Postby Nathaniel Ankah on August 5th, 2014, 2:15 am

Nathaniel could see the friction and conflict sliding over Kay's face, and held his breath. He was glad he had Matthew on his side: his brand of blunt honesty, properly marshaled and directed, was worth any amount of lies. Kay had no reason to disbelieve him and, even better, Matthew wasn't even being untruthful.

He probably did want to assist Petrocius with his work; he did see the benefits of poking around a woman with a strange disease, the knowledge he could gain from that.

Nate didn't care. He liked Matthew, but in the task of convincing Kayleigh to go to the Doctor, the man was just a tool. As long as he did what Nate wanted, Nathaniel was satisfied... and with a sigh he could read like a set of prompt cards, he knew it had made all the difference.

"Alright..." Kay said, unmistakable sound of defeat covered up instantly with her jutting chin and narrowed eyes. "But if that evil ol' sod tries bloody anything, I'll-"

"We both will." Nate said, more smoothly than he was used to. "But he won't. He's been paid up and he knows it won't go well for him. Matthew, me... you, all together."

She snorted and looked away, more mirth in her voice than she felt. Nate nearly cringed when he saw that hunted look in her eyes. The fear of something rushing fast towards her, avoidable in the past but now...

She didn't want to know. She knew something was wrong with her; she wasn't stupid, after all. But she thought her sheer hardiness could fight it off, batter it away, subsume the infection into her body and drown it. But every day... Nate was right. Little slower. Little weaker. Now that thing she'd forced from hr mind had become a comet, impossibly far once but destined to crash into her.

Given a name. Features. Given... time.

"Ma?"

The word was whispered; almost gasped. She looked up with frightened eyes and that big, flawed, stubborn, stupid, wonderful boy smiled down at her. Crushed her into a hug that hid her from Matthew; strangled the sound of the sob that escaped her throat.

"We'll find out. Then we'll know what to do."

"What if they can't?"

Nate shook his head and was thankful his back was to Matthew. All he could do was kiss the top of the little woman's head and force his eyes not to leak.

"Then we'll work with that, too..."

Five chimes later they were walking-slash-hobbling through the streets, the cripple and the harlot and the brawler. Nate's size and bulk cleared the path for his adopted mother with calls and curses and his big arm swinging wide. Crutches clacked and thumped onto the cobbles as Kay swung her way down the street, face grim and set.

They would know the truth. From something not quite a man about a thing the furthest from, but they would have it.

Nathaniel Ankah
Player

Words: 186484
Joined roleplay: May 24th, 2014, 3:52 am
Character sheet
Plotnotes

And So They Go

Postby Amora Jade on March 31st, 2015, 2:56 am

Congratulations, you've been awarded!

Matthew
Skills
  • Leadership +1
  • Rhetoric +3
  • Medicine +2
  • Persuasion +1
Lores
  • Nate's Mother is Dying from Fluid on her Lungs
  • Nate: Strikes a Wide Range of Impressions on People

Nathaniel
Please update your ledger to reflect the season change; once that is done send me a pm with a link to this thread and I'll release your grade! :)

If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to send me a private message! Also, please remember to edit your post requesting the grade as "Graded."
With love,
Miss Jade
Amora Jade
Pronounced Thief

Words: 165569
Joined roleplay: September 28th, 2011, 10:53 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)