A Hunting We Will Go [Aran]

Aran takes Rue on an a hunting trip

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Naiya on July 28th, 2014, 7:06 pm

It was not entirely comfortable for Rue to face a stranger and be expected to fall into his presence with grace, but Aran seemed to understand her discomfort, or maybe he was in a similar position, because he asked after her strider. It was a subject anyone could call on, a topic of pride even, and she was happy to have a chance to praise Wildfire.

Rue was able to laugh along with Aran's lighthearted berating of his own strider, she often found herself in a similar position with hers. She could certainly share such things about Wildfire with Aran. "When you see him you will see his name doesn't just strive from his behavior. Although it was his speed and his stubborn nature that prompted me to call him such." Her love for the horse was plainly read in the shape of her body, even as she turned her words to Wildfire's less lovable qualities. "He is young, it makes him playful when maybe he shouldn't be, and he often seeks to assert his dominance in situations that do not call for it."

She smiled as the memory of her first meeting with the falcon woman who was Khida, and at the utter confusion the other woman had faced at Wildfire's antics. "He learns quickly though, and I often find him to be more intelligent than I expect."

She realized she had probably said more than was strictly called for in such a situation so she let herself grow quiet, looking out across the horses for the chestnut coat of her partner.
Naiya
Player

Words: 766506
Joined roleplay: June 14th, 2013, 5:11 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Aran Windblown on July 29th, 2014, 1:56 pm

Aran whistled for Anyalvis, and was rewarded with the stallion's head popping up-- although he didn't come closer, instead snorting and tossing his head, as if daring Aran to come after him. "Stupid horse," Aran muttered, though his voice was fond, if irritated. "He knows what I want, he's just being stubborn." He'd been working on calling Anyalvis to him with a whistle, lately, but it was hit-and-miss. Today was a miss. Rolling his eyes, Aran hoisted his yvas higher on his shoulder and waded into the herd, stopping every so often to pet or scratch under a horse's forelock when it was offered, although he laughed and pushed their noses away from his pockets.

Aran was just grateful that Anyalvis didn't try to run-- he didn't fancy chasing down the Strider with the yvas and shortbow over his shoulder. He swiftly tacked up, and then led Anyalvis over to Rue. "This is Anyalvis-- he is sixteen summers." The Strider was tall, standing at sixteen hands, and he was still spry for his age. He also still had every bit of his personality, and he whickered and stretched his neck out, lipping at Rue's hair playfully. Aran flicked him on the shoulder. "Behave," he admonished. Anyalvis just turned and snorted at him, spraying horse boogers all down the front of Aran's shirt. Aran made a disgusted noise and wiped his shirt off with his hand, only to then wipe his hand off on Anyalvis's neck. "You can have those back."
"Pavi"
"Common"
"Tukant"

School and family have been very busy lately; as such, while I am trying to keep up with Mizahar, my muse is feeling very finicky. I will reply ASAP.
Aran Windblown
Player

Words: 41102
Joined roleplay: November 25th, 2013, 1:39 pm
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Naiya on July 29th, 2014, 3:42 pm

More than one horse looked up at the piercing cry of Aran's whistle, though most with only mild interest. Rue let out a soft hum of pleasure as she spotted Wildfire's head perking towards the sound with others's.

"Wildfire" Rue called softly to him, saddened to find he no longer ran to the front of the herd at the sound of her approach. It only made sense since she was more often tending the horses than coming to ride, but it still caused her no small amount of sadness.

Wildfire looked towards her at the sound of his name and whinnied loudly in greeting, she smiled in return and showed him her yvas, and he trotted toward her through the other horses. He dropped his head low and uttered a soft nicker as he arrived. Rue offered him her hand and he used it to scratch an itch on his cheek.

She was still looking Wildfire over for ticks and wounds when Aran returned, and she straightened to greet the new horse, purposefully standing between the others and Wildfire.

"Anyalvis." Rue murmured the name with the soft reverence meeting someone important, the horse responded by lipping at her hair. She would have petted the strider but Aran called his attention with a chiding word, which left Rue to attend her horse once more.

She lifted a large hoof from under her horse, and he shifted his weight to lean against her as she did the weight, that should have meant little, staggered her and she dropped his hoof unceremoniously in the dirt. Wildfire looked nearly as shocked as Rue, and he quickly offered the hoof back to her in what could only be an apology.

She flushed, more embarrassed at her lack of grace than anything else, and dug in her bag to find her hoof pick-- only to remember tripping on it back at the pavilion.

She turned back to the gently bickering pair and asked, "Did you bring a hoof pick? I seem to have forgotten my grooming gear." Wildfire's hooves weren't in desperate need of the small tool, but she preferred to take care of it before riding anyway. She did use her fingers to curry along his back and along the shape of the yvas a tactic that wouldn't make wildfire pretty before the ride, but would at least keep him comfortable. It didn't take her long, and she quickly tossed the soft pad up onto his back, and he lowered his head so she could slip it more easily over his tall form. He stood maybe a hand and a half taller than Anyalvis and she felt a small hinting of pride at having mount that stood over so many others.
Naiya
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Aran Windblown on July 29th, 2014, 4:02 pm

Aran stopped fooling around with Anyalvis long enough to listen to Rue's query; he nodded in answer, digging out his hoof pick and handing it to Rue with a smile. He checked Anyalvis over, a small pang of regret flashing through him as always as his fingers traced over the scars on Anyalvis's hindquarters, and he lifted each of Anyalvis's hooves, picking out the larger stones with his fingers before releasing the foot.

He watched Rue finish grooming, nodding in appreciation at the care she showed her Strider. Not that all Drykas didn't show the same amount of affection, but it was still nice to see that at least Rue's father wasn't displeased with her for her treatment of her horse. "Do you have any specific place you wish to ride?" he asked, taking his hoofpick back when she offered it and tucking it into his pack before vaulting on Anyalvis's back.
"Pavi"
"Common"
"Tukant"

School and family have been very busy lately; as such, while I am trying to keep up with Mizahar, my muse is feeling very finicky. I will reply ASAP.
Aran Windblown
Player

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Naiya on July 29th, 2014, 4:54 pm

Despite how little Rue found the opportunity to ride now days, lifting herself onto Wildfire's back was never a problem, especially when she took the time to put on his yvas. She checked the fit of the contraption with a tug at one of the handles, and tightened the fit.

"I don't particularly like trying to squeeze riding space in to the confinement of the city, but really I would ride anywhere for the opportunity to spend the time with Wildfire." She blindly reached into her bag for a bow string, uncoiling it's length with practiced ease and slipping the end between the bottom nock of her bow. She placed the strung end against her foot and pulled and pushed the other end into place.

It was only a slight struggle to get the second end of string in place, but it was a sign of how little she had occasion to practice with her bow. It seemed that there were many things that suffered from her absence, not just her mind that was caught up in the chores befitted a wife.

She balanced the bow on a hook of the yvas before lifting herself onto Wildfire's back with a hand hold on the yvas and a well placed hop. She was sitting side saddle when he side stepped in his eagerness, and she had to grab for the yvas to remain on his back. She lifted her bow and swung her leg over the other side of Wildfire's back, settling comfortably into the space behind his withers.

She tested the draw from her quiver and deemed it off, so she adjusted the strap and checked once more. Better, but still off. She wondered if maybe it was just lack of practice.

"Ready when you are." Rue informed the other, realizing that she had kept him waiting.
Naiya
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Aran Windblown on July 29th, 2014, 5:21 pm

Aran, who had been observing and making mental notes to himself, smiled at Rue to show that he wasn't irritated or impatient. Still, with a soft cluck to Anyalvis, he set off at an easy walk. "I know of a few places where we can find some rabbits, perhaps flush some birds," he said, guiding Anyalvis with his knees as he checked his bow; he wasn't very experienced with it, but his father had shown him how to check that it was properly strung and the draw was good.

"Have you been able to do much hunting? It seems like your Ankhal is... strict." It occurred to Aran that he probably shouldn't be asking about Rue's more personal life.
"Pavi"
"Common"
"Tukant"

Aran Windblown
Player

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Naiya on July 29th, 2014, 5:50 pm

A soft urging on Rue's part set Wildfire to pace beside Anyalvis, though she could feel the tension in his body that said he would prefer a much quicker pace. She patted his neck soothingly before answering Aran's question.

"I had the opportunity to hunt once last summer, but it was mostly luck and good form with my bow that landed me the pigeon." She smiled at the memory of the kindness of the stranger who had trailed her into the grasslands on the eve of that hunt, he had fared far better than she in their hunt.

How to answer the implied question in Aran's words was a more difficult matter. Her Ankal, her father, was indeed strict, and truth be told she had not much opportunity to leave the house since the day she had arrived home slightly tipsy last fall to a man who had overheard a conversation at a bar involving considerations of Rue leaving the city. She had done little outside of the pavilion since, unless her father found a new man to send her off with as he had today. Mostly she had been trying to learn to cook, and cleaning up after the others in the pavilion, and supervising the children as they went about their own work in the household. Things like riding, hunting, and sparring had become lost to her as her family coerced her into becoming someone more resembling of wife-material.

"My Ankal, he is... protective of his family," She was pleased with her response, she had spoken only truth, and yet avoided the answers that would make her father out to be cruel. Aran didn't have to know that she had long since stopped being considered family by many of the others in her pavilion.

Yes, it was a good answer, so she continued, "And I have been very busy in the time since my last hunt, so my few skills may be rusty."

She tapped her fingers against the curved bone of her bow in what was a slightly nervous motion, "I just hope not to ruin your chances of bringing home some game."
Naiya
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Aran Windblown on July 29th, 2014, 6:03 pm

Aran chuckled slightly. " We will most likely fare about the same," he said. "I hunt for myself when I am away for my job, but even then Anyalvis and I spend more time racing the wind than hunting. " He mulled over Rue's words for a few moments; they carried the sound of truth, but Aran could not help but feel that there was more to the girl's story than what she had shared. Still, it was not his place to pry. " Would you care to go faster? Anyalvis and I have not enjoyed a run with a fellow Strider and Drykas is a long time. "
"Pavi"
"Common"
"Tukant"

Aran Windblown
Player

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Naiya on July 29th, 2014, 7:07 pm

Rue grinned at the man, she always wanted to go faster. She nodded, excitement filling the shape of her body. She glanced down at Wildfire who tightened his steps as she perched over his body. He was ready too.

She leaned slightly forward to urge him into a trot, holding her body up over his with the strength of her legs. Almost immediately she felt the burning of muscles protesting the position, muscle softened by disuse. She ignored it, stepping Wildfire into a bigger trot, only slightly worried about leaving Aran behind.
Naiya
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Aran Windblown on July 29th, 2014, 8:28 pm

Aran urged Anyalvis into a trot, letting his hips swing easily with the Strider's motion. After a moment, however, he grinned and leaned forward, resting his hands on Anyalvis's neck. "Go," he breathed, and Anyalvis leapt forward beneath him, landing in a gallop. Aran used his knees to keep himself anchored, and let out a whoop of joy. He glanced behind himself, grinning at Rue, a dare in his expression-- Anyalvis was one of the fastest Striders in Endrykas, and few could outpace him.
"Pavi"
"Common"
"Tukant"

Aran Windblown
Player

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

PreviousNext