Closed The Steps We've Took

(Kreig) Ricky spends a bit of time recollecting his first visit spent here in Syliras and meets a stranger as well.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

The Steps We've Took

Postby Ricky Maze on June 28th, 2014, 9:11 pm

The Steps We've Took
Summer 35th 514 AV, 11th Bell

The Suvan Sea. It was a sight to behold when one would visit this place, the harbor that was by far an impressive attachment to the city of Syliras, yet even this place paled in comparison to the grandeur that made Zeltiva naturally feel at home. Ricky had thought he'd use his fishing gear he'd brought along, in turn hoping to not only restock some food supply for the trip home but in turn make a bit of extra coin for the journey home. Yet even so he still couldn't help but think back to the place that he called home, the memory of the sea in Mathew's Bay a genuinely far off dream from here.

Dressed in the same attire he'd worn for days now, the fisherman stood with hands in his pockets as he continued to watch the gentle waves lap over the surface of water as they caressed the Suvan shores. The outfit consisted of the old white vest that looked rugged and patchy in some areas, with the green linens that were heavily worn and faded from time and use. Odd how this was the very same outfit he wore several years ago, only today it wasn't to cross the sea to a foreign place like before. Nor was it with a furry companion that once traveled alongside him either, as time had already taken that from him as well. It was strange when he thought about it, how time seemed to just move on without an end. It all seemed easier back den, simpler now dat Oi t'ink 'bout it.

The idea couldn't be all the more truthful the more he dwelt on the concept. As he stood there watching the waters and thought more and more about how the past was like, he soon felt himself wanting to be home once more as the reminder he sought to find didn't seem to reside here. Zeltiva just had its own unique feel to it, or so he guessed it was anyways. The fact that watching the Suvan Sea only reminded him of what waited at home hardly helped, nor did it make it any easier to just dwell on things while they waited to prepare for the journey home. Why de petch did 'annah keep it secret from me? His thoughts trailed to the wonder with Hannah and how she delivered a letter to Lissa, who come to find out was Ricky's own little sister. This act had be done in secret, and come to find out Hannah did it as a favor for Burt. There was something else too, something she hid from him.

Yet... he felt as though he didn't want to know, and even though he felt this way he honestly just wanted to find some kind of thing to help keep him distracted. With a sigh and solemn kick of the tip of his shoe at the board of the docks, he took to looking around to see if he might find somebody to help in this regard. As far as he knew he hardly knew much of anything about Syliras, other than the fact Hannah was correct and the place felt rather stuffy. It certainly didn't smell like home that was for sure, either way when his eyes seemed to fall onto what looked to be a knight or city watch, he didn't know exactly the guy just looked to be some sort of authoritative figure. "Oy, yew dere." He called out to the lanky fellow in his approach. "Got a question fer ya, mind tellin' me 'bout Syliras some? What's yer city watch like 'ere?" These were questions to help him engage in conversation of course, as Ricky felt eager to learn a little more about Syliras and its culture.
Journal - Plotnotes - Announcement!
Scrapbook - Shop (Closed)- Vlogs
Credit goes to Fallon for allowing me to temper with her codings! :)
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Words: 2035002
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2011, 9:02 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

The Steps We've Took

Postby Kreig Messer on August 17th, 2014, 5:59 am

Kreig looked at the Suvan sea, Laviku's blue domain filled with wonderous creatures large and small. Kreig didn't much think about it as he stared into the horizon. His mind was preoccupied with other things however, thoughts if training nd thoughts of travel. Mostly the thoughts of travel, he'd been in Syliras for the over a year... or was it less? He really couldn't be certain, still he knew the feeling of constraint.... He just wantd to see more at the moment, wander lust and all that. He'd have to bring it hp with his Patron soon enough really.... maybe he could spend some times at Mythryn at the very least.

He sighed as he looked down at the lingsword hanging from his waste, a long with his old guantlets bck at the dorm, it was one of the few things from Sunberth that mattered to him. The Brawling Squire was dressed in his usual attire, a black shirt beneath a steel breastplate along with studded guantlets and armlets, a pair of grieves over white pants and a nice pair of leather boots. Over the top of his brown hair was his wide brimmed hat to protect him from the hard gaze of Syna's light.

hanging from his back thanks to a harness was his crossbow and quiver filled with bolts. The crossbow became a favored weapon of Kreig surprisingly enough, he wasn't much of a ranged fighter but the crossbow did wonders to change his mind about it....

He scratched at the back of his head then turned once he heard the sudden question from a gent that looked like he'd seen better days, a scarred appearance and worn out clothing telling him as much. Looking closer he could tell the man was more than that though, a good chance he was a saikor of sort ' Those gents usually dressed in rags like that' Kreig gathered it was because any good clothing would inevitably had that sea smell on it so there was really no point, practicallity over looking good he supposed. Even a captain of a merchant ship would probably dress in, while fine looking, relatively inexpensive attire just so their other clothing is still nice nd clean for dinner functions.

Kreig thought on his question for a tick or so, if the man asked about a city watch then it was a no brainer that he was either an outsider or some loon who lived ubder a rock; wisely he guessed it was the former " Syliras has no 'city watch' friend. At least not by your definition I'm guessing, everything in Sylieas and its territories are guarded by the knights and their squires. Its one of the reasons why Syliras is the safest city in the entire region" Kreig said a bit proudly.

" 'course, it helps that the city is pretty much a few big buildings a with thick wallss and an outer wall to protect them. The Knights are also the founders of the city, see? They built this city to last " Kreig waved his hand about to indicate the walls, the docks and everything else that belonged to the order

"Laws are strict but fair. The Knights are strict on it and not even members of their order can get away without veing caught, thank the gods for that." He chuckled, recalling the incident with a certain squire who thought he could get away with selling drugs. He brpught his arms together and tilted his head uncomfortably "An' I wont lie, it can get stuffy here, especially the knights but we mean well. Most of the city is literally in doors, You know? Shops, taverns an' everything. Kind of a nightmare for us in the knighthood really but it makes it easier to fight the odd criminal who thinks he can get away."

" I think I'm getting off topic a bit, you asked what they're like right? Well for the nost part they're a rightious lot, heart in the right place and they can be a little zealous bout it. Thabkfully when it comes to decisions they're rarely unfair. A good chunk of the order were kids when they started as squires so even a single generic knight has years of training behind them." He said thinking of all the good, and jerkish, squires and knight he'd met.

"myself I joined the order late in life, Y'see? still got a way to go before I'm even considered for knighthood but they treat me right" Kreig said, now just yanmering on and on about the order. He noticed it himself and decided it was probably time to stop there ".... And they're about 6 to 7 thousand of knights, so I like to think its ni exagerration that our city is the safest. ummm... Did I answer your question even a bit?" He asked sheepishly as he lowered his head apollogetically.

x
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

"You gents best be careful, I'm feelin' mighty rabid right now... and your the only ones around to bite"
Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Words: 883597
Joined roleplay: January 22nd, 2012, 7:55 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

The Steps We've Took

Postby Ricky Maze on August 18th, 2014, 4:48 am

The answer Ricky expected to receive had been a bit unorthodox compared to what people usually give, but that was to be expected given that this man turned out to be a part of this order he described.

De Syliran Knights eh? T'ey sound like de Wave Guard only.... stricter. He mused in thought as he considered what he'd just been told, seeing as how they kept watch within the city as well as the surrounding areas, they sounded like they had a lot of ground to cover. Hence why so many of them sounded so disciplined, devoted to a duty so very much the same as his own brethren at home shouldered. Bah! 'ere Oi am t'inkin 'bout 'ome again. He nearly frowned at the realization but his memory served better, as he was still engaged in the conversation that started to presently unfold between him and this squire of the knighthood.

"Aye, yew pretty much enlightened me on what it is yew all do." He answered humbly in regards to the timid question the man asked, a chuckle to follow as he offered a friendly smile just a moment afterwards. "As yew can no doubt tell Oi ain't really from 'ere, so Oi t'ought ye could tell me 'bout yer home a bit. Oi'm actually from Zeltiva as Oi came 'ere on important business, Oi'll admit dat given its cramped Oi'm still curious about dis place." He humored the squire with his arms crossed, he still held a friendly smile as he looked down at the man of course.

"Me name's Ricky, Oi serve as part o' de Wave Guard in Zeltiva... if ye've 'eard o' dem o' course." Now it was his turn to be a bit sheepish, but only because he seemed to forget there was more in the world than just Zeltiva and its city watch. Either way he was fully engaged in this conversation he now had with this man, and found himself all the more interested to learn what all he could before he would have to head back to the Traveler's Row.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

The Steps We've Took

Postby Kreig Messer on August 18th, 2014, 7:52 am

Wave Guard? Never heard of ‘em’ Kreig thought, he was about to say it to but instead said “[i] Can’t say I have friend, then I don’t really much know about the world. Only me hometown and me current are the things I know about” Kreig admitted, he barely knew a thing about the other parts of the world they lived. In day’s old he’d have been content to just know about Sunberth but now that he was part of the knights….. well, it would be an understatement to say he’d gained a bit of a curiosity. Kreig looked closer at the man now, noting that there was this air of discipline about him…. He’d be lying if he said it was like the knights, in that regard Kreig himself knew he couldn’t reach that sense, but Ricky here seemed to have something similar.

“I can understand the curiosity; I think the first time I was here though I was more chocking from being inside a town. Sunbirth wasn’t a pretty city, which I realize is an understatement, but at least you had open skies for the most part” He sighed, he then extended a hand to shake with the man “Name’s Kreig Messer, one of the oldest squires you’ll ever meet in this city. So if ye don’t mind me askin’ my friend, what kind of business brings you to this city of ours? It don’t look like tis official business, otherwise you’d be looking fancy even in yer off time I reckon?” Kreig then raised his hands apologetically and winced “Ack, sorry. None of me business, ye tend to get the habit of asking when dealing with new comers. Don’t want ‘em startin’ any trouble, I’m I right?” Still, Kreig couldn’t be too cautious…. He took the man at face value for the most part but when you want to be certain they won’t be starting any trouble then it helps to fish a bit of information out of them.
x
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

"You gents best be careful, I'm feelin' mighty rabid right now... and your the only ones around to bite"
Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

The Steps We've Took

Postby Ricky Maze on August 20th, 2014, 8:42 pm

With the reaction Kreig showed about hearing the name Wave Guard it didn't daunt nor surprise Ricky, instead he only gave a humble smile as he too knew how quite large the world seemed compared to the bastions these cities had become. Instead he agreed with the squire and said, "Den ye know more dan me, Oi only know Zeltiva an' dat's it." With the comment on Kreig being from Sunberth and having to get used to having 'less open skies', Ricky couldn't help but whole heartedly agree that definitely was something he had to get used to in his visit here.

"Good t' meet ya." Ricky humbly stated as they shook hands for a brief moment, when Kreig asked what sort of business brought him here, Ricky couldn't help but chuckle at how he should've expected that. It wasn't that the fisherman didn't want to talk about it, really it was just that Ricky thought to keep everything simple during his time here. Considering the past few days, he needed to try and keep a few things simple... lest he find out that the squire just so happens to be a brother as well. "Well, Oi've never been one t' dress so well fer one." He mused with hopes the joke might bring a laugh or grin out of the squire. "But me business 'ere was a personal matter, Oi needed t' visit Lady Sil'ria t' heal a life t'reatenin' condition Oi 'ad."

He figured that with the details being pretty basic and vague he needn't worry about the rest, the point of his trip had been made and everything else was just unnecessary detail at this point. "Now we're just restin' an' gettin' ready fer de long haul back t' Zeltiva." That extra bit was for both carrying on conversation as well as detailing why they haven't left yet, that is if it wasn't already explainable as to why they were still here and not back out on the road. T'ough Oi wonder what all Oi've missed back at home... He couldn't help but feel like something had started to happen in his absence, something he needed to be there for to put a stop to. He was after all present for both the Denvali Coup and then the Asylum Breakout, both were incidents that he definitely wouldn't have got through without his family there.

Oi wonder... He thought to himself if Syliras had gone through any sort of crisis like that, given that it was a city of peace he really didn't see any events like that unfolding here in the middle of the streets. Yet how he worded the question was by all means important, as Ricky wouldn't want to impose on the squire nor his order by asking the question in a wrong manner. "Dis is just a curiosity as Oi've learned in me time dat de Wave Guard does face troubling times as well, but 'as de Knights 'ad any problems wit' outside forces recently? Anythin threaten de peace dat de city offers its denizens by chance?" It definitely sounded out of the blue but as two men who worked hard to preserve the peace, Ricky felt sure Kreig could understand where he was coming from in asking this. It wasn't everyday one found that the world wanted to do anything possible, just to worm its way inside a sanctuary and topple it to the ground.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

The Steps We've Took

Postby Kreig Messer on August 20th, 2014, 9:16 pm

Kreig nodded to the man with a light chuckle, he could certainly understand why he would seek a healer in Syliras, especially since the brawler himself tended to get hurt far too frequently for anyone's liking. Considering the Opal order had a good presence in the city then it wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that Syliras has perhaps the best medical care in the region "Well I hope that's all sorted and yer feeling better my friend. I've had more than a fare share of wounds in my life that are life threatening, to be fair I think I attract them like bees to honey" Which was an understatement to the tenth degree.

Kreig than pondered momentarily on his new associates question about trouble, to be fair what he knew was what the citizens knew and any more hidden dangers were something the Knights knew and only for them to share. He sighed a bit then nodded "I'd be lying if I said we didn't have these often. We've had quite the number of incidents these past seasons. Arsonists, cannibal marauders, yukmen and many more my friend.... sad to say to keep the 'city of peace' peaceful we have to face a lot of things." He closed his eyes briefly then opened them again after taking a deep breath.

"As you can imagine and no doubt understand keeping the peace is no easy thing. Doubly so for the knighthood as we have to keep a constant watch within and without throughout our territorial boundaries" He then placed a hand on the pommel of his sword and tilted it slightly "If it weren't for our size and intense training regimens than I imagine we'd have fallen to our foes a long time ago."

feeling a bit uncomfortable about the subject he decided he should ask a question of his own "Speaking of training... does the...I'm sorry, 'Wave Guard' correct? Does the Wave Guard have training similar or as intense as the knights? I only ask because you seem to be the capable sort"
x
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

The Steps We've Took

Postby Ricky Maze on August 23rd, 2014, 10:23 pm

Ricky couldn't help but bear a grin when Kreig seemed to display a sense of understanding with the reason to come here, seeing as how he was a squire that worked hard to protect Syliras it was to be expected the fellow guardian endured harsh injuries in turn. When the question Ricky had asked came to be answered, the hope that Zeltiva didn't seem to be the only place with problems soon blossomed even more. Turmoil in his home was something Ricky lived with for quite a while now, almost every day or so it felt like anyways. He had to admit that he enjoyed having a bit of a break from the place even if he was sick of being away, yet at the same time he felt driven to be back to prevent further chaos from unfolding.

"Peace ain't exactly easy t' keep period mate, Oi know Zeltiva's had t' endure the Denvali's Coup 'afore de new year hit, an' just recently last season we 'ad a breakout at de asylum which allowed insane mages t' run loose." Given that he wasn't generally prone to indulge in the troubles his home had faced, he felt that it could be shared all the same since it seemed the norm for Kreig and him seemed to be defending the city from whatever threatened it. The funny part about it to Ricky, was that the threats never seemed to stop. Given that generally they came one right after another, it was actually interesting to think that they still stood proud figures, fit to carry out the duties that are heavily placed upon them with the job.

It was then Kreig seemed to ask about the Wave Guard's own personal training routine, which brought a good bit of mirth out of Ricky before he found a proper way to answer the question. "Believe me only de best o' us tend t' prove such dedication, our ranks 're no where near as strictly trained as yer lot." He admitted with a shrug of his shoulders. "Generally ye only need de basic skills a regular city guard would need, trainin wit' a weapon an' unarmed combat experience, along wit' a bit of shield practice as well. After a recruit has enough practice an' knows more 'bout de Wave Guard an' Zeltiva's laws thoroughly, next comes a swimming routine where dey practice swimmin fer a final test. If dey swim out t' a rock pretty good ways from de startin' point, den dey are made an official guardsman of de Wave Guard."

Ricky crossed his arms once more as he continued. "Most o' us 're only fisherman or sailor 'alf de time, occasionally we get a pretty good scholarly type from de University but not often. T'ose who stick roun' generally become veterans, only because we're devoted t' keepin' our fair city safe from de dangers o' de world." He had to admit he sounded a wee bit proud at the end of that, mainly due to the fact he could refer to himself as a veteran at this point. Though he still needed years of dedication to the guard in order to be a true veteran, as of right now he was only a promising potential with the rank of Sergeant. "Oi take it yew 'ave a pretty strict trainin' routine t' follow den? We lot must sound pretty laid back in comparison, aye?" Ricky joked with a slight grin on his face, a chuckle to follow as he focused on what Kreig might say next.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

The Steps We've Took

Postby Kreig Messer on August 24th, 2014, 8:03 am

Kreig listened as he explained the training of the Wave Guard, they sounded like a relaxed bunch… At least most of them it seems, with only a few taking the task of protecting their city seriously. The training itself in certain respects its similar to the Knights, though they were stricter when it came to the level of required skills to become a knight, Kreig didn’t know what the final test was either…. Though it seemed people were evaluated for it prior to taking the test. Overall the Wave Guard sounded like a casual force of volunteers rather than recruits with a vow to protect the city, Ricky seemed to be an exception with whomever are considered vets of the Guard.

Then his own question was returned to him in a way and Kreig couldn’t help but answer, it was only fair after all “ It certainly does, to be honest. Our training regimen is pretty much ‘wake up at the break of dawn and return in the evening tired and exhuasted’. We’re tought one melee weapon, tought to use a shield, a ranged weapon and how to ride a horse.” Kreig winced at the horse portion of his response, it was perhaps the one thing he’s having the most trouble with in his training currently “In general , how we train these skills is managed by our patrons, I suppose you could say they act like a Veteran Guard showing the new recruits the ropes? We’re also required to learn things about the gods of the order and about Syliras… In the end of our training I imagine they evaluate us and then give us a test of sort but how they do that is a mystery to me. As squires we’re part of the order, we’re one of them but we’re just not privy to everything” Kreig finally stopped to breathe as he turned to look at visiting guardsman with a wary smile.

“Yeah…in short its very strict. On the bright side if you complete your training successfully you’re a skilled warrior decked in Platemale, which is always a good deal in my opinion”
x
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

The Steps We've Took

Postby Ricky Maze on August 28th, 2014, 2:26 am

Ricky's eyebrows would rise and drop overtime in curious manners as he listened to Kreig describe how their training routines followed, intrigue present in his deep blue eyes as he could only wonder just how harsh of a lifestyle it seemed at first when one must've joined the order. Damn, its bad enough Oi and every ot'er guard 'ave t' work 'ard at what we do, but by de sound o' it dem knights 're far more dedicated t' t'eir own particular routines. His thoughts were only backed up with more and more facts of rigorous requirements that must be met, all in order to finally reach the earned title of "Knight" which all squires seemed to strive for.

Training from dawn to dusk, even then there was also the patrols they no doubt had to make. That and learning about their patron Deities, all so that they may one day come to face an assessment of evaluation. Now that was quite the tough lifestyle to live by, it made Ricky wonder just what exactly does a person do if they fail to become a knight. Did they have to go through more training? Did they have to attempt this final test again, or go through a different sort of test? There seemed to be a lot more to the knights than Ricky knew, and he could only surmise that with all these difficult requires the perks of being a knight had to be good somewhere. There was always pros and cons when it came to just about anything, becoming a knight surely wasn't any different about it either.

Ricky knew well enough some pros and cons about being a Wave Guard, none which he wanted to indulge in for the moment seeing as how he wasn't exactly home. Finally when Kreig finished with the statement of being a skilled warrior, Ricky laughed before he went into further complimenting such standards that had to be met in order to rise within the ranks. "Sounds pretty damn 'ard, Oi imagine ya must be a pretty tough guy at dis point." He complimented with a smirk. "All dat trainin' must be payin' off fer ya, t'ough in my opinion ye need more muscle. Protein 's good fer dat, Oi recommend fish really." His prodding was done so with a teasing sort of manner, a short snicker followed as he hoped to have amused Kreig just a bit.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

The Steps We've Took

Postby Kreig Messer on August 29th, 2014, 11:59 am

“Fish eh? I might try that” Kreig chuckled a bit as he shook his head at the man’s attempt of good humor. In truth the training helped in plenty of ways but he was still quite far off from being ready and he said as much “I’m okay with a blade and crossbow, but I’m not great at them” Kreig said as he rested his palm on the pommel of his longsword. It was true enough in any case; by knight standards he was only ‘good’ with two of his weapons and for him to be at least considered he’d need to be good with a shield and horse riding.

Ricky was also right about needing more muscle however and he wasn’t the only one who pointed it out to him, others being his own patron really. “I love some of the training, so its really not much of a hassle for me but admittedly….I love to let loose in my own way of fighting” Kreig let out a feral grin, thinking about his fists meeting the face of a random opponent. He let out a chuckle again as he scratched his chin.

“Before I held a sword my first weapons were my own fists, still a weapon I’m reliant upon to really. There is something about using one’s own two fists to do the deed that just makes it so much more… satisfying in a fight” He took a bit of a distance away from the man and through a straight hook straight hook into the air, it was a wild punch but the ferocity of its power was quite there, of course the guantlets certainly help in that regard.

Then came the sudden question “Hey….if you don’t mind it, how ‘bout you and I have a bit of a fight? There is a training ground free for civilian use if you’re up for it”

x
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Next