Open Qualifications (Ricky)

"Guards? Bandits? Both men with sharp tools and forceful natures, but seeking different currencies."

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Qualifications (Ricky)

Postby Nathaniel Ankah on July 10th, 2014, 10:57 pm

85th Day of Summer, 514AV
The Wave Guard Headquarters
11th Bell

Necessity, Nate pondered as he walked through the bustling streets, made a man do strange things. A season ago, if a man had told him of work available where he'd carry a weapon and enforce the law, well... the first part wouldn't have elicited much of a response. The second part he'd had had to have explained to him, and eventually it would have sunk into his Sunberthian head.

Laws: rules set in place to ensure relative peace and quietude. Such a concept wasn't so unbelievable, but in Sunberth, it was brute force and naked terror that wrote such edicts. Pursuit of power and accumulation of gold, ah, that was what a hundred tinpot warlords teeming in that cesspool would have pursued, and while crime was by nature chaotic, it was so much more profitable when organized.

The squat, imposing mound of stone and steel he stopped at, however, was representative of much... loftier goals.

"Wave Guard." He muttered to himself, grimacing at the words as much in disbelief as novelty. "They'll never believe this back in Sunset..."

Already he was noticing the uniformed men moving in and out, wearing weapons openly in a city where that was the exception, not the rule... and they, naturally, noticed him.

Six-and-a-half-feet tall and a third as wide, most of it muscle, packed into cheap, sturdy clothes... it was hard to miss someone like Nate. Like them, he wore his iron without any attempt to hide them. The heavy mace with the pitted, dented top. The kukri on his other hip, sheath positioned so he could wrench it free with either hand fast as a blink. But the look of him entire - the full ensemble, as it were - was probably making a few of them stop and scrutinize him with wary eyes.

Probably shouldn't tell them about the others. Yet.

The big man cleared his throat and rubbed his jaw, stubble scratching his palm. A light sheen of sweat still clung to him, both from the muggy morning and the efforts of his daily exercise. He smelled more of day-old beef stew than that, though. Student fare: one was not in a position to be choosey.

Enough waiting, he thought, taking a breath and marching steadily towards the gaping maw of the main entrance. You came here for a purpose. Speak your words, take your chance, and see if you're fit to be... lawful.

The inside wasn't what he expected. Nate had seen the lairs of gangs and syndicates before: taverns crossed with bawdy houses were the best descriptions he could think of. But the Ground Floor of this place was so... orderly. Neat. Clean. There were men with weapons and the way they carried themselves suggested they knew their use, but the tables, and ink pots and stacks of neat parchment... it looked more like an accounting office. as he entered a couple of merchants were making out complaints - one for theft, another for some damn beggar who'd been chasing trade from his street - all of it taken down quite precisely.

Until he walked in, of course.

Now that, he had been expecting. Nate was aware of how he looked to these lawful types. Sunberth-raised, he strode and did not dip his head nor slump his shoulders when he stood. Every beast in The Berth was either predator or prey, and Nate had learned young how to look like the former. Deep green eyes scanned the room, a hint of challenge in them that he couldn't suppress... and he made the simple deduction of assuming the nearest table would be the best place to start.

The man behind it was older than the fit, young men who were outside. Grizzled and running to fat, he didn't quail before Nathaniel, just furrowed his brow and then arched one greying eyebrow as the big man squeezed onto a chair.

"What are you looking for, friend?"

Nate blinked. He was getting the impression that his usual question would have been "How can I help you?", and there was an edge to the "friend" that seemed to say "that is what you are, right?". But he didn't dwell on it. He was leaving hell on earth and making his way in the City of Scrolls. Of course there would be... transitional problems.

"I, ah..." He cleared his throat and found his words, voice a baritone rumble. "I am Nathaniel Ankah, of Sunberth. Was, anyway. Now I am here, and studying at the University."

No-one laughed, at least openly. Well, that was progress.

"Fortune to you studies, lad... but you didn't answer the question, did you?"

Nathaniel filled his lungs and tilted his chin. Asking with his face tucked low like a beggar asking for crumbs was not his nature, and would not impress anyone.

"I am told this place is... lawful. That you have need of men who enforce laws. The rules of the city."

"True enough, aye. The Wave Guard has that honored duty."

"I want to join you."

Nathaniel Ankah
Player

Words: 186484
Joined roleplay: May 24th, 2014, 3:52 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Qualifications (Ricky)

Postby Ricky Maze on July 26th, 2014, 6:23 am

oocTaking a more different approach than with the usual "enter stage right" that usually follows in my post, given this is set up perfectly to flow along into the scheme of things. :P You can try and see if the guy Nate's talking to might know something, or just directly approach Ricky. Either way I'm excited to be writing with you mate!

The old fellow Nate sat with gave a good laugh, something that was thought to have been taken in a joking manner at first. Either way when Nate seemed to finally be taken serious, the man he spoke with still held an amused grin in his expression when he responded to the statement. "Join you say?! Joining isn't something you just go about doing on the fly lad, you have to prove your a dedicated individual for the task if you want to be a part of the guard." He would glance over to the reception desk at first, where the woman who handled the filing and applications of those who wished to be a recruit sat down at. "That fine woman there is where you have to go first, speaking with her would be helpful to your cause. Once you fill out a form, then you're considered 'recruit material' to start with. But," He raised a finger to draw Nate's attention, "that's only the easy part. Showing your fit to be a guardsman is the challenge the lot of them can't handle."

He watched Nate then and fell into a state of intrigue, curious as to whether or not this Sunberth ruffian was actually so serious about joining the Guard, specifically joining something that involved upholding the very thing he used to reject. It was then a figure would be spotted as he walked onward, one that was just as large as Nate himself save for a difference in a few inches. However the large and bulky individual carried himself well, the confidence in his uniform present as he approached the woman at the front desk. "Aaaah, one of the Sergeants no less. A good man with a good heart at best, I think he might be willing to help you out with any further ambitions you have with the Wave Guard." The old man pointed out with interest, curious to see how Nate would go about approaching this character. The man who had entered was none other than Ricky Maze of course, one that wasn't quite known throughout the guard yet, but had worked hard enough to at least make a small name for himself.

He too wore the same azure uniform as the rest, with but a beautifully crafted elaborate longsword at his waist. What he was doing here could've easily been assumed obvious to those considered business among the guards the same, but to any individual who knew better he could've very well likely had multiple things to take care of before the day was over with.
Journal - Plotnotes - Announcement!
Scrapbook - Shop (Closed)- Vlogs
Credit goes to Fallon for allowing me to temper with her codings! :)
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Words: 2035002
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2011, 9:02 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Qualifications (Ricky)

Postby Nathaniel Ankah on July 26th, 2014, 7:24 pm

Nate ground his teeth silently as the pudgy desk man chortled and tittered at him. Oh, yes. Quite a wheeze. Man who looks like a Guardsman's nightmare comes in and wants to on the azure. Ho ho. What fun.

But, he had to admit, the man didn't waste time with insults or sarcasm afterwards. Nate had made an earnest pitch, and the Guard was answering it with alacrity and honesty.

"If I say I want to join, then I don't just mean I want to wear your shiny uniform and parade about like some dandy," Nate said, voice as level as before but eyes shining with a hard gleam, in no mood to have his sincerity questioned. "I know you have to have strength, and not just in your arms. You have to know the law. Know when to lay it down, and how. I have my studies, but they don't pay for themselves, so I need this place, also. I could... make money elsewhere, but I would rather it be lawful."

East Street sprang to mind, and wasn't it telling that the possibility for mischief there struck him before honest labor on the Docks? That Customs Officer he'd met when he first arrived had tried to warn him from there, which was proof enough that it would be his sort of place.

But how would it benefit you in the long-term, hmm? Say a year from now and your studies flourish, but you end up clapped in irons over a handful of coins in some shithole?

Nate must have made some kind of impression, though, because the portly desk man directed him over to a prim and preserved woman at another desk. A young man was shaking hands with her, chest stuck out with pride, and she was doing her best not to roll her eyes as she smiled. The Sunberthian licked his lips. Writing... hmm... well, that might be problematic, but...

"I shall do that. Thank you for-"

Nate flushed as he was interrupted but once he found out why, he didn't mind so much. A new face and a new breed, as it were, had just strolled into the office. Something called a "Sergeant", which Nate assumed was a higher rank for the regular Guardsmen. Probably like the captains and bosses in Sunberth, or the myriad of ranks the Daggerhands used before they imploded. Nate looked the big man over, and admittedly was impressed.

The uniform was crisp and gleamed in placed with gold braid and brocade. Nate sniffed. Back home it was back alley tattoos, piercings and necklaces of ears and noses. Here? Fashion sense. But the body packed into the uniform and the face above it were anything but soft. Hard and tanned, much like Nate's own, and the big brawler felt some odd kinship for the man, if only because it was clear this was no noble who'd bought his rank nor rich man's son who'd been indulged.

A man who raised himself up. How familiar.

Nate thanked the desk man again, pausing only to wonder what the bar on his shoulder meant... probably another rank thing... then walked over to the new arrival. As he got closer he could see the long sword at the man's hip. Over four feet long and with intricate patterning on the pommel and grip, it was clearly as much a mark of the Sergeant's quality as his uniform and his bearing. Nate would wager you didn't get a weapon like that in the hands of lowly Guardsmen.

Wonder how you get higher here? Don't suppose killing your boss is the done thing...

Nate sidled up next to the man as he spoke to that same woman, waiting for one or both to notice, and taking a certain childish satisfaction in noticing he was still looking down on the Seregeant. Well, that made at least one thing he, ahem, "topped" him in. After a moment the woman turned her gaze to him and nodded.

"Young man?"

"I'd like to join the Wave Guard. I was told you could help and this... Sar-gent could help me further."

Nathaniel Ankah
Player

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Qualifications (Ricky)

Postby Ricky Maze on July 26th, 2014, 10:29 pm

When he had entered he had only done so to report in really, to see if today he had to patrol any more routes or if he'd been given today to train as prior his request. He by all means hardly gave notice to anybody else when he had first arrived at the desk, thus his conversation with the woman seemed as normal as any other given day he worked here.

"G'day Mr. Maze."

"G'day t' yew lass, got me orders fer de day?"

"I do indeed! The Lieutenant dropped them off around ten chimes earlier." The receptionist gave a soft smile to Ricky as she handed him a folded parchment with the wax seal of the Wave Guard's insignia on it. He took a moment to open it up and review it first hand upon receiving it, a grin on his face soon present after he finished giving it a quick read.

"Trainin t'day. Ain't dat somet'in." He remarked as he read the letter, little did he realize another had stood next to him. Well he noticed them sure but the man was probably here for the lady at the desk, hence when he heard the woman address him he made sure to divert just a bit to give the two a bit of room.

"Young man?" She called to him before he answered her, when the fellow seemed to point out that he wanted to join the Wave Guard, Ricky felt himself chuckle a little as he always enjoyed hearing of new potential recruits. Yet the fellow referred to him next, calling him Sergeant but in an bit of an odd manner. It wasn't something that bothered Ricky but to hear himself be addressed, especially in the manner that had occurred, it definitely sparked a moment of confused interest as he failed to believe it was actually him the man spoke of.

"Eh? Yew say Oi can 'elp yew out now?" Ricky's expression looked a little lost at first, until he realized that the guy probably meant in terms of training or something along those lines. Gods only knew he just needed a few pointers in a few things, seeing as how he definitely looked to be able to handle himself. At first glimpse Ricky didn't really think much seeing as how he hardly paid mind to everyone around him nowadays, but upon closer inspection he noticed that this man who approached them... he had a air about him that was familiar, a certain sense Ricky could pick up on as he too felt the same in a different way. The need to prove oneself. That's what this fellow gave as an impression, only it wasn't a need that resonated within. It was an iron will that would make it happen, something that made Ricky believe this guy already had real potential as a guard.

"Well sir you would need to fill out this form here if you wish to be a recruit, and as for Mr. Maze here that would be up to him if he were to help you further." The lady instructed as she placed a form on the desk in front of her for him to fill out, her demeanor suggested more work was already on her way but nevertheless she still remained courteous to the two.

"T'anks lass, Oi'll see dat he gits it done." He nodded in appreciation to her before he looked back to the man. "Roi den, so yew wanna join huh? First we gotta do dis, den we'll see what we can do t' git yew started as a recruit. How does dat sound?" He suggested with a humble tone and soft look in his eyes, if anything he held a friendly approach to the man seeing as how he may very well involve training him later on.

ooc :
So the form can be found in this post here, all you need to do is copy and paste it into your next post and have it filled out so we can continue with the plot. :)
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Qualifications (Ricky)

Postby Nathaniel Ankah on July 28th, 2014, 12:46 am

Nate had only a vague idea of what trials he would have to undergo to be a Guardsman, but he was ready for them all. Tests of strength, tenacity... crossing swords, wrestling, maybe? He'd tried to think a little more deeply and wondered if interrogation or spotting a criminal brand wouldn't be out of the question.

He hoped that last one was true: he'd seen every kind from Ravok slaves to Syliran rapists to Eypharian outcasts. But the one holy dread he had not been expecting?

Writing.

Bugger.

For an instant the big man's hard features cracked into the mask of a child about to panic, but with a crick of his neck and a clearing of his throat, he took the paper and the quill that looked more like a nub in his fingers. Casting looks out from under his eyebrows, Nate bent over the parchment and sounded out the words silently.

Name. Ah, well, that's easy enough.

Name: Nathaniel Ankah

His script was the slow, careful scratching of a man who had come late to literacy. Cursive was beyond him and each letter was a little monument to itself, the "i" dotted precisely as he finished.

Another easy one... comparatively. Kay had made a guess at how old he was when he started living with her, and he had some vague recollection of gifts and sweet cake in the early days of Summer. He assumed it was his birthday.

Height: Six And A Half Foot Feet

Damn, that one always tripped him up. Kay told him that the spelling was different for when there was more than one of something. He put a neat line through it, shuffling uncomfortably in his seat as he did.

Weight: About Eighteen Stones

Now he regretted not weighing himself before he left Sunberth, but it wasn't like weigh stations were on every street corner.

The next one gave him pause. He knew what the word was, but what did that have to do with his back? After a few moments Nate let out a low "ooooooh" of understanding and then started writing again.

Educational Background: I Can Read And Rite Write. I Have Not Been To Scool.

He hesitated at the end. Should he really tell them that? Surely they would know from his accent, his bearing, that he was from Sunberth, and there were only two schools there: the Orphanage and the streets. He taken the latter for most of his life; the former had been... hit and miss.

You need to tell them the truth, or it will be found out. They are learned people, here. They can spot ignorance, probably.

Well, that was a fine ideal to live up to, but when he got to the next section, Nate firmly decided to be more discreet. His familiarity with brawling and criminality was an advantage to the Wave Guard, he always knew. But there was no need to tell them just how familiar.

Work Background: I Used To Work On The Docks In Sun Berth. I Worked There For Six Sixteen Years. I Was Gard Guard For The Wagons With Goods On When I Was Told To Be.

To his two patient watchers (well, one of them: the lady was already tidying up a pile of clerical errors the last shift had left her with), it would seem that Nate attacked the last section with some relish. Ah, this was where his skills lay, or at least the skills he had honed until that point. So he stretched his fingers and laid it out in clear ink...

Combat Experience: I Have Been Fiting Fighting In Rings And Pits And Gutters Since I Was A Boy. For Coin And To Live. I Know How To Use Mace and Kucri Kukri.

It wasn't much to some, but Nate was oddly proud of it. Living into your fourth decade in Sunberth was something of an achievement, after all. He blew on the parchment to help the ink dry and flipped it over, sliding it across the table back to his watchers.

A big, happy grin split his face, and it touched his eyes without concern. It was the most he'd written in quite some time. He tapped the top of it and nodded to the Sergeant with the strong accent he had to follow like a rat running through a drainpipe.

"That is everything, Sar-Gent. What's next?"

Nathaniel Ankah
Player

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Qualifications (Ricky)

Postby Ricky Maze on July 30th, 2014, 2:07 am

Ricky watched with patience as the boy seemed to take a bit of time filling out just a simple form, given that he definitely had a different air and foreign appearance to him, he was definitely from a place that didn't find enlightenment in education. A sad reality that Ricky as well as the city often forget, given that they were a place full of knowledge and education. Of course it didn't mean he pitied the fellow, if anything he hoped that his time in the city would be fun and in turn enlightening on his part. Given that this place was so full of possibilities and experiences, it was definitely a place bound to be fruitful in any efforts the man was bound to pursue.

When the man seemed to finally finish and hold a smile that could only define achievement for Ricky, the fisherman in turn gave a grin as he took the form to give it a quick review before he would hand it over to the receptionist. Nathaniel Ankah... T'irty two summers, can read an' write, an' worked as a guard fer de docks in Sunberth... so he's likely done some odd jobs, given de city ain't got any real laws t' follow. Given Ricky had a taste of what Sunberth had to offer in his pit stop to Nyka last year, he could assume there was definitely more to this Nathan than what the man let on. Something that was to be worked out later when it was of importance, right now all that remained was helping him see that he was now an official recruit, and make sure he knew what it was he needed to do in order to become an actual part of the Wave Guard.

"Looks good mate," Ricky said as he handed the form over, his eyes directed to Nathan after the woman took it to add to the small pile of other recruit forms that had been filled, "Next is de part where yew decide 'ow much yew want t' be part o' de Guard, some want it enough t' work 'ard while ot'ers work 'ard as petch t' make sure dey get de job. Its a simple process but dere is several obstacles yew'll need t' overcome, an' de first is probably somet'in yew won't 'ave any trouble gettin' a grasp wit'." He assured the Sunberthian with a friendly smile, he felt pretty sure that Nathan was bound to accomplish this with no problem what so ever. "First ye need t' know how t' fight, but just fightin' ain't enough t' make it int' de Guard. Ye need t' be able t' use a weapon as well as fightin' unarmed, an' practice wit' a shield t' be able t' defend yerself also. Plus learnin' the laws o' Zeltiva will help yew understand de way we do t'ings, an' learnin' more bout de guard an' its jurisdictions would t'. When de time comes and yew prove ready, better know 'ow t' swim cause de final trial involves an ol' tradition recruits 'ave t' do."

He waited to see if all the information sunk in for Nathan seeing as how it could be a bit overwhelming, nevertheless he was pretty sure the man had caught on to what requirements he needed before the final test would come along. "Pretty much ye'll swim out t' a rock quite a ways from where yew start, believe me it ain't easy t' git dere without some proper background in swimmin practices. Once ya finish wit' dat den yew 're officially a guardsman in the ranks. Now," Ricky crossed his arms as he thought to test and see if Nathan was absolute with his decision, "d' ya feel like yer up t' de task? Joinin's ain't entirely easy nor 'ard, but de responsibility o' bein' a guard can be taxin at times. Oi'm more den 'appy t' help ya out in yer efforts o' course, but Oi just wanna make sure ye feel up t' de work it'll take t' become an actual guard."
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Qualifications (Ricky)

Postby Nathaniel Ankah on August 2nd, 2014, 11:21 pm

Nate listened as best he could, picking out most of the words that were volleyed at him in that lilting accent that shaved and carved letters off words like a drunken butcher. At the mention of weapons he couldn't keep the excitable gleam from his eyes; the predatory smile that showed his teeth. Out of instinct his hands brushed his mace and kukri... but then a new tool a mentioned. A shield? Gods, when had been the last time he'd seen a Berth Boy use those things?

Different cities, different methods. What's learning one more? You'll be doing plenty of learning, anyway.

More than he knew, as it turned out, and his pleasure turned to distaste as Ricky spoke of the laws and codes he would have to know. Which made sense, of course... but didn't make it any more palatable. How many were there, he wondered? Was it fairly simple? No stealing, no killing, no rape or beating men half to death in the street, and that was it? Or were there endless reams of minutiae and detail and paragraphs for every offence or prevarication that men could commit?

Nate stifled a groan and massaged the side of his near-shaved head instead. His world would be less of ale and fighting pits, more parchment and patrols and cramming an ocean of knowledge into his pint glass brain.

Then swimming came up. Well. He should have been expecting that. Wave Guard, after all... but before his thoughts could meander on the times he'd snuck away as a boy to swim the the sewage-laden Docks, wondering if that would prepare him for the test, Ricky spoke to him again.

A man's question. The only question that mattered, really. Having "what it took" wasn't enough for a moment, or a day, or even a season. You have to have that conviction and determination for years, or you weren't worth the effort in training. Nate met the man's steady gaze with his own and nodded slowly, just so there'd be no misunderstanding.

"As long as I have my studies here, you'll have a Guardsman in me to call on. When I pass your trials, anyway."

Just the twinkle of bravado behind that lopsided smile. Not if. When.

Nathaniel Ankah
Player

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Qualifications (Ricky)

Postby Ricky Maze on August 6th, 2014, 2:53 am

A slight residual amount of mirth welled within the reaches of Ricky's chest as he couldn't help but release an amused grin, Nate's assurance towards being up to the test for joining had been a breath of fresh air for the fisherman seeing as how he hardly interacted with new recruits. That is unless it came to their first day of training of course, which by then they were either ready to soil their drawers or get the chance to wail on somebody. Either way they all were drawn into a single draft Ricky liked to think, and it was the fact that everybody who joined to become a recruit, they had something about them that they wanted to prove in the end. Nathaniel was a foreigner and by the sound of it he was partaking in the University, therefore he was literally going to be juggling both work and studies when the time came for him to stand up and take the job.

Thus it encouraged Ricky to see just how far Nathan was really willing to go, as words were only valued when their meaning was backed with act. So did he expect Nathan to be able to back up his word? Keep himself all resolute and driven even when the road ahead of him could very well be tough? Being a Wave Guard was quite hard at times, hard treacherous work depending on what ungodly problematic even was unleashed on the city, half the time Ricky was just as thankful to have a regular ordinary day as the rest of his fellow comrades. But to go above and beyond for the sake of the city was something that required a choice, one that Ricky knew the new recruit would have to make when that time finally came. Until then it was training and more training until he passed the trials, and then of course there was the usual routine every guard would no doubt be happy or blessed to follow.

"Roi den, Oi'll assume dat yer background required ya t' know a bit 'bout fightin. So Oi'll be straight forward an' t' de point, Oi'm able t' help ya wit' any trainin' ye need. Only t'ing is yew 'ave to work hard t' reach yer goals, learnin' de laws Zeltiva 'as an' more 'bout de Wave Guard in general would be a good start. Now if ye wanna git started on dat we can, or if yew wanna approach anot'er requirement ye'll 'ave to reach t' join we can do dat as well." Ricky explained with an offer as he crossed his arms, he looked pretty determined to see just what exactly Nate would decide upon. By the looks of it Nate was quite a seasoned fighter at least, given he came from one of the most violent places in Sylira it could easily be expected of course.

"So whatch'a wanna do mate?" He flashed a smirk to the new recruit then, interested to see what Nathan would start with.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Qualifications (Ricky)

Postby Perplexity on November 1st, 2014, 2:11 pm

Nathaniel :
Please update your ledger to reflect Summer 514 seasonal expenses. When this is done contact me for your grade at your earliest convenience.

Ricky :
Skills:
  • Leadership | +2 EXP
    Storytelling | +1 EXP
Lores:
  • Nathaniel Ankah: Sunberther
    Nathaniel Ankah: Wants To Join The Wave Guard
    Storytelling: The Traditions of the Wave Guard

Comments :
Sorry to see this end so abruptly. If you have questions, comments or concerns feel free to contact me at your earliest convenience.
Perplexity's Office Status

Perplexity
DS of Zeltiva, Mod Privileges in Wildlands

Words: 440795
Joined roleplay: July 11th, 2013, 11:59 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)