Open [Bronze Woods] Making More Friends.

Scouting and ranging in the Bronze Woods leads to interesting developments.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Stretching northward along the coastline of the Suvan Sea, the Cobalt Mountains are the home of the Bronze Wood, numerous ruins, and creatures both strange and fantastical.

[Bronze Woods] Making More Friends.

Postby Archailist on August 3rd, 2014, 8:16 pm

My Words | Your Words | My Thoughts

He shook his head quietly. "You can't spend your entire life depending on other people for your help. You need to find a way to live by yourself.. become independent.. or what kind of a life are you living, if any?" Of course, there were those that needed to rely on others for things. Those that couldn't hunt for their own food, relied on those that could hunt for their daily meals. Those that couldn't build their own houses, relied on stonemasons. But for their entire life.. one could never rely on one group to uphold their entire way of living. It was always asking for trouble. "Making armour, and weapons, will always be a valuable place in the world. But you can't tell me that you don't wonder about finding something better. I'm not talking about leaving Syliras this instant. But do you really think you can spend your whole life in one city, doing the same thing, for nearly a hundred years." He wasn't sure anyone could. If she could, he didn't know what to say.. other than that she'd likely be throwing her life away.

Then, they came to another notion of heart-break. Great. Dead mother, dead father.. well, no wonder she was sheltered, then. Nobody left to push her out of the nest. He'd be damned if he was the one to do it, but it looked like there'd be little other choice. This girl needed to learn of the truth. "You can't rely on the city for everything. Syliras is a great city.. one of peace and unity and understanding. But it's not a baby-sitter. It won't do everything for you." He looked to her again, glancing up and down her body. He could only imagine what ran through her head, after all. Perhaps it was better that he didn't know. "The knights are there to protect the city from those that would do it harm. Do its citizens from harm. Even if those willing to do harm, are the citizens themselves. They are only people. Like you, or me. They're not Gods. They do what they can." And we help them, however we can. The last part, he left out. He didn't know why.

Well, at least he seemed to have pushed something through her head. "It's good to know you want it. Although, I'm afraid I don't know enough about those things to help you." Even if he did, he wouldn't have time - he was a squire of the Order, and therefore his days would always be filled with patrols, or training.. or something to help him when it eventually became time to take his mantle at knighthood. How could he possibly begin training people, while he was in training himself. "I'm sure you'll find someone who can tell you what you know."

After all of this probing.. it looked like the girl would get an inside view into the life of the squirrel. The last person he expected, too, to be explaining himself to. "You think I was always a squire? I'm not that young, I'm afraid. I've always wanted to be a knight, helping people.. protecting them from the outside world. But that didn't mean I joined up straight away. I went out.. I went to go and see the world I would be protecting Syliras from. I travelled all the way to Nyka, Ravok.. went down to Zeltiva, Sunberth; I even moved over to Sahova for a while." He felt pretty pleased for himself, thanks to that journey, too. It'd opened his eyes to the dangers and the wonders of the world, and what they held for him. "I explored the world already. Now I'm settling in the city that I've always loved, and I'm going to try and find my true form." Wherever it would eventually lead him.

"Five years, I've explored the world. I'll only live to.. thirty years? twenty-five years?" He chuckled quietly - although there was a tinge of melancholy to his voice by then. "That means I will have spent fifteen to twenty years of your life, exploring." He wondered what she thought of that.
Archailist
And the potter said unto the clay, BE WARE...

Words: 942771
Joined roleplay: November 28th, 2013, 8:20 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Minerva Ravitz on August 4th, 2014, 12:19 am

Minerva began to smile, feeling more at ease with the squirrel as the conversation continued. "Independent, eh? You mean do everything myself, for myself? I defend myself, hunt for myself, make my own shelter, teach myself the tools of the trade... unless you can solve all that for me, I'm stuck relying on others for something or other, and there's not a whole lot I can do." Granted, she hadn't even thought of trying it. But now that she thought of it, the vast majority of her needs were supplied by the city: food, shelter, protection, even entertainment when she got a break. And she had a pre-defined purpose, even if it did happen to be one of churning out materials for the city's operation. "I kind of get what you're saying. I think. Check out other options, because what I've got isn't good enough. It does work, though, and if I stayed in the city I've a better chance of survival than roaming the countryside. Preparation or no preparation. I'm not saying I'm just gonna hole up in that place though. It's boring." Minerva chuckled as she came to a realization. She turned to face her squirrel friend directly, beaming. "That's what you mean, isn't it! You're worried I'll bore myself to death! So I need to explore. But exploring gets me lost. I'll have to fix that, maybe keep track of where I've been and such. Yeah." Toward the end, her voice dropped to a talking-to-herself level, musing that she'd need paper and such to draw the land.

Talk of baby-sitting snapped her out of her now-monologue. Her attitude came back in full irritated force. "I'm aware. I'm fully aware. I'm fully aware that the Syliran Knights and their healers refused to 'babysit'--" she made air quotes and took a condescending tone to emphasize her point, "--my mother in her time of greatest need. And she died for it. We knew the focus was the city, but isn't disease just as much of a threat as brigands and thieves? Grrrr...." A resolve flashed across her eyes as another epiphany struck her. "This city is far from perfect. The knights may do what they can, but it seems there's much they cannot do. Much that needs to be done. Things walls are useless against. And I'll need to go outside those walls to do so, won't I..." Her resolve died down briefly as she realized just how ill-equipped she was to undertake what she was planning to do. She fell silent for a while and simply followed the squirrel for a time.

She did hear the rest of what the squirrel had to say, that regarding his lifespan, his explorations, but she really didn't have much to respond with that wouldn't seem invasive to her. So, she instead opted for a different approach. "You're a Syliran Knight, right? Apprentice Blacksmith Minerva here. I can try my hand at making a weapon suitable for someone of your size, if you'd like. Just stop by the Ironworks and I'll see what I can do -- no promises though, I'm still just an apprentice!"
Minerva Ravitz
Player

Words: 11134
Joined roleplay: July 31st, 2014, 3:24 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Archailist on August 4th, 2014, 1:00 am

He shrugged silently in response to her problems. After all, he wouldn't be the one to solve all of them. Just as the knights refused to baby-sit and solve all of the problems in the world, so would he. "Then you need to change that. You need to start living your own life and making your own mistakes in the world." After all, as he'd said before, what was the point in living otherwise? She seemed to be getting the basics of what he was trying to get across, so he guessed there was that. A starting point. The first brick, in what would soon become a castle of her own. Perhaps one day, she would truly have her own castle.

Although, not with the attitude she held. Not at all. "Brigands and thieves are the ones that can be protected against. Diseases.. less so." It took anyone with a sword to take down a few bandits and whatnot pestering the edges of the Bronze Woods.. but it would take much more than that to heal even the commonest of illnesses in the citizens that lay beyond the wall. And even then, there were those that would be beyond what they could provide. There would never, ever, be one above the reach of a sword or an arrow. There existed, in the world, weapons that could even destroy the Gods if they came close. Disease, would not take a sword to kill, though. It would take so much more. "You can't blame the Knights for her death, I'm afraid. Sometimes, these things happen and they cannot be avoided. I am no doctor, but I know this."

This anger would get her nowhere. However. "There is much the knights cannot do. Yet. And that, is why we devote ourselves to making sure that other do not have the same fate fall to them, as did to us." There. He finally found the right time to use that somewhere. And he felt like he'd really put a difference in someone's opinions of not just the city - but life, in general. Quite an eye-opening experience, in all truth. And something he might even be able to get a little extra out of. They were coming close to the city by that point - he could actually see the city walls, between the gaps of the trees. A few moments later, and they'd cleared even that - at long last. Xarex looked like he was about ready for a nice, long nap. "Well, that does sound lovely. Whenever you have the time, I'd be happy to come along and help in any way possible." Indeed, even that moment would be perfect.. although he didn't know what the apprentice had planned for the evening.
Archailist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Minerva Ravitz on August 5th, 2014, 12:15 am

Minerva looked like she was counting some invisible objects in the air, one hand held up with the fingers tapping who-knows-what. "Already got a plan. First mistake, coming out here without knowing how to get back. Map'll fix that. I'll be back next time I get a chance." She really didn't have a plan beyond that, but as long as she didn't have to stay out overnight, she expected to be fine. "But ya know, I've still got a job to do. You said weapons and armor will always have their place, right? I'll still make that my focus. I'll just... I'll tack on some basic skills so that I'm not completely helpless." She walked along, making note of what skills might be useful. Botany? Hunting? Survival? Navigation for sure.

Or perhaps Smacking Sense into Lazy Good-For-Nothings. The squirrel's next comment set Minerva off. "Then what good are healers and medics?! Diseases can't be protected against? We have members of the city's ranks devoted specifically to fighting diseases, and you're saying I can't blame them for sitting around and doing nothing?! They didn't lift a finger. At all. Just a passing look-over before deciding a smith wasn't worth their time." She took a deep breath. "They... they're my paycheck right now. And I begrudge them not the task of defending this city. But still..." She trailed off. It had barely been two full seasons since her mother died. She'd spent a fair bit of her life and resources trying to fend off a disease she had no idea how to fight. She realized she was likely still letting the grief gnaw at her, and should try to relax a bit. "...it's not like yelling at them would do any good. No sense dwelling."

Besides, there was the matter of making a sword for a five-inch-tall clay knight. Minerva's plan was to cast what would essentially be a fat metal toothpick. "I'm busy tomorrow, but any time after that would be good." She and the squirrel carried on until they approached the main gates of Syliras.
Minerva Ravitz
Player

Words: 11134
Joined roleplay: July 31st, 2014, 3:24 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Archailist on August 5th, 2014, 1:09 am

The squirrel nodded in thought for a few moments - listening to the new plan with avid interest. It seemed she had everything she would need.. although unfortunately, he couldn't offer that much help. "The last time I was in this city was five years ago.. I don't know of anyone that could give you the help you'd need, I'm afraid." It was such a shame - he really did want to help the girl out in any way that he could, but unfortunately his spread of knowledge was quite limited. "Maybe you should explore Syliras a little more. Start out with what you know and work your way up from there. Go into some different businesses, ask around.. soon enough you'll find someone." It was bordering on utterly useless advice but it was the best he had to offer.

Then, back to the bad stuff, yet again. "Diseases can be protected against, just.. not as easily as bandits. They have their reasons for doing what they did, I wasn't there.. but sometimes you have to trust them for doing the right thing. I don't know.. maybe it was too late." He truly didn't know but if healers wouldn't do anything to help.. then it sounded like there was nothing they could do to help, over the fact that they simply weren't willing to help. The girl seemed to eventually pass over the subject anyway, and he nodded in approval. "It's what's got to be done, I'm afraid. Even getting angry now, won't bring her back." He nudged Xarex and set him to a slower trot as they neared the gates; after all, this would be the point where they'd split once more. Arch still had a forest to patrol, and the girl.. had something to do, he was sure.

"I'll be there. Heh. I'm sure you'll make a great weapon, worthy of great praise." In truth, as he watched her go, he felt like it'd be a valuable decision. After all, it wasn't every day that a Pycon got a weapon specifically made for him.. out of metal, at the very least. True enough his Py-Pole had been crafted specifically for him by his family.. and his other two weapons had been bought off the Bazaar. But this.. this would be something no other Pycon had.
Archailist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Estrellir Konrath on September 8th, 2014, 8:21 pm

Archailist

Skills
Riding: Dog +2
Rhetoric +3
Socialization +1
Philosophy +2

Lores
Dog-Riding: Trusting Xarex' instinct
Minerva: Blacksmith apprentice
Minerva: Leads a sheltered life
Syliras: Protective & restrictive
The Nature of the Syliran Knights

Other
Shield Points +3

Minerva Ravitz

Skills
Observation +2
Rhetoric +2
Socialization +1
Philosophy +1

Lores
Archailist: Squirrel on a dog
Archailist: Squire
Syliras: Protective & restrictive
The Nature of the Syliran Knights

Comments

An interesting thread, great conversation between you two! It'll be exciting to see Minerva grow from this meeting. I wasn't sure which skills to award, but I hope they're alright considering the purpose of the thread. As always, PM me with any questions or concerns!

Estrellir Konrath
She Who Finds What Was Lost

Words: 338742
Joined roleplay: September 13th, 2013, 8:24 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Previous