Solo Performing the Rites of "Burial"

Ball finally 'buries' an old friend

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Performing the Rites of "Burial"

Postby Ball on June 3rd, 2014, 5:06 pm

1st of Summer, 514

It was time. The squire knew today was the day to handle a duty he had to held off for so long to be completed. His small hands curled up tightly into fists as his single eye squeezed tightly into what was obviously an expression of enduring sorrow and pain. Bowing his head Ball punched the trunk before him, it was property of the order given to the pycon for storage purposes and stored within were two things: money and duty. Money he had no need of today, today it was duty.

The duty was an easy task, but it held an emotional burden that was far more than the small shoulders the pycon could handle alone. Nestled between the thousands of mizas, dented and unused armour was a branch. This branch was wrapped in the tattered cloth of blue, a bolt of fabric that held the last memories of his friend, his brother in arms... His liege lord. Both hands unfolded themselves from their clenched fists and with numbness that burrowed deeply in his being Ball threw the simple locking mechanism and pushed the lid upward. Using his whole being to force it up the Pycon had to climb the trunk's front wall before he succeeded in pushing the lid onto the bunk he called a bed.

There it laid buried amongst the journey he had embarked on so many years ago. For you I have embarked on this self-crafted journey of honor and duty. I hoped and prayed that you would return. That I can return this bolt of cloth to you once again. Rise it high and proudly as I did in that clearing. Blind loyalty – You asked me to not question the actions. It wasn't my place. Leaning down the Pycon tugged hard on the rough stick, not a branch anymore. The rustling of fabric came with and Ball hauled the whole package from his trunk. Gingerly the squire slide it onto his bunk and paused as his stared at it.

I questioned. I protected a supposed enemy of Sylir. You yielded though. You yielded to me. You had no reason to, yet you did. Looking down at the floor beside trunk and bunk Ball's trusty mount stood stoic, it knew what was going on, and have stood in attention, waiting obediently for what was to come.

The banner was blue, wound so that the stitched face was within. Dirt, grass stains, bits of dog hair, and what Ball could imagine was blood and sea salts as well had left their reminders on the fabric. The hemp rope the squire used to secure it to the branch and ultimately his mount was fraying and the thin bits were sticking themselves into the banner. I swore to Sylir I would finish what I have started. Honoring my promise to you. Dropping the roll onto his mount's rump the Pycon followed it and quickly tied it down, using the rope to form a makeshift harness around the hind legs of his dog.

It clearly wasn't comfortable for the dog, but it didn't impede in it's range of motions and therefore the squire wasn't going to adjust or remove the banner until they arrived on site. Once more climbing the side wall of his trunk the pycon found himself falling into the pools of gold that were his. Shoving several dozen of the coins into his mouth and swallowing the Pycon could feel the weight of them adding to his already considerable mass. He needed paint, a long sword, a cart, and some hay. Climbing out of his trunk, the pycon sat on the lip for a second, one hand gripping the lid's edge as he slide off the trunk and onto his dog's back. Pulling the lid down Ball released his grip on the edge just as it was nearing closing and Ball could feel his dog buckling slightly under his weight but was able to quickly regain his posture and allow for Ball to move into position.

Sliding into position at the base of Imass's neck Ball directed the dog to leave the dorms of the squires and head down to the basement, the squire needed supplies first.

I have been thinking of a good place to perform the rites, yet I can not do that easily. So I have decided on doing something a bit different.

Created goes to EuthisaImage
Avatar CreditsMy lovely Avatar was drawn and created by the most awesome Nivel

Graders Please Note :
As Ball is getting closer and closer to maxing out Pyken as a skill, I would like to request that in places where Ball is not doing enough to constitute Pyken XP if Pyken technique lores could be issued instead.

Examples of proper XP level for Pyken would be: Ball developing or refining his technique by adding new thing against an actual moving target, not a dummy.

The use of basic skills alone are not enough to accomplish XP at Ball's current level of Pyken.

Thank you.

I will be handling all Ball related posts on Mondays @ 1800 my time *
Ball
Ser Ball -- Pycon Knight of Syliras

Words: 460478
Joined roleplay: January 31st, 2012, 4:52 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Ball on June 12th, 2014, 6:54 pm

It wasn't a long trip, it was one though that Ball wasn't looking forward to doing again, the last time resulted in some problematic outcomes he had no recollection of and the squire was determined to not have that happen again. Imass stepped over the threshold of the Bazaar without hesitation, his coin laden rider hesitant about being within the marketplace. Once over that threshold though Ball had no choice to be here, he had purchases to make and money to give for said purchases.

Honoring the life of a fallen brother. Not the squandering of coin on some bar wench. Remember that squire. Ball sighed and nodded to himself as he found himself looking for first a paint or artist booth, the squire had a peculiar list of items he needed and the first was paint, it had to be a deep shade of blue, like the sky at night. The first stall he came upon was nothing but brushes and palettes, nothing that held his interest and the squire went on to the next. This stall contained paints, but they were of the watery variety and surely wouldn't hold the tests of time and weather. And therefore not what I am looking for./

The final stall of art supplies contained paints of various shades and types. It was here that Ball found a bundle of sticks known as ink sticks, these sticks were apparently paint that the user could either draw with or melt them down and use them as paint was meant to be used. The sticks had the shade the pycon was looking for and pointing towards one he nodded, “One bundle please.” When the vendor spoke the answer Ball nodded and coughed several times rather hard before reaching up and pulling out the required three gold mizas he was asked to produce.

Exchanging gold for blue sticks of paint was the first of several expenses he had planned to have before his time in the bazaar was complete and he could move on. Going to need another item before I head off apparently than I expected. A tin cup.

Sliding his bundle of paint sticks so they were held down between Imass's rump and the banner he was carrying Ball turned from that stall to the next one that would contain the items he searched for. It was several stalls down, a general store sort of stall it appeared.

Utensils, tools, cups, small bags of rice and grains, flours, and assorted jams and jellies were lined up neatly. The ropes for sale were coiled, marked as to what they were and found resting on a heavy nail hammered into the stall's posts.

“I'll take a coil of hemp rope please and one of those smaller tin cups there.” He pointed to a six ounce tin cup. Price was given and Ball gladly paid the saleswomen her dues.

Four gold and half a silver thus far. He frowned, with rope draped over banner and cup wedged into place between dog rump and banner Ball decided he had a few more items to pick up and he saw the place to locate them both.

Turning dog in that direction Ball nudged him onwards, one last stall, two last items.

Graders Please Note :
As Ball is getting closer and closer to maxing out Pyken as a skill, I would like to request that in places where Ball is not doing enough to constitute Pyken XP if Pyken technique lores could be issued instead.

Examples of proper XP level for Pyken would be: Ball developing or refining his technique by adding new thing against an actual moving target, not a dummy.

The use of basic skills alone are not enough to accomplish XP at Ball's current level of Pyken.

Thank you.

Ball

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Ball on June 12th, 2014, 7:17 pm

The last stall Ball stopped before held mostly children toys, but there were two things that Ball saw from a distance that would work well. Wooden and sturdy they would do well. “I will take a pole and one of your wooden long swords there friend.” There was a look of skeptical amusement on the vendor's face as Ball looked at the man, “I think ya are in the wrong place clay man. I think ya want that stall over there.” The stall vendor pointed across the way at the miniature doll stall and the smirk on his face told Ball that he was asking for a beating.

Eye narrowed Ball stood up tall on his dog's mount, and motioned for the man to come closer. If the man was observant enough he would see the trace discoloration of pink blossoming in the middle of his body, just below his mouth. Relax Ball, this man is just a fool. Just get what you came for, pay this ignorant vendor and be on your way.

“I asked for a pole and one of your long swords, sir. Don't make me ask again, else I will call the knights to handle your ignorance and bigotry.” The vendor leaned forward as he was directed and once more pointed at the stall, “I understand what you are asking for. Yet I feel with your stature sir that the products you are wanting are over there.” Ball narrowed his one eye and clenched teeth tightly together.

“I warned you I was going to call the knights over to handle this. Sadly I never said which knight...” Ball pushed the man's face hard out of the way and jumped onto the stall's counter top, “Now, surrender the goods I asked for, I will pay you handsomely before I take my small foot and shove it up your nose and out between your eyeballs you fool. Or so help the gods that I hold my oath as a squire in the order that I play nice and move along... Sadly... I doubt that one.” The pink was flowing a bit more, Ball's vision was taking on a tinge of pink.

The man gulped and nodded, “Yes yes... Just please... Don't hurt my nose.” Even though there was sarcasm in those words the man pushed the sword and pole towards Ball, “Four gold for the sword, two silvers for the pole.” Ball nodded and coughed up the man's money sliding sword and pole into place on dog's rump, the pole stuck out a bit too far though. Never mind that Turning back to the vendor Ball growled, “Good day sir.”

Putting himself back into place on his mount Ball turned mount and materials about face and started out of the marketplace.

End Results of Shopping Trip, Prices rounded upInk Sticks (10) = 3gm
Wooden Practice Longsword = 4gm
hemp rope (50') = 1gm
pole (10') = 2sm
tin cup 6oz = 5 cm

Total: 8gm 2sm 5cm

Graders Please Note :

Thank you.

Ball

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Ball on June 12th, 2014, 7:33 pm

A chime and a half later, Imass was trotting his way out the gates of the fortress city heading in the direction of the outpost. Even though it wasn't that long ago that Ball had left the food supplier and outlying border post the pycon and mount were heading that way once again. Yet this time it was for a personal reason, last time was for honor and duty. Personal honor and duty are still honor and duty. the squire had to remind himself once again as he nudged the dog to go faster, he wanted to make it to the Outpost before nightfall so he could handle the start of his most important task.

Four Bells Later

Tired and yet awake both squire and dog made it to the outpost pretty dusty and still within daylight. The guards at the gates knew the squire and dog from his extended stay the season prior and didn't ask the reason of the pole and wooden sword, instead he asked why Ball was back so soon, the reply was short and tense, “Personal.” And the squire found himself once more in the outpost, but he wasn't planning on remaining there for long, he nudged the dog into a fast trot as the squire led him out into the fields of Sylira. Passing farmers, and patrolling knights Ball and Imass passed fields of corn and wheat. It wasn't long though that Ball found the abandoned and lonely scarecrow surrounded by crows, both dead and a live, as well as the plucked remains of it's field.

Stopping before the man-made man of wood and straw Ball smiled, “Hello old friend. I see the pests haven't learned their lesson eh?” When Ball hopped from Imass's back he started removing his purchases and with hands of clay the squire made a small circle in the dirt and using some of the wood and dry bits of straw that laid around the man made creation he created a small fire, striking flint and steel to create spark.

Once the fire was lit he placed cup and the sticks within and waited for them to melt. Meanwhile Ball turned his attention to the scarecrow and nodded. “Yes.” He turned back to the banner still rolled up on his dog's back, “Yes yes...”

Small bit of moisture trickled down from his eye and rolled its way down the left of his mouth and dropped to the ground, “Here will work.” He nodded as yet another moisture droplet welled up and flowed freely.

Graders Please Note :

Thank you.

Ball

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Ball on June 16th, 2014, 6:44 pm

As the paint melted Ball turned his attention to the actual scarecrow itself, taking a hold of the previously purchases coil of rope Ball started uncoiling it, taking mental estimations of lengths required and at the length of about three feet Ball chewed at the fibers. The rope tasted like dry grass as he gnawed through the fibrous mass before it tore apart and Ball dropped the tattered end of the coil. Dragging the three inch length of rope to the scarecrow he tossed it up so it hung on the scarecrow's shoulder before he returned to his dog.

“Easy boy.” He muttered as he dragged the pole over to the man made field defender and leaned it against the defender's body. Looking up at both Ball noticed that the scarecrow and the pole were still tilting at an angle and Ball knew he needed to fix that issue, but first he needed to anchor the pole into place. Climbing up the body and pole of the scarecrow he stood on the dummy's head as he picked up the end of the pole.

Taking a deep breathe Ball pushed off the dummy's head and once he and the pole straigthened out Ball drove his whole weight into the pole's top end, effectively pushing the pole down into the ground. The pycon repeatedly pushed down, driving the pole down slowly and efficiently.

Several chimes the pycon squire found himself sitting on the dirt with the pole to his back pointing straight up into the air. Liege Lord, I honor your existence as a defender of the poor, as a defender of justice. You are still a knight and your duty and honor still remain. He stood, looking at the man made scarecrow before he sighed and went to his dog, the poor bugger was panting heavily in the heat of the day.

Removing the remaining bundles of materials on Imass's back he commanded his mount to go find some shade and drink. With that done Ball turned to the scarecrow and dragged the longsword over he forced himself to jump as far as he could to reach the arm of the dummy. It was a hard task, while still holding onto the sword, yet he just managed to grab hold of the arm and dragged the sword into place. Using the three foot length of rope the squire tied the sword into place. With this sword I give this defender a weapon to protect and defend.

Dropping back down the squire panted a bit and looked up at the scarecrow with sword and the pole. Liege Lord. You may not be here in person, but you are here in spirit. Your strength I ask to lend to this scarecrow. Your Honor I ask of you to give to this defender. Moisture rolled down his face, coursing around the upper ridge of his lip and then dropping off his body to the ground below.

The paint was now melted and Ball moved the cup off the heat before he sighed. With no paintbrush the clayman didn't think through what he required from the bazaar entirely. Looking up at the face he nodded and tipped himself into the blue pigment.

Twirling and twisting through the ink Ball coated himself in the blue paint before he pulled himself out and then without a pause continued his pull into a pushing thrust to propel him hard into the air, as he reached his target (the scarecrow's face) he shifted his body into a hand shape, four long finger shapes and a thumb, he smacked himself into place and then allowed himself to fall backwards, fingertips first.

Landing on the ground with a heavy plop the pycon rolled and rolled, pulling himself in and around the remaining blue pigment. As brown earthen clay replaced blue paint the squire found himself getting dizzy and had to rest.

It didn't take long after his rest to restore his original color and remove all visible blue from his body. With this ink I give you sight. He paused in silence.

With this ink I give you color.

A whimper rippled from his mouth. Blue is the color of the River from which your soul resides. Blue is the color of the world at rest. Blue...

Tears, fully formed now, flowed freely down his face, “Blue is the color of my emotional state.”

Graders Please Note :

Thank you.

Ball

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Ball on June 30th, 2014, 7:46 pm

Shaking his head and wiping the tears from his face, for that is what they truly were, Ball stood tall, the knight-scarecrow was now a knight in name and in Ball's case it was an honor to see this man made structure carry on the duties of his former patron knight and brother in arms. Grabbing a hold of the banner that now laid on the floor Ball dragged it to the post he had planted by his body weight and gravity into the ground behind the scarecrow. It was the final piece needed to complete this monument of honor. Using the existing rope that wrapped the banner around the stick Ball started the near impossible task for scaling the pole while pulling the banner along with him.

Getting the banner up to where he needed it to be Ball had to leverage it up by throwing himself back to the ground while holding the rope that was attached to it. Once the banner was in the correct location in regards to the pole Ball swung his body to the pole and tied off the rope as tightly as possible. Stepping back Ball turned back to look at the scarecrow and the banner that was still rolled up tightly. The angle of the structure was perfectly leaning back towards the banner. A sigh. “Your banner shall reign forever within this field. By my word I swear to the gods and to your Liege Lord your banner shall remain.”

Stepping forward Ball once more climbed the scarecrow and when he was in line with the knot that held the banner's roll he reached for it and tugged it hard.

Unfurling the banner revealed it's battle worn fabric. Blood, dirt, travel stains, sea waters and salts all graced the deep blue fabric. Still visible in the middle of the banner was the right white emblem of the knight's order. The ornately embroidered stylized tree, the very symbol of the order, was visible for all to see. Light against the dark blue. Standing back from the banner and “knight” Ball knelt to his knees before it. “Sylir, may your gaze of peace aid this defender as you see fit. Tyveth lend him your ability to attest the honor he now must uphold. Eyris grant him the ability to know right from wrong.” Ball whimpered and sighed.

Standing from his kneeling the squire sobbed silently as he turned from the “knight”.

“Honor him fully.” He whispered over his shoulder as he started back towards the outpost and then home..

Graders Please Note :

Thank you.

Ball

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Nightmare on August 12th, 2014, 9:22 am

Ball :
Skills Amount
Climbing +2
Animal Husbandry +1
Riding: Dog +5
Negotiation +1
Intimidation +1
Persuasion +1
Endurance +1
Mathematics +1
Construction +1
Acrobatics +1

Lore
Keeping a promise to Leige Lord
Arming a scarecrow in honor of Liege Lord
Death is Final

Loot
+10 blue paint sticks (some left over maybe?)
+6 oz tin cup
+1 upgraded scarecrow monument to Imass
-8 GM, 2 SM 5 CM

Additional Comments: How sad, very moving. Good job.

Please PM me if you have any questions or concerns.
If you have an concerns, questions or problems please PM me right away. I am here to assist and can usually get a reply within a day or two if not sooner.
If you haven't gotten a response from me within five days, please PM me again!
Nightmare
The part of you that you always fear

Words: 254197
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2014, 11:45 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)