[Sea of Grass Location] Rattling Chains

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Wilderness of Cyphrus is an endless sea of tall grass that rolls just like the oceans themselves. Geysers kiss the sky with their steamy breath, and mysterious craters create microworlds all their own. But above all danger lives here in the tall grass in the form of fierce wild creatures; elegant serpents that swim through the land like whales through the ocean and fierce packs of glassbeaks that hunt in packs which are only kept at bay by fires. Traverse it carefully, with a guide if possible, for those that venture alone endanger themselves in countless ways.

Postby Puck on September 29th, 2010, 5:08 am

Rattling Chains

In Riverfall the word "slave" does not come up in casual conversation too often, unless the near taboo topic of Rattling Chains is somehow brought up. While it is well known that the city imports Kelvic slaves from Ravok, only those looking to purchase truly think on the notion. Out of sight, out of mind; the mindset regarding slavery is one of ignorance in the city. Indeed, many foreigners who arrive in the city are not even aware that slaves are present. However, for those looking to actively purchase, Rattling Chains is the only place to go. Located well outside the city and off the main road, this location is known to many but easily put out of mind regardless. Not even the Council of Elders takes an active role in governing the place, and as such running it has fallen to the hands of one man: Haev Provedan.

Nearly a half hour ride into the Sea of Grass alongside the Bluevein, one will see a fork in the road. The smaller, less worn path has a lone tree towering beside it. Hanging from the branches are many manacles and chains that clink against each other in the wind. The path is half overgrown, two wagon runs being the main indicator of its existence. Tall grass springs up alongside it for the first ten minutes as it leads you over a hill and into a large copse of trees.

Amongst the trees and underbrush the path weaves, leading travelers deeper until they finally happen upon the camp. Abandoned many years ago due to the exhaustion of its small gem stores, the Forivec Mine has since been occupied by Haev Provedan and his men. While their camp is clear of brush and trees, as soon as it ends they allow the forest to grow wild. It is also exceedingly ill advised to leave the path or camp.

Many ruts and trenches can be found in the large clearing, dotted with small ramshackle bridges and larger tents. The trenches can be anywhere from a three to eight feet deep, and can be wide enough to accommodate two men standing side to side. As such, the wooden boards that the slavers utilize as bridges are quite necessary. Several tents ring the perimeter of the camp, as well as a few on islands amongst the gullies. These tents harbor the men that Haev keeps on board to ensure his operation runs smoothly.

Near the northern edge of the camp can be found the entrance to the tunnels. A makeshift stairway leads down into the depths, metal rails running alongside it. Many pits and gouges can be found in the rough walls from the old miners, but few gems are to be had in the Forivec Mine anymore. While much older and slightly smaller than Coalinga, these mines are just as riddled with hidden areas and shafts and tunnels as the new establishment. This is where the camp keeps many of its slaves. Upon entrance to the camp, a slave is given a blanket, food, and water and then taken down to the caves. While Haev is not cruel to his cargo, neither is he overly generous. Over the years he has experimented with various foods and combinations to determine how to nourish his product while keeping his costs down. Indeed, many slaves under Haev's care find the care to be fine as long as they obey. Three times a week every captive present at Rattling Chains is removed from the cave and forced to go on a run with the mercenaries that patrol the camp---Provedan does not allow atrophy amongst those in his care.

While many Akalak choose to ignore the cave and its unwholesome occupants, quite a few will find themselves at the camp to purchase a slave. Most dealings are done with Haev Provedan himself, as the other slavers are simply raiders sent to fetch various cargo from the grasslands. As such, the head of the camp deals with everything from selling slaves to receiving the shipments from Ravok. While the slave master's disposition while doing business is not enough to prevent people from purchasing (as he currently has a monopoly), it often makes the process a little unnerving.

Rattling Chains acquires slaves under three pretenses: raids, orders, and general shipments. First of all, Riverfall pays Haev to ensure there is a steady stream of nubile Kelvics into the city. Second, Akalak looking for a specific type of slave can place an order--- though this takes significantly longer than the first method. Third, the slavers conduct raids of their own, collecting slaves from the Sea of Grass to mix with the purchased ones. The last type of slave provides the greatest profit, and as such they are often shown before the imported cargo.

As well as Haev Provedan, the camp also harbors the Drykas exile Caracatas. She is considered to be Provedan's lieutenant, and is in charge of acquiring cargo from the Sea of Grass as well as several other tasks.
Puck
Loving your Lazy Eye

Words: 143109
Joined roleplay: May 5th, 2010, 11:15 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Kavala on January 18th, 2011, 7:40 pm

TIMESTAMP: 1st of Winter, 510 AV
PURPOSE: Ordering Bloodbanes from Ravok

Kavala paused to speak to Haev a moment before she left with Descant. Now was as good of time as any to talk to him about some business she'd been meaning to conduct with him. She left Descant to get settled as she walked up and shook the slaver's hand. Kavala didn't like coming here, but it was her duty as a healer to make sure the Kelvics were well treated and any injuries they had were promptly seen too. It as her one major community service, or so she felt, to the population of Riverfall.

"Haev, I have one more piece of business with you. Since you make this trip and have shipments coming in almost every ten days, I know you have contacts in Ravok. I'd like you to import something special for me. Its not slaves, but it should be doable since you already have the route set up and all. I need you to bring me at least six bloodbane mares, ages three to five, that are good quality animals in superb health. I'd like them to be breeding stock and would prefer the color of black or gray if possible. I don't mind waiting a season for them if you can get me exactly what I want. I'll pay a premium price for them as well. I know they go for cheap in Ravok, but here I'd easily pay three hundred or more a mare if they are sound and fertile." Kavala said.

Haev thought it over a few minutes, glanced at Caracatas, who'd walked up in the mean time, and then nodded. "I'll do that, certainly, Kavala. But again, it will cost you. I can get them here and sell them to you for around three hundred a piece. I don't know how soon I can have them here, but towards the end of the season for certain. I'll send a message via my usual way to let my folks in Ravok know that we need a special order. And I'll send you a messenger when they get here if they don't arrive around the time you are scheduled to visit the kelvics." He added.

Kavala nodded, shook his hand and left with Descant in tow.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

TIMESTAMP: 90th of Winter, 510 AV
PURPOSE: Ordering Bloodbanes from Ravok

It was almost the end of Winter. The days were warmer and the entire staff of Sanctuary turned out to move six rather 'uncertain' mares home from Rattling Chains. The message had come earlier in the day and it had taken that long for Kavala to round up Aweston, Raiha, Akela, all the Kelvics, and whomever else was present to ride with her out onto the grass to collect the mares. Haev was true to his word. He brought six dappled gray bloodbane mares back with the latest shipment. They were muzzled and tethered away from the mine's other denizens. Kavala paid Haev in full, three hundred mizas a horse for a total of eighteen hundred mizas and then the group carefully moved the mares home.

The trip was taken slowly, carefully, with everyone helping.

The mares were the hope for the future, Kavala's big plans to breed a new race of horse for Riverfall who had yet to claim a breed all her own. She needed the bloodbane stock for their fierceness in battle and she hoped to couple it with intelligence and agility to form a superior horse large enough to carefully carry the Akalaks in their day to day dealings.

The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)