Closed [Shane's Auristic Services] Curiosity?

Arch goes for an aura reading in a new shop, owned by Shane!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Shane's Auristic Services] Curiosity?

Postby Archailist on June 18th, 2014, 4:59 pm

17th of Summer, 514.

Arch had been drilled to understand that as a knight, it would be his duty to protect the city. And he wouldn't be able to protect the city if he didn't spend some time walking around it, getting to know the various shops inside of it, and around it. He wouldn't be able to solve disputes if he didn't have the occasional talk here and there with the various commoners scattered about the place, and the merchants and whatnot. However, contrary to the advice that Ser Iros had given the squirrel, he wasn't going to do it on the back of his riding-dog. It seemed like it would only give rise to more humiliation - and the last thing that the squirrel needed, out of everything he'd gone through so far, was to be laughed at by the very people he was supposed to be protecting. Which was why he wouldn't wear armour - the stuff just made him look bulky and strange - and why he wouldn't wear his dog, or carry weapons with him on his patrols. No no no. The squirrel hopped between the rooftops of the various buildings, and stopped to negotiate occasionally with the few knights that spotted him from the high walls cresting most of the districts. There were scarce few areas that the knights couldn't see, after all, but from their high places above, there was little they could do if things got serious but shout down at them. The squirrel had the advantage.

After all, he had spent so long traversing the many great red stone buildings of Nyka that he knew all the different ways to travel between rooftops. It would still take some getting used to, these streets and these rooftops. But he had a long, long time to figure all of that mess out before he had to really make it a factor of his life. For now, he was free to roam around one of the best districts for patrolling. The Nettle District, just outside the front gates and home to the majority of shops that had opened up in the past few seasons, and some spanning much, much older. Various commoners were wandering about the place at this time of day, not wanting to get cooped up in their houses - or just setting up their own shops. He could remember most of them from his childhood, when he could spend countless bells simply running around the store fronts, looking inside. Wondering what it would be like one day, when he got his own suit of armour and led the Syliran Knights into great battles for heroic conquest over the various creatures of the deep that would threaten the land.

Of course, now he saw them all in different lights. The Rearing Stallion would just be another source of drunken violence on the later nights, and where the various odd smells that flowed out of Sensual Smells had once left the squirrel drunk and giddy, they now only clouded his mind and made him cough from the alien, and in some cases simply foul odors. It'd been a while since he'd walked down these streets. Everything fell so much different from the last seasons - or maybe it was just the squirrel himself that had changed on his journey. No matter - he'd get back to his old self, soon enough.

One thing that definitely caught his eye though, was a shop he could not remember from before. The more he stared at it, the less he understood. Until he knew that he had to investigate the place. A quick hop was all it took and the squirrel turned on the balls of his feet and jumped off the side of the roof of the Wildwood Music shop; of course his paws kept a firm grip on the ledge, so that he didn't simply drop down to his death. Rather, his lower body and hips continued right over the squirrels own head, while his upper body remained firmly attached to the roof. When he finally let go, his feet were beneath him, rather than above - so when they touched the hard cobblestone streets, all he needed to do was roll quickly to break the momentum and stop his body from splattering like a big, clay pancake and he was fine. Goodness knew how he'd ever survived the streets before he'd learned Acrobatics. After he'd made his way down to street-level, all he needed to do was make a short sprint right across the street, while evading the few commoners and merchants on their daily walks through the city on the rather blistering Summer's day, before pushing open the heavy door to Shane's Auristic Services.
Archailist
And the potter said unto the clay, BE WARE...

Words: 942771
Joined roleplay: November 28th, 2013, 8:20 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Shane Wallsly on June 18th, 2014, 8:01 pm

Shane still couldn't believe it. A business to call his own. It wasn't much - Shane looked around the small, sparsely decorated office – but it was definitely something. It was nice to be his own boss. Nobody shouted at him or told him what to do. He could take out Norman whenever he liked and he got to keep all the profits. Well... He had to pay off the Knights of course.

Business was slow today and that kind of worried him. He'd actually been quite busy since he opened. He supposed people were curious about magic in general or perhaps just about something new. Shops tended to be open for years and years in Syliras so new shops were something strange and interesting to the common folk. Of course if they wanted knew they could go to the Bazaar where travelling traders often made their stops.

Shane looked up as the door opened. He stood as well, almost as if by reflex, and said in as welcoming a tone as he could “Welcome, my friend, to Shane's Auristic Services; we see, you see. I'm Shane!” Shane's welcoming asmile faltered a bit into a frown at that motto. He'd been trying new ones out the past few days but he just couldn't find the right one. 'We see, you see' was definitely the worst so far that was for sure.

Shane noticed then that there was no-one at the door. Shane frowned and looked about. He spotted a squirrel? Wait, it was no squirrel it's colours were oafish as if it were some horrific mockery of a squirrel. Shane couldn't hide his confusion or his curiosity. “Oh, hello, what are you?”

Credit to Skerry
Group Threads: 1/3

ImageImageImage

Clerk at Mystic Eye Fortune Telling
Shane Wallsly
Success Is The Only Option

Words: 284445
Joined roleplay: September 30th, 2013, 9:10 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)

Postby Archailist on June 19th, 2014, 4:09 pm

My Words | Your Words | My Thoughts

He should have been used to numerous people not even understanding his species, let alone looking past that. They rarely did - although, who knew what would happen with time. For now, he could only sigh as he stepped into the shop and let the door swing closed behind him. "I'm a Pycon! Archailist is the name. And... are you Shane? Or his son?" He couldn't often tell from these shop signs whether they had any significance to the person, or whether it was just something colourful thought up to attract various people. The place couldn't really be called colourful but it had a comforting air to it - small, but well-tended and tidy, even if there weren't many things out and about. Somewhere that he would be proud to call his own, and the thought made him smile just a little. At least until he saw the dog, Norman, lying in the corner of the room. He had a dog of his own, that he rode and cared for... but there was always a bit of anxiety when he saw other dogs. They were big, and they sometimes mistook the smallest of the Pycons for walking chew-toys.

"Erm.. anyway. Just checking in, haha, trying out the new shops. Didn't recognize this one.. I'd hate to intrude, but I was wondering how long you'd been around." It was more a sense of curiosity that fuelled the squirrel s he ventured deeper into the small office - that was actually quite large, given the diminutive height of the clay squirrel wandering about. He'd not have much trouble getting onto one of the comfortable-looking padded chairs but instead he begun to walk about the room, from one wall to the other, and all around the front of the desk. Not looking for anything in particular, just... inspecting. He wanted to know more than just what they were selling, he wanted to see everything. Just in case they were dealing with yet another shady dealer that had a few things running on the side. Although it was sparsely-decorated there seemed to be few things of ridiculous value. Nothing that would suggest a ridiculous amount of income being stored away in items. Which was good enough for the squirrel, really. It looked like a nice, honest place. Good!

"And also, I was wondering what it was you did here. Auristics isn't some kind of perfume, is it?" He'd never come across one of the magics before. Most of the time, he saw people changing into beasts and thought it magic - and a few other oddities as well. He didn't know any of the names for such things but he knew they existed, at least, because he'd seen them and heard of the mage-squires whisper of them. It wasn't important to the Pycon in the end, sinc he wasn't a mage-squire, and neither was he a mage. Just an average Pycon squire. Didn't mean he couldn't show any interests in particular areas
Archailist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Shane Wallsly on June 20th, 2014, 2:40 pm

Pycon... Pycon, pycon, pycon... Shane had never heard of them tyhough he was intensely curious to know more. On closer inspection the squirelly speaker semed almost to be made from painted pottery. Of course it was more flexible than pottery. Pottery would be too stiff to walk on it's own. Maybe it was just clay. Clay that looked like it had been fired in the kiln but acted and moved like it had not.

“I am Shane Wallsly; the one and only. Nice to meet you, Archailist, and I am very sorry if it was rude of me to ask your species. I have never seen or heard of one such as you and I have an insatiably curious spirit.” Shane apologised realising that he might take offense if someone had asked him seomthing like that.

Norman hadn't moved from where he lay but his head was up in the air and his nose was sniffing the air suspiciously. After a few moments the dog seemed to let out a sigh and rested his head in his hands again. Norman didn't seem interested by the creature at all.

“The shop's not been up and running long. Just this season.” Shane sat down at his desk. “Please, take a seat or, if you'd prefer, maybe you can just sit on the desk so we are at equal eye level.” Shane offered politely.

Shane chuckled when he asked if Auristics wa a perfume. “Certainly not, Archailist, certainly not. Auristics is a discipline of personal magic that some say was a gift from the God Avalis herself. It is a magic that allows me to see deep into the soul of people, animals, things. The purpose of this business is that I can find things within yourself that you may have lost or look within another to deem if he is trustworthy. I can even check to see if an item is cursed by harmful magic.” Shane was exaggerating his powers a bit but he found it helped to do so in front of people who had no clue about the magic. It lent him an air of power and legitimacy. “Would you like a reading? They are quick and cost only five gold mizas. I might find a part of you that you never knew existed.”

Credit to Skerry

ImageImageImage

Shane Wallsly

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Archailist on June 20th, 2014, 4:04 pm

The squirrel only needed to wave his paw in acknowledgement. He'd gone through the process so many times, explaining his species. Occasionally being forced to explain why his species was made, and who by - even what they were. Some were foolish enough to claim, falsely, that they were the product of some failed experiment. And yet they could only wonder who had made them, the silly humans. The Pycons knew who had made them. Did the humans?

More important than his species was the shop. Once again, he had to look closely at it to try and remember what had even existed in the same spot before the new shop had been opened. And he had to wonder how the man had manged to afford such a place. Shane wasn't the only one with an insatiable curiosity - if anything, Archailists was truly insatiable. He couldn't stop asking questions and making presumptions until he knew everything about the entire Mizahar and beyond that he could see, and even then, there were the other things that lay beyond. The creatures deep within the Aperture, and the wonders that lay beyond consciousness. Why only question the world that they could see and feel, where there was so much more, after all?

"Personal magic, you say... hmm." There was no reason to dabble in the stuff himself. It wouldn't make him a better knight - but it didn't mean he couldn't pay another person to perform the magic for him, and therefore take the added risks and consequences associated with it. Five Miza's seemed a perfectly appropriate price after all - and coincidentally, it was about as much as the squirrel could carry by himself. One often misinterpreted the size of Miza's when the body carrying them was barely a few inches in height, if that. Each one became a back-pack to carry through an entire city - if they could find a way to attach two of them, he could practice body-building with a pair of Miza's and nothing more. "I don't see why I shouldn't try it. Although.. hah, I doubt you'll be able to find a part of me that I don't know about. A squire must know everything about himself if he is to learn everything about his enemy." That wasn't something that Ser Iros had taught him but it still sounded like something an elder knight would tell his squire.

"Especially a Pycon-squire. How else would I be able to get anything done?" The second part was an indirect quote from Hammer Fist, the Pycon often found around the Fighting Pits. After all, she trained the squirrel more than his patron did. Not that Shane needed to know any of that as the squirrel nimbly hopped up onto the chair, and from there made a sharp turn and hopped again onto the counter. Probably a bit quicker than one would expect from a tiny squirrel with absolutely no muscle in his body, but he'd had a lot of time to perfect himself in the ways of acrobatics. One could only shudder at the thought of what it would be like if they couldn't climb high spaces or jump long gaps when they were so small - life would be near-impossible, if even that. He pitied those that couldn't move as quickly as he, for they would never understand the joys of using peoples heads as stepping-stones to traverse large crowds. Or roofs of cities to cross busy streets.

Soon enough, the squirrel deposited five gold Miza's from the pack that he'd slung over his back. "But, that doesn't mean I won't encourage you to try it anyway. Haha, might be fun, after all." The squirrel expected lots of fire and flashy colourful lights from a magic show.
Archailist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Shane Wallsly on June 20th, 2014, 6:17 pm

The pycon seemed rather interested but, at the same time, sceptical. Something he said piqued Shane's interest. Something that gave him an idea. 'A squire must know everything about himself if he is to learn anything abou the enemy.' This told him two interesting things. He was a squire which Shane found very odd. I mean what if he became a Knight. What would he do? Kill criminals ankles? Shred up their calcaneal tendon*? The second, most interesting thing was that this Archailist supposedly knew all about himself and this meant he must know all about the race generally. Maybe he knew things about pycons that even other pycons didn't know. Shane's curiosity was possibly bubbling at the thought.

“You know, Archailist, I am of the opinion that learning is something we should never stop doing and I am quite frankly bursting at the seams to know all about Pycons. You seem like such an interesting race in comparison to the others around here.” Shane hoped flattery would warm the little squirrel up to him. “I was wondering, and this might sound odd to you, but I was wondering if I could ask you a bit more about your race. It's not every day I get a chance to learn about a race I've never encountered before. If you give me your word as a squire to answer truthfully and without leaving details out I will give you a free reading in exchange. Does that sound like something you would agree to?”

Shane didn't know how complex Pycons were or how much Archailist really knew about his own race but frankly any information was good information. Knowledge was power after all and you never know when even the most remote amount of power would be needed. Shane didn't quite mind forking over a free lesson in exhange. It wasn't like he was giving away a thing he had paid for already. This was a free resource technically. Everything was profit.

*I know Shane doesn't have any Medicine Lores or XP but this the official name of the achilles tendon and I didn't want to say that since there is no Achilles in Mizahar

Credit to Skerry

ImageImageImage

Shane Wallsly

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Archailist on June 20th, 2014, 6:40 pm

He tapped his own chin with one long, clay claw as he mulled over the offer. Not that there was much to even mull over. He could potentially save on Miza's just by telling the man a little bit about his culture - and then, not only would he profit economically by gaining a session of Auristics for free, but he would also be able to further the knowledge of the Pycon race. Perhaps, in the future, when more people became aware of the sheer power and determination that they all held, they would be a little less judgmental of them. Future Pycon squires would have less trouble than he, if he wasn't training them himself. And the world would be a better place. Of course, that would only be a fantasy, for now - something to work towards, once he'd become a knight or better. Once he'd become a respected member of the Order himself.

The flattery only sealed the deal. "Oh, you do go on. We're not all that interesting, you know. And we're not all that uncommon. All you'd need to do is look a little closer around the city to find others - like Hammer Fist, down at the Fighting Pits, and Street Rat around the corners." However, he didn't want to lose out on his opportunity of getting a free Auristics reading. "But sure, I'll tell you everything I know. Nothing held back - just ask away." The Pycon even begun puffing his chest out a little as he stood on the wooden counter, and his long and heavy tail waved back and forth behind him slowly. He could already imagine himself as a slightly-better image, with the sun creeping up behind and a flag depicting the Windoak and a squirrel sitting at the very top waving in the morning breeze. He often had such daydreams when he made various poses. It helped him imagine what he was working towards - the eventual legends that would go on through history, and the stories that would be written.

After all, it wasn't very often that a squirrel became a knight. They could only make fun for as long as it took for the squirrel to knock them on their feet - and they could only laugh as long as they still had their tongues still in their mouths.
Archailist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Shane Wallsly on July 1st, 2014, 11:57 am

17th of Summer, 514 AV

His words were cool but his actions were very enthusiastic; energetic almost. Shane wondered if this was a racial trait. Shane smiled anyhow as the squirrel agreed and even pointed him in the direction of some other pycons he seemed to have missed in his lifetime. “Deal, Archailist, let's shake on it.” Shane held out his hand to the squirrel. He would shake gingerly for the pycon seemed fragile like pottery but moldible like clay. Shane really couldn't tell which the squirrel took after most.

Once the hand shake was over Shane began his questioning. “Okay then. So, what material are you made of? It seems to me like clay but it looks like pottery which is clay after it has been put in a kiln and fired. Then again I know nothing at all about it. You could be made out of some flesh that just resembles the properties of clay.” Shane's brow furrowed and an intensely serious look came about him as he considered the possibilities as he awaited his answer.

“Do all of you look like squirrels? If not, are you all born into a random or specific shape? Can you change shape? How tall are the tallest pycons? How small the smallest? Hmmm...” It occurred to Shane then that he ought to get some parchment to record all of this down. However it would be very rude to ask him to wait while he ran out and bought some parchment. They'd be there all day too if Shane was the one who was writing. He'd have to rely on his memory. In all fairness his memory had never failed him before. Of all of the things he was terrible at recalling information was not one of them. He could access facts from his own mind quicker than he could pick up some notes he had previously written and decipher them. “Is there a community of Pycons within the City? Are there communities outside the cities? Are there cities just for Pycons and are they smaller than regular cities? Can human and other tall races come to your cities to stay? What is pycvon culture like? How do you reproduce?” Shane just kept asking questions as they occurred to him not quite realising that the string of questions probably sounded quite rude and that he wasn't really giving the pycon time to answer.

ImageImageImage

Shane Wallsly

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Archailist on July 1st, 2014, 4:38 pm

He wasn't really sure why the man offered to shake on a deal - since there really was little need for it. And besides, the fact that the mans hand was large enough to take the entire squirrel body into it... well, for simplicities sake, he just shook one of the fingers and that was that. His paw felt strangely warm to the touch - although that was most likely the effect of the animated clay moving about too much. The room was pretty hot so maybe it was just that. And, it didn't really seem to squish at all. Of course it would, under pressure.. but not under natural circumstances. It felt pretty solid for that time.

"Ahh, well. It's not really clay.. it's just like clay. I don't think there's really a name for it." After all, it had been gifted to them by Harameus, and although the humans and other races seemed to want to study each-other as much as possible.. the Pycons didn't. Alchemy was the work of the Gods, and that was all they knew. It was all they needed to know, in fact. Although their curiosity would always span the lengths of the known world.. there would always be one place that would remain at peace.

"No, no.. we aren't all squirrels. We're all born as.. well, blobs. And then we take our own shape. We can change it, but.. all I ever want to do is reach my true form. I don't know what it is.. but with more experience, I become closer to it. Like every Pycon. It's what my father wants.. and me. All of us." Just to prove that he could change shape, he disconnected his sight from the nexus and left it to wallow as he focused himself elsewhere. It took a while, of course, because he had to focus over the entire body and begin forcing the clay to move against its natural path. He didn't really know how the humans tried to explain the feeling that they could only guess.. but it was like bending fingers the wrong way, and keeping them that way. Slowly, his arms pushed into his body, and his legs, and his tail.. and all of his features faded away until he was a simple ball. And then he rolled around a little, just to prove he was in control, before a mouth formed at the front of the ball and he continued to speak.

"Tallest I've seen is Fist.. about a foot, or less. And the smallest.. I dunno, a few inches?" All the questions were coming too fast at that point but he tried to speak over the man just so that he could answer the questions being presented. "There aren't.. I mean no, there isn't in the city, outside.. yeah, there's outside the city some, they're called.. oh my." Now he was beginning to understand the views of a lot of those monks in Nyka. And a lot of people in Syliras as well, when he went off on one of his question rants. "There are.. well.. look, can you just stop for a second so that I can answer them, or can you.. I don't know, write them all down so that I can answer them one at a time without you constantly spewing them everywhere?" In the end, he reached his limit and he snapped just a little, but he quickly reeled it in afterwards and swallowed it down. "Just.. yeah. Please?" Surprisingly, he was still.. well, mostly calm. Although he did take the opportunity to reform back into his original shape. Perhaps it was creepy talking to a ball of clay, he didn't know.. but the reformation of his squirrel-like body was much faster than shaping into a ball.
Archailist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Shane Wallsly on July 19th, 2014, 3:28 pm

Day Season, Year

Warm? He had been expecting it to be inordinately cool or evwen perhaps a little moisturey. It was Summer however and clay was very reactive to heat. Shane was amazed to see the squirrel change shape before his very eyes. The notion of continual change in order to find the perfect version of yourself was eerily familiar to him. People were constantly changing. They were constantly adapting to new information. Most folk were doing the exact same thing as Pycons on a mental level rather than a physical one. Of course there were wuite a few out there constantly training their bodies to find that perfect version of their own self. In any case Shane didn't see a drastic difference in the Pycon's goals.

He mentally noted the answers. Tallest: A Foot. Smallest: Few Inches. Pycom Communities: Outside the City. However the Squireel, well blob now, became increasingly agitated and stopped answering his questions to tell him off for asking so many hurried questions. He suggested a solution Shane himself had even been mulling over but he lacked anything to write on and his writing was hard to read at best.

“Okay, I'm sorry. That was unfair. It's just...” He sighed trying to figure oput how best to explain it “I guess I'm just a scholar at heart, you know. I used to work in this dusty, old bookstore and until a couple of seasons ago I had only dreamed of one day owning my own business. To be the author of my own book as it were and I just get so excited when I learn about something new. The world can be so wonderful and here one is sitting in my shop. My shop which, in itself, is a wonder to me.” Shane had that faraway look in his eyes.

He snapped back to reality pretty quickly however. “Okay, I promise to be patient this time. Please tell me about Pycon Society. As much as your able, please.” Shane was speaking very carefully and trying his best to keep things simple. He hoped that would please the little fellow enough for him to continue.

ImageImageImage

Shane Wallsly

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Next